[POKEMON] Semi-Realistic Pokemon RP. [8/8 Slots] FULL

Started by Acid, April 13, 2012, 07:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackalope

Alright, thanks. I'll have a sheet up tonight. I'll just edit it in over this post if no one's posted between now and then.

Carlissa

QuoteI don't have a problem with 3rd, aside from all of the unnecessary legendaries but 4th was unplayable.

The 5th generation of Pokemon was a lot worse than the 4th generation (when it came to the Pokemon that is). Although the 4th gen had the most unnecessary legendaries, nore than the 3rd gen even...

QuoteI'd been considering a few options for my first pokemon and two of them are onix and snorlax

If you start out with Onix, you should start out at level 5 at least. Despite looking powerful, Onix isn't that good of a Pokemon, saving its high defense stat.

But, don't you think that letting someone start out with a Snorlax contradicts the rule that someone can't start out with an unevolved Pokemon? After all, Snorlax IS an evolved Pokemon (evolved form of Munchlax). And there was another profile that had the starting Pokemon as a Mantine, which is also an evolved Pokemon...
"Damn kids doing work. Back in my day we worked 18 hours a day and still had time for 12 hours of fun before a solid 8 hours of sleep in 24 hours".

SargentToughie

Quote from: Carlissa on April 15, 2012, 01:43:16 PM
The 5th generation of Pokemon was a lot worse than the 4th generation (when it came to the Pokemon that is). Although the 4th gen had the most unnecessary legendaries, nore than the 3rd gen even...

I disagree, actually. I really like Gen 5.
If you're reading my RPs from the outside and like my writing, feel free to drop me a line! I'm always looking for new, fun partners. :D
Ons and offs

Carlissa

Quote from: SargentToughie on April 15, 2012, 01:44:42 PM
I disagree, actually. I really like Gen 5.

Really now? So you like the fact that we have a garbage bag Pokemon, a candle Pokemon, an ice cream cone Pokemon, and even a couple of guys from Sesame Street among the roster?

Geez, that sounded kinda... contraversial. Didn't mean it that way.

I'll admit that there are a few Pokemon that I like from Gen 5, but I think that there are too many whose characters designs are just... crap. Take Beartic for example. If you compare it to the likes of Ursaring, which one looks more like a respectable bear Pokemon? I mean really... Beartic just looks like a bad Fakemon to me.
"Damn kids doing work. Back in my day we worked 18 hours a day and still had time for 12 hours of fun before a solid 8 hours of sleep in 24 hours".

Frank Reshman

Quote from: Carlissa on April 15, 2012, 02:20:38 PM
Really now? So you like the fact that we have a garbage bag Pokemon, a candle Pokemon, an ice cream cone Pokemon, and even a couple of guys from Sesame Street among the roster?

I'll admit that there are a few Pokemon that I like from Gen 5, but I think that there are too many whose characters designs are just... crap. Take Beartic for example. If you compare it to the likes of Ursaring, which one looks more like a respectable bear Pokemon? I mean really... Beartic just looks like a bad Fakemon to me.

I'm not going to debate this, because, honestly, I've debated this over and over again and people really don't change their opinions very often.  All pokemon look ridiculous.  Gen 1 had Mr. Mime, and Jynx, and ditto.  I'm not saying one Gen is better than another one (Gen II is the best, btw :P), I'm just saying that each Generation had their share of silly looking pokemon. 

Also, I updated my CS, so Acid, if you wanna take a look-see, that'd be great.

SargentToughie

Oh yeah, because every single Gen 1 and 2 pokemon was absolutely perfect.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Every single generation, 1 through 5, has always had it's good and it's bad. I swear, Pokemon fans wear some of the most hardcore nostalgia glasses out of any fanbase I've ever seen before in my life outside of Sonic fans. Compare all the awesome Gen 5 pokemon to the dumb ones, and you'll find the good FAR outweighing the bad, and say what you will, Gen 5 didn't have Bidoof, the dumbest pokemon design ever.

And what do you have against the candle pokmeon? It's final evolution actually looks pretty badass.

Glad we agree actually. All Generations have pokmeon that look just plain silly as well as pokemon that look awesome.
If you're reading my RPs from the outside and like my writing, feel free to drop me a line! I'm always looking for new, fun partners. :D
Ons and offs

Carlissa

I never said that the other generations had silly designs either. I just think Generation 5 had the most badly designed Pokemon. Especially Sawk and Throh. Every time I see one in the wild I'm expecting them to talk to me about crossing the street or something. They're so bad, I named my Sawk and Troh Ernie and Bert respectively...

SargentToughie

What? I liked Sawk and Throh! I guess that just comes down to opinion at the end, but... yeah...

Funny thing is that I did think the exact same thing as you when I saw them.
Ons and offs

Crovonovin

Oho now, I know you're not talkin' ill of my main man, Bellsprout!  ;D

Jackalope

If you start out with Onix, you should start out at level 5 at least. Despite looking powerful, Onix isn't that good of a Pokemon, saving its high defense stat.

But, don't you think that letting someone start out with a Snorlax contradicts the rule that someone can't start out with an unevolved Pokemon? After all, Snorlax IS an evolved Pokemon (evolved form of Munchlax). And there was another profile that had the starting Pokemon as a Mantine, which is also an evolved Pokemon...

Well, if we're going by the stats from the games, that rules out a lot of pokemon as just being weak. Besides, there's supposed to be a bit of realism and i can't imagine a giant stone snake headbutting something without leaving a mark.

And munchlax is gen 4, right? So i'd prefer to assume it doesn't exist...

And as much as I hate this pokemon debate, I just think the majority of 4th and 5th were uninventive and mashed together from whatever ideas they had left and whatever was lying around in the immediate vicinity. Honeycombs and bells can't be passed off as organisms... and it's not a nostalgia thing, i really wanted to get into 4th, if only to give me something to do, but it was just plain awful... 

Carlissa

Quote from: SargentToughie on April 15, 2012, 02:53:08 PM
What? I liked Sawk and Throh! I guess that just comes down to opinion at the end, but... yeah...

Funny thing is that I did think the exact same thing as you when I saw them.

Throh: "Rubber Ducklett, you're the one! You make bathtimes so much fun!"

Sawk: "Throh! Hurry up and get ready! We're suppost to go out for Vanillites tonight!"

Throh: "Oh, that's right! Don't forget to bring along your Lampent! It's not safe to walk in the dark without light!"

Crovonovin

Quote from: Jackalope on April 15, 2012, 03:10:03 PM
Honeycombs and bells can't be passed off as organisms...

True...but where does that leave Pokemon like Magnemite, Voltorb, and Porygon?

Carlissa

Quote from: Shihong on April 15, 2012, 03:31:12 PM

Porygon was a man-made Pokemon, so that explains that.

I'm not sure about the other two, but it shouldn't be used as an excuse for the future generations to be uncreative...

I mean, do you really have to rely on so many man-made influences to design your Pokemon? This was one of the reasons why I didn't like Gen 5. There were too many Pokemon based off of man-made things to make it believeable that they were wild monsters... I would rather eat an ice cream cone than battle with one, after all.

EDIT

QuoteAnd munchlax is gen 4, right? So i'd prefer to assume it doesn't exist...

It's not that they don't exist, it's just that the setting takes place in Kanto and Johto, where 3rd, 4th, and 5th gen Pokemon are not found. As Acid said in his first post, this RP takes place after the anime, whereas Ash and Gary were real people. And the last time I checked, Ash and Gary owned 4th gen Pokemon, so...

Jackalope

Quote from: Shihong on April 15, 2012, 03:31:12 PM

I agree about porygon, but Magnemite and voltorb are kinda like robots :P which is pretty cool, at least. I mean, you're right, they're silly but it's still better than a bronze coin or garbage...

Acid

Don't overthink it guys. The rules were supposed to be very simple.

There is no Munchlax in Gen 1 or 2 (another reason why I refuse to do Gen 3/4/5, they keep retconning stuff. You'd think that if Kanto Trainers had Snorlaxes, they'd also have Munchlaxes/Magby/Igglybuff/etc. Nope! Not in Pokemon lore.)

He can have a Snorlax and I can have a Mantine. It's not a big deal. Also I didn't even know Mantine had a pre-evolution. As far as I know, Mantine doesn't have one in Gen 2 so whatever.

And ice cream cone Pokemon?!

What's it called? I need to see this.

Quote from: SargentToughie on April 15, 2012, 02:28:42 PM
Oh yeah, because every single Gen 1 and 2 pokemon was absolutely perfect.

Every single generation, 1 through 5, has always had it's good and it's bad. I swear, Pokemon fans wear some of the most hardcore nostalgia glasses out of any fanbase I've ever seen before in my life outside of Sonic fans. Compare all the awesome Gen 5 pokemon to the dumb ones, and you'll find the good FAR outweighing the bad, and say what you will, Gen 5 didn't have Bidoof, the dumbest pokemon design ever.

And what do you have against the candle pokmeon? It's final evolution actually looks pretty badass.

Glad we agree actually. All Generations have pokmeon that look just plain silly as well as pokemon that look awesome.
I really like all of those Pokemon with the exception of Golbat, which was kind of meh. <_<

Anyway guys, OOC is going up within the hour.

SargentToughie

Ons and offs

Crovonovin

I know there have been signs of regular animals in the Pokemon universe, so they probably don't eat them generally, but I have to wonder if anyone ever thought to make a Vanilluxe sundae topped off with some Tropius bananas and Surskit syrup.

Carlissa

QuoteHe can have a Snorlax and I can have a Mantine. It's not a big deal. Also I didn't even know Mantine had a pre-evolution. As far as I know, Mantine doesn't have one in Gen 2 so whatever.

Fine, but I still don't like it that your allowing Snorlax to be a starting Pokemon. Even without the influence of the games, Snorlax is still considered a very powerful Pokemon, even in the anime he's considered to be on the same leve as 3rd evolution level Pokemon. It doesn't matter if he's at a low level, it's still a Snorlax... The guy's a monster, no matter how you look at it. But it's your RP, your rules. I'm just trying to give you some imput.

Smoothtrooperette

I like all generations of Pokemon...  Because it's fucking Pokemon.  That's all the reasoning I need.    My two favorites from Gen V.  I dislike a few of them, but not enough to turn me off completely from the franchise/generation.  There's always a gem in each gen. 

That being said...

Name: Dunya Vogel
Orientation: Homosexual, but fairly asexual
Specialty: Ground Pokemon

Appearance: Short and lean.  Her face is thinned out and her cheekbones are set high.  With bright blue eyes and shaggy blond hair, she doesn't look half bad.  Normally, she's found in a pair of faded black jeans, ripped at the knees and bottom.  Her black boots are scuffed- but look fairly comfortable, not coming up too high, but providing the support needed for hiking long distances.  Her shirt's a button up white blouse; her jacket is black and a few accents of gold.  Set on her nose is a pair of thin black rimmed glasses that she relies heavily on.

Personality: Dunya's just your average woman.  She's not the best battler, but has no problem holding her own.  She's fairly happy, but isn't loud and obnoxious about it.  Normally, she prefers to remain quiet and only speak up when spoken to-- But she's been known to start a conversation with someone if she wants to talk to them.  The young woman's characterized by a soft smile and a gentle gaze; along with some terrible indecisiveness at times.

Sort of a homebody, Dunya never left to challenge the league when she was younger.  She chose, instead, to learn how to become a Pokemon breeder.  Finding that this wasn't what she wanted to do, however, she turned her attention towards being a doctor.  Once more, she found herself fairly uninterested with the career path and changed her goal once again.  With everything that's going on outside of Viridian City, the young woman decided that she'd go out on her own adventure and challenge the league.  Mainly, she just wishes to find out about herself and see if she has the ability to stick with something to the end.

Starting Town: Fuchsia City
Starting Pokemon: A young Cubone by the name of Cub who acts as Dunya's protector, much to her dismay. Tied around his neck is an old ripped up red scarf.

aya

Character Sign-up Sheet:
Name: Audrey Taylor
Specialty: Defensive Pokemon
Appearance:
Personality: Carefree, and has an almost superhuman lack of ambition. Audrey is the type of person you expect to find napping at any time of day, or the first one to rest while on the road. She is generally happy and aloof, unless you're interrupting her in the middle of a much needed break. The only times when she is remotely serious are when pokemon are involved- the reason she became a trainer in the first place.

Notoriously lazy and often called the 'Nap Queen' by her friends, Audrey had an average life growing up. With her personality, she was definitely not cut out for any normal job, if anyone would even take her. When she had become of age to have her own pokemon, Audrey finally found something that interested her. She decided to become a pokemon trainer then, to be able to travel and see new sights- practically a vacation. Along the way, Audrey picked up cooking partly as a hobby, and partly as necessity, to feed both herself and her pokemon.
Starting Town: Vermilion City.

Starting Pokemon: Slowpoke
Nickname: Pokey
Personality: Taking after his master, and named for it, Lazy is just what his name implies. He prefers to spend his time curled up in the warm sunlight, either napping or lazing about.

Acid

Frank Reshman

So, I edited my character info. Lemme know if I'm approved.

Also, I feel like bug pokemon have very few attacks to choose from in Gen II.  For example, my Scyther can't learn any bug moves, despite being a Bug pokemon.  And he only learns one flying move (two if you count Fly, which he instinctively knows in this RP.)  Are you having it so they only learn moves from Gen II? Or is it just pokemon from Gen II?

SargentToughie

Moves from gens 3 and up don't exist anymore, something that I personally find kinda strange, but whatever. GM's rules. No real skin off my nose.
Ons and offs

Frank Reshman

Quote from: SargentToughie on April 16, 2012, 01:39:04 AM
Moves from gens 3 and up don't exist anymore, something that I personally find kinda strange, but whatever. GM's rules. No real skin off my nose.

Yeah, it's not a huge deal breaker or anything for me, I was just wondering.  Especially considering TM moves are out.  Still, Scyther is a cool pokemon, so I'm not switching to another one, haha.

SargentToughie

TMs are out too? I missed that...

Um, I know I'm just asking questions and stirring the pot again, but... why? I know a website where you can easily check to see if certain 'mons can learn certain TM moves. I would be more then willing to do the legwork on that angle if it means more player choice and freedom.
Ons and offs