What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Was digging through my closet today and found an old CD inside an unmarked case, I mean really old. Turned out it was my copy of X-com. I thought someone had borrowed it and just never gave it back but imagine my surprise when I found my 3rd favorite PC game of all time (first being the original deus ex and second being Descent).

For those that dont know X-com is a turn based tactical game where you are a world recognized organization set on stopping an alien invasion. Theres 4 different species that I remember, maybe more, and its hard as hell unless you abuse psionics.

So Im going to be playing it over the next few weeks, for this playthrough Im putting my main base in Australia. Im thinking new bases will be added in the west coast of the US, Rome, and Madagasgar
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Bayushi

Quote from: Wyrd on October 03, 2011, 11:14:56 PMHow's the games so far? O.O
I'll copy/paste what I wrote on another board about the game (while having to deal with trolls doomsaying about TOR's impending complete failure. >.<).

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

People were complaining that it'll be "WoW with lazorz", so I wrote the following:
QuoteI don't agree that it's WoW with lasers.

It's very "WoW-like" in that it's a "push button MMO", but BioWare iterated on what WoW did right and made it better.

Combat is somewhat similar (but aside from what AoC and GW2 have done and will do, there isn't much more one can do with this nature of game), albeit everyone regardless of spec/Advanced Class will be able to solo effectively. Sure, some Classes/AC's will solo better than others, but no one will be unable to solo. Even healers will be able to solo.

Among the best features of the game is that one will be able to play it like a Solo RPG all the way to the level cap and beyond, or they can group play all the way to the cap and beyond. Or a mix of both.

TOR is very casual friendly while maintaining the harder group activities (raids, group PvP) for the hardcore crowd. The game is mostly focused on the story, instead of the gear grind.

Unlike WoW, TOR has an unlimited capacity to expand. WoW needs new zones? Wait for the next expansion for a new continent or planet (like Outland). To just add new zones in WoW would require an entire new area/continent/planet, as to change Kalimdor, the Eastern Kingdoms, or Northrend would be so major an undertaking that it would only be financially feasible to do it in an expansion.

TOR needs new zones? Next patch they add a new planet or two. Unlike WoW, TOR's "zones" are planets themselves, with each planet being remarkably large in scale.

Guilds are being built upon beyond the "levels" that WoW guilds have. There are Guild Alliances with certain benefits and guild adversaries with certain benefits and detractors for both sides; all built into the game itself. My guild "Bravo Five Zero" already has two Allied guilds and one adversary, the as-current maximum number of Allies/Adversaries possible (three).

BioWare is adding RP and (recently announced) RP-PvP server types, which should be available at launch. Hopefully, we will be able to marginalize the grievers and 1337-kiddies quickly, and be able to foster a respectful RP community in TOR.

I can't comment on PvP, as I have not participated as-yet. PvE, there are some helpful changes (compared to WoW). For one, there are no "Pure" classes, as every class is capable of filling two roles (some can fill three, and I believe one of each faction's Force users can fill all four (tank/heal/melee dps/range dps)). Not everyone will roll the same class. You can't just say, "I'll roll a Jedi", as there are two Jedi classes, each of which has two Advanced Classes. The same goes for Sith. All of which are quite different from one another.

Troopers/Bounty Hunters and Smugglers/Imperial Agents are sufficiently strong enough to compete with the Force users, as the player-characters are the "heroes" of the game world and are better than the average (NPC) members of any class. Having played every class except Bounty Hunter, I can assure you that Jedi are not overpowered (and a few AC's are underpowered currently).

I've put a lot of time into each character I've played as-yet, and yet it is still taking me a significant amount of time to level, which leads me to believe that the leveling game will be given a lot more attention in TOR (as compared to most MMOs, where the "game doesn't start til level 60/70/80/85"), as that is where the majority of the story takes place (though I hear that there's still a lot of story left to go at level cap).

Inkidu

Thankfully Batman Arkham City hits soon. I need to really get to the bank. Still, I'll probably get it after I finish my paper on deconstruction theory so that I'm not distracted.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

I don't get my mod for another 2 weeks, so I'm guna be missing out on a few of these games :( Rage, Saints Row, Skyrim, Gears 3, Arkham City... oh well, will have them soon.

Sabby

Well, Gothic 3's constant lagging, crashing and long load times were pissing me off, so I went and grabbed a game at random from the bargain bin. Now, what do you get when a low budget Russian dev team get a hold of an untranslated copy of Bioshock, having no idea what the game is or what it's about, and refer to the one person on the team who plays Resident Evil to write the plot, then when they figure they need to be super duper through, they use type into Google 'best game ever' and find Deus Ex.

You get Scorpion Disfigured. And... It's actually kind of fun. What? o.O You were expecting me to rip it apart from that painfully negative hypothetical opening? Where are you people getting this demon image of me, honestly xD

Wyrd

Quote from: Akiko on October 05, 2011, 03:58:49 AM
I'll copy/paste what I wrote on another board about the game (while having to deal with trolls doomsaying about TOR's impending complete failure. >.<).

People were complaining that it'll be "WoW with lazorz", so I wrote the following:

Thanks. Very nice reveiw. Will be keeping an eye on this.
Ragtime Dandies!

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on October 05, 2011, 09:46:45 PM
Well, Gothic 3's constant lagging, crashing and long load times were pissing me off, so I went and grabbed a game at random from the bargain bin. Now, what do you get when a low budget Russian dev team get a hold of an untranslated copy of Bioshock, having no idea what the game is or what it's about, and refer to the one person on the team who plays Resident Evil to write the plot, then when they figure they need to be super duper through, they use type into Google 'best game ever' and find Deus Ex.

You get Scorpion Disfigured. And... It's actually kind of fun. What? o.O You were expecting me to rip it apart from that painfully negative hypothetical opening? Where are you people getting this demon image of me, honestly xD
I think people like watching you rip apart games for the same reason they like watching kittens rip apart balls of yarn. :)

School. It is getting my way of so much right now. Damn mid-terms, damn them all to hell!
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

I've been playing an unhealthy amount of Fallout: New Vegas ( again ). Not to compare apples and oranges here, but it's probably my favorite Fallout game. It just gets so many things right. It's not perfect. For one thing, it could've been bigger, with more places to explore. I'm not sure how big it is compared to Fallout 3, but D.C. was massive in and of itself, with plenty of abandoned buildings. In New Vegas, most buildings are small, or boarded up. Things like that.

But, dammit, all the factions, all the weapons, all the ways of solving quests ... it sucks me right in. And I feel unbelievably badass when wearing Enclave power armor and using a flamethrower to tear through a group of enemies. I sit here going, "PURGE!" as I walk slowly toward them, raining HOT DEATH.

Wyrd

That was actually the best writen review I've heard yet on Fallout/New vages. lol!

I've been revisiting Warcraft 3/Reign of chaos lately. Still holds up as a an awesomly fun RTS. I've also been replaying Sins of a Solar Empire.
Ragtime Dandies!

Sabby

I just played the first part of Rage. And keep in mind, my previous knowledge of this game was 'it's like Fallout'. That's it. I've seen no screen shots, watched no videos, and read no articles about it, and all conversations of the game have resulted in me covering my ears and banging my head loudly against something solid.

With myself properly prepared, I sit down for the first half an hour, and my reaction? Holy. Fucking. Shit. If there was ever a game worth boycotting large parts of the internet and conversations for the last few years, THIS is the one. Fuuuu... I'm in love <3

Hemingway

Rage is one of those games that has completely failed to capture my attention. I don't know what it is ( or isn't ) about it, but it just doesn't interest me beyond "maybe I'll get it when it's on sale". Meanwhile, I'm obsessed with all things Fallout ( New Vegas, tactics and Fallout 3 ... except Fallout 3 keeps crashing for some ungodly reason - I should probably get it on Steam, but I don't like the idea of buying a fairly old but fairly expensive game that I already own on console ).

It is making me excited about Skyrim, though. Skyrim is a weird game for me, because .. well, I've been a huge fan of the Elder Scrolls since Daggerfall. I've never been as excited about a game as I was about Oblivion. And yet for some reason, I can't get excited about Skyrim. Not in that same way. Not in the way I got excited about Oblivion, or C&C3, or Mass Effect 2. I mean, I know I'll buy it like a week before it releases, and then play it all night as soon as it's available, but ... still.

Here's hoping they make Fallout 4 not too long after that.

Tonalberry

Thought I'd update on my game status since I've been away from E for a while.  I've been playing quite a few games lately, most new.

1. Fallout: New Vegas - I've been playing this most, after getting a few mods for it.  Fuck only having two companions at a time, now I can have as many as I want.  Me and my posse be making the Mojave a better place, yo.  Finished up Honest Hearts a little while ago, and now I'm going through Old World Blues, and enjoying it.  Love the doctors and their different personalities.

2. The Binding of Isaac - Dear god this game is great and depressing at the same time.  I can never get past Cave II, but I don't really care.  I'm just having too much fun seeing poor little Isaac die over and over.  Does this make me a horrible person?  Or rather, more of one?

3. Rage - Haven't played much of it so far, and I'm enjoying it.  I am a little sad that it's not a First Person RPG like I thought it would be, but it's my own fault.  Still having fun.

4. Dungeons of Dredmor - Just got it last night, and loving it.  As with TBoI, I'm not getting very far before I die, but hey, it's a roguelike.  Dying is half the fun.  If you like games like Nethack, or maybe Zork, you'll like it.  Dunno about Zork, never played it.  It's a cartoony, funny game.

That's pretty much what I've been playing.  Once the 18th comes around, I'll be hitting up GameStop to get my copy of Batman: AC.

Wolfy

Been playing:

Rage
Dark Souls
Gears of War 3
Left4Dead 2 some more, now that I have a headset again. <3

Sabby

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on October 09, 2011, 11:16:20 PM
Rage is amazing <3

....Come here, Mr. I need to check you out completely to make sure you're the real sabby, now.

Brandon

Besides my daily league of legends games I finished out X-Com but I missed a whole bunch of stuff, like I never got the ability to make my soldiers psychic. Still a great game even though it was made almost 20 years ago

Next ill be playing Dark souls (its also the next review I intend on doing). Which Im kind of looking forward to, I didnt really play Demon's souls all that much and I like the idea of an extremely challenging but fair game
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Wolfy

Quote from: Brandon on October 09, 2011, 11:22:46 PM
Besides my daily league of legends games I finished out X-Com but I missed a whole bunch of stuff, like I never got the ability to make my soldiers psychic. Still a great game even though it was made almost 20 years ago

Next ill be playing Dark souls (its also the next review I intend on doing). Which Im kind of looking forward to, I didnt really play Demon's souls all that much and I like the idea of an extremely challenging but fair game

Fair? FAIR? No sir. @_@ Dark Souls isn't fair in the slightest.

Brandon

Ive only played the tutorial thus far but it seemed pretty fair to me. Everytime I died I knew exactly why and how to approach the encounter better

Sabby

This is great xD Oh, hello Bandit. You're British dialogue has earned my dislike. Eat bladed boomerang!

Wow, cultural revelation right there. I'm so Australian .__.

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on October 10, 2011, 12:19:15 AM
This is great xD Oh, hello Bandit. You're British dialogue has earned my dislike. Eat bladed boomerang!

Wow, cultural revelation right there. I'm so Australian .__.

....Well you seem like Sabby...but Until I see the lower parts I can't be sure. :/

Sabby

Pfft, like you have anything to compare... yet.

By the way, I'm a console gamer because I prefer a controller over a keyboard, you guys know that, but people give me funny looks when I mention I can use the mouse :/ really, I dunno why, I just can't handle anything like sniping, anything that requires getting a specific shot in a very short time, I just find the shooters on PC to be too twitchy for that.

Having said that... I just protected an engineer from packs of Mutants up in a sniper nest, and I actually manage to drop majority of them on the first shot, and they come in packs of 2 to 5. So, either I'm getting steadily better at this, or Rage is doing something right no other game I played has.

Brandon

Its probably practice Sabby, I had a hard time with it too at first but eventually I found the mouse and keyboard to be the best input device for precise shooting (at least IMO). However you know you can put in a controller to your PC right? I play street fighter on occassion with a controller but I wouldnt touch an FPS with one or an adventure game

Update: Got through the tutorial and undead burg in Dark souls. I really like the game, its very difficult for anyone that doesnt take their time but for people like me who constantly look around at the surroundings its quite easy to spot the enemies and traps. I am having some difficulty with the knights though, I usually rely on backstabbing things but these guys make that pretty hard so Im stuck with using my claymore everytime they miss. It takes longer but its pretty satisfying to finally kill them

Sabby

I think I'll write a Rage review after I'm done with my first playthrough, and even though I'm fucking loving it, I do have some personal issues with it. Not critical ones, these aren't so much flaws as they are things I wish they'd have included, and the only reason why they aren't seems to be the game adhering almost religiously to being 'old school'. Which is fine, I mean, this team practically invented the modern shooter, and they do tend to branch out here and there into more modern designs, so I can't actually complain... but I will anyway xD

For instance...

A couple of hours into the game, you enter a new level that slowly builds up a boss fight in a very Cloverfield fashion, with a gigantic monster stomping around and only letting you see a bus sized ankle here or flashing some shoulder from behind a building, or hell, once he even jams his hand through the roof to try and grab you. Now, in this time, your navigating this dead city to get to a hospital for something, and my first thought was wow... I'm guna have to get in a tall building with that thing stomping around? My mind conjured up images of fleeing down a hospital ward with that fucking giantly blindly groping through the building trying to grab me, and its a fucking adrenaline pumping scenario, especially since your so high up.

But no, all we got was a simple step left, step right, avoid attack phase, shoot weak spot 3 times, monster dies. How bloody underwhelming, and the entire level was building up to this :/

Again, no one expects Rage to be a cinematical thrill ride, considering it's vintage, but the lack of a good story is enough of a damper as it is, stepping into the 'old school' design choices that we really had good reasons to leave behind is just disappointing. I mean, Bulletstorm had more cinematic depth then this. Bulletstorm! I know, I'm harping, just the opening cutscene raised my hopes above what they were before hand for the plot. Which was nothing. And I hate Trolling build up :/ ready for the boss fight?! =D Okay! Boom, dead, fuck you =3

Wolfy

I want to get Dead Rising 2: Off the record....

Sabby