News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Anybody up for a lil polygamy? (insert sarcasm here)

Started by LadyAVA, September 19, 2012, 11:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyAVA

So in a chatroom this evening I ran into a guy that swore he was the king of the world, the savior of the human race. He basically ranted about male superiority to women and how by bing a polygamist allows for him to procreate the most genetically perfect female daughters. He also decided that he was told by his deity to impregnate young women and then also have with their daughters (he said he would abort all the boys btw) impregnated as well. The sad thing is that he actually believes that THIS will indeed cure human "extinction" (apparently he hasn't read the works statistics that humans are NOT going extinct but doing the exact opposite). He shared how his polygamy will be the new normal for the works order that is to come after WW3.

Can we say, quackers?

Anyone pro-polygamy here? I would like to hear from a more sane individual on the topic! If you are anti, let me know your thoughts as well! 

Serephino

The guy you were talking to definitely seems to be several eggs short of a dozen.  However, I don't see a problem with polygamy itself.  Don't get me wrong, those cults that marry off young girls to guys old enough to be their grandfathers is kinda sick...  But if all parties are consenting adults, and that is what they want, then why not let them do it?

LadyAVA

I agree to the consenting adult part, of course! I'm not sure how happy I would be as a woman to only have my husband on Thursday (lol you know we each get a night with him a week). I'm sure jealousy would run rampant! I can just imagine the emotional turmoil it would take on me.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: LadyAVA on September 19, 2012, 11:34:21 PM
So in a chatroom this evening I ran into a guy that swore he was the king of the world, the savior of the human race. He basically ranted about male superiority to women and how by bing a polygamist allows for him to procreate the most genetically perfect female daughters. He also decided that he was told by his deity to impregnate young women and then also have with their daughters (he said he would abort all the boys btw) impregnated as well. The sad thing is that he actually believes that THIS will indeed cure human "extinction" (apparently he hasn't read the works statistics that humans are NOT going extinct but doing the exact opposite). He shared how his polygamy will be the new normal for the works order that is to come after WW3.

Can we say, quackers?

From a book I read bout the myths connected to the constellations in the night sky:

"As the guest of King Thespius, Heracles had a round sleeping with the king's fifty daughters,  a new one every night, and in time fifty sons of Heracles were born in the palace. According to other writers, the entire sleep-in happened in a single night. Late Roman poets have dubbed this one of his Great Works, but it should be counted as an apocryphic one."

::)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Lilias

It's interesting how, 9 times out of 10, we hear polygamy and think polygyny (one man, several women). How about some corrective polyandry (one woman, several men) for a change? Then perhaps we won't have to take things in hand so much, because he needs a rest to recharge just as she's getting going! ;)
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Silverfyre

Quote from: Lilias on September 20, 2012, 01:21:56 AM
It's interesting how, 9 times out of 10, we hear polygamy and think polygyny (one man, several women). How about some corrective polyandry (one woman, several men) for a change? Then perhaps we won't have to take things in hand so much, because he needs a rest to recharge just as she's getting going! ;)

/plot buffalo

Oniya

Polyamory (which can consist of any group of n>2 people of any gender mix) is perfectly fine in my book.  The key thing is mutual consent, a group day planner, and healthy doses of patience, communication, and flexibility to streamline things.

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Serephino

Jealousy can be a problem, which is why people advise caution before getting into Polyamory of any sort.  I guess it just depends on your outlook.  I know there are at least a few married people here who are in open relationships and have been happy.  Some people can handle it, and others can't.  I don't think I could share a partner, mostly because of self esteem issues.  My boyfriend is very big on Monogamy, so as much as I might want to, I have to respect his wishes if I'm going to stay with him. 

I've watched a few episodes of the TV show Sister Wives, and they seemed happy enough until wife #4 got pregnant.  Then the other wives got jealous of all the attention she was getting, even though a pregnant mate does need a little  extra attention, and a new baby is an exciting thing.  I don't know if they ever got over it because I haven't seen an episode since, but those are the kinds of things that need to be considered. 

Silverfyre

Jealousy can rear its ugly head in any relationship, not just polygamy. 

Oniya

Quote from: Silverfyre on September 21, 2012, 11:45:36 AM
Jealousy can rear its ugly head in any relationship, not just polygamy. 

Absolutely, but remember that in a poly relationship, you have an ever-increasing number of 'relationships' inside the set, any one of which can wake the green-eyed monster. 

*breaks out blackboard*

Any member of a triad can be jealous of the bond between the other two.  Any pair in a quad can be jealous of any other pair, plus there's each individual that can be jealous of any pair, or the three-way connection of the others.  Add in one or more others, and it can get messy really fast.

*disappears in a cloud of chalk-dust*
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Shjade

Quote from: Oniya on September 20, 2012, 08:52:16 PM
The key thing is mutual consent, a group day planner, and healthy doses of patience, communication, and flexibility to streamline things.

I dunno, I bet if one of the participants has more streamlined flexibility than the others there's bound to be some jealousy about the issue eventually. :x
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Oniya

That's where the patience and the communication come in.  ;)

Oh, and in regards to the guy in the OP's post, he's a perfect example of Not Doing It Right.  I'd sit him down with a copy of Mendel's work on genetics - either to read, or to beat him over the head with.

vtboy

Quote from: LadyAVA on September 19, 2012, 11:51:06 PM
I agree to the consenting adult part, of course! I'm not sure how happy I would be as a woman to only have my husband on Thursday (lol you know we each get a night with him a week). I'm sure jealousy would run rampant! I can just imagine the emotional turmoil it would take on me.
Perhaps, more relief than jelousy.

backbreaker86

I am All for polygamy! I would not do that myself but will not stop another group of people doing what they want or their religious right to do so. I will however say that it should be somewhat equal in that a woman could have many husbands as she wants as well. With that i can only imagine the problems that will arise when a man takes another wife into his home or even his bed. Jealousy has to be a main concern! Or maybe not, maybe they all get along really well!!! I am done ranting for now..

Oniya

Now, when it gets abusive, like kicking the young teenaged boys out on the street so that the old men can continue to get more young teenaged 'wives', who in turn don't know that they have a basic human right to refuse - that's where 'religious freedom' as a rationalization fails for me.  To paraphrase some wise men of my day:

"If you can be excellent to each other, then party on, dudes!"

MasterMischief

The longer I am married, the more I am against marriage.  It just seems...unnatural.  Are there not more efficient mechanisms for raising young?

HairyHeretic

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.