Hunter: the Reckoning

Started by AndyZ, July 23, 2011, 12:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyZ

IC Thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=114247.0
OOC Thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=114248.0

For those who aren't familiar, Hunter: the Reckoning is an old World of Darkness game where you play ordinary people until they're suddenly granted insight into the world of the supernatural all around them.  Hunters either end up trying to save the monsters that can be redeemed (Mercy), destroying the monsters that can't (Zeal), or learning more information and making vast plans (Vision).

For those who are familiar,
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
No Hermits or Waywards.

Character sheets will be necessary.  You don't have to share them with others or post them here if you don't want to, but pictures, Strength, Charisma, Appearance, and obvious merits and flaws should be posted here once character sheets are approved.

People who are familiar with other World of Darkness creatures should know that I tend to come up with my own craziness.  Vampires will not automatically follow VtM rules, although I may at some point use creatures from various White Wolf games at my own discretion.  If I use vampires, they may burn in sunlight, they may rot in sunlight, and they might even be blinded by the powerful glare.  However, I do offer the relief that they will NEVER sparkle.

Attributes will be 7/5/3 instead of the usual, and Abilities will be 13/9/5.  Freebie points will be only 15.  If enough people want these numbers raised or lowered, however, I can adjust.

I'm not too much a fan of the Exposure background.  The monsters I'm creating are custom built, and having a background give too much away is a bit harder than it would be if I was just using canon creatures.  If you really consider it necessary, prepare a strong justification.

Fair warning that I'm not a huge fan of Flaws, and though I'll allow them, I tend to make players suffer for taking them.

I'm considering changing the way Conviction and Virtues work, as explained in this Spoiler tag:
According to the book, you start with either 3 or 4 Conviction, but the actual value can go anywhere from 0 to 10.  Once it hits 10, you can trade in all the Conviction points for a Virtue point.  Virtue points can then be effectively spent (marked as used) in order to buy Edges.

According to the book, the level 1 Edge costs 1 Virtue point, the level 2 costs 2, 3 costs 3 and 4 costs 4.  This adds up to 10.  The level 5 would cost 5 but can't ever be bought because you don't have 15.

I'm giving everyone a Conviction rating of 5, rather than the usual 3 or 4.  This is an effective pool, and will refresh 1/day, just like Willpower.  Players who want higher ratings can buy it at a cost of 4 freebie points per dot.

Increasing the Conviction rating through XP will cost the current level *3, and each new Virtue dot will cost 10 XP, regardless of current rating or however many other Virtue points you have.

The first Edge will only cost 1 Virtue point, levels 2 through 4 will cost 2, and the level 5 will cost 3.  This puts level 1 at 1, level 2 at 3, level 3 at 5, level 4 at 7, and level 5 at 10 if you only buy Edges of one particular Creed.

If you're interested but don't know the game at all, but if you can get at least access to the Core book, feel free to hit me up for assistance.  You may also leave freebie points unspent if you know the basic rules for World of Darkness but don't know Hunter yet and want to see about deciding a few things later on.

Currently planning on allowing Hunters to soak Lethal damage.

One thing I want to make clear is that everyone will start out clueless and I'll run your induction into the world of the supernatural.  If you're aware of the Creeds and one to pick one, you may do so, as well as request various Edges.  If you're not familiar with Hunter, you can request a particular Virtue (Mercy, Vision or Zeal), or you can just jump in and we'll see what happens.

XP I will keep the same for all players.  This is just fair for me, letting everyone have the same amount of XP regardless, even if some people are newer to the game than others.

The game will be set in Extreme, just because death, blood and gore, while not sexy in and of themselves, are integral to a horror game.  It's not constant as to what will happen in the game, but I'd be shocked if it never came up at all.

That's all I can think of as per questions to answer right now.  If you have others, or if I come up with other things, I'll add them to the list here.  Meanwhile, here's a good page for character sheets:

http://mrgone.rocksolidshells.com/hunter.html

I'm considering allowing people to play Bystanders (normal humans who know about the supernatural but try to avoid it, and probably won't do much beyond interact with player characters) even without character sheets if anyone is interested in that regard.  Not sure if anyone would be, but I thought I would throw out the possibility for you hardcore freeformers.

To post character sheets here, either with a picture or a description, just follow this:

Name:
Demeanor:
Strength:
Charisma:
Appearance:
Obvious Merits and Flaws:
Background:
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

avorae

Hmm.. I may have to dig out my hunter books and see what i can come up with. Put me down as tentivly interested in joining.
Life is a hard game but the rewards are sweet if you know where to look.

Imogen

Lorraine Wells

Demeanor: Thrill Seeker
Strength: 2
Charisma: 4
Appearance: 4

[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Cold Heritage

What are you aiming for in terms of tone?
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

AndyZ

I'm not really sure I understand the question.  Could you elaborate please?
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Cold Heritage

What direction do you wish to take the game in? What are some themes you want to include and bring up in the course of the game?

AndyZ

I plan on having the game follow a mix.  Players will still have to either deal with the supernatural or find the consequences of inaction, but that won't stop family, friends and other issues from coming up as well.

I'd like to let people get to know each other in this one, not necessarily always getting along but missions won't necessitate people all teaming up.  I'd like to avoid players killing each other, but if people don't like each other, they can stay away from each other.

Not everyone will want to deal with friends and family, I expect, but I'll try to accommodate those that do.  For people that want a more violent, rough and tumble type of game, I'll make sure to have those as well.

Since I realize all that is vague, let's see what else I can come up with:

Mystery: Monsters won't be standard World of Darkness stuff.  You'll have to try to deduce what things even are...unless you just try to kill them straight off.

Teamwork: I love having games where one player knows one piece of info, the other player knows another, but you need to figure out how the two work together in order to solve the puzzle.

Since it's Elliquiy, I expect a reasonable degree of sexual congress as well, though it's not necessary to the gameplay.

I'm sure there'll be others, but mostly, though, if people have a particular theme that they want, I can provide.  Was there something in particular that you were looking for?

Cold Heritage

I like a violent, rough and tumble sort of game where I don't have to worry overly much about, say, something like a gun license being used by the vampire's secret one world government to get my character arrested and put in a gitmo somewhere. I was attracted to the game by the tagline 'take back the night,' and as it was my first World of Darkness game, I didn't know how H:tR couldn't possibly ever hope to deliver it. Your statement that you were departing from the stock WoD gave me hope that in this game, there would be a genuine chance that the Hunters could actually do something to the things that go bump in the night.

AndyZ

I've played a number of games where people didn't want to play the Imbued.  They just wanted to play ordinary hunters who had to plan, plot and scrape just to be able to take down a solitary vampire, let alone have a chance to actually upset the power structure.  This is not my idea of fun.

I'm not going to say too much yet on just what kind of monsters I plan on dealing with, but I will say that it's not going to be a secret world government.  Some creatures may have serious influence, but not the type that can have you arrested just on suspicion unless they know your name and how to get you arrested for stuff.

You'll still be expected to clean up after yourself (leaving bodies around can cause problems), but I do expect to have enough monsters that will need to be slain, and I don't like to have BBEGs that are never going to be defeated.  If you find out that the mayor is possessed by a demon, he'll still have all the powers of the mayor mixed in with the powers of a demon, but you'll still be able to take him down if you can find out how.

If you do carry a gun, having a firearms license is advised, although it'll never come up unless you actually do something where the police search you.  However, I'm not planning this on being the type of game where you need to play all sorts of politics to get things done.

If you decide to try to join, I will attempt to adjust things according to your preferences, but others who aren't looking for quite that style of game will be taken into account as well.  I don't expect everyone to be doing the same thing all at the same time, although that may well happen.

Swordsman18

Name: Vincent “Vince” Phelps
Demeanor:  Survivor
Strength:4 Charisma:2 Appearance:2

Minus the tattoos and you have Vince

Background:

From a child he was always used to helping others, though he may not have been as strong or as tough as he is today, but he always protected others, fighting for them in anyway he could. This may have come from the fact that he was raised by a cop and a nurse that both valued helping others. Somehow this had dropped into his genes, as if the blood of the innocent that was spilled each day dripped down onto his mother’s womb, allowing him to hear their cries, even when he was baby.

Of course no one knew this for sure, but Vince grew up to be the type that would save his pals, girls, and anyone he could. For he was the type to save all he could, and come out of it unscathed. This had led to all kinds of trouble such as fights, trips to the Principal’s Office , and various degrees of things.

Yet, he somehow made it through it all without a criminal record or even a bad school record. He was in fact commended for his efforts to be good and fair to all of his classmates and those who needed him. After he was done with school, he then went over to train as a firefighter. It was a job that he loved, both for what he could use it to save others, and also because of how simple it made things in  his life where he knew all he had to deal with was putting out fires.

In his spare time, he spent time with his friend Nathaniel who was a librarian at a place that always seemed to be a little bit off in Vince’s eyes. But he did not comment on it for it was what his friend liked doing so he had no place to judge.

That was just how Vince was, hanging with those who did not seem regular while also protecting everyone he could.

Cold Heritage

I will try to join up, and I will keep all you have said in mind. It is, after all, fair enough. Hopefully I'll get something figured out tomorrow.

Senti

If there is still a space could n interested I have the core book.

AndyZ

Still room for you, Senti ^_^

Senti

Thank you I have an idea....

AndyZ

Other than the people who have already been given the okay, we can probably fit in one or two more if there's other takers.

If you're interested, make sure that you have both the IC and OOC threads bookmarked.

AndyZ

Name: Carrie Dormester
Demeanor: Child
Charisma: 2
Appearance: 4

Carrie can be found at the Sunset on Everton Avenue, maintaining the place to the best of her ability.  She dresses in a faded purple T-shirt and jeans, both a size too small and apparently her only outfit.

Senti

CarnivorousBunny

Honestly, I've never heard of this game before, but I'm very interested.  Given that my character will be as ignorant as me, I'm hoping that shouldn't be much of a problem.

Haha, so may I still play even if I'm going to start as totally lost? :P
my  o&o and a&a
Current Status: Back on E, but still busy.
Sworn to the Oath of the Drake.

Senti

Age 17

STR 2
Char 3
App 4

Demeanor Survivor
Flaw homeless

Sarah Jane was born an addict, not that it was her fault, no the fact she was born to a smack head mother and likely one of her ‘clients’. Her mother did not want a child and likely during the pregnancy tried various ways to rid her self of the burden. However whether it was luck or fate or anything else the girl survived.

Of course she was destined for care; well there was no other option, at least not until her Nan turned up at the hospital. How would one describe her Nan? Salt of the earth, born and bred in the east end, a grafter…all angles and bones with hands like bed slats. As it was she may have lost touch with her daughter….but no kin of hers was going to end up in the system.

This Sarah Jane was brought up by her Grandmother. It was not an idyllic life, the area was somewhat rough, and there were a more than a few, less than salubrious characters that lived on their estate. However SJ was lucky she was one of the kids that always had new shoes at the beginning of the school year, and always had a clean uniform, Nan would not allow anything less. Thus the girl was brought up in a somewhat old fashioned style, but with relatively reasonable morals.

The schools she went to were certainly rather rough but SJ managed, she learned to fight, and hide as well as learning to read and write. The girl was bright but made sure never to shine, because that could be dangerous. So, for the most SJ remained under the radar which was the best place to be.

Unfortunately when SJ was 12 her grandmother passed away, she had a stroke and never came around from it; nonetheless her daughter crawled out of the woodwork very quickly. There was not a lot of money yet the savings she had made were significant to those that needed a fix, and the house that Nan owned was not a palace but could be sold.... However though it had been left to SJ she was too young and thus the now ‘clean’ mother turned up with her newest partner.

As it was after a few months the woman got her hands on the whole inheritance, well rather she became the legal guardian and thus had access to it. SJ’s mother did not care now she could afford her fix again, and her partner thought he was getting a two for one deal.

He did get a two for one deal, he got one kick that struck his two prize possessions.

SJ found herself on the street, but there was really no where else for her to be. Better there then in care or worse with her mother and that man. She learned quickly how to survive and indeed did, even when the world fell apart and she started to rebuild it

SJ found herself bleeding in an alleyway, she remembered something of the attack, and knew something was wrong in the world and curious by nature she started to investigate. Finding herself into deep, some group aided her and SJ found herself found herself in America, but as always she slipped through the net and found herself on the streets again…

From then on the girl survived. Something she had always done. Though from the shadows she watched and learned.

Horlicks

Horlicks is a huge Irish wolfhound, at least appears so, she has been with SJ almost since her being a pup.

Just as SJ appears a street rat, the dog appears pretty much like a canine of little brain. Still one should never make assumptions.

CarnivorousBunny

Margarita Wilson
Demeanor: Dreamer

Strength: 3
Charisma: 2
Appearance: 2

Background:
Margarita's, or Margie's, father an American businessman, found her mother in a chance meeting while he was stationed in the Philippines for business.  Mr. Wilson was thirty eight at the time, a fully matured and quiet man, while Lourdes Wilson was an old fashioned lady of twenty four.  Due to the firm, but quiet discipline her parents shared, Margie and her brother were raised in a healthy, standard and very traditional way of life.
Traditional, however, did not only mean that Margie had to learn proper etiquette and behaviors for a girl, nor did it mean that she needed to learn respect for her elders.  Margie's mother also shared some traditional stories of Filipino folk lore and practices.  Ever since, she's always had a healthy fascination with myths, mythical creatures and animism.

The eldest of the children in her clan, it was inevitable that Margie would become accustomed to taking care of people.  At times she can come off as bossy and nagging, but her family and friends just know that she does it because she cares. 
During high school she was a part of the drama club, and where she usually landed major supporting roles.  In college she took up education with a minor in Asian studies. 
While she is extremely expressive, intelligent and caring, Margie has always had a tendency to be uncomfortable with her peers in a regular setting.  She tends to keep her distance at first, and is a little awkward with strangers. Yet, even if she has few friends, she keeps them very close and would do anything to help them.

Something Margie always has held in high esteem is innocence.  It's very obvious form how she surrounds herself with children and animals.  Being with them, is being in her element. Some even claim she is innocent and naive herself.  This however, is not the case.  Margie just has a way of seeing what she wants to see despite her better judgement.  Even if she doesn't show it, her rational side and her desires are at constant war with each other.
my  o&o and a&a
Current Status: Back on E, but still busy.
Sworn to the Oath of the Drake.

AndyZ

We are now full up.  If you already talked with me, you're free to finish posting your character and all such, but I'm no longer taking in new players for folks who haven't already gotten my okay.

Eislynn

Nadia Simone, Age 23

But with darker makeup, and outfits like this:

Strength 3
Charisma 3
Appearance 4

Demeanor: Gallant

Background: Fame 2; Lead singer of Manual Automatic

As a child, Nadia was as happy go lucky and carefree as any other. Always at home in the public eye, she was eager to please.

Her father Roy was a bank manager, and passed on his knack for money handling to his daughter. What little she picked up has served her well enough. Her mother Gwen was a homemaker and costume designer for the local musical theatre. It was this influence that led Nadia to a life in the spotlight.

This idyllic childhood was not without it's tragedy. When she was eight, a neighborhood bully had shoved her into a pond. Though she easily swam to safety, her schoolmate picked a fight with the bully. His death was ruled accidental. four years later, Nadia's father was killed in a bank robbery gone wrong. These events left much sadness, and a strong sense of justice in Nadia.

In order to hide her sadness, Nadia immersed herself in music, and taught herself how to play the guitar. It was second nature for her to entertain others. She simply longed to help people forget their sadness for a while and lose themselves in the song for a while, so that she could vicariously do the same. If she wasn't on stage, she could be found covered in grease in her father's garage, maintaining his legacy, a vintage 1979 Chevrolet Stingray.   

When she got to college, she met her two best friends Renee and Aaron. Renee was a short flaming red-head with an even shorter temper. Her skills on a bass guitar were something else. Aaron was a pasty, skinny, amiable fellow. He was gentle as a guy could be until you saw him pounding away at a drum set with the fury of a beast.

Together, they formed the band Manual Automatic and gained prestige little by little in the indie rock scene. Nadia is on her way back home for the first time in a while to perform a gig at the Roughshod Club, the local indie hangout. What she doesn't know is that her life's about to change.

slowmojoe

Alan Biron

Demeanor: Dreamer
Charisma: 4
Appearance:2

Background:
Alan was regular college student. He had no special skills except the desire to create. He had no drive however to hold a steady job, as he preferred odd hours when he was the most in the mood. So he would drift to various odd jobs and use his spare time either painting, when the mood strikes, and reading any random book he can get his hands on. This drifting granted him access to small level of skill in various areas of expertise. 

His focus became what he was known for among the few friends he had managed to acquire through college, and at least his friends always told him that he was quite skilled.  The art itself was almost always some subject of classical art, but intense scrutiny would reveal a sadness or anger not at first available to the naked eye, and it was this style that he carried with him from the beginning, and on into the darkness.

Kytn

Updates coming soon!

Healergirl

Mary Nash

Bystander, Street Doctor.

Mary Nash saw the Twin Towers fall on live television like tens of millions of Americans  Unlike most, she did something about it.  She joined the Army and became a  medic  Over the next eight years She served with distinction for two tours in Iraq and was well into her third when something happened.  She doesn't talk about it much, if at all, but it seems she was nearby when the activity in Iraq woke something up.  In the process of putting it back down again she was called into the action.  Her memories of what happened are unclear, she remembers vividly screams, gunfire poured into targets that went down only after a perhaps literally ungodly amount of punishment.  And wounds, terrible wounds, limbs torn from bodies, heads pulled of, or perhaps bitten off, she isn't sure and doesn't really want to know.  She wasn't the same after that.  Sleeplessness, physical tremors, inability to concentrate all earned her a psych discharge and a quick trip back stateside.  She was unable to find a job in the medical field due to the medical discharge, but since she had a true calling for the field she wasn't about to let that stop her.  Two years later, she has a reputation as that rare thing:  A street doctor who is not an alcoholic, a drug addict, or a bumbler who lost her license because of incompetence.

She knows that Things are out there.  Lately her nightmares have begun to return.  Something is stirring again and the measure of peace she regained over the past year or so  is beginning to fray.