News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Thor Movie

Started by Brandon, July 30, 2010, 11:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Trailer

Thor - 5 Minute Trailer | Evolve

It was originally posted in finders and seekers but it seemed like people wanted to talk about the upcoming movie, myself included, and I figured I would post up a thread so we could discuss.

Now I dont come into this as a Marvel comics fan, in all honesty the only characters I really know of from the marvel universe is the X-men and to a lesser extent Spiderman. However as a fan of the Norse pantheon I find anything having to do with them interesting.

So there you go, take a look, share your thoughts and discuss to your hearts content.
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Wolfy

I wonder what the average, non-marvel fan thinks (Or will think) of Loki's horns when they see them..hmm...

Picture for Reference:

Callie Del Noire

Loki.. the Destroyer.. All sorts of fun coming :D
"Is it one of Starks?"

"I don't know, he never tells me anything..."

King_Furby

Never liked Thor even though he is one of the more powerful heroes. he is among those who can fight The Hulk and not die right away.

Brandon

Well I do consider myself a marvel fan, but my fandom is mostly geared toward the X-men. Before now about the only thing I knew of Marvels thor was he was the Norse god of thunder put into comic book life and what his costume looked like. The former being learned from my studies on Thor (and Norse mythology) and the later was something I remember from "Adventures in babysitting". A movie made in the 80s I think. On that note though, the thing I dislike about thors costume is the little silver orbs on the chest. 1 I could understand but as is they just dont seem to fit

That said, Vikings and their gods are often depicted with horned helmets and the larger those horns are seems to be a status symbol for how powerful the individual is. I think only the extremely underated Beowolf movie awhile back didnt follow that idea. As a helmet I think it looks fine but if it were just a band with huge curved horns on it (as depicted in some of the character art Ive seen) then I might get annoyed

While were on the topic of costumes, this makes me wonder about things. If the general public can accept the rainbow colored style of the viking gods in Marvels universe, will we still be able to accept ugly black rubber suits like the X-men wore in their movies or can we go back to good old yellow spandex and still take the film seriously (or as seriously as anyone could take a comic book movie) :P

Something else that annoyed me, in the movie Hiemdall is black. I mean WTF were they thinking? A pantheon thousands of years old and they choose to muck it up by putting in a token minority for one of the gods...am I the only one annoyed by that?
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Brandon on July 31, 2010, 06:28:24 PM
That said, Vikings and their gods are often depicted with horned helmets and the larger those horns are seems to be a status symbol for how powerful the individual is.

I believe that was created in the Victorian times. Historically, they helmets were hornless. If you think about it, the horns would catch a blow and direct it down towards the helmet, which is the last thing you'd want in a piece of armour.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Wolfy

Not really, Brandon..I mean, they are supposed to be Gods...as in "The Unseen"...so really, it makes just as much sense to have a Black Norse God as it does to listen to a burning bush. o3o

HairyHeretic

I wouldn't call the Aesir and Vanir unseen. A black Aesir does seem a rather PC inflicted decision though.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Wolfy

Well I meant that gods/goddesses are never seen by man (So far, anyway) so their appearence is usually based on imagining. Making one Black may be a PC decision, but still..it's still Valid, if strange.

Then again, this is also a Universe that gives us A Rampaging Green Giant who could probably destroy the universe if you pissed him off enough, sooo......

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Wolfy on August 01, 2010, 09:20:43 AM
Well I meant that gods/goddesses are never seen by man

I could debate that one with you, but we'd be getting into the metaphysical rather than movies :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Brandon

That depends on the religion/pantheon your talking about Wolfy. Greek, Aztec, Japanese, Norse, Voodoo, and egyption gods are all said to have been a large part of shaping the cultures they surround by activly participating in them. Some other gods, such as the Christian and catholic one work more through their agents in the form of Angels or Jesus (God's Scion)

That aside, heres Hiemdall as he appears in the comics

Know whos supposed to be playing Hiemdall in the movie? This guy, Idris Elba

Now what we saw with the Iron man and hulk movies was Marvel was trying hard to remain close to the source material, so why a black Hiemdall now? Not only does it go against the canon of Marvel's comics but also against canon from the poem that talks about the Norse mythology. It just seems like a PC move which annoys me. I mean if they have to have black characters in there then why not a Valkarie or some of the soldiers that appear in Asgard?

HairyHeretic

I think a black Valkyrie would be equally out of place.

Black Einherjar .. that's possible, I suppose.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Brandon

Quote from: HairyHeretic on August 01, 2010, 09:54:19 AM
I think a black Valkyrie would be equally out of place.

Black Einherjar .. that's possible, I suppose.

Maybe a Valkyrie would be out of place but I dont see any reason a new one couldnt have been given that title over the centuries.

Although yes Einherjar, the Aesir only care about claiming powerful warriors for Ragnarok. I dont think Ive ever seen anything to say they were picky beyond wanting brave and powerful warriors. They could be soldiers, thieves, terrorists or anything of the sort

HairyHeretic

Well, why would you pick someone who wasn't willing to fight for your cause? I can't see a thief or terrorist dying on a battlefield to start with (not in general at least), and then they have to be worthy of being chosen. Worth I would see as more than simply knowing which end of a sword to poke people with. I wouldn't want to be marching into battle beside someone I couldn't trust to give his all against the forces of chaos.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Brandon

Hmmm maybe Im mistaken then, granted its been awhile since I read the poem describing the Aesir and their mythology. I was under the impression that the Valkayies chose warriors who died in battle and proved themselves to be competant and brave. What constitutes battle can be pretty subjective though, for instance a shoot out in the street between the mob and police is still a battle. A lone man in Afganistan fighting against muslim extremists by using explosives and hit and run tactics is still fighting a battle.

Keep in mind Valhalla has one of the best visions of the afterlife too. A nice mead hall where one can live out his eternal life drinking and having fun. Who wouldnt want in on that?

HairyHeretic

Well, I can't remember offhand whether or not Einherjar is a choice. Given the vikings would have seen it as a great afterlife (some at least), I'd imagine they'd have no problems signing up. Freya got half, Odin got half, with Freya getting first pick. I've seen one reference (unfortunately I can't remember where now) that said Freya favoured those who died in defense of something, whereas Odin prefered those who were attacking.

Moving into the metaphysical, how would someone of a different belief system handle being offered entry into the Einherjar?  :D

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Brandon

Thats an interesting question but I think it largely depended on the individual. If it were me I think I would take them up on it. God could probably handle me fighting on their side as long as I wasnt fighting against him. He would want me to do good things, and I can think of few good things that are more epic in scope then helping people stand against annihilation

HairyHeretic

Well, given Ragnarok is supposed to be the forces of Chaos looking to destroy the world (all nine worlds?) I'm pretty sure fighting against that would count as being on the good side :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Heaven Sent Blossom

Idris Elba is pretty bad ass and I can't think of a reason beyond horrible, horrible racism* for him to not play a solid Hiemdall.
That Thor trailer looks pretty awesome, out of all the marvel movies of recent times this is the one I was worried about the most and after that trailer it's instantly jumped into my most anticipated spot. Good times.

*Internet humour alert!!!!