What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

My point was that unlike most games it doesnt end the game, instead it lets you continue it and live with your decision as well as see the ultimate outcome. Most games would just give youa game over screen or maybe a cutscene telling you what happens (if youre lucky) but very few let you continue the game
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

yugi006

Currently playing:
Ninja Gaiden 2 (*Points to avatar*)
Oblivion
Final Fantasy XIII

I will be getting Skyrim and playing when it comes out.

Inkidu

Quote from: Brandon on October 29, 2011, 10:40:15 AM
My point was that unlike most games it doesnt end the game, instead it lets you continue it and live with your decision as well as see the ultimate outcome. Most games would just give youa game over screen or maybe a cutscene telling you what happens (if youre lucky) but very few let you continue the game
I'm kind of not with you there. If it had left some avenue to where you could actually work toward a "bad ending" that would have been something. As it stands now you're stuck in limbo just doing stuff until you inevitably reload for the main quest. It's just one prolonged game over scene really, and kind of the definition of an exercise in futility. :\
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wolfy

Quote from: Inkidu on October 29, 2011, 11:02:10 AM
I'm kind of not with you there. If it had left some avenue to where you could actually work toward a "bad ending" that would have been something. As it stands now you're stuck in limbo just doing stuff until you inevitably reload for the main quest. It's just one prolonged game over scene really, and kind of the definition of an exercise in futility. :\

Ah, but the reload is history fixing itself to where that death never happened.

Also..stuck in Limbo?

So you mean when that character died..everyone else died and now you're stuck in an eternal limbo of fetch quests and things?

Inkidu

Quote from: Wolfy on October 29, 2011, 04:30:06 PM
Ah, but the reload is history fixing itself to where that death never happened.

Also..stuck in Limbo?

So you mean when that character died..everyone else died and now you're stuck in an eternal limbo of fetch quests and things?
I mean in limbo in that you can't go forward because you've killed the quest giver, and you can't go back and undo it. Limbo.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wolfy

Quote from: Inkidu on October 29, 2011, 04:43:56 PM
I mean in limbo in that you can't go forward because you've killed the quest giver, and you can't go back and undo it. Limbo.

STOP BREAKING THE IMMERSION.

D:

Inkidu

Sabby

Playing Majun: The Forsaken Kingdom. It's... okay. I has enough to make me turn the Xbox off in frustration, but also enough to make me wish it had been better.

It starts like some Disney film, back in the Aladdin days. This dark, corruption goo shows up, begins infecting all life, and only the Majun, a large creature made up of the Earth and commanding all the elements, drives them away, with the help of a human hero. The Darkness returns, and since it cannot kill the Majun, it imprisons it, taking it's powers, which it cannot destroy, and instead seals it in fruit, hidden around the Kingdom. A spike has been jammed in it's hand, pinning it to the ground, and drawing it's power, so it will never have the strength to escape. The Kingdom falls to The Darkness, and a boy survives this, as he was raised in the wilderness by animals, which he can speak with. The Darkness is starting to effect them, as well, so he frees the Majun, and the spike he took from it's hand is now infused with the Majun's stolen power, and is the only weapon that can harm the Darkness, besides the Majun itself. You must restore his powers, so he can free the Kingdom once again.

Good beginning, right? A bit plain, but it's got the Disney feel to it. Prepare for disappointment. So far, 8 hours in, the plot has gone nowhere, and the gameplay, an action-platformer with puzzle solving, is only just barely competent, and down right frustrating in it's poor execution. Tepeu, you're main character, has no momentum to him at all, which is a very bad choice in a platformer, meaning running doesn't add to a jump, his jumping just pops up without much in the way of direction, and if you so much as put your toe on an edge, he will assume the oh no, I'm falling! position and proceed to go directly downwards. Even if you run at the ledge, you'll stop and pin-drop.

And the fighting is even more stilted. You can roll out of the way, and that's your only defensive option, since there's no blocking, no counters, nothing. Your only moves are hammering on the X button to swing, which leaves you stationary, or pressing A and X for a thrust attack. Often times, the only way to fight is to roll under an attack, Thrust the enemy in the back, and then start wailing on them while they're on the ground. Problem is, they have a LOT of health, enemies respawn, and with the amount of back tracking, this is a problem. Most fights will have you swinging at empty air for a few precious seconds, your enemy an inch away from your Keyblade look-a-like, rearing their own slow attack, spending several agonizing minutes getting back up, losing sight of your enemy as you roll under their swing, and then jumping in a random direction, since pressing A a fraction of a millisecond before X makes you pop up in the air, usually to land on top of an enemy, and awkwardly shuffling about on top of him until finally dropping into the Ow, my ankle! animation. More likely, you're going to land on the Majun, since he likes to stand on your heels half the time, and he covers most of the screen.

All he can do is walk up to an enemy, rear a punch, and send them flying, which means you spend all your time chasing after the guys he throws around. He can use some elemental powers, which are actually useful, and fighting without them is just going to make you throw your controller. It's also a cheap way of cutting right to the FRIENDSHIP attacks (yes, there is a Friendship meter) which usually result in Majun throwing you in the air to land a strike.

There are some neat part's, though, like getting the Majun behind a bolder and luring enemies into a path where they will get crushed when he shoves it rolling. This gets repeated, a lot, and the novelty wears off fast. The puzzle solving is pretty simple, usually done on the first try, with you having to rely on the Majun to keep up, which he won't, and in the rare instances you don't have the powers needed for a puzzle, instead of assuming Metroid-Vania thinking, there's a helpful parrot or mouse there to tell you, in voice acting that would make Dora the Explorer impatient, EXACTLY what powers you need, usually in a bad attempt to be subtle. GEE, I wonder if the Majun could do this, once he can BREATH FIRE! =D Eh? Eh? Just a theory.

I want to love this game. There is so much potential here... the first time I got to the last sliver of my health bar and realized that I was one of the Darkness soldiers with just a part of my face showing through the goo, I literally had my jaw drop. But then I told the Majun to hit those guys over there with Wind, and he proceeded to wade all the way over, let them surround him, and then miss half of them. Then he expected me to jump and hit the big guys mask. You want PRECISION, Majun? Really? Go save the Kingdom yourself.

Sabby

Another thing I noticed... there's no scale here :/ It doesn't feel like some dark apocalypse, you only ever see five or so monsters at a time, and usually in nice surroundings. There's never a time where you walk down an old battlefield or a ruined city absolutely swarming with the Darkness. And considering you're a giant monster and a kid with a magical Keyblade that hurts the evil goo, you'd expect to see scenes with the Majun swinging and sending a half dozen little goo people flying, soldiers hanging from him, then getting blasted off of him with fire and wind and lightning, while Tepeu swings to keep the ocean of black at bay, like even touching that Spike is like touching lava.

But no, we get a couple of guys with really long health bars.

Inkidu

Grr. Some of the those predator maps can sure fill you with rage.

I have to hit two people with a zip-line (by casting it in another direction after hitting the first).

Lame-sauce.

Sabby

Asura's Wrath - Announcement (PS3, X360)

Dang... ya know, I would have loved Bayonetta and Devil May Cry 4, but something about the combat was just infuriatingly loose and clumsy to me. The only OMG SO OVERDONE game I liked in recent memory was Vanquish, and that only had punching as a cutaway gag to the bullets main performance. Maybe this will give me the bullshit over the top brawling I want...

Hemingway

Battlefield 3 isn't the same if you're alone. If you're on Skype with two competent players, you can really kick ass. If you're playing with random people, it's more like Call of Duty with tanks. It's still good, but not the same. Greatness is when you're flying a Black Hawk while talking to the guys manning the guns. Or using a UAV to mark enemies from above, and guiding your friends along from a top-down view.

Sabby

I have zero interest in League of Legends, but I'd love to be able to make the expansion packs. League of Legends: When Unions Tear, League of Legends: Realm of the Fire Lords, League of Legends: Lost Magi and Orcs, League of Legends: The Rise of Lost Legions, League of Legends Zero: On Dead Sands, and League of Legends: When They Fight!

Abbreviate those ;)

Bayushi

I grabbed the Magicka "combo pack" off of Steam today, as well as Sanctum.

Gave Magicka 1P a try for a bit, and will get to Sanctum a bit later tonight.

yobo

Having another go at Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas at my old Playstation2. Never got around to buy a newer gaming machine, but GTA: San Andreas are still great fun.

Hemingway

Speaking of San Andreas, I assume everyone here is aware GTA V has its first trailer now.

It's gonna be sick, I'm sure.

Bayushi

I wish I could get GTA: SA to work on my PC.

I bought the big GTA combo pack during Steam's summer camp sale, but not a single title will run on a 64-bit OS. >:(

Bayushi

I don't know if the NDA for The Old Republic still applies, but I'll just leave this here, hoping no one goes and gets me banned...

Me playing around on Coruscant with a Fem Twi'lek Jedi Shadow (Consular advanced class). Apologies about the crappy video quality, my video compression software blows. The original 1080p resolution videos were upwards of 4 gigabytes (using full version of Fraps to record, compressed with Handbrake).

Also ignore how poorly it seems I'm playing. I'm still getting used to the class (or was. Haven't hopped on the Beta in awhile, since the beta client updater is not cooperating with me).

Inkidu

Batman: Arkham City is now on my shit-list.

It has to save like a gillion times a second, especially when playing the challenge modes, or especially on restarts from dying. So, after the ninety-billionth time getting plastered
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
by Two Face as Catwoman at the end so I could open up the free-ranging on my NG+ game
I must have quit just a tad too early. Now I have no game data. None. Nothing. It's all gone. I'm going to have to start from scratch. I thought, "Eh, not so bad, it's a fun game, plus I still have Joker's Carnival to have fun with. Well, herp-a-derp. No game data means no upgrades in any mode.

If I ever get a vote for what should be game of the year, it ain't going to be Arkham City. >:\

[fumes]

Wolfy

Picked up the Humble Indie Bundle.

Got Voxatron, The Binding of Isaac, and Blocks that Matter. :P

Wolfy

So..this minecraft things....I has it. @_@

dready

Quote from: Wolfy on November 05, 2011, 03:12:37 PM
So..this minecraft things....I has it. @_@
I'm bevyrage on minecraft, and I'm currently between multiplayer servers for the time being, but we'll have to play online together at some point wolfy. owo)/

So it's been a while since I've posted in here. Why? Dark souls. The past week I have found my difficulty curve for this game. Most people find it at the gargoyles, more people find it at the first dragon. Other people complain about the Iron golem, and even more complained about the gaping dragon. You see, once I found out that you can summon npc's and even other people online (but i has no xbox live) when you're human, I just ran around EVERYWHERE as a human. I farmed from so many rats and dogs it was not even funny. I found and fought NPC's who only show up and attack you if you're human before you beat the area's boss. I have items that you can't get without EXTREME levels of dedication earlier in the game than I should. The only optional boss before Anor Londo's twin fight that I haven't defeated is the guy(s) after Pinwheel (easiest boss ever, but then again undead pyromancer vs human pyromancer w/ fire resistance abilities and equipment out the ass) but I'm stuck at the twins.

The freaking twins.

I cannot kill even one of them without having Solaire (greatest NPC I've ever met) at my side, and he tanks so hard that he's dead within seconds of one of the twins being killed. THEN I manage to get the second one down to 1/8th their health and they start spamming their 1 HIT KO move. The guy with the hammer already spams his massive AoE of unblockable damage enough for my pyromancer to die once her spells run out. The one with the spear I've managed to dodge roll on a very inconsistent basis, but it's spammed enough that I cannot get out of his attack range with the second dodge anyway.

Hell I farmed for the first time in the game to get the ring of lightning resistance solely for the fight, and killed another npc for the ring that lets me dodge roll like a ninja: by doing a ninja flip. Still killed just as easily.

But this is dark souls. In other parts that I've had trouble (up until now, third time's the charm got me through) it was rewarding. I have not read any walkthroughs or watched any LP's other than finding out where the painted world was so I can see how Dark Souls portrayed their Half Dragons. (btw, priscilla is a BEAUTIFUL creature to me: both fuzzy in appearance, and her voice actress is not crappy compared to another npc I could name if I remembered it) So yeah, I believe that I'm going to be well rewarded.

Next try, I'm testing out how resistant to poison these twins are. >:C

Hemingway

So, who's excited about Modern Warfare 3? I'm not. But I watched the Redemption trailer, and it's decent. Still, I can't get over the voiceover. Seriously, just take a look at this:

"Your moves are miscalculated. And underestimating your enemies... your biggest mistake. You will find the will of a single man can be broken."

... that means ... absolutely nothing! Literally! Those sentences do not form a coherent narrative! It's like if I just wrote down three dramatic-sounding sentences and strung them together. I mean, the first part, okay, but the last sentence? Why would that be news to anyone? I assume it's referring to Shepard or Makarov or who gives a crap, but ... come on! It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that the will of a single man can be broken! And why does that matter? AAHHHHHH.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on November 05, 2011, 08:12:24 PM
So, who's excited about Modern Warfare 3? I'm not. But I watched the Redemption trailer, and it's decent. Still, I can't get over the voiceover. Seriously, just take a look at this:

"Your moves are miscalculated. And underestimating your enemies... your biggest mistake. You will find the will of a single man can be broken."

... that means ... absolutely nothing! Literally! Those sentences do not form a coherent narrative! It's like if I just wrote down three dramatic-sounding sentences and strung them together. I mean, the first part, okay, but the last sentence? Why would that be news to anyone? I assume it's referring to Shepard or Makarov or who gives a crap, but ... come on! It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that the will of a single man can be broken! And why does that matter? AAHHHHHH.
Nope, give me Skyrim. It's like Call of Duty but with swords... and magic... and dragons... and slow-mo decapitations... and dragons...

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on November 05, 2011, 08:17:52 PM
Nope, give me Skyrim. It's like Call of Duty but with swords... and magic... and dragons... and slow-mo decapitations... and dragons...

I already bought Skyrim.

I hope Steam lets me preload soon.