Birds of Prey [Van]

Started by PearlRuby, March 26, 2009, 12:41:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PearlRuby

Starring: Katar Hol (Hawkman) and Shayera Thal (Hawkgirl/woman)

Genre: Sci-fi, Comic book interpretation
Keywords: Avian, Humanoid, Class, Gender, Corruption, Duty
Other influential sources: Neo Noir (Blade Runner, Sin City), Mass Effect (the Turian race)

Plot Overview:
Orbiting the Polaris star in a galaxy of the same name, is Thanagar, once home to the proud, avian-humanoid Thanagarians. They were a peaceful race, harbouring no civil or political unrest, only the desire to pursue science and knowledge. It was this lack of military power, which led to the historical event that would change everything. Thanagar was conquered by the Polaran Empire, reducing the surviving inhabitants into petty slaves. The first and greatest hero of Thanagar, hailed as Kalmoran, led the iconic revolution against the Empire. With an army of three thousand Thanagarian slaves, the planet was purged of all Polarans, leaving only their technology for the avian race to learn from and adapt to. Using these Polaran spaceships, Kalmoran journeyed to other planets, freeing their people and eventually unleashing his wrath on the Polaran home planet itself. Though the invaders were eradicated, the damage however, was already done. The once peaceful, organised Thanagarian community of the pre-crisis world, had learnt the concepts of crime, and power.

In the passage of centuries, the Thanagarians developed improved models of these early Polaran spaceships, and began exploring the galaxy further. Ironically, they began conquering other planets; stripping them of their natural resources while further establishing the Thanagarian Empire, using these conquered planets as protectorates. The slave market boomed. Thanagarian scouts, who would study planets in the guise of ulterior identities before invasion, were feared. The Empire, thrived.
Yet Thanagar itself had evolved into a greatly divided society, far different from it's pre-crisis age. What comes hand in hand with crime? Corruption. Status wars tore the planet in half; the Thanagarian noble classes opting to live in floating cities, while others, mostly slaves, occupy the "Downside" slums. Here, several thousand 'Downsiders' die of starvation or the diseases that plague the lower levels. A cesspool for everything wicked, such diseases cannot solely be contained forever.

Paran katar, singularly established what is known today as the 'Hawk-Police', or Wingmen. Their sole purpose is to combat crime, preventing it from leaking up to the utopia of the rich. But though their forces are highly regimented, they are actually just as corruptible as that which they fight against. A Thanagarian master thief known as Byth Rok, once a wingman commander, left various marks for others to follow in his jaded footsteps.

Katar Hol is a descendant from the founding father of the Hawk-Police, and is therefore quite an esteemed member of the force. Yet he is rogue-ish, preferring to work solo and in a noir-ish fashion, seems to harbour unhealthy secrets. His recent obsession is the investigation over the smuggling of 'Krotan Sand' a fairly dangerous drug that temporarily gifts the ability to shape shift, among its other euphoric qualities. He suspects the culprit is a figure from his past.

Shayera Thal is the illegitimate daughter of a political scandal. As a fairly inexperienced, new recruit to the Hawk-Police, she is partnered with Katar Hol in the hopes that their working relationship will benefit them both. She will learn from such an esteemed and experienced Wingman superior, and he in turn, by passing his knowledge onto another, will develop his people skills, and ultimately learn to work more as a team.

Production Notes:
It's a lot to digest, and equally it's taken me several days and hours to compile. *Is ready to collapse!*
I've previously RPed a relationship between Hawkgirl and the Green Lantern, but that was solely based on earth within the Justice League. This time, I want to focus a little more on the background of Hawkgirl and Hawkman. In the comics, there are various interpretations about their past. My favourite is the two I have pieced together above. Basically as a clue to this history, by the time they both arrive as scouts on Earth, Shayera Thal is actually Shayera Hol. Moving the story to Earth therefore, is a possibility that could easilly be explored, which would lead to them adopting their superhero identities. That would not be until a later point in the story though, since I'm far more interested in how their working relationship blossoms into romance.
Also, I have plenty of information about Thanagarians, which I'm more than happy to share with whoever is interested.  ;D

Auditions:
I'm looking for -

• Someone who is inspired and excited about what I've presented, but can also bring their own interpretations and ideas to the table for discussion.
  • Someone to play the role of Katar Hol (Hawkman) who is descriptive, likes the themes and genres mentioned, and prefers forum-based, freestyle RP.
  • Someone who has read my ons and offs and is not put off by how I like to RP.
  • Someone who is happy to compile the relevant research in order for this story to be quite long and detailed, possibly even episodic.
Interested? Send me a tell!
Phew!

To sleep, perchance to dream ... All the world's a stage.
Ons and Offs     Ideas / Requests     A&A

PearlRuby

*Ever so gently nudges the thread* ^.^'

PhantomPistoleer

Nuts!  I wish I had seen this post last month, because I was totally in the mood to play... heeeeey.  Katar Hol?  Carter Hall's the only Hawkman for me, baby! ;)
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

PearlRuby

Ah, Carter Hall is the Egyptian re-incarnation story, right? Bleh >.< Honestly, I've been craving a sci-fi story, so I reeeeally want to get creative with this rather ambiguous 'hawkworld' setting. Unless you think you could rather ambitiously merge the two hawkmen histories? o.o' I actually don't mind so much if the character are tweaked just a little to suit people's own cravings.
Also, since Katar and Shayera are not 'humans' as such, I'd like them to actually have wings, rather than the 'Nth metal' operated, false ones.

PhantomPistoleer

All right, this is how I would do it;  though Hawkworld is indeed a sci-fi, it actually takes place in the past.  This is somewhat necessary for what I am about to suggest.

Carter Hall is an archeologist investigating ancient temples recently exposed by a 9.2 scale earthquake in the remote mountains of Shangri-La.  He was followed by the Gentleman Ghost, who seeks to end his mortal foe once and for all.  In a brief battle, Gentleman Ghost accidentally activates an archaic supercomputer that transports Carter Hall's mind to the Thanagarian hero, Katar Hol;  Katar Hol and Carter Hall share a common link.  Both are descended, or aspects, of an avian God that is not exclusive only to Planet Earth.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

PearlRuby

Okay, that sounds interesting and definately leaves room for some nice character depth. If the story does move to Earth, then I imagine Katar could certainly adopt Carter Hall's identity a lot more, at least in order to fit in with humans.
If Carter Hall's mind left his body though, wouldn't that sort of leave his body in a coma state on Earth? Or, if his mind transported back to the past...gah! *boggles* that's a little too confusing for my brain ^.^' 

Anyway, you seen to be quite up to speed with Hawkman, possibly more so than I am, which is great! For Shayera though, I think I will stick to the Silver Age Hawkwoman.

As for an antagonist, I'd thought of elements of Byth Rok rather than just replicating that storyline. Maybe a copycat but, I think I wrote in the opening post it could be someone from Katar's past. Maybe I was thinking at the time how in some plotlines, Byth somehow influences Katar into murdering his own father. All that is entirely up to you.

eavatar

if you are interested, I really would love play a thanagarian rp... we can even skip Katar Hol and Shayera for a better couple, like they were replaced after their respective deaths. And of course, we could even be part of Thanagar's expantionist campgain.

I see them as a couple which was forced to marry just to become simbol of "Hawkman and Hawkwoman" a perfect propaganda ploy.

PearlRuby

Oh! More interest! Though, it seems you were beaten to the chase already I'm afraid eavatar. >.<

Psh! Better couple? I -adore- Katar and Shayera, there's no other Hawkman and woman in my eyes  ;D
To be blunt in the nicest possible way, I'd rather not have 2 RPs focused around the same setting. Plus I seem to be pretty swamped RP wise now too. Sorry  :-\
Though, if any of the other ideas on my shrinking list catch your attention, be sure to PM me, and we'll chat.

- Topic closed. Hawkman found. Thanks for the interest! -

PhantomPistoleer

I'm freakin' Hawkman!  Squawk!

And it's not a silly squawk.  It's a piercing squawk.  I suppose you could call it a shriek.  ::dances to his Ipod::
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O