RPG/JRPG What are you playing now?

Started by Oreo, November 27, 2015, 03:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathim

Has anyone played South Park: The Stick of Truth? I mean, it's kinda short, takes place over the course of 3 days in the town, I'd have preferred a full 7-day week (or even just 5 school days), but the creators really made the most faithful adaptation to the show they possibly could. It's not a bad little RPG, combat is a little difficult at first until you start leveling up and becomes a little too easy once you're at max level, but the journey is fun as heck, hilarious, and there's ways to interact with the environment to knock out enemies to avoid getting into turn-based battles if you feel like it. I really can't wait for the sequel, titled "The Fractured But Whole" which they're saying they want to be even better than its predecessor. Let's hope they succeed.

Also I got myself a Wii U for Black Friday and downloaded Earthbound, an old RPG from the SNES era. It's kind of slow and not too fun at first, but once you get in further it becomes pleasantly wacky and the story is also quite interesting for something from that long ago.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Inkidu

No all the Witcher games are that freaking dense. Yeah, 3 doesn't have the um... plowability of the first two (picking a path and just smashing down it), but I've spent hours doing quests that I had no idea where part of the main quest in both Witchr and Witcher 2. :P
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Drake Valentine

Nier.

(It counts, right? Right? Right! )

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Oreo

@Mathim - I started South Park while I was waiting for Xillia 2 to arrive. I experienced a lot of the difficulty you mentioned at the beginning so I set it down in favor of the other, but it is one I want to get back to. What I did play of it was hilarious >_> and I don't even watch South Park.

I want  so bad to feel well enough, to be upright long enough to play on my Wii. I struggle with which game to try first Xenoblade, Pandora's Tower, or The Last story.

Quote from: Drake Valentine on November 27, 2015, 07:36:08 PM
Nier.

(It counts, right? Right? Right! )
Dang straight! Though I never tried a game that hit so hard out of the box. That pregame little bit was killer to get through for me.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Twisted Crow

Aside from Fallout 4 (which to me, still counts in the Role-Playing genre), I must admit that I'm having fun with a well-polished RPG Maker game called 'Skyborn'. I can barely tell that it was made with RPG Maker VX (likely 'VX Ace'). I'm not normally into the Steampunk genre but it's a really cool blend of JRPG and Steampunk. All in all, it's the most impressive RPG Maker title that I've seen in a really long time. :-)

Oreo

Is that the MMO game Dallas?

Gah, dang you Dallas! That was the one in my wishlist that went on sale this week. I am a woman! I cannot resist a sale.

>_> *watches Skyborn download*

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,

Twisted Crow

Compared to the four other RPG Maker games I have on Steam.... Skyborn is definitely my favorite. Which is funny, I'm normally a "substance over style" kinda gamer. I'd rather play a fun and simple RPG Maker game (that uses nothing but the default stock graphics) than play a pretty game with bells and whistles that has a bunch of flat dialogue and balance issues. But I gotta give it props, Skyborn has both style AND substance. I'll be surprised if you somehow found yourself disappointed with it, Oreo. ;)

Oreo

Me too. *laughs* There are too many games!!

la dame en noir

I'm playing too many right now.

1. The Witcher(I've owned it for a while now and need to finish it)
2. Dragon Age Inquisition(for the 4th time. I'm a bioware slut)
3. Working on my own RPG using RPG Maker
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Blythe

Playing Elder Scrolls: Skyrim on my PC since I nabbed it during the Steam sale with all the DLC for pretty cheap.

Also been slowly poking about and leisurely replaying the first Mass Effect.

Twisted Crow

I always kept saying that I was going to pick up ME1 once more but I just never get around to it. As Oreo said above.... just too many games, right now. :D

Oreo

Quote from: la dame en noir on November 28, 2015, 01:15:58 AM
I'm playing too many right now.

1. The Witcher(I've owned it for a while now and need to finish it)
2. Dragon Age Inquisition(for the 4th time. I'm a bioware slut)
3. Working on my own RPG using RPG Maker

I am supposed to start playing Inquisition with a friend this weekend or next. ;D We've been waiting for our Xbone headgear to arrive. 

Quote from: Sherlock on November 28, 2015, 01:18:02 AM
Playing Elder Scrolls: Skyrim on my PC since I nabbed it during the Steam sale with all the DLC for pretty cheap.

Also been slowly poking about and leisurely replaying the first Mass Effect.

I need to give Mass Effect another go around. The first time I tried it was on the PC. *Oreo fails at keyboard* I got the trilogy on PS3, but *points up* too many games not enough time. I'm beginning to wonder if I have excessive hoarder complex.

Twisted Crow

Quote from: Oreo on November 28, 2015, 01:25:12 AM
I am supposed to start playing Inquisition with a friend this weekend or next. ;D We've been waiting for our Xbone headgear to arrive. 

I used to play Multiplayer with a few friends on Xbox, but they've been kinda busy now. Likely one of the reasons why I haven't jumped back in the fray on Inquisition lately :/ Great fun, though. I love almost everything about that game. Despite not playing it recently, it's funny to me that it is STILL saved on my tiny little hard drive. :D

la dame en noir

Mass Effect is totally worth it. I was the same way when I started playing the Dragon Age series. I'm such a huge Mass Effect fan, but I seem to know a lot more about the Dragon Age Universe, than the ME universe. I will always and forever love bioware.

Though, I really should play Jade Empire and Star Wars.
A&A | FxF |

Twisted Crow

Both of them were fun. My favorite game from Bioware will always be the Baldur's Gate titles, but man they are still good at making characters that you never forget (no matter what game it is). I still say that this is Bioware's greatest strength. ;)

la dame en noir

They really are good at that. I've had the chance ot meet the developers and voice actors intimately. I love the company a lot, they're one of the main reasons I'm even going to try my hardest getting into this industry.
A&A | FxF |

Oreo

Obsidian Isolabella

I am currently playing Kingdom Hearts RE: Chain of Memories. I had originally bought it and decided that I didn't want to continue playing it when I bought it years ago because of the battle system, but I picked it back up since my PS2 is all I have right now and it's fairly interesting. I mean, I am still not crazy about the card battle system -  kind of a pain - but I'm a huge Kingdom Hearts fan to the max so I am playing to see the story. Now if only they'd hurry their butts up with Kingdom Hearts 3!

Revelation

Quote from: Oreo on November 28, 2015, 02:54:46 AM
Double quote. Will NieR II count?

https://youtu.be/HSp4Oh0lheg

THIS game was the one that me go 'Fuck, I really need a PS4'. You should have seen the look of shock on my face when they announced this. but I mean, a Nier game being developed by Platinum, with artwork by yoshida? I I don't know if they could add any other names to this title without me dying of joy.

As far as (J)RPG's i'm playing now though, i've been playing Bloodborne and Rune Factory 4 on the 3DS. BB is great - more action than RPG, but it has a great atmosphere and setting, RF4 is lots of fun, lots of things to do. Farming, adventuring, training monsters, a ton of crafting (it's very important), the game is really dense with lots of little things for a player to work on.

la dame en noir

Speaking of JRPGs, I've only ever been able to complete KH. I have yet to finish the number of FF games I have, including Dragon's Dogma.
A&A | FxF |

Obsidian Isolabella

Quote from: la dame en noir on November 28, 2015, 04:20:48 PM
Speaking of JRPGs, I've only ever been able to complete KH. I have yet to finish the number of FF games I have, including Dragon's Dogma.

Dragon's Dogma is actually one of my favorite games, but I will say it can take a while to complete the game. There is a lot of in depth leveling and such things to do in the game alongside guests which help you level up. It's definitely one of those games that you have to take time with and have patience with.

Mathim

Anyone here ever play Xenogears? It's a PSX title from 1998 (I think, roughly around that year) and while the character sprites are primitively rendered, the game makes it so you're only controlling them for part of it, and the rest is played in larger, better-rendered sprites of giant metal robots. So while the characters may be badass fighters on their own, once they jump into their big robot 'Gears', they change the whole dynamic of battles (well, not entirely, but there are significant differences nonetheless.) Plus the story is unbelievably complex and that's something rarely seen in RPGs, period, let alone in the more than a decade span between this game's release and today.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Mathim on November 28, 2015, 05:04:40 PM
Anyone here ever play Xenogears? It's a PSX title from 1998 (I think, roughly around that year) and while the character sprites are primitively rendered, the game makes it so you're only controlling them for part of it, and the rest is played in larger, better-rendered sprites of giant metal robots. So while the characters may be badass fighters on their own, once they jump into their big robot 'Gears', they change the whole dynamic of battles (well, not entirely, but there are significant differences nonetheless.) Plus the story is unbelievably complex and that's something rarely seen in RPGs, period, let alone in the more than a decade span between this game's release and today.

I have it on the psn, I also had hard copies of Xenosaga but they go lost in a move.  Looking to rebuild that collection.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Drake Valentine

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Mathim

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on November 28, 2015, 05:37:42 PM
I have it on the psn, I also had hard copies of Xenosaga but they go lost in a move.  Looking to rebuild that collection.

Mine weren't lost but the discs' condition were such that they couldn't be played, so they might as well have been. Three cheers for retro downloads on new-gen consoles!