News:

"The Most Precious Jewel [One Shot: NC-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Finished Arkam city and I have to say its my game of the year thus far. For sure its going to be my next review and a pretty favorable one at that

Quote from: Inkidu on October 23, 2011, 09:56:30 PM
It just spoils the surprise is all. ^___^

I'm really just looking for any excuse to pan out time until Skyrim. Nineteen days and counting.

You know you could go back and play some Morrowind or Oblivion to tide you over. I think Im going to put in Morrowind for the next few days just to get in the mood (and I like it much more then I did Oblivion)
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Oniya

Quote from: Inkidu on October 23, 2011, 09:56:30 PM
It just spoils the surprise is all. ^___^

I'm really just looking for any excuse to pan out time until Skyrim. Nineteen days and counting.

I confess to taking the time to get every single 'prize' on the Kingdom Hearts 'Clock Tower'.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Hemingway

I hope Origin - that's EA's sub-par Steam knockoff - burns. I mean, I'd never accuse EA of trying to do something original that might actually improve things, the way Steam has, but ... I just don't see a future in it. I bought Battlefield 3 there, because it's an absolute must-have game for me. It's not like I'm going to go on Origin looking for EA games to buy, though. I mean, I often go through Steam's list of games to see if there's anything I might want. I will never do that with Origin. Which means, you know, they won't make money. Unless they dramatically improve their service.

Sabby

On an AvP comic binge, decided to replay AvP3. Surely it wasn't as bad as I remember, right?

Stupid marine walking towards me, with an Alien doing figure 8's on the wall behind her. I try to shoot it and end up swinging my gun around drunkenly, waste my entire clip without hitting it, and then, after a few seconds... "Do you hear that? Theres something here..."

Yep. It is.

Wolfy

Got Battlefield 3 on the 360.

Also going to get Pokemon Rumble Blast.

Wolfy

Inkidu

I see your Bricks of War, Wolfy, and raise you one live-action Skyrim Trailer.

Elder Scrolls V Skyrim Live Action Trailer [HD]

Dragon-Born, like a boss.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Yeah, so I said I'd get Arkham City for the Xbox. Turns out I won't.

'cos I got it for free with my video card.

Sabby

Oh god... it's guna be like Assassins Creed Brotherhood all over again. A game as context sensitive as Arkham City is just going to straight up suck on a keyboard.

Hemingway

Probably.

Thankfully, the Master Race has a solution to that problem as well. Using an xbox controller!

Edit: So, I finally got to play Battlefield 3. It's a good game, no surprises there ... but I can't get over this Origin crap. It is bad. I mean, this is really bad. I'd probably go so far as to say it's the worst thing to happen to gaming since developers decided PC games should be poor console ports. I mean, we're talking about a service that does nothing but open a web browser, which essentially acts as the game's menu. And it sucks. And why couldn't they just give me a damn menu with a damn in-game browser, letting me do my thing in the game? I will never understand. Probably because there's nothing to understand. Probably because someone, in their misguided attempt at making something new, ended up trying to reinvent the wheel. Only instead of making the wheel round, they made it a polygon; a close approximation to a wheel, but with just enough flat sides to make up feel awkward and make you wonder why they didn't just go with the wheel.

My feelings on these things tend to change as I adapt to steadily worsening circumstances, but ... honestly, I don't see a future in this. I'm a huge Battlefield fan, so I got that. But I am not buying anything else that requires this service, I swear. I went and looked up Mass Effect 3 and its relation to Origin, too, and supposedly you'll only be able to buy the Digital Deluxe version from Origin. So I guess that means .. I'm buying the regular version. That's my way of giving EA the middle finger. I love Mass Effect ( I mean, I love Mass Effect - it might be unhealthy ), but I will ... not use this ... "service", as long as I have other options. They could get me a date with Mark Meer and I still wouldn't use Origin.

Oh, Mark Meer voices Shepard, in case anyone's confused. He has a sexy voice.

Sabby

Ah... I love just putting a game into my Xbox and playing it. It's like, yeahhh... this is how it's supposed to work. No poorly conceived anti-piracy countermeasures fucking me at both ends. Oh well, it's only a small pleasure, considering I'm on the vastly inferior platform.

Ya know what would make a good Kinect game? X-Men.

Third person action game, step back/forward/left/right to move/glide, jump to jump, cross arms to block, kick to kick, swing arms to attack, throw arms downwards to get claws out or sheath as Wolverine, touch temple for lasers as Cyclops, extend palm or backhand/swipe for wind, or throw hands down for lightning as Storm, move hands for telekinesis and slowly crush them as Jean Grey, and, the best feature... it recognizes your voice!

Roar to up your attacks power as Wolverine, or growl to boost your healing. Call out for wind and lightning as Storm, the power rising with your voice, and hold your TK for longer by groaning "I can't hold it much longer!" It doesn't matter what you say, but if your dialogue can be timed with your actions, say, punching somethings face just after you growled 'Bub', you'll hit harder, and as long as you growl or grunt or mimic the sounds of a struggle, you'll be more likely to break a block.

Brandon

Without physical feedback I don't think good can ever be applied to any of the motion controlled games. I just find it the incarnation of anti-immersion

Anyway, right now I'm in the process of doing a review for Battlefield 3 and IMO the single player is just a rail shooter and even worse just plain boring because it isn't anything but a interactice movie at this point. If this is going to be a continuing trend with modern military shooters then honestly they should just put all that money into the multiplayer, get rid of the singleplayer completely (besides a tutorial level), and lower the price by $10-15. As much as I love the multiplayer I just cant in good conscience call the whole game great because of the singleplayer

That aside in what little offtime I have Ive been trying out a little indie game called dungeon defenders right now. Its definitely a co-op focused game but its really fun when you have a nice team. I would dare say its a  little under priced even since I got it for $15. It reminds me of Sanctum (another tower defense allowing the player to directly defend) only with a fantasy setting
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Hemingway

Quote from: Sabby on October 26, 2011, 08:09:58 PM
Ah... I love just putting a game into my Xbox and playing it. It's like, yeahhh... this is how it's supposed to work. No poorly conceived anti-piracy countermeasures fucking me at both ends. Oh well, it's only a small pleasure, considering I'm on the vastly inferior platform.

At least we're on the same page here.

Anyway. I gotta do my duty and murder some people on-line.

I mean, despite the hellish abomination that is Origin / Battlelog, Battlefield 3 does everything right. It's the little things that set it leagues apart from most shooters of the day. Like a suppression system, where shooting in an enemy's direction is actually useful for something even if you don't hit. And the ability to mount an MG on a bipod, and lay down some accurate fire. I'm a little worried MGs will be overpowered, but since the Assault class now acts as a medic, I have a feeling it won't be that bad. And also, shooting just feels ... right. Recoil, man! You can't just spray wildly!

Unless you have an MG mounted on a bipod and the enemy runs out in front of you. In that case, you spray wildly and that bastard DIES A TERRIBLE DEATH. Toppling over in a realistic fashion! I WOULD KNOW.

Sabby

As long as the deaths aren't as jarring as they were in Call of Duty... every bullet was like being slapped with a 40 kilo steak with the amount of screen shaking and screen splattering ya got, and when ya died you just somehow warped face down in the dirt, like someone hit the fast forward. I've honestly never seen such a terrible way to handle player damage, and considering you die so many times, its even more annoying.

Wolfy

Quote from: Hemingway on October 27, 2011, 11:14:31 AM
At least we're on the same page here.

Anyway. I gotta do my duty and murder some people on-line.

I mean, despite the hellish abomination that is Origin / Battlelog, Battlefield 3 does everything right. It's the little things that set it leagues apart from most shooters of the day. Like a suppression system, where shooting in an enemy's direction is actually useful for something even if you don't hit. And the ability to mount an MG on a bipod, and lay down some accurate fire. I'm a little worried MGs will be overpowered, but since the Assault class now acts as a medic, I have a feeling it won't be that bad. And also, shooting just feels ... right. Recoil, man! You can't just spray wildly!

Unless you have an MG mounted on a bipod and the enemy runs out in front of you. In that case, you spray wildly and that bastard DIES A TERRIBLE DEATH. Toppling over in a realistic fashion! I WOULD KNOW.

Ah yes.

In the immortal words of Deadpool:

"Guns don't kill people. I KILL PEOPLE!"

Hemingway

Quote from: Sabby on October 27, 2011, 11:25:45 AM
As long as the deaths aren't as jarring as they were in Call of Duty... every bullet was like being slapped with a 40 kilo steak with the amount of screen shaking and screen splattering ya got, and when ya died you just somehow warped face down in the dirt, like someone hit the fast forward. I've honestly never seen such a terrible way to handle player damage, and considering you die so many times, its even more annoying.

The animations are pretty sweet, actually. If you kill someone while they're running, they continue in that direction. Face-first. Into the dirt.

All right. I got to play a few hours with my brother, and the game ... kicks so much ass. I mean ... this is the best MP FPS there is. There's no doubt about that. They've managed to crack some sort of formula. There is no plague of snipers ( hell, I can even play one myself ), helicopters aren't flying coffins ... I ... I could go on.

Sabby

I meant when the player dies. It was just bad, and yet it went on completely unchanged in pretty much every CoD game. Smack, smack, smack, instakill. I really think they could have used the Brothers in Arms deaths. They were perfect. It's like they kept the players perspective from the character models face as it went into ragdoll, so that mortar shot made the sky and ground start tumbling about and then the grass covers your vision or you stuck staring up at the clouds and the bullets flying past. It was so convincing.

But no, smack smack smack instakill. This is clearly the better option. What does Brothers in Arms know?

Sabby

Inkidu

Quote from: Brandon on October 23, 2011, 10:03:28 PM
Finished Arkam city and I have to say its my game of the year thus far. For sure its going to be my next review and a pretty favorable one at that

You know you could go back and play some Morrowind or Oblivion to tide you over. I think Im going to put in Morrowind for the next few days just to get in the mood (and I like it much more then I did Oblivion)
I actually found Oblivion more playable in certain aspects than Morrowind. I nearly die of boredom any time I tried to make a stealth character in Morrowind. Still, that's neither hear nor there. I don't want to play an Elder Scrolls game because I kind of want to do a fast so to speak, clear the palate so I can O.D. on some Skyrim goodness.

It's only two weeks... I can make it...

Incidental note: I kind of find it funny that people harp on Oblivion's fast-travel mechanic. However, in the main TES games Morrowind is the odd man out. Arena and Daggerfall both had fast-travel. If you don't want it don't use it. :\
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

Yeah, comparing Oblivion to Morrowind is like flipping every switch the opposite way. Oblivion was pretty and very playable and accessible, while Morrowind was ugly, intimidating, and wasn't very playable. However, Oblivion was clinical, mechanical, and lacked interesting level design, and Morrowind was immersive (as immersive as can be with a horrible game engine, at least, I put it down to scenery and music choice) and had plenty of great looking areas to explore.

Play Oblivion for 5 minutes and you've seen everything. Play Morrorwind for 1 hour, and you've seen more then Oblivion can offer you ever.

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on October 29, 2011, 04:22:55 AM
Yeah, comparing Oblivion to Morrowind is like flipping every switch the opposite way. Oblivion was pretty and very playable and accessible, while Morrowind was ugly, intimidating, and wasn't very playable. However, Oblivion was clinical, mechanical, and lacked interesting level design, and Morrowind was immersive (as immersive as can be with a horrible game engine, at least, I put it down to scenery and music choice) and had plenty of great looking areas to explore.

Play Oblivion for 5 minutes and you've seen everything. Play Morrorwind for 1 hour, and you've seen more then Oblivion can offer you ever.

So where will Skyrim fall, oh Sabby-one?

Sabby

Wouldn't know, I haven't seen anything for it, and I won't until I actually play it, but a friend did tell me they completely scrapped the Oblivion/Fallout engine and started over... and to that, I say, well done Bethesda.

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on October 29, 2011, 09:31:20 AM
Wouldn't know, I haven't seen anything for it, and I won't until I actually play it, but a friend did tell me they completely scrapped the Oblivion/Fallout engine and started over... and to that, I say, well done Bethesda.

Actually yes, they did.

In fact, Bethesda made an entirely new Engine for it, which allows better character animations, Dynamic snowfall (Which I take means you can cause avalanches, but eh), and because Dragon's play such a pivotal role, they even set aside a team specifically for designing Dragons and how they interact with the world.

Brandon

I just feel I need to point out that pretty isnt really a valid criticism when you have to consider Morrowind was released in 2004? wth the same graphics limitations as the last generation of consoles. Even so the aesthetics fo the game (and especially the water effects) make it look amazing even today. You cant tell me that walking around Tel Ahrun and seeing the spectacular tree buildings isnt a feast for the eyes. The only things that fall short are the character models (and some of them like cliff racers, nix hounds, and rats still look fine)

One thing I will agree with is the game is very oppressive with the amount of freedom it gives the player. You dont have to do anything if you dont want to, in fact you can even kill the NPC whos trying to help you save the world (ultimately dooming it in the process) and the game is totally fine with it

Inkidu

Oh, I concur entirely, but I tend to take the game that doesn't bend me over the barrel to the one that does. That and after a literal day... day (real-world twenty four hours) lost in Morrowind I think I walked all the way to Cyrodill. :D

Skyrim seems to be taking a mixed approach. The ease of play and ease of travel (for those who want it) from Oblivion, and the level of detail, unique landscape (150 plus hand-crafted dungeons) of Morrowind.

Wolfy: The new engine is actually a result of being lambasted by the guys who made Gamebryo. They went under without leaving a way for it to be licensed. Still, that's like complaining that someone took all the murder out of the world.

Brandon: They're fine with it inasmuch that they give you a pop-up saying, "You've doomed us all, you fool!" Still, it took me forever to kill that stupid blades spymaster so its all good. The world can go after that.

Just in case Sabby doesn't want to hear it.
Apparently in the two hundred interim period between Oblivion and Skyrim Morrowind is essentially destroyed by volcanic activity. Talk about moot.