NEBULA HIGH - Super Powered High School! (Reboot - Closed for Now)

Started by LunarSage, January 11, 2013, 07:14:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jefepato

Quote from: LunarSage on January 14, 2013, 11:51:00 AM
In general, I was under the assumption that objects created were created instantly, with a limit on mass that we should discuss.  Maybe a couple tons or so?

Can we just say that there's some sort of force (perhaps divine) that prevents him from creating illicit substances or prevents such creations from existing long enough to be used?

They do happen instantly, when he's finished speaking.  It is possible that the actual speaking could take a while, though.  As noted: size/mass, complexity, and distance all increase difficulty.  Presumably, speed (if created in motion) does as well, and making multiple objects (especially if dissimilar or not at least conceptually grouped).  Longer and more precise phrasing helps to some extent, but there are presumably limits he just can't surpass yet.  (I am not trying to hide behind the fact that "it takes a long time" is less arduous a limitation when I'm writing than it would be to actually describe an object you want for five hours straight.)

So let's say if he might be able to create an object weighing a ton or two, it would have to be fairly uniform (like a big rock), pretty much within arm's reach, and not already moving (probably it should have to be on solid ground too).  But he could pretty easily yell "Baseball!" and have it be flying at someone pretty damned fast, and most likely a deck of cards is easy enough.  A fruit basket is...well, it obviously isn't gamebreaking but it would either take a while or he'd probably screw it up (whoops, all apples or it tastes funny).  I'm going to assume that very large numbers of objects are hard even if they're small/simple because shouting a violent sandstorm at someone could get really broken.

There should probably be a hard minimum on how long it takes to make a permanent/real object, even if it's simple and no one would care.  I mean, I don't think it should take an hour to make a real true apple, but the power needs to be in check somehow.  (It is intentional that it might well be a hell of a lot faster than making an object by hand, but still.)  I'm guessing he's supposed to ask someone before doing anything even slightly questionable.

I'm okay with just, say, going with the idea that Tommy's dad is capable of somehow investigating if Tommy's been doing anything he really shouldn't.  And Tommy knows this, and probably doesn't know how it works or how to evade it.  So nothing a moderately stern father would kick his ass for, which probably covers most serious abuses anyway.  (It's possible he is occasionally in touch to make sure that dangerous-sounding objects are things the teachers already know about, i.e. that Tommy is only doing that stuff under supervision.)

Tenjin was, incidentally, known as a god of natural disasters before the scholarship thing eclipsed that in the general view of him.  Presumably he would not actually strike his son with lightning, but it's the kind of thing that makes you respect the guy's potential anger.

LunarSage

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Jefepato

Cool.  Uh, sorry, can I get some specific feedback on what you think the minimum time for a permanent creation should be?  I'm not sure what scale is appropriate here.

LunarSage

Say like ten to fifteen seconds?  That's longer than you think.

Jefepato

I'm strangely comfortable with that.

Of course that's a lot of space for description, but I'm probably going to have a lot of fun Googling language ideas.  (I presume that footnotes would be a wise choice so people don't have to follow me around the Internet to get the joke.)

ebpohmr

Quote from: Josietta on January 14, 2013, 11:54:34 AM

So what you are saying is that you have a limited spectrum of telekinesis?   I'm not sure its even necessary to mention things he could "Theoretically do" but in actuality not accomplish. Its like saying I could jump from a plane without a parachute but i'd likely die from the impact.   Making theoretical comments just confuses people further, even if I get what you are saying -- others may not.

So in layman's terms, he has telekinetic powers that allow him to shift the kinetic energy of one object into another therefore allowing him to run an otherwise electrical fan through kinetic energy taken from a windmills motion?  So this means the higher amount kinetic energy around him means the higher level of output he gets? Is that what you are saying?

Yeah sorry, I wrote it like a technical report and got trapped in the mindset... Essentially, his power is telekinesis but I got caught up in trying to make a sensible/physics mechanic. If it will make it easier, I'm happy to just rewrite it as more traditional telekinesis - limited by the amount of energy from his body that he can provide to the effect. If he uses too much energy, his body enters a state of hypoglycaemic shock as it can't give up any more energy without first metabolising fat. The minor ability would change so that he can affect himself with his own TK - allowing him to fly.

Is this version better?

LunarSage

Quote from: ebpohmr on January 14, 2013, 09:26:09 PM
Yeah sorry, I wrote it like a technical report and got trapped in the mindset... Essentially, his power is telekinesis but I got caught up in trying to make a sensible/physics mechanic. If it will make it easier, I'm happy to just rewrite it as more traditional telekinesis - limited by the amount of energy from his body that he can provide to the effect. If he uses too much energy, his body enters a state of hypoglycaemic shock as it can't give up any more energy without first metabolising fat. The minor ability would change so that he can affect himself with his own TK - allowing him to fly.

Is this version better?

That's better, yes.  I just need to be able to wrap my head around it heh. 

Pop in a rewrite for that in your sheet and you're approved.  I'll get your sheet up once you've edited it.  :-)

ebpohmr

Quote from: LunarSage on January 15, 2013, 06:41:29 AM
That's better, yes.  I just need to be able to wrap my head around it heh. 

Pop in a rewrite for that in your sheet and you're approved.  I'll get your sheet up once you've edited it.  :-)

I have edited the descriptions for the major and minor powers on the sheet. Let me know if the new version is okay and sorry for causing so much confusion!

ShadowFox89

LunarSage, I'd be interested in writing up Tess's grandfather as an NPC. Or possibly even a teacher, though I'm not sure how the hero staff would take to  a retired supervillain wishing to teach.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

LunarSage

Quote from: ebpohmr on January 15, 2013, 01:46:29 PM
I have edited the descriptions for the major and minor powers on the sheet. Let me know if the new version is okay and sorry for causing so much confusion!

No worries.  You are approved and on the sheet thread.  :-)

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on January 15, 2013, 01:49:39 PM
LunarSage, I'd be interested in writing up Tess's grandfather as an NPC. Or possibly even a teacher, though I'm not sure how the hero staff would take to  a retired supervillain wishing to teach.

That depends... retired as in retired or as in retired and reformed?

ShadowFox89

Retired and reformed, or at least he claims to be. He's basically told people he just wants to live out the rest of his years in peace with his family.

His two main powers are electrical manipulation and being able to heal himself by draining electricity, including restoring his youth. Which means "rest of his years" is "as long as he has a reliable power source."
Call me Shadow
My A/A

CurvyKitten

Yaay for all the new characters, I would love to try and work out some character background links with some of them.

I have Lara Avery and Alice Pleasance Liddell and a teacher in the making I will link here as well when she gets approved. So please check out the girls and let me know if any of you would like to work out some links for rp goodness. :)

Ciosa

Lara Avery sounds like she could get along well with Connor... 

If you're interested, send me a PM!

kingmaster1

I'd also like to say that Jet is open to any relationships someone might be interested in, just pm me and we could work something out

LunarSage

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on January 15, 2013, 02:58:15 PM
Retired and reformed, or at least he claims to be. He's basically told people he just wants to live out the rest of his years in peace with his family.

His two main powers are electrical manipulation and being able to heal himself by draining electricity, including restoring his youth. Which means "rest of his years" is "as long as he has a reliable power source."

Write up a sheet and we'll go from there.

ebpohmr

John Paul has spent the past 2 years at Nebula High, so there is plenty of room for forming friendships/rivalries/romances/team-mates with other characters! PM me if you have an idea, or are interested in a connection but would like me to suggest some connection ideas! ;)

Major Major

Uh; dumb question I know, but was I 'in' for this? And if so, where can I find the pages?

LunarSage

Quote from: Major Major on January 25, 2013, 12:40:33 AM
Uh; dumb question I know, but was I 'in' for this? And if so, where can I find the pages?

Heya MM... you're certainly welcome to play.  The OOC thread is here and it has all the IC thread links on page one.

You should know though that the only GM of the game at this point is Josietta and she won't be taking as active a role and she and I once did.  Stress got the best of the both of us and I dropped (as did a few players)... but there are those who are staying and continuing to play as far as I know.  If you want to know the whole story, it can be read in the last few pages of the OOC.