Looking to play in a system game with an interesting setting (no d20 system)!

Started by Thufir Hawat, April 03, 2020, 07:54:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thufir Hawat

I want to play a system game.
And I just realized that I'm playing in a lot of games, but none of them are on E. Clearly, it's time to change that 8-)!

However, after a couple weeks of browsing games, I also noticed that most games on offer are using systems I don't care to play (meaning variants of Fate and d20/D&D - which, in my book, includes Pathfinder).
So I figured, why not start a thread asking for what I want to play?

Now, what I'm looking for is primarily a GM that likes strong historical or fantasy settings and doesn't use illusionism. I thrive better even in a railroad...and those aren't my favourites. But illusionism just makes me want to find a way to spoil your plans, and frankly, that's not a mental space conducive to a fun game for either of us (or the rest of the group, if there is such).
However, if you'd like to run a fantasy sandbox where sexual activity is an option (with varying degrees of focusing on it), I think we might be able to work together nicely.
I play both solos and in small groups.
Obviously I'm not looking for a system which "involve(s only) a bunch of monsters trying to kill the character(s) every day and twice on Sundays", as a couple other threads in this sub-forum put it.

Sexual content-wise, I play only dominant or "vanilla" characters who are hetero. I'm fine with everything up to and including NC... though lately I'm not finding outright NC to not be much fun. There needs to be no D/S, though - and I certainly don't want it to be promised at the start!
Sure, if another player volunteers to play a slavegirl, obviously there would be - whether my character is involved or not - but I don't need the Referee to promise me anything (well, other than not breaking my Offs - and I'm going to return the favor).
Most stuff that would go under Extreme gets a hard pass from me, and (if it needed to be said) site rules apply!

Systems/Settings/genres I'm currently interested in:
Ancient China/Fantasy China/wuxia: You name a dedicated system, I've probably got it already. If you want some examples: Strange Tales of Songling, Qin, Outlaws of the Water Margin, Wandering Heroes of Ogre Gate, Jadeclaw (the new edition), Tianxia, Legends of the Wulin, Weapons of the Gods. If you want to run one of those, I'm game (though I'd seriously wonder how you're planning to do it with one of the latter two). Those are roughly in order of preference...though I'd probably consider playing Palladium China, GURPS China, or Legend of the Elements, if the GM insisted.
But offer me d20 China, and I'm out >:).

Japanese investigations/horror: Anyone wants to run Kuro (with or without Tensei, though I'd prefer without), I'm game. Usagi Yojimbo? Yes, of course! (I mean the system, here - it doesn't have to be using anthropomorphic animals. Just call it "fantasy Japan" and be done with it).

Ancient Rome: Maelstrom Rome, Myhras: Rome, Servants of Gaius...they're all fun. Though I'd consider Mercador or Zenobia as well.

Gor: Well, I only know of Tales of Gor for the setting. Yes, I've got it. Fair warning, I've read the adventure in the corebook...but not the other ones.

Swaschbuckling/Early Modern: H+I, Ironclaw, Maelstrom: Gothic...why not?

Exalted: well...tell me which system and we could talk.

Tekumel: I've got Bethorm and think a game would definitely be fun!

Anything else: make me a pitch and I'd consider it!
A system with a strong implied setting (Dominion Rules d12, Mythic d6 for superheroes, even CoC/Open Chthulhu) might also grab my interest!
And, hey, if it wasn't obvious, everything with martial arts-heavy premise could get my attention, if you're into it >:)! Also, I probably own the books already. (Note: I don't mean "purely unarmed fighting", nor "Asian styles only", when I say "martial arts". Though if we're playing in Ancient China, obviously it's going to be mostly local styles...martial arts, as everything else, are tied to the setting).

The same goes for strong settings without a decent system, too. We can negotiate a system to go with, say, Barsoom (about the only one I've seen is Savage Worlds, but I don't think it's a good one for PbP because of how tied it is to using a deck), or Exalted, or whatever.
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

Thufir Hawat

OK, it's been 30 days (give or take a couple hours), so let's see whether the change in title attracts more interest 8-)!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

wander

I see you mentioned Barsoom at the end there in OP, have you seen the John Carter of Mars 2d20 version? Or did you mix it up with the current Flash Gordon rpg (which is Savage Worlds)?

I'm also interested in system play, I'd especially jump into something like these as a player (not that I want to influence the thread).

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: wander on May 03, 2020, 09:33:22 AM
I see you mentioned Barsoom at the end there in OP, have you seen the John Carter of Mars 2d20 version? Or did you mix it up with the current Flash Gordon rpg (which is Savage Worlds)?

I'm also interested in system play, I'd especially jump into something like these as a player (not that I want to influence the thread).
I've got the 2d20 game, but no, I didn't mix anything.
Here's what I was referring to:
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/60955/MARS-Savage-Worlds-Edition
Even with serial numbers filed off, that should be close enough for a Barsoom game 8-).
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Thufir Hawat

Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

steelsmiter

While reading this I thought: Nothing by WotC or Paizo, or a third party product designed to be compatible with either.
I don't play in PMs
Who wants to join an incest registry?
O/Os
Download RPGs I wrote on my Discord!
So anyway I guess I'm steelsmiter on fetlife now. Hit me up and tell me you're from E!

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: steelsmiter on June 13, 2020, 09:37:56 AM
While reading this I thought: Nothing by WotC or Paizo, or a third party product designed to be compatible with either.
Nothing.
I actually put that in the title!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

steelsmiter

Well, something similar to it anyway... Nevermind that, I seem to have forgotten to mention that I do have a system that is capable of running some approximation of fantasy Japan, but doesn't particularly lean into the horror aspect. It's actually meant for visual novels, but derives heavily from parent systems like Apocalypse World, Dungeon World, etc. I considered running a game with the following blurb:

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Kagemusha Province is located at the southwest tip of Kyushu on the Satsuma Peninsula and Ōsumi Peninsula. the region also includes a chain of islands stretching further to the southwest of Kyushu for a few hundred kilometers. It has a bay called Kagemusha Bay which is sandwiched by two peninsulas. Its position makes it a 'gateway' to Japan.

The prefecture boasts a chain of active and dormant volcanoes, including the great Sakurajima, which towers out of the bay opposite the modest city of Kagemusha. A steady trickle of smoke and ash emerges from the caldera, punctuated by louder mini-eruptions on an almost daily basis. On active days an umbrella is advisable to ward off the ash. Sakurajima is one of Japan's most active volcanoes. Volcanic materials in the soil make Sakurajima a source for record daikon radishes, roughly the size of a globe shaped paper lantern. Many beaches around the Kagoshima Bay are littered with well-worn pumice stones.

Most of the economic sector is focused in Kagemusha City and the surrounding area, corresponding to the extent of the former Satsuma Province. The eastern part of the prefecture is mostly rural and shows a general population decline. The prefecture has strong agricultural roots, which are reflected in its most well-known exports: green tea, sweet potato, radish, Pongee rice, Satsuma ware and "kurobuta" pork. In addition it produces Japan's largest volume of unagi eels.

The local shrine is popular among Asobi--migrant prostitutes who wished to pray for protection from sexually transmitted infections. It is also said the shrine offers divine protections for business prosperity, and for the clan's prosperity; and for easy delivery, marriage, and married-couple harmony. Increasingly more conservative attitudes in the surrounding area, brought on by The Sankoku Edict of 1635's banning of western religion among other things, is leading to pressure for Kagemusha to tighten restrictions on sexual industry. In addition strange events have been occuring, centered around sexual activities.

The goal with the Sankoku Edict was to attempt to cull the rise in Yokai sightings of late. To make matters worse, Mt. Sakurajima seems to have exploded. Due to its nearly constant activity acting as a preventative for pressure buildup, this should have been impossible.

For the time being, a few of you have egressed to the local tavern. When the town regroups, it will be time to find out what caused that mountain to explode, and maybe what's causing the upsurge in Yokai.

it's got inklings of investigation and possible horror but it's mostly fighting and tentacles, which is arguably better here than where I originally hosted it.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os
So anyway I guess I'm steelsmiter on fetlife now. Hit me up and tell me you're from E!

Thufir Hawat

Well, "no d20" might not be the best explanation, but a title should be short enough to fit the allowed space...or even if there's no restriction, a title should be as short as possible, period.
Besides, even "No WotC, T$R, Paizo or anything compatible with them" still leaves a lot to be desired, while taking a lot more space!
I mean, Fantasy Craft and 13th Age aren't compatible with either, they're not from any of those publishers...and while they're both better than the WotC/TSR fare (and yes, I have them), I'm still not looking to play them. And we can go on and on. There are a host of d20 clones on Drivethru that aren't compatible with the Big Names!
In other words, many people insist on writing games I'm not interested in >:)! Maybe they're looking to become the Next Big Name, maybe it's something else, but for whatever reason, they persist.

That's an interesting idea. Are you offering to run it?
If yes, where can I look at your rules (outside of Discord, which I don't have)? I'll admit it, PbtA (& Fate) games are so much on the edge of being a dedicated storygame that it depends on a case-by-case basis whether I'm interested in playing a game that uses it as a system. Overall, I've found that narrative games really sap my enthusiasm, so I try to evaluate them before joining.
It's weird. Some games that obviously take a hint from narrative games, like Metahumans Rising (which isn't a PbtA, but is a nice example), are fine by me and actually make me want to play. Others don't really tempt me, but I'm fine playing them, like AW1 (still haven't tried AW2).
And others that do the same, like Monsterhearts and Dungeon World, and basically all 2d20, just trigger my "yawn, I'll pass on that" reflex.
Go figure.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

steelsmiter

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on June 13, 2020, 11:16:40 PM
That's an interesting idea. Are you offering to run it?
More throwing it out there than offering it in light of:

QuoteIf yes, where can I look at your rules (outside of Discord, which I don't have)? I'll admit it, PbtA (& Fate) games are so much on the edge of being a dedicated storygame that it depends on a case-by-case basis whether I'm interested in playing a game that uses it as a system. Overall, I've found that narrative games really sap my enthusiasm, so I try to evaluate them before joining.
It's weird. Some games that obviously take a hint from narrative games, like Metahumans Rising (which isn't a PbtA, but is a nice example), are fine by me and actually make me want to play. Others don't really tempt me, but I'm fine playing them, like AW1 (still haven't tried AW2).
And others that do the same, like Monsterhearts and Dungeon World, and basically all 2d20, just trigger my "yawn, I'll pass on that" reflex.
Go figure.
I mean the game takes a bit from Monsterhearts and Dungeon World both (but scales dungeon world back to the AW 6 wound system), but also expands on harem visual novel tropes like owning your own business, starting school clubs, and so on. I actually wanted to use PBtA as a base after connecting the dots that Dungeon World's 10 level base looked an awful lot like Persona 4's 10 level Social Link system. I can't guarantee you it won't be a yawn, but I also can't say for sure it will either. 's up to you how you take that.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Bernardo Hoagie

There’s a PBtA system I’d like to run, called Legacy. It’s Post-Apocalyptic, but’s it’s based on rebuilding civilization, which I think is a bit different from the typical apocalypse game, which more or less revels in the anarchy of the end.

There’s a couple of QuickStarts I could run, to see what you think of it. If you enjoy the game, I have main book and its expansions....

Titanomachy: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/217102/Titanomachy-Legacy-2nd-Edition-Quickstart?cPath=19570_29868

Non-Compliant: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/242387/Legacy-Life-Among-the-Ruins-2nd-Edition-Quickstart--NonCompliant?cPath=19570_29868

Thufir Hawat

OK, it seems PbtA is definitely popular!

Quote from: steelsmiter on June 14, 2020, 12:47:27 PM
More throwing it out there than offering it in light of:
I mean the game takes a bit from Monsterhearts and Dungeon World both (but scales dungeon world back to the AW 6 wound system), but also expands on harem visual novel tropes like owning your own business, starting school clubs, and so on. I actually wanted to use PBtA as a base after connecting the dots that Dungeon World's 10 level base looked an awful lot like Persona 4's 10 level Social Link system. I can't guarantee you it won't be a yawn, but I also can't say for sure it will either. 's up to you how you take that.
Well, the themes sound fun, I like visual novels as well... >:)
Again, can you attach it to a PM, or put it on a download site and send me the link? Last I saw you mentioning this system, it was on a Discord server, and I refuse to install Discord on principled reasons (read, I know who's going to bother me every day if I ever caved in and installed it ;D)!

Quote from: Bernardo Hoagie on June 14, 2020, 09:27:50 PM
There’s a PBtA system I’d like to run, called Legacy. It’s Post-Apocalyptic, but’s it’s based on rebuilding civilization, which I think is a bit different from the typical apocalypse game, which more or less revels in the anarchy of the end.

There’s a couple of QuickStarts I could run, to see what you think of it. If you enjoy the game, I have main book and its expansions....

Titanomachy: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/217102/Titanomachy-Legacy-2nd-Edition-Quickstart?cPath=19570_29868

Non-Compliant: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/242387/Legacy-Life-Among-the-Ruins-2nd-Edition-Quickstart--NonCompliant?cPath=19570_29868
I'll check a QS and get back to you. Sorry, I even have the first edition, but I don't remember anything about it, and besides, it seems that you want to use the 2e!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

steelsmiter

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on June 15, 2020, 03:30:19 PM
Well, the themes sound fun, I like visual novels as well... >:)
Again, can you attach it to a PM, or put it on a download site and send me the link? Last I saw you mentioning this system, it was on a Discord server, and I refuse to install Discord on principled reasons (read, I know who's going to bother me every day if I ever caved in and installed it ;D)!
I'm not sure what to think about that for a couple of reasons. The first being that discord doesn't require an install to use in browser. The second of which is that said in specific contexts it has strong connotations about who you're avoiding. Without being alleviated of those concerns it gives cause for me to ponder if me or my crowd is on the list, and if so is me providing my game links really a benefit to you or anyone else here?
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Bernardo Hoagie

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on June 15, 2020, 03:30:19 PM
I'll check a QS and get back to you. Sorry, I even have the first edition, but I don't remember anything about it, and besides, it seems that you want to use the 2e!

Thanks, and thats pretty cool that you have the first edition :)

As for the rule book, it’ll probably be a bit cumbersome, but I can just put the info from the book in a Discord as pictures, so that you know what you need to know.

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: steelsmiter on June 15, 2020, 04:10:19 PM
I'm not sure what to think about that for a couple of reasons. The first being that discord doesn't require an install to use in browser.
It doesn't? What's the installation for, then ???? I'm pretty sure the only time I caved in used Discord was after I installed it from Google Play.

QuoteThe second of which is that said in specific contexts it has strong connotations about who you're avoiding. Without being alleviated of those concerns it gives cause for me to ponder if me or my crowd is on the list, and if so is me providing my game links really a benefit to you or anyone else here?
...I'm not sure what you're talking about, here. But if it helps alleviate your concerns, whatever they are all the people who I'd expect to already know my Discord aren't on E. (to the best of my knowledge anyway) and I know them offline - which excludes most of you.

Granted, I wouldn't like the people on my IL here to message me, either, but that's a lesser concern. And of course, I'm not sure who "your crowd" is, but you aren't on my IL.
That's all the reassurance I can give you, sorry. Not sure whether it's enough, jsut as I'm not sure why you felt that me mentioning the reason I don't want to use Discord was a hodden jab at you and your crowd. On my side, that was an attempt to be polite... 8-)

Quote from: Bernardo Hoagie on June 15, 2020, 09:19:45 PM
Thanks, and thats pretty cool that you have the first edition :)

As for the rule book, it’ll probably be a bit cumbersome, but I can just put the info from the book in a Discord as pictures, so that you know what you need to know.
OK. Just give me some time to review the game first, please ;D!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

steelsmiter

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on June 17, 2020, 01:52:11 AM
It doesn't? What's the installation for, then ???? I'm pretty sure the only time I caved in used Discord was after I installed it from Google Play.
That can also occur from in browser use, but isn't an actual requirement, no. In any case it matters not

QuoteThat's all the reassurance I can give you, sorry. Not sure whether it's enough, jsut as I'm not sure why you felt that me mentioning the reason I don't want to use Discord was a hodden jab at you and your crowd.
Couldn't say for sure it was then, It just suspiciously looked like it. In any case, it's probably enough I hope the link works: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/aphr7638diyihdn/AADTQJSJG9OF7sUpX9GZeajaa?dl=0 dropbox is weird with linksharing.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: steelsmiter on June 17, 2020, 09:32:53 AM
That can also occur from in browser use, but isn't an actual requirement, no. In any case it matters not
Nope, it doesn't. But it was interesting to know.

Couldn't say for sure it was then, It just suspiciously looked like it. In any case, it's probably enough I hope the link works: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/aphr7638diyihdn/AADTQJSJG9OF7sUpX9GZeajaa?dl=0 dropbox is weird with linksharing.
The link works. I'll read it, but given the pagecount, it might take me a day or two.
Of course, I don't need to read the whole of it, just enough to get a "feel".

But either way, you have my respects for writing it!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

steelsmiter

Yeah, you actually probably don't need to read anything after "Being Senpai" and much of "Adventure Mode" is case by case optional. Depends what you're going for with the game.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: steelsmiter on June 17, 2020, 01:10:23 PM
Yeah, you actually probably don't need to read anything after "Being Senpai" and much of "Adventure Mode" is case by case optional. Depends what you're going for with the game.

Good news: I forgot to mention that I'm a fast reader, and have at least decent speed when reading in English. I also managed to steal a couple hours off.
I think the only part I'm not sure about would be, is the Senpai basically a (GM)NPC that the PCs are gravitating around? Or is it a player who's not the GM?

Probably Positive news: I like your approach to PbtA, so the system is unlikely to be a problem.

With that in mind, what kind of game are you offering to run?

Quote from: steelsmiter on June 17, 2020, 01:10:23 PM
Depends what you're going for with the game.
What are the options :P?
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

steelsmiter

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on June 17, 2020, 05:54:29 PM
Good news: I forgot to mention that I'm a fast reader, and have at least decent speed when reading in English. I also managed to steal a couple hours off.
I think the only part I'm not sure about would be, is the Senpai basically a (GM)NPC that the PCs are gravitating around? Or is it a player who's not the GM?
who Senpai is depends on the game, but it's always defined by a combination of GM and PC interactions. Some games make absolutely no sense if the NPC isn't the character stated in the advertisement. Some games make sense where the senpai is the a local organization (a town, the criminal or legal element of a community, etc) and the one who looks most obvious for Senpai (Jack in that case) being a really high Bond.

QuoteProbably Positive news: I like your approach to PbtA, so the system is unlikely to be a problem.
Awesome

QuoteWith that in mind, what kind of game are you offering to run?
Your "fantasy Japan" request fits the scenario I put in spoilers upthread. I am not limited to those as evidenced by having placed more links in this reply.

QuoteWhat are the options :P?
THEY ARE LEGION! Jokes aside though, I mean... What do you think would work with the system, and we'll see. Same goes if you decide to read the GM secton and super want to run something totally unrelated.

I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: steelsmiter on June 17, 2020, 07:24:04 PM
who Senpai is depends on the game, but it's always defined by a combination of GM and PC interactions.
Ah, I thought you have a specific idea. My bad.

QuoteYour "fantasy Japan" request fits the scenario I put in spoilers upthread. I am not limited to those as evidenced by having placed more links in this reply.
That spoiler text sounds fun, indeed ("political decoy" is a brilliant name for a fantasy province ;D). But who is Sempai, then?  The local daimyo's wife? An influential trader's widow?
I mean, we'd probably need to make the PCs male if it's anything close to historical Japan... and I have zero intention of engaging in MxM action.
Other variants are possible, of course. I mean, the sempai can even be one of the Yokai >:)!
THEY ARE LEGION! Jokes aside though, I mean... What do you think would work with the system, and we'll see.
Well, I can easily see a couple more options.

A contemporary game centered around a high school/university/female MMA club&tournaments would be easily arranged. I mean, the Sempai can be an actual Sempai (or sensei, but that's kinda questionable). As a bonus, that opens up the possibility of having two sempai (male and female, for all player preferences). FWIW, in this case I'd play a female PC who tries to get the attention of the female Sempai ;D!

And of course, we can go the way of actually "getting into a fantasy world (which might or might not be based on Japan) via a VR simulation". You can have a couple of possible sempais there as well. A royal family with an open relationship, maybe? Maybe the PCs got summoned and the magic summoned some MMO guild 8-)?

Thing is, I'm starting to think that it might be easier to use one of your other games - like the crime game you mentioned in one of those threads. This avoids us having to get close to a specific character and lets each player focus on getting his or her own harem, instead of being a harem member.
Just a thought. Depends on what the other players would prefer, I guess (I don't think you were planning a solo game).
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Bernardo Hoagie on June 14, 2020, 09:27:50 PM

And hey, just to let you know, I've almost finished reading those, too ;D!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Bernardo Hoagie

steelsmiter

QuoteThat spoiler text sounds fun, indeed ("political decoy" is a brilliant name for a fantasy province ;D).
It's random chance, I came up with the name because of a Mike Myers/Chris Farley skit where Myers is a Japanese TV host. He asks Chris a question containing the word, along with Doki Doki, and a third I don't remember. Chris wrongly answers Cage-moosh.

QuoteBut who is Sempai, then?  The local daimyo's wife? An influential trader's widow?
I mean, we'd probably need to make the PCs male if it's anything close to historical Japan... and I have zero intention of engaging in MxM action.
Same. If there is a singular senpai, it would likely be a female character. In previous attempts to play there was a daimyo who controlled a nearby tavern, a shrine and some staff limited by in game events, and the like. Senpai can be anyone you want. The character I called the "default Senpai" was a female trained in secret by the Samurai responsible for training the Imperial Guard. She was sent to investigate Yokai involvement

QuoteOther variants are possible, of course. I mean, the sempai can even be one of the Yokai >:)!Well, I can easily see a couple more options.
all of them works too, in accordance with the notes I put about "local organization". There was a false start with a character who wanted to be Yakuza but they started some shit with a character who couldn't back down due to moral codes, and they failed to understand the significance of it. They ended up getting repurposed as a major villain.

QuoteA contemporary game centered around a high school/university/female MMA club&tournaments would be easily arranged. I mean, the Sempai can be an actual Sempai (or sensei, but that's kinda questionable).
Yep. A previous game called Hentai University actually expanded on that, by not limiting it to the MMA club.

QuoteAs a bonus, that opens up the possibility of having two sempai (male and female, for all player preferences). FWIW, in this case I'd play a female PC who tries to get the attention of the female Sempai ;D!
Having up to one for each player is written into the system as a lateral possibility already.

QuoteAnd of course, we can go the way of actually "getting into a fantasy world (which might or might not be based on Japan) via a VR simulation". You can have a couple of possible sempais there as well. A royal family with an open relationship, maybe? Maybe the PCs got summoned and the magic summoned some MMO guild 8-)?
And add layers on layers to that, saying that the school/university club is actually an Electronics Club or some shit. We could do it in such a way that the Adventure Mode and non-human build moves are only available in the simulation.

QuoteThing is, I'm starting to think that it might be easier to use one of your other games - like the crime game you mentioned in one of those threads. This avoids us having to get close to a specific character and lets each player focus on getting his or her own harem, instead of being a harem member.
Just a thought. Depends on what the other players would prefer, I guess (I don't think you were planning a solo game).
Crime and Chaos is... probably less suited to a lot of the asian themes you mention here, but it definitely works for a Yakuza/Triad game. 's got the organization structure built right in. Plus I'm lacking in a crime and chaos game right now so it's in the realm of possibility. Might want to scrape the Visual Novel themes off it though. If you want to look into it, let me know. If you decide the sample universe suits your gaming purposes I am always up for an attempt to test it again.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: steelsmiter on June 17, 2020, 09:58:38 PM
It's random chance, I came up with the name because of a Mike Myers/Chris Farley skit where Myers is a Japanese TV host. He asks Chris a question containing the word, along with Doki Doki, and a third I don't remember. Chris wrongly answers Cage-moosh.
I've never seen this, but I've watched the Kurosawa movie which probably prompted the question.

QuoteSame. If there is a singular senpai, it would likely be a female character. In previous attempts to play there was a daimyo who controlled a nearby tavern, a shrine and some staff limited by in game events, and the like. Senpai can be anyone you want. The character I called the "default Senpai" was a female trained in secret by the Samurai responsible for training the Imperial Guard. She was sent to investigate Yokai involvement
Sounds like fun.

Quoteall of them works too,
Great, seems I'm getting the hang of it.

QuoteYep. A previous game called Hentai University actually expanded on that, by not limiting it to the MMA club.
Eh, nobody says you should. An MMA club was just a smaller option - it could be an university again (possibly better for people who aren't as interested in a tournament). In this case, the senpai could be, say, the principal/vice-principal. Or, you know, even the nurse might be an amusing option :P!
Depends on who our characters respect most and interact with semi-regularly.

QuoteHaving up to one for each player is written into the system as a lateral possibility already.
OK. I seem to have missed that on the quick read-through.

QuoteAnd add layers on layers to that, saying that the school/university club is actually an Electronics Club or some shit. We could do it in such a way that the Adventure Mode and non-human build moves are only available in the simulation.
Works for me as well!

QuoteCrime and Chaos is... probably less suited to a lot of the asian themes you mention here, but it definitely works for a Yakuza/Triad game. 's got the organization structure built right in. Plus I'm lacking in a crime and chaos game right now so it's in the realm of possibility. Might want to scrape the Visual Novel themes off it though. If you want to look into it, let me know. If you decide the sample universe suits your gaming purposes I am always up for an attempt to test it again.
Then we should probably stay with this one. I like these "themes", though I call them "setting elements". The system is just an engine to drive them, in my book 8-)!

OK, after some consideration, I think I'd vote for them in this order:
The University/MMA club/whatever in a modern setting
Fantasy MMO setting
Historical setting

...Yes, I said I like historical games. But in this case, I believe the system is much better-suited to MMO fantasy and modern settings. Besides, that's what most of the webnovels I've read have been about, so I'd like to try this!
And contemporary Japan is just as fascinating a setting as historical Japan, in my book. Not to mention that it's much easier to get info on the modern world!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!