Pathfinder: Carrion Crown Adventure Path (Closed)

Started by Pockets, April 09, 2015, 02:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pockets

Setting: Golarion
Number of PCs: Four.
Level: Second
Classes: Any Pathfinder class. I’d like to aim for roughly the classical “balanced” party, although I’m okay with deviating from it a bit. Keep in mind that this game is going to have a lot of Undead. If you want to do an Archetype please ask first, there are some that I'm not too keen on because they can create headaches for me in an PbP environment.
Races: Any standard race including Aasimar, Teifling, Dhamphir, and  Skinwalkers (contact me about special heritages or trait/ability changes first)
Source Material: Anything published by Paizo. No third party resources. I don't have the money to buy more books and I don't want to have to struggle to find it.
Character Sheets: Myth-weavers.com Please and thank you. Easier to find everything since it'll all be in the same place per character.
Ability Scores: Generate using 20 point buy
HP: Full for the first two levels, then half+1 at each level afterwards.
Starting gold: 1000 gp
Character Age: 18+, or racial equivalent. No exceptions.
Alignment: Any non-evil, NO EXCEPTIONS!! That being said, everyone needs to be able to be a team player. No Holier-than-thou paladins, clerics, inquisitors, oracles, etc. No Rogue's lifting from other party members. I have a ZERO Tolerance policy on this. RP arguments happen even in the most cohesive group, but I'm not going to have someone being an asshole and ruining it for everyone.
Background: I'd like to see at least a paragraph background. Breathe some life into your character. I want to see what makes the character tick.
Traits: Everyone gets two, plus an additional campaign trait from the Carrion Crown Player’s Guide
Skills: A personality quirk of mine as a GM is that when I run a campaign everyone gets an additional skill point for every level but it MUST go into a Craft or Profession Skill.

Posting Rate: I don't expect daily posts, after all RL comes first. But if you expect to be gone longer than a day or two PM me. If you've gone longer than two days, I'll send you a PM nudge asking after you. If you haven't replied within 24 hours, I'll seek to replace you. Sorry, but given that Pathfinder games fill up pretty damned fast, I can easily replace you.

Personality: As I said above, your character needs to be trusting enough to work with others without trying to screw them over (… screw them on the other hand…). Keep a game cohesive on the boards is hard enough with characters getting sarcastic with one another. Further beyond that, your characters must be interactive. Playing a lone wolf, or someone who is not constantly contributing because its "not in character" for them to interact is neither fair nor appreciated in my games, nor to do I have much tolerance for that play style. I know that may come off as being an ass, but my overwhelming observation has been that those characters kill games and suck the fun out of it for everyone else, neither of which are scenarios I want.

Appearance: I'd like some kind of picture reference. I don't really care if it's anime, picture, or drawing though I do draw the line at Chibi.

Sexuality: This is E. Sex is going to happen I get that. But to be honest, it's not really going to be the focal point. So I'm going to ask that if you shack up with a fellow character that the two of you generate your own thread for your happy time.

Selection: I will select the characters on Sunday 04/12/15 around 1 pm EST. Please keep in mind that I may contact you at a future date even if you're not selected initially.

NOTE: Thank you to FallenDabus for the format idea. I admit to shamelessly plagarizing it but give credit where credit is due.
08/02 - New A/A Update

Dakkon

eBadger

Ghostwheel

Blinkin

I'll throw in interest with a swashbuckler, but the low starting wealth for 2nd level may be a concern... I'll try to work something up.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Angie

Lots of Undead, eh?

Ya'll mothafuckas need a Paladin o' Iomedae! I've actually been itching to play a Paladin that's maybe a bit battle-hardened (perhaps from her experiences leading from 1st to 2nd level?) and willing to accept some less-then-honorable methods, at least from her allies. Iomedae herself almost kind of endorses having a buddy that backstabs the big bad monsters, so hey, there we go.

That being said, I'm a little worried about the HP thing-does that "Half+1" also include a "+CON" that just wasn't marked down? I don't mind it I just wanna know what rules we're playing by here.
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

Blinkin

Questions:

Is not using mythweavers a deal breaker? It's not blind accessible and therefore, I can't use it.

Are you willing to forego, or accept someone else selecting a pic for my character? Again, not something within the reach of a blind guy.

The extra skill point; are you going to allow downtime to actually use a craft or profession skill in game? Otherwise, it seems a mute point just to give a point for a craft/profession if it's not going to come into play.

Last question. Do you mind a male playing a female? I can do either, but group games are the only place I get the option and wanted to ask. ;)
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Angie

Quote from: Blinkin on April 09, 2015, 03:38:26 PM
Questions:

Is not using mythweavers a deal breaker? It's not blind accessible and therefore, I can't use it.

Are you willing to forego, or accept someone else selecting a pic for my character? Again, not something within the reach of a blind guy.

The extra skill point; are you going to allow downtime to actually use a craft or profession skill in game? Otherwise, it seems a mute point just to give a point for a craft/profession if it's not going to come into play.

Last question. Do you mind a male playing a female? I can do either, but group games are the only place I get the option and wanted to ask. ;)

If you really wanna join, I wouldn't mind making a myth-weavers version of your sheet for the DM, if he's okay with it.

eBadger

*Nods* If nobody can help you out with that, Blinkin, then shins need to be kicked really fucking hard. 

Pockets

Yeah, I don't care if someone builds it for you using a character sheet from another location. Actually Blinkin, you can be the exception to that rule for obvious reasons. And I reserve the right to lay down the Pimp Hand of DM Doom for any naysayers.  And the starting gold will be corrected to 1000 gp.
08/02 - New A/A Update

Pockets

Quote from: Blinkin on April 09, 2015, 03:38:26 PM
Questions:

Yes, Blinkin, you can have someone else choose a picture for you if you like. Yes there will be some downtime to utilize it. ANd I don't care if you want to play a nale, female, or a Eunuch.
08/02 - New A/A Update

Blinkin

Quote from: Angiejuusan on April 09, 2015, 03:40:24 PM
If you really wanna join, I wouldn't mind making a myth-weavers version of your sheet for the DM, if he's okay with it.

If he's ok with it, I'm ok with that option. I can certainly send you the data to put into the sheet.

Another question, drawbacks? Yes/no?

I could have a character up in a couple of hours if the questions work out ok.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Pockets

I will allow Drawbacks on the caveat that you actually roleplay them. If they're just there to be a fluff point to get another Trait, then I will have to take appropriate actions.
08/02 - New A/A Update

Blinkin

Wouldn't have it any other way. The drawback actually would fall into the backstory of meeting the good doctor.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

ChaoticSky

I would also like to ask if nonmythweavers is okay. I dont have a good reason though, other than OCD :-( . I like to pile all the information into one place so i never have to look at a book or double check anything, got in the habit around the table, but it followed me into the internet. Always found mythweavers so limiting and unintuitive.  You can see a example of my pathfinder template here. (dont plan to use that char, just let me know if your okay with me using that style of sheet)

*just noticed i forgot to finish writing in the details for the skills on there. Egg on me. But you get the idea.

Pockets

I want everyone to use Mythweavers unless someone can give me a site where you can store a character sheet of the same kind with direct links that I like better. I'm open to suggestions but I don't want to use formats. I want character sheets where everyone (Blinkin notwithstanding) uses the same character format so I can look in the same place and find what I'm looking for.
08/02 - New A/A Update

Angie

Hey Pockets, do you want us posting sheets and background in here? Because I'm already done. I can PM you if you prefer.

Pockets

Yeah, go ahead and post it all up here. The characters I transfer will be able to repost on the character thread.
08/02 - New A/A Update

Angie

Catarina the Serene

Though she serves the Goddess of Valor, Iomedae, Catarina's lineage actually traces back to Cayden Cailean. Ever the ladies man, Cayden has taken hundreds of Celestial lovers, who had children, and eventually, those Celestial children who bore Cayden's ancestry would take mortal lovers, and at a point in time approximately 87 years ago, Catarina was born. Mystery surrounded her birth, however-no parents could be found on the Material Plane, and no Celestial ancestor claims her as their daughter. Cayden once remarked that the circumstances of her birth neatly mirrored the circumstances of his Ascension.

Iomedae, however, looked to the future, not the past. Cayden's followers, the Starstone Brewers, had taken the child in, but Iomedae approached Cayden and requested that Catarina be given to her knights to be raised. "The child has a destiny that will shape Golarion." She told the Accidental God. Knowing Iomedae to be just as opposed to tyranny as he, and knowing her followers would raise Catarina with love, he agreed. Messages were sent in dreams to the followers of both Gods, and they met in Lastwall.

Even as a child, Catarina wished to ease the suffering of others. She was unskilled in the ways of healing, and quite the shy young girl, but the Knights of Iomedae often remarked that her mere presence made people feel at ease. Pain was dulled, sickness felt lights, and the many stresses of the world seemed a little farther away. Noting her calming presence, the Order trained Catarina in the ways of the healer in addition to the combat training all Knights of Iomedae received.

One day, when Catarina and a fellow Squire were sparring just on the outskirts of Lastwall, Professor Lorrimor emerged from behind a corner, bleeding profusely. Catarina moved quickly, commanding her sparring partner to find a Master Healer while she got to work using her tabbard as an emergency wrapping for his many wounds. The Healer arrived quickly and saved the Professor. "Thank you, so very much..." The Professor said. "Thank Catarina. Had she not been here, you would not have survived." "Then I thank you as well, Catarina."

That was many years ago, and one year ago, Catarina's training was completed, and she was officially sworn as a Knight of Iomedae. Her eyes, however, gazed off into the distance, far beyond Lastwall. She confided in her elders that she felt lost and without purpose. "I suppose we should tell you of how you came to us." One said. The half dozen elders nodded in agreement. They told Catarina of how she came to live with them. Though she had always known of her Aasimar blood, she had never been told of who her divine ancestor was, nor had she been told of Iomedae's prophecy. "As you are now a grown woman, and a Knight of Iomedae, if you believe wandering Golarion is your destiny, we will not stop you."

Though it was sad to say farewell to all those she had known from her childhood, Catarina knew her destiny lay outside of Lastwall. For a year, she wandered the world, righting wrongs and aiding the downtrodden. It is only now that a Courier has found her, giving her a summons to Ravengro. As she travels to Ravengro, on occasion, she finds herself visited by vivid dreams of her and the Goddess Iomedae fighting side by side against legions of the undead, and though she worries about her capabilities, she believes she may be finding her way to her destiny.

Personality:

She is quiet most of the time, leading many to believe she is shy and timid. This is incorrect-she simply only speaks when she must. She prefers action to words, and when she does speak, she chooses her words carefully.

In battle, she is a terrifying sight. Against creatures of evil, she will not stop until every monster is dead. However, against humanoid targets, she prefers non-lethal measures. When it comes to dispensing justice, she prefers to put criminals to work, believing that hard work rehabilitates prisoners better then stuffing them in a cold dark dungeon does.

Pockets

Not wanting to nitpick, but you're using the standard Aasimar racial build, right? If you are then you treat the Aasimar as if it were human for age, height, and weight. Making her 87 years old would make her venerable which would be -6 to Str, Dex, and Con with a +3 to Int, Wis, and Cha. If you want her to be of Elven heritage then you might need to tack on a few years.

Other than that I don't have any issues with it. But if you have access to the Ultimate Equipment book, you should look at purchasing the Paladin Kit.
08/02 - New A/A Update

Angie

Quote from: Pockets on April 09, 2015, 08:33:12 PM
Not wanting to nitpick, but you're using the standard Aasimar racial build, right? If you are then you treat the Aasimar as if it were human for age, height, and weight. Making her 87 years old would make her venerable which would be -6 to Str, Dex, and Con with a +3 to Int, Wis, and Cha. If you want her to be of Elven heritage then you might need to tack on a few years.

I used what the d20pfsrd said, which had Aasimars start at 60 years for Adulthood and then tack on +6d6 years for Paladin training time. I can adjust, however.

Pockets

I'll roll with it. I think they got that from third party source material though, because nothing I can find in Paizo stuff indicates anything like that.
08/02 - New A/A Update

eBadger

Aesa Wyrmborn
Arcanist 2

It was clear from her birth that Aesa was no ordinary girl, with her flame-bright eyes and feverish skin.  As a toddler she began playing with fire, laughing as she held her hand within a candle flame as though it merely tickled.  As a child, she began to focus her will into magic of a different, more primal form than her fellow elves trusted. 

It was not unexpected.  Years before a massive dragon had descended from the sky upon the wooded mountain enclave, great beats of its scarlet wings sending waves of ash and the stench of burnt flesh through the streets.  It demanded sacrifice, and Aesa's mother Aella was chosen as the most beautiful maiden, to be chained in the forest and left for dead as the beast instructed.  But Aella was not devoured; for months she was forced to serve the creature, which seemed to change forms as easily as clothing from beast to some half-living humanoid form.  Finally, having stolen as many riches as it could find, it departed with barely a word, leaving behind its concubine.  Aella gave birth on the remote glacial peak of the Iron Mountain; she took weeks returning to her village.  While the strange babe proved hardy, Aella never fully recovered; she perished of slow, lingering sickness during Aesa's childhood. 

The clan accepted the child as they had accepted Aella's sacrifice: stoically and honorably.  Not compassionately.  Not kindly.  They shunned her; her fellow children would tease and beat her, then blame her for their little crimes.  The girl was too different, too full of rage, anger, and her father's darkness.  For her part, Aesa held no love for the near strangers who had left her mother to her death.  She took their grudging charity as her due, served her duty as hunter and scout, devoured their knowledge with vague contempt and prepared for the day she would seek revenge against her father.  During this time she first met Professor Lorrimor; he studied her, intrigued by the story of the half-living creature in a frozen tower, and was the first besides Aesa's mother to treat her with basic dignity.  But he also enjoined her to seek patience, humility, and find a way to accept her kin.  In their last meeting for several years she spat upon him. 

With little more than her magic and clothes Aesa set out to find her father Ciamar and devour his heart.  Her first destination was Ciamar's mountain stronghold, which she knew had been left filled with books and magic.  But when she reached the freezing pinnacle she discovered it was occupied; the twin sisters claimed they had merely followed the smell of power, but gave small hints they might know more.  With the enticement of knowledge and power the sisters convinced Aesa to remain as their servant.  The irony of drudge work in the very structure where her mother had once been enslaved was not lost on Aesa. 

The sisters were not cruel at first.  Powerful witches, they taught Aesa some ways to control her power and focus her innate arcane energy.  The library likewise proved a useful resource.  It was not until the dark solstice that things turned awry.  The sisters wished to perform some ritual, a dread and powerful thing involving the sacrifice of a small pseudodragon.  The witches claimed the power they gained would help Aesa seek out her father across the slim boundaries of the planes, but when she walked outside to slit the tiny beast's throat over ancient stones the athame paused.  Aesa didn't hear the cruelty of her father in the creature's telepathic pleas but the first echo of kinship.  After an hour with the blade poised at Vareth's neck she released him, spilling her own blood instead for the ritual. 

Her substitution was not discovered until it was too late.  The cauldron and its noxious brew exploded, burning not only the sister's faces but their very souls.  Aesa, too, was changed: her magic magnified, her body rippled with fire and her eyes turned to flame as she was pulled partway across the planar boundary.  For days she writhed in agony, slowly piecing herself back together - for the most part - through inhuman fortitude, although the grip remained ever tenuous, likely to strain with her emotions. 

She awoke in a cage of cold iron.  She was left unsure if the sisters had always been evil, although it quickly became clear they had never had any information to give her, but the broken rite seemed to have scorched away all their goodness even as it had burned Aesa's soul into something purer.  Kept for two months as a pet, servant, slave and all too often as a victim, she finally learned true cruelty and turned away from it.  She would even come to think fondly of the home she'd exiled herself from.  For the witches had observed her resilience and new found power, and sought to claim it as their own whatever the cost to her.  Their next ritual saw Aesa chained across the very stone where she'd refused to sacrifice before; stripped in the freezing wind, the sisters clawed out a piece of her soul to serve as their plaything, a bauble of mysterious energy, and left her to die. 

Aesa holds memories, during that long night, of Vareth's voice, of his small claws scrabbling at the chains, but she knows that must be delusion.  Her fate was hers alone, and of her own making.  It was only when she hovered on the brink of mortality, the control so recently learned to hold herself together slipping, that she discovered a new talent.  She came apart, sparks in the wind, only to reform again a short way distant.  With grim fury, she returned to the stronghold and murdered both witches in their sleep.  Only the warmth of the orb kept her from perishing as she fled down the mountain. 

Weeks later, half dead herself, Aesa stumbled to Professor Lorrimor's stoop.  She couldn't fathom returning to her people; nor would trust strangers.  The old man's spurned kindness was a dim ray of hope, but one she clung to.  Even standing there, knocking on the dark wood planks of his door, she expected to be turned away for her vileness; but Lorrimor looked into her eyes for a long moment and wordlessly invited her in.  It was months before she could speak of the mountain, but he helped her recover in mind and body and this time, when he spoke to her of a better way, she did her best to listen. 

By then she was apprenticed to a smith; an odd choice at first, tied to dirt and labor she had once avoided, but when she sought out old Oberin to make a setting for her fist-size jewel she fell in love with the craft.  That a gnarled, scarred human could pound the impurities from a bit of ore and twist it into something lovely and useful somehow gave Aesa hope for herself.  Impressed by her childhood trick - holding a burning ember like a pebble - he gave her work, finally accepting her as apprentice.  When he moved from the city, Aesa followed, bidding the Professor a surprisingly fond farewell to learn her new craft.  She grew stronger wielding her master's enchanted hammer, and if never quite confident with the larger pieces she had a particular gift for fine jewelry and detail.  Her graduation from apprentice to smith was her proudest moment; she had expected a reply from the Professor with congratulations and eagerness for her return to the city when instead she opened the notice of his death instead.  That his last wish would include some sort of help to start her own shop was breathtaking in its tragedy. 

Physical Description:  Aesa is mostly elven, but the traces of her strange heritage sometimes surface.  Her eyes sometimes flicker with an internal flame when her emotions rage, her skin is hot to the touch, and she smells faintly of ashes and smoke even when far from her forge.  That is rarely noticed, however: most only see a pale elf, distracting in her beauty despite her rough work, with long black hair and an odd enchanted jewel she keeps constantly nearby. 

Personality:   Aesa bears the emotional scars of her abuse, is slow to trust or touch, but never meek; she is quick to stand up for herself or any others she sees needing a voice.  Unused to friends, those she does make are absolute.  She is good, but this is still new enough to her that she distrusts it.  She struggles with dark thoughts and still tends to let the ends justify the means: the law has done nothing for her, and she holds little respect for it. 

Hellfire Pendant: A small globe of pure flame wrapped in platinum filigree, the shard broken from Aesa's soul is hot to the touch.  Despite its obvious power she is able to make little use of it presently: but it radiates a comforting warmth.  (Casts Endure Elements 1/day) 

Story Trait: Subject of Study

Pockets

Badger, I'm assuming that you're taking the +1 HP option for favored class? It's the only way I can see you having 14 HP.
08/02 - New A/A Update

Chulanowa

Quote from: Pockets on April 09, 2015, 08:42:05 PM
I'll roll with it. I think they got that from third party source material though, because nothing I can find in Paizo stuff indicates anything like that.

Page 248 of the Advanced Race Guide has starting age tables; aasimar are apparently adults at 60, and then you add whatever from their class. Which is really weird, but that's what it says.

By hte way, interested. Perusing the options. I'm thinking a big meaty shoanti or a somewhat smaller, less meaty Varisian.