Kids movies that still give you feels

Started by Degusaurusrex, February 05, 2020, 08:27:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Degusaurusrex

What kid's movies can you still not watching without getting the feels? Near tears, tears, whatever.

Watching Toy Story 3 and that scene in the dump near the end gets me every time.

Fox and the Hound

Iron giant. Every. Damn. Time.
The trees shall be torn in half
The birds shall be severed from the sky
The water shall turn red as death
The maggots shall seek the light
And within the heart of each lay the icons of our destruction

Inkidu

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Love And Submission

Quote from: Degusaurusrex on February 05, 2020, 08:27:28 AM
What kid's movies can you still not watching without getting the feels? Near tears, tears, whatever.

Watching Toy Story 3 and that scene in the dump near the end gets me every time.

Fox and the Hound

I was like fifteen when I  first saw I on Giant and it still made me cry. That is a depressing kids movie.

Discord: SouthOfHeaven#3454

Hrairoo

American Tail (1986) that cathartic ending. From the moment when the bully kids find Feivel and throw straw on him, convincing him he's trash and his family doesn't want him, to the ending, it always gets me.
The Land Before Time (1988) omg....when Little Foot chases his "mother" down the canyon and...it's just his own shadow. That hurts me right here. *points to my chest with a pained look*

Oniya

The Last Unicorn.  Can't even narrow it down to one scene.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Cold Heritage

The Transformers: The Movie from 1986.

The first Bayformers movie had some moments of feels too, but I mostly chalk that up to the OST having some laser-guided tactical feels tunes. Arrival To Earth is some weapons-grade feels material.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

CassieBear

Neverending Story. I still cry out to Artax when Atreyu is trying to pull him from the Swamp of Sadness.
Ideas|O/O's|Post Tracker
Click Me!
Random PMs always welcome.
Roleplays:Not actively seeking.
Posting Frequency: Up to a Month
Replies Owed: 0 of 4

Armphid

Quote from: Inkidu on February 05, 2020, 08:59:10 AM
Spirited Away

This, absolutely.  Yes.  Possibly by favorite animated film.  It always makes me feel clean after watching it.  It's one of the things my SO will put on if I really get down into my depression because they know it will lift me up.

The Dark Crystal is another one.  Still engaging and fresh, fun characters, one of the most memorable movie monsters for me (the Garthim still freak me out; such a great design!), and I like Jen and Kira as individuals and together.  Plus I like that the solution isn't violence, it's not about killing the bad guys, they need healing as much as anyone else in it does.
[tr][td]
My ONs/OFFs and Other Info

One-on-One Ideas/Interests

Group Ideas/Interests[/td][td]     [/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Egoiste

Deamonbane

Quote from: CassieBear on February 06, 2020, 12:43:48 AM
Neverending Story. I still cry out to Artax when Atreyu is trying to pull him from the Swamp of Sadness.
Yup. Tugs at the feels every damn time.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

CassieBear

And another one. The Land Before Time. Like... the entire fluffing movie. From his mother's death to the tree star getting ripped to his mother's shadow to reuniting with his grandparents at the end, it leaves me one big ball of tears mixed in with Kleenex.
Ideas|O/O's|Post Tracker
Click Me!

Vulnicura

Watership goddamn Down. Once upon a time, long ago when every strip mall still housed a Blockbuster Video, my mom took me to rent some movies, as was our weekly ritual. I chose Watership Down because 1) Cartoon! Yay! and 2) Bunnies! Cute!

Innocence was lost. I'm fairly sure that movie and that movie alone was the birthplace of depression. I watched it again for the first time a few years back... It still holds up. And I'll never watch it again.

Egoiste

QuoteWatership goddamn Down

The same people did The Plague Dogs, and they used every lesson they'd learned doing Watership Down about how to traumatise children en masse by inflicting pain and misery on cartoon animals when they made it.

Rinzler

Quote from: Vulnicura on February 07, 2020, 07:47:04 AM
Watership goddamn Down. Once upon a time, long ago when every strip mall still housed a Blockbuster Video, my mom took me to rent some movies, as was our weekly ritual. I chose Watership Down because 1) Cartoon! Yay! and 2) Bunnies! Cute!

Innocence was lost. I'm fairly sure that movie and that movie alone was the birthplace of depression. I watched it again for the first time a few years back... It still holds up. And I'll never watch it again.

Likewise. I caught it near enough when it first came out and...well. Bleeding bunnies. Twitching in agony as they die. And then along came the aforementioned Plague Dogs, which upped the ante considerably in its intent to traumatise kids with graphic cartoons of animal suffering.

As a British film which came out in the late 70s, I find it emblematic of an odd time in the country. This was when highly disturbing public safety films were being put out, with perhaps the sole aim of making the kids too terrified to do anything at all. For a good example of the kind of televisual traumas I was subject to as a wee nipper, search Youtube for 'I am the Spirit of Dark and Lonely Water.'

In fairness, it worked. Albeit with the proviso it made you too shit scared to even take a bath.

They even used the sinister tones of Donald Pleasance for it. Honestly, they weren't messing around back then.

Egoiste

QuoteAnd then along came the aforementioned Plague Dogs

Watership Down was the gateway drug.

Quotesearch Youtube for 'I am the Spirit of Dark and Lonely Water.'

I am quite fond of scary public service films. I think the interest was fired up by Powerful Stuff which was among one of about two dozen films my dad (who worked for an electrical company) made me watch as a wee 'un. I'd never seen the Spirit of Dark and Lonely Water before and it was very creepy. The real kicker for me is stuff like Apaches and The Finishing Line with that surrealist slice-of-life vibe combined with such cold matter-of-factliness about their awful contents that - in my experience - pervades a lot of famously ghastly British films. Like Threads. I don't mind saying that one took a high seat among the nightmares of my childhood and I still have trouble watching it today.

I remember being shown Threads in primary school, but I didn't think to mention it in this thread because even to me it seems deranged that anyone would think it was appropriate for kids. I can't imagine a teacher airing something like that these days without getting fired.

Rinzler

Quote from: Egoiste on February 07, 2020, 04:40:33 PM
Watership Down was the gateway drug.

I am quite fond of scary public service films. I think the interest was fired up by Powerful Stuff which was among one of about two dozen films my dad (who worked for an electrical company) made me watch as a wee 'un. I'd never seen the Spirit of Dark and Lonely Water before and it was very creepy. The real kicker for me is stuff like Apaches and The Finishing Line with that surrealist slice-of-life vibe combined with such cold matter-of-factliness about their awful contents that - in my experience - pervades a lot of famously ghastly British films. Like Threads. I don't mind saying that one took a high seat among the nightmares of my childhood and I still have trouble watching it today.

I remember being shown Threads in primary school, but I didn't think to mention it in this thread because even to me it seems deranged that anyone would think it was appropriate for kids. I can't imagine a teacher airing something like that these days without getting fired.

Apaches. Dear God. Remember that bit where the kid drowned in the farm slurry? It gave me a childhood phobia of anything to do with sinking mud or quicksand. Going bait digging with my dad, down the creek when the tide was out, was a fearsome experience. Curiously, I've since learned that this phobia wasn't uncommon to kids of that era. Probably because we'd all seen Apaches.

Egoiste

QuoteApaches. Dear God. Remember that bit where the kid drowned in the farm slurry? It gave me a childhood phobia of anything to do with sinking mud or quicksand. Going bait digging with my dad, down the creek when the tide was out, was a fearsome experience. Curiously, I've since learned that this phobia wasn't uncommon to kids of that era. Probably because we'd all seen Apaches.

I've seen a lot of people say the girl drinking chemicals is the most chilling bit, but for me the slurry scene is easily the worst.

RedPhoenix

"You are who you choose to be."

"Superman."

Then I cry like a baby.

Quote from: CassieBear on February 07, 2020, 01:06:41 AM
And another one. The Land Before Time. Like... the entire fluffing movie. From his mother's death to the tree star getting ripped to his mother's shadow to reuniting with his grandparents at the end, it leaves me one big ball of tears mixed in with Kleenex.

It's very sad.

What happened to the young child that voiced Ducky is sadder.
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

CassieBear

Quote from: RedPhoenix on February 07, 2020, 07:33:38 PM
It's very sad.

What happened to the young child that voiced Ducky is sadder.

My heart breaks all over again for Judy Barsi and her mother every time I think about it.
Ideas|O/O's|Post Tracker
Click Me!

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Jag

The Secret of NIMH. That movie messed me up.

Charlotte's Web.

My Girl. "He needs his glasses!" Oh lord...gets me every time.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

RedPhoenix

Quote from: Jag on February 08, 2020, 05:31:14 PM
My Girl. "He needs his glasses!" Oh lord...gets me every time.

I haven't seen that movie in 15 years and I'm tearing up just reading that line.

RedRose

Oh American tail touches some very, very sensitive topics. It's "for kids" but not for all kids.
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

Tyrus

Up (2009). I'm a stoic mofo at the best of times, but damn, does that movie gets me every-time. Pixar really are masters of the craft, but for me, they haven't beaten the heights of Up since (with the exception of Toy Story 3).
Sex and death. They're different, but the same. To reach that final moment, that climax, you got to give up control - of your body, of your soul. And love? Well, if sex is sweet and death is bitter, love is both. Love will always and forever break your heart.

My RP Request Thread.

Mirath

Another one for Toy Story 3.

Lilo and Stitch 2: Stitch has a glitch - I remember having me in tears at the end. It probably still would to this day

Also, I recently watched Inside Out - it had me in tears on multiple occasions.
Writing Style: Third person, 1-3 paragraphs
Romance-only: M/M, M/F
Sexual Preference: M/M

Lyron

Fox and the Hound

YAS! I came to here to say Fox and the Hound, but I forgot all about Toy Story 3. Probably suppressed it, or something. ;D

M/M Players for Groups: A Registry

Music junkie here!
Love random song shares.
Anyone, any genre, any time.

Oniya

Quote from: Mirath on March 07, 2020, 12:30:47 PM
Another one for Toy Story 3.

Lilo and Stitch 2: Stitch has a glitch - I remember having me in tears at the end. It probably still would to this day

Also, I recently watched Inside Out - it had me in tears on multiple occasions.

I read something recently about Lilo and Stitch:

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2002/Jun/30/il/il03a.html

(Okay, so the article is old.  The Internet is a big place!)

Lilo is lost. Stitch(es) bring things together.

Calie

Care Bears. The one with Dark Heart. Not the movie... the movie was great, but that credit song. I still tear up to this day.
I can hear you there. Your breath... Your fear... Come let us dance.

Ons and Offs- https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=91141.0

Lyron

Quote from: Oniya on March 07, 2020, 06:58:15 PM
I read something recently about Lilo and Stitch:

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2002/Jun/30/il/il03a.html

(Okay, so the article is old.  The Internet is a big place!)

Lilo is lost. Stitch(es) bring things together.

I loved that when I found out about it. It made the movie three times better.

M/M Players for Groups: A Registry

Music junkie here!
Love random song shares.
Anyone, any genre, any time.

EnchantedDream218

Flight of the Navigator: This movie always made me happy anytime I watched it. I love 80's kids movies.

https://media.giphy.com/media/lEENA6YFBOZ1K/giphy.gif Changed to link for 13-year-old actor - Staff

My List=)

"True love is like ghosts, which everyone talks about and few have seen." ~Francois de La Rochefoucauld

XERACION

Bridge to Terebithia. HEARTWRENCHING.

Also my young offspring loves Beat Bugs and let me tell you. There are two episodes that really messed me up. Granny Bee loses her sting and the Mother Mary episode. Idk why the Mother Mary episode had me twisted up but it did. Granny Bee was obvious. A kids show literally covered a death and it made my stomach turn with just how sad it was.

Oniya

Quote from: XERACION on March 29, 2020, 01:23:43 PM
Granny Bee was obvious. A kids show literally covered a death and it made my stomach turn with just how sad it was.

I remember Mr. Hooper.

RedPhoenix

XERACION

Quote from: Oniya on March 29, 2020, 01:44:42 PM
I remember Mr. Hooper.

Holy crap that brought up some raw memories I forgot I had.

AbyssDruid

I honestly thought I was completely over crying in kids movies...then I saw Coco. Nooope.

Kids wanted to watch it again last week. Still outright sobbed at the end when he's singing to his grandma. Such a freaking masterpiece.
'Sometimes people will tell you to be kind, when what they really mean is be quiet.'
O/O- UPDATED
(Current Wants-/ UPDATED 12/3/2023)

Nali

Quote from: AbyssDruid on May 04, 2020, 06:08:37 PM
I honestly thought I was completely over crying in kids movies...then I saw Coco. Nooope.

Kids wanted to watch it again last week. Still outright sobbed at the end when he's singing to his grandma. Such a freaking masterpiece.

Coco was powerful. The emotions they conjured still chill my bones when I think about that film.

A film I'd like to note is "The NeverEnding Story." The scene? Artax in the Swamp of Sadness. :-(

KeirenReine

All of them...I'm a smol softie. Hahaha, but really. Land before time, Fox and the hound, The Lion King, ALL OF THEM! will make me weep at least.

chaosruns

Homeward Bound and The Fox and the Hound.

Scarlettskull

Fox and the hound is a big one for me
Along with Bambii and toy story 3.

Also toy story 2 with Jessie's song...oh god D:

Orval Wintermute

Quote from: Scarlettskull on June 08, 2020, 07:49:48 AM
Along with Bambii and toy story 3.

I don't remember this as it was some time ago but from stories I've been told, I cried so much and so loudly when Bambi's mother was shot we had to leave the cinema.

CharlieGirl2020

~Charlie

CharlieGirl2020

Just reading it on Wikipedia has me in tears!!
~Charlie

MasterWolf

Iron Giant
Bambi
Spirited Away
Mary & The Witches Flower
Howl's Moving castle
Any Miyazaki film
etc.

these get me every time no matter what.
"In the light, there is darkness hiding, in the darkness, there are shadows, in the shadows, there are wolves."

"We are wolves, we are many"

"Mega City One, 800 Million People living in the ruins of the old world and the mega structures of the new one, mega blocks, mega highways, Mega City One."

My On's & Off's thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=321850.msg15471306

GuyWhoLikesFun

Gotta say the lion king too...

Simba watches his dad die man, so heartwrenching :'(

also cried watching E.T ngl