Interest Check - Pokken Academy - (OLD)

Started by ZephySempai, April 11, 2017, 12:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZephySempai

Working late on this tonight. Getting the Information thread together as we speak.

Quote from: lejosh on April 12, 2017, 08:24:47 PM
Finally done. Here is Alex, my wannabe breeder/researcher looking to start his journey.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Name: Alexander Regoranto

Sexual Preference: Heterosexual

Personality: Alex is a shy sort of kid. It is not that he doesn't like people, but he is not good with being surrounded by too many people. He enjoys working with Pokemon and while being taught in his home town he always enjoyed Pokemon as a whole, but the idea of researching Pokemon and caring for them is something that he loves more than he can describe. Alex is not the most confrontational person and much prefers to talk out issues that he has, but when pushed he is not afraid to push back and, like a cornered animal, will attack if threatened. He has a good heart and is always willing to offer aid and help to those in need.

Home Town: Pacifidlog Town

Starter Pokemon: Shinx

Background: Alex grew up and lived basically all of his life prior to coming to Pokken Academy in Pacifidlog Town. It is a place that very few people came from outside of the town to visit unless they have family or business there. As such, he lived quite a sheltered life and is not that great with new people. He went on a few holidays around the Hoenn and Sinnoh regions before, which is how he got his Pokemon Shinx. Alex applied to Pokken Academy in order to learn more about Pokemon and increase his knowledge of Pokemon from all around the world.

Best Experience With Pokemon: When Alex was 13 he and his family went on holidays to Jubilife City. One day when Alex was heading with a tour to Oreburgh city with a small group of people, they were attacked by a flock of Zubat. Just after the attack had started, a wild Shinx appeared and began to defend the people while they did their best to escape from the battle. Alex on the other hand, decided to stay behind and try to help the Shinx while the others escaped. The battle ended with the Zubat's being scared away by the electric type, but not before they were able to critically injure the little Shinx. Alex grabbed and carried the Shinx all the way to the Pokemon centre in order to heal it for all its help that it had given him and the group. The Pokemon centre knew that it was a wild Pokemon that had been seen within both Oreburgh and Jubilife Cities playing with children for a few years. It however, never realy stayed with just one person. However, seeing as it seemed to act favourably to Alex, they offered the Shinx to him and with a little effort convincing his parents, Alex had his first ever Pokemon.

Worst Experience With Pokemon: Pacifidlog town floats in the ocean due to the coral reefs that great herds of Corsola have made over many generation. Because of this, once a year there is a great Corsola migration which brings a lot of tourists to Pacifidlog Town. During the migration when Alex was only 12 he saw a young girl swimming who got caught in the coral of one Corsola and get dragged off away from the town. Alex jumped in to save the girl, catching up to her easily enough, but after freeing her, he himself got stuck with the girl who couldn't swim without her floaty that had popped. They were stuck in the coral that come off of the Corsola and stuck to a rock almost 2km away from town for 2 days before they were found by the towns people who were looking for them. Since them, Alex has had a dislike of Corsola and a very mild fear of them.

Other: Alex's dream is to one day own his own research lab to study, care for and breed Pokemon, learning about how they grow. He is especially interested in how Pokemon trainers influence the Pokemon and how those Pokemon will grow differently from wild or pet Pokemon who do not get the same sort of training that a trainers Pokemon do.

There's something so simple about him that makes me want to learn more. Its like, you're trying to make him come off as plain and simple, but it just makes me more attracted to what you're not telling me. TELL ME!! Actually, no. Show me. Show all of us. Accepted without hesitation. I can't wait to see what he brings to the table :D

Quote from: Diesel Heart on April 12, 2017, 08:49:40 PM
We've got more researcher aspiring characters than people wanting to be traditional Trainers lol.  Kinda of awesome, really.

LITERALLY why I made this RP. Anybody can do a "Let's go kick Team Skull's Ass!" type RP. Otherwise, just go play the game. I wanted to make something different. Something that looked deeper than just, Go here! Catch that! RARE CANDY! GYM BADGE! ELITE 4! RIVALS!!! When we actually get into the Roleplay I'll be able to really show the different concepts I'll let you guys experiment with and we'll see how far we can take this. But yeah,

@lejosh,

Its definitely something more than what the games offer. Been there. Done that. Let's try something new together :)

------

I'm putting together Dorm Assignments now. When I do the Opening IC post it will explain that your character has already received their Dorm & Room number, but not who they'll be staying with. I PROMISE the assignments are completely based off my twisted mind and it's random "I wonder what'll happen if I sit this next to that" train of thought. ALSO! If you're placed in a dorm by yourself don't worry. I'm reserving spots for other characters who might come into the game at a later time. As in real life, though, enjoy the solo space while you have it lol.

Edit: I'm not good at coding AT ALL or making things look pretty so don't expect anything amazingly formatted lol. Apologies in advance.

Rynn

Argh I'm so terribly torn on whether I should attempt to join this or not... One of my first group roleplays was a pokemon one and it was so horrible that I lost motivation to keep following the pokemon franchise ever since. x_x

To cave into curious nostalgia... or to stay away? In either case I should warn my pokeknowledge is severely outdated. xD

ZephySempai

Join us Rynn! We don't bite unless... ;)

Give us a chance. You might have a good time. So far it seems like a pretty lively and active group whose all here to have fun. Cave into the nostalgia...! DO IT! Just press that Like and Subscribe button XD

Relikai

Name: Greyen "Grey" Kuramochi

Sexual Preference: Straight

Personality: Looking quiet on the outside, one might think Grey to be an introvert, a selfish person who keeps to himself. Part of that is true, due to Grey's ambition to be a Pokemon Trainer, or at least be strong enough to impress Erika of Celadon, whom he possesses a fan-like crush on. In order to fulfill his goal, Grey often trains the Dratini which he rescued near the Celadon Pond, as well as himself to be a better trainer while keeping the welfare of his pokemon in his heart. Not obsessed with winning, Grey focuses on the art of training, combat tactics and pokemon fighting styles in order to gain an advantage in battle. As Erika prefers things which are beautiful, his style of combat is molded around that belief.

Home Town: Celadon City, Kanto

Starter Pokemon: Dratini (Zuroki)

Background: Born to a family of vets and commodity traders, Grey grew up learning about Pokemon and how to care about them, including Pokemon hardly found in the city. With many trainers frequenting Celadon in order to challenge the Gym Leader, Grey often found himself peddling potions and other Pokemon remedies for trainers defeated and victorious. His proximity with the Gym has given him a good view of the battles happening inside, including those involving Erika, who was a couple of years younger than the boy. It always amazed him how she could guide her Pokemon with such strength and power, with a form of grace behind her every command.

When he was twenty, Grey was returning from the forest where he collected herbs for his family, when he saw a stray Dratini lying near the Celadon Pond. It would surface later that the Pokemon was redeemed and freed by a Pokemon Welfare Group, but the captive dragon found itself on land after it failed to catch prey. Carrying the creature back home, Grey managed to nurse it back to health after being Wrapped many times, his ribs still sore to this day from the recuperation process. It was soon obvious that the Dratini would end up as Grey's Pokemon, as it needed a trainer to guide it back to its ways after spending years in captivity.

On his twenty-third birthday, Grey received a notification that he would be attending Pokken Academy. However, his greatest present was a flower from Erika's own garden, the Gym Leader herself taking some time off her afternoon nap to send him off with her entourage. His services at the Gym, providing encouragement to trainers seeking to progress in their walk, as well as being a fan of Erika, would be missed in Celadon City.

Best Experience With Pokemon: Dratini learning Thunder Wave, although it paralysed Grey for a full five minutes.

Worst Experience With Pokemon: While tending to plants one day, Grey looked up to see a low-level flock of Pidgeys, only to be pelted by bird-droppings as a reward.

Other:
Big fan of Erika (Celadon Gym Leader)

JoanieSappho

I missed my computer. And internet. And bed. Mmm, bed ...
Got sheet roughly done, I hope, will go pass out now.
(Also, regarding the Team Rocket/Skull thing, I'm not sure how many of you have seen this video, but this is what always comes to mind with those two;

Character

Name: Shizu Katsura

Sexual Preference: Uncertainly Bisexual

Personality: Clearly intelligent and curious in the extreme, Shizu has a rather noticeable lack of tact or restraint. If she finds something interesting she will observe it, no matter how inappropriate the subject matter is, and the concept of personal boundaries or space is rather ... different in her eyes. While very possessive when dealing with those she considers to be outsiders and unwilling to disturb their areas or belongings, the opposite is true for those she considers to be 'hers', especially her Zangoose who rarely seems to be in a pokeball and seems to be very close to Shizu.
Shizu's usual behaviour around other people (and pokemon, which she views as mostly the same thing) is mostly a slightly wary curiosity, while friendliness is met with warmth and innocent hugs and physically displays of affection. Hostility, on the other hand, typically causes her to fall back on the instincts picked up from the Zangoose and, if pushed, she has the potential of being quite vicious.

Home Town: Fuchsia City/Safari Zone, Kanto

Starter Pokemon: Zangoose (Kagami)

Background: The only daughter of a rather infamous pokemon research, Shizu happens to be the reason for most of her mother's notoriety. From the age of six the girl was, more or less, left to fend for herself with only pokemon to interact with as part of a highly questionable experiment related to the natures of humans and pokemon. It's not known just how long this experiment was suppose to continue for as it ended quite abruptly when Shizu was fifteen.
Her time alone with pokemon had shown that certain pokemon were willing to accept young humans into their groups and care for them, fortunately for Shizu, and she ended up being adopted by a small pack of Zangoose, Shizu lack of strength relative to the pokemon offset by her natural human intelligence.
While, for obvious reasons, leaving a child out to be raised by pokemon was widely condemned, the experiment did gather some interesting information before it was shut down, and has furthered or cast serious doubts upon several theories regarding very early human-pokemon interactions.

While most of the Zangoose were - reluctantly - willing to allow Shizu to be taken from them without incident, one young female and Shizu were quite adamant that they not be separated and, considering their long familiarity, that Zangoose was permitted to stay with Shizu. She technically has a pokeball for Kagami, as Shizu later named her close friend, but has not actually used it yet and she shows no intention of ever doing so.

Educated after her long absence from human society, Shizu quickly displayed a strong, keen mind, absorbing and understanding surprisingly complex matters in only a short amount of time.
With her rather unique knowledge of pokemon and her curiosity and intelligence, it came as little surprise when she decided that she wanted to study such matters in more depth. Hopefully without the whole child abandonment thing.

Best Experience With Pokemon: The precise details of the situation have not been entirely remembered, but Shizu still recalls the first night the Zangoose truly accepted her into their group, and the remembered feeling of being the centerpiece of a surprisingly cuddly mass of sleepy Zangoose - all of whom she would grow to consider family - is still one of her warmest memories.

Worst Experience With Pokemon: While the Zangoose - Seviper feud is infamous and well known, the introduction of Zangoose into other areas provoked several other, less documented skirmishes. One notable encounter was when a small foraging group consisting of the (at the time) ten year old Shizu and three Zangoose strayed into the territory claimed by a nest of Ekans and an old Arbok. While the Ekans were little match for the Zangoose, the Arbok attempted to attack Shizu (to be fair, she had just hit a couple of its children with a stick) and the experience has left the girl absolutely terrified of Arbok in specific and the majority of serpentine pokemon in general.

Other: While she has learned that it is not considered at all acceptable (although she cannot understand why), Shizu is quite careful to hide just how close she and Kagami are, the human and pokemon viewing each other as somewhere between sisters and lovers, although both are new to such feelings and haven't explored them much.

Metraxa

Excellent. Another character for Aiden to take a picture of because of the compelling power of cuteness

pdragon

Did you know that Arbok spelled backwards is Snake?
What a thrill...with silence and darkness through the night....

Request Thread

Relikai

Quote from: pdragon on April 13, 2017, 10:01:05 AM

Kobra you mean :P

And Ekans is Snake  8-)

pdragon

Quote from: Relikai on April 13, 2017, 10:05:43 AM
Kobra you mean :P

And Ekans is Snake  8-)
No, Ekans is Kobra. I mean come on dude it's spelled out right in front of you, learn to read.  :P

Request Thread

JoanieSappho

Quote from: pdragon on April 13, 2017, 10:01:05 AM
And then there was Muk everywhere. Again.

Incidentally, did you know that Muk spelled ...  :P

pdragon

Quote from: JoanieSappho on April 13, 2017, 12:06:30 PM
And then there was Muk everywhere. Again.

Incidentally, did you know that Muk spelled ...  :P

Oh yeah I know what're your talking about  :P

Muk spelled backwards reads "lazy character design"

IT'S A PUDDLE OF SLUDGE! I DON'T WANT TO HEAR YOU COMPLAIN ABOUT THE KEY RING!

Request Thread

Bekah Boo

Ooooo random dork assignment huh? Should be interesting ;3
Hope whoever is stuck with Zoey is prepared for her sugar rushes and a ghastly who doesn't understand personal space XD

Rynn

Quote from: Bekah Boo on April 13, 2017, 12:46:43 PM
Ooooo random dork assignment huh? Should be interesting ;3
Hope whoever is stuck with Zoey is prepared for her sugar rushes and a ghastly who doesn't understand personal space XD
Ooooh, that's interesting! Though I'm sure the dork will adapt, they generally tend to be pretty easy going people. :P

Bekah Boo

Quote from: Rynn on April 13, 2017, 12:55:58 PM
Ooooh, that's interesting! Though I'm sure the dork will adapt, they generally tend to be pretty easy going people. :P

Hahaha oh the irony considering how much of a 'dorm' Zoey can be XD

JoanieSappho

Also, re: Pokesnuggles. It won't actually be turning up onscreen, so to speak, until it actually becomes relevant to what's going on, so it's not going to be explicitly turning up much.
If I get in, I mean. That's gonna be an issue.  :P

Rynn

Ah what the hell, my interest is piqued. I'll write something up. XD

On that note, I kind of want to bring something up for the sake of keeping the discussion rolling in here. I've messaged our wonderful GM regarding an idea to lower the number of pokemon you can carry count to 3 instead of the traditional 6. While I know this deviates from the game and lore, I personally think it's a worthwhile alteration to make for several reasons;

1) Cooperation: Since this is a group roleplay, I figure that cooperation and collaboration between the characters is a key component of the roleplay. Having six pokemon however allows people to have an accessible superpower for each, multiply that by 4 if the moveset thing is followed. Need to get to a high place? Travel over water? Sniff out something fishy? Light in dark places? Just call a pokemon out and it's all kay. Limiting pokemon to three encourages better choices and people to work together.

2) Relevancy: It's all good in the game (and to a degree anime) for a protagonist to have six pokemon, but if we have ten players and each has 6 pokemon... that's 60 pokemon. Nothing wrong with that many pokemon in a pokemon roleplay, but with each additional pokemon added the significance of the others declines. Using Bekah's Zoey for an example, the relationship between Ghastly and Zoey really help develop and express the character, whereas 5 more would subsequently retract the time spent in the limelight, hence less importance. I suppose we could do the pikachu thing we're one pokemon matters and the rest are mob characters though.

3) Easier to keep track off... okay not really a reason, I just felt I needed another point since I said I have a "several reasons."

The final decision is obviously up to our lovely GM, and the response I've gotten from them is that they're "Thinking about it." So this is more a open question to see what others think. I just think people would like to know something like this now, rather than having it dropped on them mid-roleplay. And... I'll admit, I want stuff to read while I busily work on a character.

Snake

I'd like to say that Kenji's powers do come at a cost.

Telepathy is one target only and requires concentration (in which other abilities can't be used); His fire powers are rather basic too; I'm putting a hard limit on the actual attack abilities, namely a sort of "lesser flamethrower" ability which is just a burst of flames in a single direction. (which can be held as a concentrated ability)

Without actual materials nearby or on hand; the fire powers are quite taxing, akin to trying lift an empty bookcase.  A loophole is that with flammable materials on hand it becomes much easier (cuz he's only creating the ignition which consumes teh fuel as compared to constantly producing the necessary energy)

Diesel Heart

Quote from: Rynn on April 13, 2017, 02:10:47 PM
Ah what the hell, my interest is piqued. I'll write something up. XD

On that note, I kind of want to bring something up for the sake of keeping the discussion rolling in here. I've messaged our wonderful GM regarding an idea to lower the number of pokemon you can carry count to 3 instead of the traditional 6. While I know this deviates from the game and lore, I personally think it's a worthwhile alteration to make for several reasons;

1) Cooperation: Since this is a group roleplay, I figure that cooperation and collaboration between the characters is a key component of the roleplay. Having six pokemon however allows people to have an accessible superpower for each, multiply that by 4 if the moveset thing is followed. Need to get to a high place? Travel over water? Sniff out something fishy? Light in dark places? Just call a pokemon out and it's all kay. Limiting pokemon to three encourages better choices and people to work together.

2) Relevancy: It's all good in the game (and to a degree anime) for a protagonist to have six pokemon, but if we have ten players and each has 6 pokemon... that's 60 pokemon. Nothing wrong with that many pokemon in a pokemon roleplay, but with each additional pokemon added the significance of the others declines. Using Bekah's Zoey for an example, the relationship between Ghastly and Zoey really help develop and express the character, whereas 5 more would subsequently retract the time spent in the limelight, hence less importance. I suppose we could do the pikachu thing we're one pokemon matters and the rest are mob characters though.

3) Easier to keep track off... okay not really a reason, I just felt I needed another point since I said I have a "several reasons."

The final decision is obviously up to our lovely GM, and the response I've gotten from them is that they're "Thinking about it." So this is more a open question to see what others think. I just think people would like to know something like this now, rather than having it dropped on them mid-roleplay. And... I'll admit, I want stuff to read while I busily work on a character.

When it comes to group oriented things like this, I'm always an advocate for cooperation.  I think this is a pretty awesome idea and I don't think it's truly restrictive when you factor in the ability to store other Pokem...

How the hell do they make physical matter into digital information to store them into a PC?!?!

Rynn

Quote from: Diesel Heart on April 13, 2017, 02:22:50 PM
When it comes to group oriented things like this, I'm always an advocate for cooperation.  I think this is a pretty awesome idea and I don't think it's truly restrictive when you factor in the ability to store other Pokem...

How the hell do they make physical matter into digital information to store them into a PC?!?!
Pokemon are secretly Digimon? I dunno? :P Thanks for your opinion though <3

Another thing on the relevance thing. I sort of think catching a pokemon should be a pretty big deal. I mean sure Pokeballs are cheaper than a cup of coffee, and pokemon roam the planet like a cockroach roams a food court. But I think lowering the number again builds the scene more than six. Which would essentially be "Throw Pokeball, Caught it, Store it for later"

JoanieSappho

To be honest, I always liked the anime's approach, where excess pokemon were teleported away to a suitable location (Ash's to Oak's lab, I think on of the later rivals had an older brother who was a breeder and looked after his, etc)
And, I definitely agree. Three allows for a tighter focus and more characterization of the pokemon and while it's enough to give each trainer some options, it's not as bad as six is for letting one person do most of the things on their own.

la dame en noir

WIP

Name: Evangeline Beaux

Sexual Preference: Lesbian

Personality: A friendly face during a dreary day. A positive voice when things get low. And a friend who will always be honest, no matter what. That sums up Evangeline nicely. In depth, she's a go-getter, an ambitious woman who won't let trivial things get in the way of her greatness. She is confident in her abilities as a trainer, a friend, and striving for something greater than most people would dream about. Some might find this to be cocky, arrogant, or annoying - but thats further from the truth. Like everyone else, she has quite a few ups and downs. Evangeline can be stubborn, doing things that may not be obtainable, and in the end - it hurts her. At times she can be too outspoken, but it is a trait that she is willing to deal with - as long as it doesn't get her into too much trouble.

Home Town: Kalos

Starter Pokemon:

Background: (Brief history of your character)

Best Experience With Pokemon: (What are some of the good things your character has experienced dealing with Pokemon?)

Worst Experience With Pokemon: (What are some of the bad things your character has experienced dealing with Pokemon?)

Other: (Any other tidbits you'd like to add)
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Batman4560

la dame en noir

Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Diesel Heart

Quote from: Batman4560 on April 13, 2017, 03:32:04 PM
I swear I'm gonna throw pokeballs at people!

that's closer to my job, mr anti-team rocket

Rynn

I don't really want to preempt anything, but I have to admit I'm extremely surprised to see that there isn't a ridiculous influx of Riolu's and the even more heinous..... Eevee's.  :P