News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathim

Quote from: mia h on August 12, 2015, 11:50:09 AM
"Linda Lee Danvers" was Supergirl's secret identity in the early 60's . Carol Danvers wasn't created until the late 60's and even then didn't get powered up until the late 70's.
So who was referencing who?  :P

That's what I was asking, like I said, I only know the origin of Supergirl in certain continuities, not the ones from the comics. Was she even Kryptonian originally, or another planet similar to Krypton? I think it even said she wasn't from Krypton in the Superman animated series, but then it never went into that again, giving her the same weakness to Kryptonite as Supes and never questioning that her being his 'cousin' was not a blood relation.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

mia h

Supergirl was Kryptonian until 1985 at which point she never existed. There were then various other Supergirl's none of which were Kryptonian. Before her original origns were restored about 10 years ago. The Kryptonian Supergirl has always been from Argo City which is either a colony of Krypton or a city on Krypton depending on the verison of the story.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Mathim

Quote from: mia h on August 12, 2015, 02:44:20 PM
Supergirl was Kryptonian until 1985 at which point she never existed. There were then various other Supergirl's none of which were Kryptonian. Before her original origns were restored about 10 years ago. The Kryptonian Supergirl has always been from Argo City which is either a colony of Krypton or a city on Krypton depending on the verison of the story.

Huh. So the one the Animated series was based on must have been one where she wasn't Kryptonian.

Any word on projects involving Lobo? I've never seen another version of him outside the one from Superman/Justice League where he's voiced by Brad Garrett, who I believe was perfectly spot-on. Would be awesome to see him on the big screen tangling with the big S.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Deamonbane

Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Mathim

Not bad but maybe she could start out in a more supporting role in another movie first, like the Rock did in The Mummy Returns before getting his own movie as the Scorpion King. Let the people who've never heard of her get a taste, and see if she really has any acting chops.

CaptainNexus616

Hey as long as she can act the part I will support Rousey for Captain Marvel!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on August 12, 2015, 06:05:53 PM
Hey as long as she can act the part I will support Rousey for Captain Marvel!

That's all I'm sayin'. But from the studios' standpoint, they would do well to make sure people recognize her name so she can carry a movie on her own clout. Gotta get butts in seats if we want to see more movies getting made. I wouldn't mind them taking more risks, though, and let's face it, they can afford it! I mean, DC went with a guy I'd never heard of for their new Superman, and Marvel's pace is an unstoppable freight train so why not throw people for a loop and go for someone who has no acting credit to their name but who physically has the build required for Captain Marvel to be taken seriously?

SapphireStar

Wasn't Rhonda Rousy in the last Expendables movie? I could see her playing the role. My other pick is Yvonne Strahovski from Chuck.

Jeri Ryan is appearing on Arrow as a friend of the Queen family as Jessica Danforth.

There has been a lot of name swapping between the two comic book companies. Slade Wilson/Deathstroke. Wade Wilson/Deadpool. Both mercenaries. Carol Danvers if I remember right didn't show up in the Marvel comics till the 70s-80s when Rogue also made her appearance. They fought and Rogue drained Carol of her powers at the time.

Supergirl has had several different incarnations. There was the version who was killed during the Infiniti Crisis, the icon cover where Superman is holding her body in his arms. That one wore a red head band. When they retconned the one continuity, Supergirl from one of the world's became Powergirl. I think at one time there were a bunch of Supergirl clones created. Argo City was from the Supergirl movie, I believe. Kara has been referenced in Smallville as being from Kandor.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on August 12, 2015, 08:53:51 PM
Wasn't Rhonda Rousy in the last Expendables movie? I could see her playing the role. My other pick is Yvonne Strahovski from Chuck.

Jeri Ryan is appearing on Arrow as a friend of the Queen family as Jessica Danforth.

There has been a lot of name swapping between the two comic book companies. Slade Wilson/Deathstroke. Wade Wilson/Deadpool. Both mercenaries. Carol Danvers if I remember right didn't show up in the Marvel comics till the 70s-80s when Rogue also made her appearance. They fought and Rogue drained Carol of her powers at the time.

Supergirl has had several different incarnations. There was the version who was killed during the Infiniti Crisis, the icon cover where Superman is holding her body in his arms. That one wore a red head band. When they retconned the one continuity, Supergirl from one of the world's became Powergirl. I think at one time there were a bunch of Supergirl clones created. Argo City was from the Supergirl movie, I believe. Kara has been referenced in Smallville as being from Kandor.

Gah, so much continuity being torn a new a-hole over and over. Poor continuity.

I've heard other forums, like on imdb.com, supporting Strahovski for the role of Carol Danvers, though I've never seen her in anything personally. And about Expendables 3, I still haven't seen any of them . I suppose I could look up her filmography, limited as it probably is, on imdb...Oh, she was in Furious 7 too. I have not seen a single film in that series either. Maybe those aren't the best kind of things to show her acting range in...especially if they're small parts.

SapphireStar

Yvonne Strahovski carried the action scenes well, and pulled off some humorous parts in Chuck. But, it is possible they might not pick her deciding to go in favor of name recognition. Adam Baldwin was awesome in the series too. I hope Flash/Arrow casts him as Col. Rick Flagg since he voiced the character in Justice League.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on August 12, 2015, 09:17:22 PM
Yvonne Strahovski carried the action scenes well, and pulled off some humorous parts in Chuck. But, it is possible they might not pick her deciding to go in favor of name recognition. Adam Baldwin was awesome in the series too. I hope Flash/Arrow casts him as Col. Rick Flagg since he voiced the character in Justice League.

Ultimately I just hope they choose whoever will do a good job. They've done a fantastic job so far with their casting choices and I want them to keep it up for the foreseeable future. Even if the person is a relative newcomer, they should be good at what they do.

mia h

Quote from: SapphireStar on August 12, 2015, 08:53:51 PM
There has been a lot of name swapping between the two comic book companies. Slade Wilson/Deathstroke. Wade Wilson/Deadpool.
lets swapping more of a "why was there never a lawsuit over copyright infringement?"

And on a totally unrelated matter loving DC's Bombshell's digital comic, featuring the well known heroines Kara Starikov & Kortni Duginovna  ;D

Mathim

Forgot to ask, does anyone know if Dwayne Johnson was really confirmed for Black Adam in the upcoming Shazam movie, or if that was just a rumor? I'd really like to know who they'll cast as Shazam/Captain Marvel (DC version) and his young alter ego Billy Batson.

SapphireStar

I think he did confirm a while ago that he was playing Black Adam. Peter Cudmore who plays Colosuss would've been perfect as Captain Marvel.

Another announcement for The Flash tv show, they confrimed that the female version of Doctor Light will appear. It would be awesome if they brought in Batgirl/Oracle to appear on Arrow, and bring back Dina Meyer to reprise the role.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on August 14, 2015, 08:05:41 AM
I think he did confirm a while ago that he was playing Black Adam. Peter Cudmore who plays Colosuss would've been perfect as Captain Marvel.

Another announcement for The Flash tv show, they confrimed that the female version of Doctor Light will appear. It would be awesome if they brought in Batgirl/Oracle to appear on Arrow, and bring back Dina Meyer to reprise the role.

Can they really use Batman characters, though? Not that I'm against it, but if they're heading into doing Legends of Tomorrow, I want it to be fair game for everyone in the DCverse.

SapphireStar

I don't see why not. They are using a Batman villain, Anarchy, in Arrow. Roy Harper will reappear again, and his alias is Jason who is working as a mechanic. And, its been teased that they will be using the Red Hood. In the Batman comics, Jason Todd used to steal cars and had a thing for cars.

Toyman/Winslow Shott is in Supergirl. He is Kara's tech gadget friend. Ra's al Ghul, Nyssa were if I remember originally Batman characters but then expanded to be included in other titles. Even Talia al Ghul ran Lex Corp when Lex became President.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on August 14, 2015, 07:53:57 PM
I don't see why not. They are using a Batman villain, Anarchy, in Arrow. Roy Harper will reappear again, and his alias is Jason who is working as a mechanic. And, its been teased that they will be using the Red Hood. In the Batman comics, Jason Todd used to steal cars and had a thing for cars.

Toyman/Winslow Shott is in Supergirl. He is Kara's tech gadget friend. Ra's al Ghul, Nyssa were if I remember originally Batman characters but then expanded to be included in other titles. Even Talia al Ghul ran Lex Corp when Lex became President.

Toyman becomes reformed? So he's like the Microchip to Supergirl's Punisher.

mia h

Quote from: Mathim on August 15, 2015, 10:20:18 AM
Toyman becomes reformed? So he's like the Microchip to Supergirl's Punisher.
In the pilot Winslow is one of Kara's co-workers and friends, so nothing about him to reform. So either he's going to become Supergirl's tech guy or he's going to get all jealous and turn to the dark side.

Mathim

Quote from: mia h on August 15, 2015, 11:32:12 AM
In the pilot Winslow is one of Kara's co-workers and friends, so nothing about him to reform. So either he's going to become Supergirl's tech guy or he's going to get all jealous and turn to the dark side.

I just assumed since Superman's already supposed to be well-known and whatnot in this Supergirl universe, he'd have crossed paths with the Toyman already as one of his rogues.

SapphireStar

It shows him creating her outfit, and she complains about the cape which he says something about aerodynamics or something. By mid-season, he'll probably turn against her when she probably rebuffs his advances having expressed his crush on her. Or, she starts dating someone hot and exceptional. Going with the unrequited love angle, the love turns to hate and he becomes an enemy.

There have been rumors about the possibility of Superman appearing on Supergirl. But, so far that is just a rumor. Highly doubt they would bring in Henry Cavill.

mia h

Quote from: SapphireStar on August 15, 2015, 04:38:25 PM
There have been rumors about the possibility of Superman appearing on Supergirl.
Which the head honcho for TV stuff at DC comics flatly denied "Superman will be a factor in her life but you won’t see him on screen."
But he also said Harrison Wells was a completely new character, which was true but only to a very limited extent. I imagine that issues around licensing would be a significant factor.

SapphireStar

Brit Morgan has been cast on Supergirl as Livewire.

Peter Facinelli was cast on Supergirl as Maxwell Lord and Chris Browning as Ben Krull/Reactron.

It has been hinted that members of the Secret Warriors will factor into this season of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.. The team created by Nick Fury and led by Daisy "Quake" Johnson.

It could still be a possibility. They'll wait to see how well the show is received before having Superman make an appearance. The movie and tv universe seems seperate as they cast Ezra Miller to be the Flash in a movie. When Smallville was airing, the Superman Returns movie with Brandon Routh was in theaters. The only issue which has arisen was over the Suicide Squad movie concerning Deadshot being "exclusive" to the movies.

CaptainNexus616

You know I wonder since the DCCU is suppose to feature Bats who has isolated himself to his cave since Robin's death if that means he had encountered the League of Assassins yet. If yes then that could set up the potential to introduce Damien Wayne into the movies as the new Robin or some other alias.
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

SapphireStar

Its being reported that Ben Affleck signed on for three Batman movies. The way the movies are being set up, it doesn't appear Damien would be plausible. Especially since they killed him off in the comics.

CaptainNexus616

They brought Damien back some time ago in the comics I believe. Plus for Bats since even he doesn't deserve losing his own child. I wouldn't be surprised though if Affleck's run ends with another Heir to the Cowl scenario with him entrusting the Batcave to someone else.