Name :  Michael Austin   
Role :  Doctor
Height :  6’ 1”
Weight : 178
Body Type : Fit
Hair Color/Style : dirty blonde / short and combed back
Other features :  Green eyes, Glasses

Details

Personality :    Very open and friendly person.  Always puts others needs over his own.  In his professional setting he is outgoing always putting the care of his patients first.  In his personal life he is very quiet, and to some extent his professional career has sucked the life out of any personal life he may have.  He often will work himself until only exhaustion is left.  He is very lonely and has resorted to writing to bring a spark of passion back into his life. 

Character Background:   Being a doctor and helping others is all he ever wanted to do.  Growing up in a small town, he always wanted a practice that put people first not simply to herd them in and get them out.  He sees each of his patients himself and takes the time to talk to them.    His parents were very supportive of his life ambition which is likely a huge contributor to his successful practice at his age.     

“There is no greater sorrow than to be mindful of the happy time in misery.”  - Dante Alighieri

Misery

Finally arriving home, Michael throws the keys recklessly on the bar before making himself a gin and tonic.  With his first sip his body immediately begins the slow process of relaxing.  Today had been especially hard.  With the flu season in full swing his office was full of people needing his care.  Follow a full day there then to head to the hospital to check on each of his half a dozen patients there.  He cares greatly for each of them and spends a considerable amount of time just talking or holding their hand if needed.

Taking another sip of his drink, he sits down to the computer to begin reviewing charts of his more ill patients.  As he stares at the screen he rubs the haziness from his eyes.  Unable to concentrate any further on others, he decides to surf the Internet.  First things first, checking out his membership at the dating site, he was a let down by the fact there was no messages for him.  Taking a long draw on his gin until the ice are resting lightly against his upper lip.   Michael decides another drink is in order, and quickly makes a second, stronger gin and tonic.  Feeling a little depressed he begins driving aimlessly through the Internet not looking for anything particular but simply creating a distraction from his loneliness. 

Finishing his second drink of the evening, he calls begins to call it an evening.  Catching his eye was a site that catered to writers and storytellers of the adult nature.  He enjoyed writing immensely when he was in college.  Writing at one point could have been a career had his medical career fallen through.  He clicked on the link and read excitedly more about the site.  Deciding to test the waters he posted a small short story about a dancing maiden under the name kNighted.   As he wrote the story his loneliness had been forgotten and his depression gone. 
“There is no greater sorrow than to be mindful of the happy time in misery.”  - Dante Alighieri

Shia

And for many other people as well this blooming site meant a cheerful-joyful shelter against the attacks of everyday life and soon there was a comment on his story, only an hour later. It must have been somebody in the same time zone... then her profile prooved his suspects.
- 'AlienFriend' even lived in the same town as he did!
No info about her age though, nor an MSN contact or an e-mail.
Just a few kind lines under the last sentence of his story, the number of her posts above two thousand!

'Dear kNighted - began the short but sweet post. 'I really found your story nice and charming. I wish myself to be that dancing maiden :) *winks* I'd be happy to co-write with you if you feel like that. I haven't got a list of plots but I'm rather open to write any great adventure until it stays withing the borders of sanity and good mood. PM me if interested.
And welcome to Luxury of The Heart.
*curtsies and smiles*
Alien'

A cute grass-green UFO-girl smiling at Michael as her avatar, just like she was waiting for his answer...
:)

Misery

His day could not end fast enough.  He was more anxious than he expected to see what others thought of his story.  He was hoping for more responses than he has been getting from the dating services.  Arriving home the sun just barely seen over the roof of his condo.  Walking in the door he throws his keys onto the bar and quickly makes himself a gin and tonic.  Sitting down he pulls up the Luxury of the Heart site and immediately his eye are captured by the beautiful green UFO girl avatar .  He quickly reads her comments.  He captures her name, whispering it to himself several times, "Alien".   

He slowly read her comments a second time, letting each word roll of his tongue.  Looking over her writing statistics he can tell she has been writing for some time and obviously enjoys it.  His mind begins to wander thinking of everyone he knows and wondering.  She is so close but so little clues  to who she really is.

Smiling he sits back thinking of an appropriate reply to send to her.  After finishing his gin and tonic he begins to type.  Alien...Thank you for the wonderful comments.  It was my first story and really anxious to see what others thought.  I would love to do a story with you.  I think I can manage some sane story.  Would you care to do a story that follows your namesake?  Something related with aliens by chance?    I hope to hear from you.   kNighted

Pressing send Michael began to think more about who she was and what kind of story would be appropriate for his first partner.  Unable to recall a time when he was this excited he grabbed another drink to calm himself down. 

Finishing for the evening he shuts the computer down and crawls into bed.  His last thought before drifting to sleep was if she would write.

Shia

Another PM came. Again almost at the same time as he logged in. The same laconic kindness.

'UFOs! Wow! *smiles and winks playfully* Okay then, let's place our romance up in the skies ;) Or would you like to write a human male/alien female pairing?... I'm open, so...
Wishing you a pleasant time.
*hugs*
Alien'

The nursing wing of the city's largest hospital was the same quiet and torturingly peaceful, except the raised voice of a nurse filtering out from Patient room 55, one of the closest to the receptionist's desk.
"This is the last time I tell you!... Turn off the computer, please!... I'll call a doctor if you..." etc.
The busy stirring of mornings here only meant more tasks and more tray rolled along the almost empty corridors but that was all. Numb noises, coughs and turned up television sets, mingling with the marring scent of disinfectants... Actually there wasn't much difference between this unit and the one in the basement -the one that had the least of windows and living patients...- except some mushy paintings and sheets with the dates of sermons of all sorts of religions.
Then the room's door closed again with a medium loud 'bang' and a very upset reddish nurse returning behind the counter, rubbing her face like she was the only victim on this beautiful planet...
"I give up..." - she hissed to the piles of papers and grabbing one she tried to make herself useful.
And much more successful than she was a few minutes ago, dealing with a seemingly very tough patient...

Misery

Getting an early start, Micheal checks his account and sees that she had replied to his post almost immediately.  Impressed he quickly opens the message and begins reading.  As he reads a smile leaps to his face.  Oh human / alien female how interesting he thinks. 

Alien      human male / female alien would indeed sound very interesting.  I am a virgin to this writing process so please bear with me if I have questions as we go along.     Would the female have kidnapped the male for some purpose?   I look forward to your reply.     kNighted 

Finishing his post he signs off and heads to the hospital to make some early morning rounds.

Standing at the nurses station going through his patients charts he hears the commotion from down the hall.  A perplexed look crosses his face when he sees a very frustrated nurse come storming out of a room and sits down in front of him.  He asks, "Is everything okay?  I could not help but over hear pieces of your conversation from here and is there anything I can do to help?  Would you like me to talk to your patient"    While the patient was not one of his, maybe he could intervene a little to arbitrate for some peace. 

Shia

It was hard to decide whether it was her fiery curls or plump cheeks that became more reddish once Michael offered his help and expressed his kind willingness to intervene. Crab-red, actually... Maybe it was more or less an abandoned island within the hospital, yes - but they were proud as well. Proud enough to try to scare fellow doctors away, doctors that didn't belong there, nor their professionalism. It was not a place of dying people but of dying humanity, after all.
"Excuse me, but who are you exactly, doctor...?"
Almost as soon as her lips finished forming this question another sharp noise started to filter out from the same room again. This time the program of a classical music channel - approximately with triple volume.
"I'm sure we can handle our patients.. just like you yours.. hopefully..." - the middle-aged woman striked back through the storm and frustrated she left her post again to check on this dogged habitant of the unit...

...Leaving all the charts on the counter at Michael's mercy. At the top of No.55's there was a name written with a pinkish glittering marker, all the capital letters formed awkwardly but still readable:
ALLIE
The below the official anamnesis.
Name: Alliana Stewart
Diagnose: ...

Well, it was tempting to pull out the chart and get to know more about her, especially that measuring it from her age she could be the youngest citizen of this valley of shadows, somebody who shouldn't be here, really shouldn't.

Misery

Michael was a bit taken aback at the response, "I apolgize, was only offering what assistance I could provide."  Turning his attention back to his own patient charts. Flipping through the charts he hears the incredibly loud music and smiles as the nurse jumps to take care of her next incident. 

Noticing that the chart was left sitting there, "Well Allie, lets take a peak at what we have here."   Leafing through the pages of her chart, Alliana was her real name and younger than he would have expected being in this part of the hospital for more difficult or longer term cases.  From her chart he tell from the number and notes that she was bed ridden but to the exact cause was a mystery.   

One to not let a mystery pass him by, he walks down the silent halls his heels echo announcing his coming.  Stopping by door numbered 55 but does not immediately step in but peers around the door to see the nurse flustered trying to get Alliana to quiet down.  His eyes finally settle Alliana his breath leaves his lips in a fast rush, "Oh my."

Shia

Though she was thin as an icicle and her whole body was contorted in a more than weird posture -her head and one of her hands supported by pillows- still her warm brown eyes were radiating such strength like she was an empress or perhaps Janne d'Arc herself! Also she was fighting like the latter one against this witch dressed as a nurse, at least as much as he could see it from behind her laptop that was set on a movable stand close to her bed. She was somewhere halfway between sitting and lying but her voice was definitely a raised one - hardly understandable, it rather reminded of random moans and growls which immediately made Michael recognise: whatever her disease was it harmed her neural system more than much.
"L iv mmm yu bi ch!" Allie's lips were struggling with expressing a proper upset curse, her face in a distorted grimace, her nape lifting time to time as she strained to defeat her, now that Verdi was gone.
- They didn't even notice he entered...

Misery

After watching for just a few moments Michael slides into her room quietly. Just as he is upon the nurse he quickly says, "I am sorry to intrude but I really think I can help."   Before she had a chance to give him another speech he takes a seat next to Alliana.  "Alliana or do you prefer Allie?  My name is Dr. Austin but you may call me Michael."  As he speaks he watches her eyes, the life that sits behind those eyes he knows is amazing full of thoughts and ideas.  "I would like to help you if I may.   Are you comfortable with me helping you?"   He looks to the nurse with a look of dismissal in his eyes.

"So tell me a little about yourself."  As she gets ready to speak he takes out a small notebook and pen.  Before she speaks he is already writing some ideas on the paper.  He will talk to her Doctor to compare notes and some thoughts.

Shia

So the witch was gone - placing the remote control elsewhere, in an incredible distance: at the top of the chest of drawers in front of the wall, behind Michael's back. So no hope. No more Verdi for today...
But good ol' Tube was still there and turning her head towards the visitor, carefully taking the electronic pen in her mouth again -until now it was resting next to her laptop- she quickly navigated herself on the site and chose to listen to the same masterwork that was just quit by the nurse-disguised monster.
Dr. Austin or Michael or whoever he was was completely ignored, she rather faced the window, with closed eyes she was drinking in every little note, every little pause, every change in pace, her features more relaxed now, revealing some of her once existing beauty, her straight dark brown hair framing it nicely, even if it was put together in a halfly destroyed ponytail. 

Was she grateful for his generous help?... Was she disturbed by his presence?... Was she.. happy with him being around?...
It seemed she had the same bitter experience in connection with doctors as she had with caretakers. And it seemed she became a wizard of 'visible disappearance'...

Misery

He took in the exchange between the nurse and Alliana with great interest.  He picked up remote control and placed it within her reach.  Unused to being so ignored, he simply took a seat in the corner and watched as she set to playing some wonderful music.  Rather than comment he sat there and simply listened to the music and watched her.  There was such beauty there just needing to be let out.   After sitting there for what seemed to be a very long time, he checked his watch and realized his time here was up and the rest of his day needed to be started.

"Alliana, it was a pleasure to meet you.  Your music is wonderful.  I would very much like to come back tomorrow and listen to some of your other music."   Not sure if he expected an answer or not, but he watched her closely.   He walks to the door and slowly exits, guiding the door to a silent closure.

Shia

But before the day ended Doctor Michael Austin got an SMS from an unknown number. No hint, not even a call before from the same person - then how could that somebody know his number and dare to disturb at such a late hour?...
Anyway, those lines were laconic yet so charmingly kind.
SORRY.JUST THOUGHT U ARE A BASTARD TOO LIKE OTHER WHITE CAPED ONES.I WAS WRONG.NICE TO MEET U KNIGHT RIDER.GOOD NIGHT.ALLIE

Misery

Entering through his nightly ritual he makes himself a drink and prepares to turn on the computer to check his writing site.  His cell vibrates telling him an incoming message has arrived.  Reading it several times he smiles and laughs lightly remembering Allie from this morning, A bastard huh? I guess in the morning I will have to work harder.   A perplexed look crosses his face and he whispers, "Knight Rider, what is that supposed to mean?"  Sitting there staring at his computer, a flicker of a thought strikes him.  Would she be Alien' he wonders.  He types out a short, professional reply, "Good Night Alliana, it was a pleasure to meet you today."  his mind spinning still unsure what she meant.

As he contemplates her meaning further, he begins to log into the writing site.   He takes a long draw on his drink to help clear the confusion bouncing through his mind.  If it was her, maybe she will give him a clue. 

Shia

But this 'Allie' here was the same, usual energetic and joking just like yesterday and the day before yesterday, nothing special that would have referred to the other one he met in the hospital, pale and beautiful.

'Hey there :),

Noooo, I don't think it's a kidnap-story, at least kidnapping is really not my style *winks and pats your shoulder playfully*. I think it's rather... maybe a chance meeting while he's out somewhere as an expert, in a forest or maybe at one of the two poles of Earth... How do you like this?...'

No signature. So this time she planned to stay longer...?

Misery

Noticing that a message shows up and the time shows it is current.  There is nothing in the messages indicating anything other than another fan of writing.  oh well, maybe I am pulling to many things together.    Setting the drink down he rubs his soft hands together and prepares to reply. 

Alien'    :-)  I am not sure my character would be very good at being a captive.     I really like your idea of the chance meeting and some place without much in the way of others.    How about the South pole?  Very remote and desolate, it may add a more surreal tone to their meeting.   I am also thinking he has been out there alone maintaining this one lone facility for a long time. 

Your writing partner 
kNighted   

Shia

Wow! :) Now I see why you've ended up here *chuckles and applauds* My friend, you have a very vivid fantasy, to say so - I can almost see the whole meeting in front of my eyes! *dances around*
I'm honoured to write with you ;) An abandoned facility is just fine.
Who should start our story then and where? Forum?... PM-s?...
I'm open :)
*nods*

Misery

Her reply comes back quickly.  Being new and all a sense of pride wells up for such compliments from some one such as her that has been writing much longer than he is.

*blushes and smiles*  My secret is out.  *feigns mock terror*   My fantasies and imagination were put on hold so long ago, it feels good to let them out of the bottle so to speak and with someone as so eloquent as yourself.    Forum, this way we can share the magic of the story with others if they so desire to read it.   

Your humble writing partner
kNighted   

Michael sits back reading his reply one last time before sending along.  He begins to form the beginning of their story in his mind. The thrill of writing again has his fingers abuzz with new energy. 

Shia

So... dear you, master of words, charming women even without meeting them face to face ;)... Would you like to start our topic then? *winks and smiles playfully* I'd be pleased to read you first, as it's such a rare occasion in my forum life :)) *strokes back hair on her very wise white head* :P

Misery

He lets out a little laugh, Charming?  he says to the screen. 

I am not sure I am as charming as i would like to be otherwise.....well here is to a great story.  Yes, I would be honored to start this story.  *tentatively reaches but hesitates to touch such lovely white hair*

I have started what I believe will be a fascinating story.

Your humble writing partner
kNighted   

Forum Start: 
Just like any other day the wind seeped into any crack that was made available.  Just once to feel the kiss of warmth.  Even with layers of clothes it was never warm.  The last month he has taken up to mumbling to himself. "That is what I get for signing up for this wretched place."  Having been in his post at the pole, for now 6 months on what was supposed to be a 3 month rotation.  His radio has been down for 2 months and it seems well that everyone has forgotten that he even exists.  Alarms can be faintly heard in the background as generator #2 has just went offline again.  Putting on his extreme weather suit he waddles through the triple exit built to conserve heat but more of a pain than anything.   "I hate this place so much.  Why did I ever volunteer for this crap."  Finally outside he slowly works his way to the generator.  A quick prime of the diesel fuel should be all it needs.

Shia

But there were no more replies that day. Whatever happened to his teasing writing mate she stayed silent - though she still appeared logged in for another couple of hours. Then that was gone too, only her smiling avatar facing him restlessly next to the now gray little square. Alien Friend maybe found his intro boring and rather chose to return to her own planet, where lonely physicians composing posts in the middle of the night are much more exciting, worthy for her attention...?

Little he knew about the stuggle of his colleagues in the county hospital to keep Alliana Stewart alive and that how she was connected to the same website as he did. But Life was generous and patient, revealing what had to be revealed - only in the right time...

Misery

He wonders what happened.  Maybe his story was not what she was expecting and simply chose to ignore it to move onto something else.  When he saw her log off with not even so much as a 'thank you but not what I was looking for.'   He was a bit concerned as he prepared for bed. 

His night was rocked with vivid dreams of Alien' and envisioning what would have been their story.  He could not explain why she had seemed to attach to his mind as deeply as she had but she had.  Stumbling through his morning activities without much thought he finally arrived at the hospital.  He walked up to the nurse's station's to look over his patient charts.  "How is everything this morning?" he asks the nurse sitting there.

Shia

She was another one. Brown and slim and kind - yesterday's monster was gone for now, thanks to Heavens. Even her presence radiated a sort of harmony that can hardly be found in the rush of the world outside. Her modestly cut short hair and the small golden cross on her cardigan signed she was actually a nun, serving in the hospital, working also as a nurse. And she was wearing a colourful hand-made name tag next to the official one, titled 'Francis'.
"Hello. Good morning. Fine, thanks Mr. ... I'm nurse Francis. Or Fran. Both are okay with me." And with a kind smile she was waiting for Michael to introduce himself.
This time the blind on the window of Allie's room was up and she glanced into that direction pretty frequently, a humble wooden rosary wrapped around her left fingers...

Misery

He frowns at his own poor manners, "I am terribly sorry, My name is Michael Austin.  Francis it is a pleasure to meet you.  I had a long night."  with that being enough of an explanation.  He really wanted to see Alliana, but sensed something was not quite right.   He pauses from his reviewing of the charts and notices her constant glancing Alliana's direction and her fingers fumbling over her rosary.  He hesitantly asks, "Francis is everything okay?  You seem distracted."  He was hoping beyond hope that it was not Alliana.

He starts to walk away, "If you will excuse me there is a special patient I would like to visit."

Shia

"If you go in there..." - Francis raised from her seat, leaning against the counter with a bittersweet smile. "Please don't tire her much. Allie's been.. reanimated last night after a seizure and they also had to make tracheotomy on her, so just..." She was pausing for a while, searching for the best solution. "hold the laptop for her, so she can write with her mouth, I think.. She's not breathing on her own at the moment.. I'm so sorry to give you news like this.. But she's still with us, so.. there's hope."
The nun nodded and gave Michael an encouraging look.
"Just sign me if you need anything." 
The rosary meant this then, trouble and sorrow...

Misery

He taps gently on the door before quietly walking in.  He is saddened to see her in such a state and knew given time he could do so much for her.  As he walks to her bedside, he lightly says, "Good morning Alliana, I hear you had a difficult time last night.  I am truly sorry for that.  If only I could be given permission to help."  he pauses to lightly touch her hand for reassurance, "I don't want to tire you overly much after your ordeal.  If you don't mind I would like to sit here with you for a little bit." 

It ravaged him to his soul to see her like this.  He really did feel he could help her if given the opportunity. 

Shia

Somebody already set her laptop close to the bed and made music for her that generously contrapunted the monotone, restless hissing of the ventillator, pressing life into her throat again and again. This time the Traviata... He couldn't be sure but it was easy to think that 'somebody' was Francis. 
She gave him a weak smile, this morning she was lying there like any other white headed of the unit here, defeated and slowly but definitely drifting towards the edge, tucked under the covers, her crooked thin fingers resting on the blue blanket with jumping dolphins. The only object besides some plush figures, books and bouquets that reminded of the fact: she was a person.
Then her lips began to move, making her whole face strain yet she tried so hard to form a silent word for him, at least.
'Speak', maybe...?

Misery

He returns her smile with one of his most glowing smiles.  He quickly sits up straighter when she she mouths the word he thought speak.  "Do you want to say something?" he asks.  He is unsure of himself, but he pulls the laptop closer and her pen, "Is this what you are asking for?" 

He could see she was tiring rapidly and he did not want to add any unnecessary strain. 

Shia

With a halting nod and another attempt to smile -that finally ends up in a grimace- Allie tries to tell him: this is exactly what she needs now, then when she carefully takes the pen's end into her mouth and the keyboard is within a reach slowly she begins to make sentences once the music is softened.
When one message ended she smirks and soon a familiar voice can be heard:
"Return you are, Michael Knight. Very impressive." - says the raspy tone of Master Yoda.
So this is what 'Knight Rider' referred to - just the old TV series hero, having the same name. 
"Make yourself at home." - she changes back to the usual, slightly mechanic female's voice now as she continues to communicate and gathering some strength she makes something like an inviting movement with her left hand, spasmodic and awkward but still in use, unlike her other arm which seems to be completely out of control.

Then her incredible, still sparkling eyes settle on Michael's face - the pen trembles between her lips and soon falls on the blanket.
Damn it! - she closes her eyes, frustrated. If the stand would be closer, then she could place it next to the laptop when not speaking, but first she should tell it to her visitor. What a devilish circle...!

Misery

A minor success but it felt right as he placed the pen into her mouth.  It was difficult to see such struggle but he knew with time he could improve her quality of life so much.     

Michael lets out a hardy laugh he replies through his laughter, “Yes, I have returned.”   He now knew that his writing partner online was not Alliana.  He was a little disappointed but he could not say why.  He takes a seat and gets comfortable, “Thank you.”  His eyes are captured by her glowing eyes.  He stares into her eyes, everything forgotten until the pen falls from her lips.   Jolted from his trance he glances around like a kid checking to see if they were caught stealing a cookie from the cookie jar.  Sitting up, he delicately picks up the pen and with a questioning look.  He points the pen to the stand holding it there looking in her eyes for approval before setting the pen on her stand.

Looking down at his watch to ensure he still has some time.  He wanted to share some thoughts on her condition but his concern that she barely knew him.  “Alliana, I would love to help you, but I think it is important that you know a little about me as a Doctor. “  he takes a deep breath and begins, “I have been a doctor going on 17 years.  I am primarily a primary care physician.  I believe that it is my responsibility to diagnose and work with every one of my patients personally. “  never one to be comfortable to talk about himself he left it brief. 

As he explains a little about himself and his desire to help her what he really wanted to do is just hold her and tell her it would be okay.  While this bothered him immensely to feel this way about a patient, what really bothered him is that he could not place why.  As he looked on her his mind reeled with more questions than answers. 

Shia

He brought life into that room. She liked his full laughter, how he rushed to make her feel more comfortable, the move as he picked up the pen for her - Michael was so vivid. Not just as a physician but as a human being as well. Simply it was good to look at him - he had everything she had to miss. Being doctor Michael Austin, now that could be something really exciting and satisfying! Little she knew about his loneliness, his failed relationships, women as his ghosts, his longing for a family, for a home...! She only saw the disguise and that looked just perfect.
When he offered to pull the stand closer and place the pen there she blinked one, long. 'YES'. But this was just so poor, so Allie added a "Thank you" once she began to stab the keyboard again and also she tried to smile at him though it was too risky while writing so she rather chose to put a smiley after her thanks. What a crazy era! A machine smiles for you... - she thought bitterly, however without her laptop she would have been practically mute now, so it was time to accept this.
And move forward.

"So... Doctor Michael. You're a busy man, eh?" Allie typed when he glanced at his watch, just like yesterday and possibly every morning. "I won... I always know what's the time." She referred to the small icon on the monitor. "I could even ask money for it and build up a carrier here... Don't you think?"
It was much easier to see cheerfulness in her clear hazel gaze than on her distorted face, soon he could figure this out. And those eyes were definitely smiling at him now.
Then Francis entered quietly, to check on her infusion and also to damp her lips with icecubes, which seemingly came like salvation for her, eagerly she tried to catch as many drops of water as she could, whether he was watching it or not. This was her oasis in the desert of so called medical care and also the presence of this nun, her soft smile, her cool palm on her forehead, that little act how she caressed hair back on her temple meant the closeness of an angel for Allie. They shared a warm smile...
"Good." Fran mopped some escaping drops from her neck. "Are you tired, dear?" - she asked her seriously, like she didn't trust the girl's judgement, but actually it was just her motherly concern for this special patient.
Two blinks. 'NO'.
"All right then." The nun gave a friendly smile to both of them and once again she made sure the caller was properly fixed to her left hand, so she could sign anytime.
"Would you like me to take these away?.. Or leave them here?" - she now asked with the kerchief and the bowl containing the icecubes in her hand.

Refreshed by the moisture and her pure goodwill Allie began to type and somehow they could suspect another joke was to come. Maybe that playful sparkling in her eyes...?
"Oh! Could you deprive me of a handsome doctor's fondness?!... Just leave those here. Otherwise how will I ever be married, holy sister?"
Actually she felt thirsty like hell, despite of the fluid running into her vein constantly, despite of the two cubes she already had.
Hearing the mechanic female voice telling these funny sentences Fran leaned closer, cupping her face.
"Okay. Then I'll just leave them here. I could never forgive myself if I spoiled your future, young lady.. Just call me if you need anything."
After another encouraging expression given to Michael she was about to leave but then...
"Fran. This buddy has been a doctor for seventeen years... Don't you think he's a bit too old for me?"
Giggling she shook her head and closed the door as quietly as she came in a few minutes ago. No matter how weak she was this morning somehow you couldn't leave her room without getting into a better mood. She was like the Sun, peeking through even the thickest clouds.
"When I was seventeen year old" - she continued typing. "I tried party drog. Only once... It seems it was an unfortunate try." She added a little face with its tongue sticked out.
"Now you tell me a music to listen. We can retire Guiseppe for today."

Misery

As her eyes sparkled he warmed inside, he replies “Alliana you are most welcome.”  His hands instinctively begins rolling a pen between his fingers.  A poor habit he picked up in med school when he was nervous.  “There are times it can be busy, during flu and cold seasons are typically the busiest, but I have plenty of time to be here with you.”  He hoped that did not come out to corny.    Without giving him self much time to think about his comment, “I just think you could, but then you would have no time to talk with me. “ he feigns mock sadness at the thought.   He was delighted at how her eyes sparkled during their conversation. 

He knew that the person inside was beautiful.  As he was about to comment,  “Alliana….”  the nurse walks in to check on her.  He watched attentively as she moistened her lips with the ice, the exchange of warm smiles.  He knew there was a closeness there that was beyond simply a nurse and patient.  It was good to see that kind of compassion.

He blushed when Alliana and Fran began talking about him.  He could not remember blushing since college.  “Ladies..” he began but got no further.  Her giggling became infectious and next thing he was laughing with her.  “Alliana….Alianna, what am I ever going to do with you?.”  Blood still flushed his face when the nurse quietly left the room.  His smile was largest it had been in years when he looked upon her. 

Her mention of a party drug and he immediately grew very serious, “Do you recall the drug name?  I think it would be an important key. Odd that I saw no mention of that in your charts.”   Just as he finishes asking she is already moving on to listening to music.  “Oh, I do not know, my music tastes are eclectic at best.   But here is a song that is a little sad but special to me.  If you enjoy it maybe we can listen to some other music together.

Shia

Who knows why but Allie enjoyed how he leaned closer and typed the website's address himself - this was so friendly, so casual. With others she felt very uncomfortable even a bit hurt if somebody took over the lead over her very personal computer, her only private room, but somehow Michael prooved to be an entirely different thing, therefore she didn't even mention him her only rule. Simply smiled and enjoyed the music while composing another, longer message she only let to be heard after the song ended.
"Stuff was contaminated. Others who shared it died. I was in coma for three months. And my neural system suffered an extended damage. Parts that are responsible for speech and motion in the brain were harmed seriously. That's the story Doctor Knight." Again the face with the tongue sticked out...
But then a little joyful, dancing figure.
"Your music is great. It has a tremendously large space... Freedom, I think... I'm happy you shared this with me. Thank you... Michael." This was the first time she 'told' his name like this.
Gathering strength she tried hard to lift her left hand again, the caller fixed to her palm, button under her middle finger. But it was for him now. Nothing about calling Francis. Though her hand dropped back onto the blanket soon, it got closer to his one - grimacing she returned to typing.
"Bang. Then just imagine I patted your hand... You are a nice guy, Mikey. So nice that I dare to ask the favour of the century from you..."
Of course, she kept a break, only to make the effect more intense, glancing at him and how curious his expression became...
"I'm dying for another icecube!!!" Smileys, one after the other.
Allie really enjoyed she managed to play a little joke on the big big doctor and chose one more song from the same artist just like asking for his "forgiveness".

Misery

His music had always been something personal for him.  It was a way he healed and to share that with her felt comfortable.  Typing the address into the computer quickly he stood there over her, his eyes closed as he listened to the music.  As he opened his eyes, she further explained more about the drugs that ravaged her body.  He smiles as the face dances across her screen he replies, “I am sorry for what it has done.”   

His eye brow arches when she simply calls him Michael but with a large smile he replies.  “I am really glad you enjoyed it.   Like I said my music is something I consider special. A special person as yourself, I think deserves some special music.”   As she mentions patting his hand he slowly edges his hand so very close to her own that the fingertips are just brushing along each other. 

“A favor, of course name it, anything.”   He was surprised by her request for ice but he was anxious and nervous at the same time.  He picks up ice and as he nears her lips, he recognizes the song immediately.  “Are you teasing me?” he asks with a laugh in his voice.  With his breath held he slides the ice across her lips slowly.  Mesmerized as he moves the ice slowly over her top lip and then rolling over her bottom lip.  The moisture glistening in the sunlight as he continues to roll the ice across her lips.  With the ice quickly melting his finger inadvertently brushes against her soft lips causing him to pull hand back in surprise.  He mumbles an apology, “I am sorry.”  The last thing he wanted to do is offend her or have her be upset with him.

Shia

Like that lost writer in the desert she licked the drops of water, one after the other, trying to capture as many as she could, grateful, relieved, satisfied in a way. Only when his finger bumped into her mouth Allie stopped and looked at him again, a bit confused herself but when she managed to type again yet she took it easy.
"No worries, doc. It happens... A little romanticism for me, yay... Jane Austen hospital version." She tried to make a joke of this little accident but how her hand tried to squeeze his one now that it was right next to hers: that wasn't a joke at all.
"Thank you Michael.. And.. everybody has to tease somebody, I think. And we all have to be teased to feel the real taste of life... That's my opinion. I spoke." - and she placed a little wise native american figure at the end of it, smoking his pipe with a bored face.
She was visibly tired by now and between two message her lids were about to close, time and time again but she fought against it, seeing how much they enjoyed their duo, speaking rather free, thanks to 21st century.
But Fran glanced at them more and more frequently and this was also a polite sign for Michael to make it short. 
"Dear sister watches, eh?"

Misery

Still uneasy but her relaxed reaction set him at ease.   It was an accident he knew that, but it felt different.  Her continued teasing quickly lighted his mood,   “Well I am glad you see fit to tease me.”  Recognizing that  she is growing tired and his day is only starting, he slides his hand further now covering her own.  His smile grows before adding, “I think my time is up.”  He says with a mischievous smile and throwing a glance towards Fran.  “but I would like very much to visit tomorrow morning to continue our wonderful conversation, that is of course if you would have me?” 

Before leaving he gives her hand a light squeeze, “Until tomorrow then.”   Walking by Fran he whispers, “I am sorry….I tired her with my whimsical conversations.  Is there any insight you can share with me about her exact condition?”  He wanted to help wherever he could.  His thoughts were still lingering on that brief but special touch.  He could still feel the softness of her skin against the palm of his hand where they touched. 

Shia

Francis giggled hearing his phrase, leaning her temple against her palm, looking more than tired herself. How was this possible? Around Alliana she didn't show a single sign of it...
"Don't worry Michael. Actually it's.. Allie. She's the one who tires herself with 'whimsical conversations', all the time and we're the ones who are too weak to quit her for her sake, right? But you saw yourself how much she loves life and people... Just a moment..."
Quickly she checked on her again, closing the door extra carefully as she returned.
"Fell asleep.. Now we can talk free." The nun lowered her head taking a deep breath. Hard. It was so hard for this kind soul whose head already started to turn white, yet there was a forever young strength and hope in her gaze.
Slowly sitting back in the swivel chair behind the counter she offered another for Michael.
Then the story began...
"Have you ever heard about the painter, great teacher of art named Henry Stewart?... Alliana's uncle. Died last year. Imagine that the helpless girl watched the whole scene after she called for help.. But that came too late. It was embolism in the lung, nothing to do.. He was her only relative and.. they were really close, I think. Henry was... he preferred men's company if you know what I mean, never married, therefore when he became the person in charge for Allie after that tragic night, he did his best to bring her back to life, after.. months of coma, other long months of rehabilitation... She could even complete five semesters at College... But then her uncle died and since then her condition is only declining."
Francis sighed and poured some tea first to Michael then also for herself.
"Since she's in here she had a stroke that paralyzed her right side.. She has seizures, like never before... Doctor Austin, to be honest I'm really worried we're gonna loose her if things go on like this.. Therefore......."

Lifting her clear gaze at him she spoke with the determination of warriors.
"I plan to take Allie out of here as her caretaker. But.. she doesn't know about this yet as I have no place to go with her. Only if I'm alone.. I'm a nun and my.. superior gave me an ultimatum. If I choose to dedicate my life to Alliana - she's gonna do everything to get me out of the order.. However, I studied our regula, very well, each and every letter from the very beginning to the very last paragraph, and there isn't a single reference there saying a nun can not focus her attention only on one soul in need, once she prooved her unconditional love and willingness for the whole community... Doctor Austin, I've been to the poorest spots of Earth. I've watched hundreds if not thousands of people starving and dying like mosquitos and"
Fran exhaled long and her voice trembled.
"God sees my soul, wherever I was I tried to help, I've been a sister since I was twenty five...... But years before that...... I gave birth to a child... A boy... I was almost a child myself, so... a couple adopted him through the social service, we were poor and with not much future..."
Again she turned her look at the sleeping figure behind the window...
"But this, now.. Allie... I know she's my next mission.. and possibly my personal salvation... I've never been able to forget that once I was a mother.. and she's never had one... She's already so attached to me, just like me to her, so.. I've made up my mind, whether my order supports me or not. I'm gonna take her as soon as I find a place for us... and if she would like to stay with me, of course, that's the main thing..."
Her eyes settled on the motionless girl, smiling softly like she was looking right into her eyes...
"Doctor Austin, maybe my question is too bold but.. do you know somebody who could give shelter to us? Anybody... Henry Stewart was seriously indebted when he passed away so their house is gone, and which remained is there to support Alliana's therapies. She has nowhere to go, that's why she's here and as soon as I leave the order I'll be the same. So.. at least in the beginning we can only count on other people's goodwill."
Francis rubbed her forehead then caressed back her short hair.
"She doesn't know but I'm not working overtime to gain more glory or money to our community... I'm here because of her.. To be by her side... Sometimes I even sleep in the hospital, just like last night when she collapsed... I just.. couldn't leave. I was praying in the chapel.. not to loose her..."
They say affection is a forbidden thing for monks and nuns. But after all, Francis Keller wasn't just a nun anymore.
Invisibly she became a parent as well. A hoping parent...

Misery

Michael did not expect to be told so much.  He simply stood there in silence for several minutes before he was able to say something.  “I had no idea that her story was so complex.  It is all so sad.”  He continues to digest everything that she said, “I had the impression that some bad drugs were taken.  But it doesn’t matter one way or the other.  I can understand why you want to help her.  She has such a special personality that glows.  That glow is infectious to any one that takes the time to truly talk to her.”  He gives a small smile as he ponders just how much she has infected him. 

Michael reaches out and places a comforting hand on her shoulder.   He takes a minute to ponder his next statement very carefully, “I would be willing to provide a place for you and Alliana to stay.  My home is large enough for several people and yet I am the only one that lives there.”  Pausing for a moment, “and  I don’t want any argument. I am only ever there in the evenings.  Any other time I am at my practice.  And besides this will give me a chance to work closer with her to giver her more specialized care.”   Checking his watch he realizes he really needs to head to his office to get his own patients seen. 

“I will be stopping by in the morning, let me know your decision.  I can have the house prepared for the both of you within days.”  With his last comment he heads for the elevator.  If he hurries he will be there before his first set of patients begins to arrive.

Shia

Quote from: Misery on January 10, 2010, 01:15:52 PM
Forum Start: 

Just like any other day the wind seeped into any crack that was made available.  Just once to feel the kiss of warmth.  Even with layers of clothes it was never warm.  The last month he has taken up to mumbling to himself.
"That is what I get for signing up for this wretched place." 
Having been in his post at the pole, for now 6 months on what was supposed to be a 3 month rotation.  His radio has been down for 2 months and it seems well that everyone has forgotten that he even exists.  Alarms can be faintly heard in the background as generator #2 has just went offline again.  Putting on his extreme weather suit he waddles through the triple exit built to conserve heat but more of a pain than anything.   
"I hate this place so much.  Why did I ever volunteer for this crap." 
Finally outside he slowly works his way to the generator.  A quick prime of the diesel fuel should be all it needs.

'Then she was simply there, out of the blue, like we would say, but it was rather an out of the white, as white was the only colour except his chill-reddish cheeks and warm suit.
She was tall and thin yet so unmistakably feminine, her skin like a vivid grass, her moon-shaped eyes like large, round shaped green crystals, her long hair like a veil of algas. She was like Spring herself peeking out from under the thick icy blanket that wrapped everything around here, and lifting her fragile hand, with a long palm facing him she only said:
"Hello" Stange accent, strange smile, yet she did all this so casual like they were only two handball players on the sandy shore.
Were they?...
And where did she come from? Definitely not human but surely humanoid. Was she another forgotten expert? Was this her special dress to protect her against this lethal temperature?
No, she didn't have a single piece of cloth on her body. For her maybe the pole was actually just a pleasantly warm beach.'

Shia

Alien Friend's reply was without any explanation, why she didn't answer to Michael's opening post yesterday remained a mistery. After all, it was just one day, one tiny little day, maybe she thought a short delay like this wasn't important for him. Maybe she was away, maybe she was busy with other stories... Anyway, her lines were there and in PM he only got a single smiley like a sign of life. A kind and strong sign of life.

And less than a week later Alliana Stewart also got a happy sign in the form of her winter coat, knitted shawl and hat plus her mittens, she didn't meet them for a year! Now Francis was showing these to her with a wide, pander smile and suddenly Doctor Austin was there too, pushing her power chair in with a similarly mischievous expression - an old friend, stored in the basement until this evening, covered with dust and the memories of a family's last days together...
Something great was about to happen and now that the cursed tube was gone from her throat Allie's strange laughter filled the room as she tried to press herself more into a sitting position, only to see the performance better. She also stuggled to say something to Michael, but only the nurse was able to understand what - she giggled first.
"She says: So you're not Superman.. She thought you would carry her chair on your back, I think."
"Whai no ttt?" Now this was more clear from her mouth.
Fran stepped to the bed and stroked her hair, squeezing the twitching hand that reached out to touch her.
"Allie dear, we hape a surprise for you. Right?" - she turned to Michael, already fighting back some silly tears seeing how prayers can turn to reality.
She was the same fascinated by miracles like ten, twenty, thirty years ago.

Misery

Quote from: Shia on January 17, 2010, 11:14:18 AM

'Then she was simply there, out of the blue, like we would say, but it was rather an out of the white, as white was the only colour except his chill-reddish cheeks and warm suit.
She was tall and thin yet so unmistakably feminine, her skin like a vivid grass, her moon-shaped eyes like large, round shaped green crystals, her long hair like a veil of algas. She was like Spring herself peeking out from under the thick icy blanket that wrapped everything around here, and lifting her fragile hand, with a long palm facing him she only said:
"Hello" Stange accent, strange smile, yet she did all this so casual like they were only two handball players on the sandy shore.
Were they?...
And where did she come from? Definitely not human but surely humanoid. Was she another forgotten expert? Was this her special dress to protect her against this lethal temperature?
No, she didn't have a single piece of cloth on her body. For her maybe the pole was actually just a pleasantly warm beach.'

It was one of those days that just seemed to never end.  His time with Alliana easily flew by, but the rest of the day drug on him.  Finally with his day ending he walks into his home and looks around.  After his conversation with Fran, his home would have new members, maybe bring a warmth that has been always missing.  His doubts were screaming through his head but his heart told him that this was right.  The warmth that spread through his body thinking of the guests that would soon call this place home.  Shaking his head with a smile, he throws his keys in their customary spot, and makes himself a gin.  Sitting in front of the computer he was slow to turn it on.  His thoughts still swarming from the days events.  Sighing he turns to the computer to see that his favorite Alien’ has replied to the start of his post.  He gives it little thought at the delay for her post.  People's real lives at times get so overwhelming.  As he read through her post a smile lights up his face.

He jumps as she materializes in front of him.  His fear pushes him several steps back as she begins to talk with the most fascinating accent he has ever heard.  He rubs his eyes several times to be sure that the cold or lonliness has not finally driven him over the edge.  Looking again her lithe form flows through the chill of the air. To his embarrassment it was becoming quite obvious that she was feminine and very much appeared to be without clothes.  Luckily for him his cheeks were already stained red from the severe cold.  He asks, “Who..who… or wwwhat are you?  What are you doing in this awful place?”  Her beauty memorizes him alien or not, there was a sense of beauty that he could not place.  He hopes that his loneliness for companionship is not tainting him in some way.  Realizing he never welcomed her he quietly comments, “Hello”

Quote from: Shia on January 17, 2010, 11:46:24 AM
....... She was the same fascinated by miracles like ten, twenty, thirty years ago.

He smiles with her as she comments about Superman.  "Sometimes I wish I was but no I  am not Superman, but on my back no you should be carried in someone’s arms. “   He glanced over to Fran as she mentioned the surprise.  The butterflies swarmed through his stomach as he cleans the chair making it fit for her to sit in.  Kneeling as he cleans he looks up into her eyes, “So do you think you can handle this thing?”  He asks teasing her.   His nerves were taut with excitement.  He had worked very hard to make the place she would soon call home feel like a home.  Being a single man, his needs were very few and at most the house had the feel of the hospital they were in.  He had worked with several people to get things right.  To give it warmth, to ensure clear paths through the home and simply add color.  His hand some how finds hers and brushes across her soft skin lightly.  He wasn’t sure if it was to assure her of the surprise or to reassure himself. 

Shia

Somehow the small UFO sticker avoided Michael's attention as he was cleaning her chair...
"U thi nk u ca nn han ddl mi?" Allie teased him back with a playful wink in those talkative dark eyes as she felt this touch on his hand again.
But as it was her right hand - he had to be satisfied only with her look. Their gazes sticked to each other, sparkling, moments of sweet silent falling upon them...
Francis waited for a while, smiling softly at the scene but then she had to invite them back to reality, in order to make them leave as soon as it was possible.
"All right then, we'll be in the parking place within fifteen minutes, okay?" And with a polite nod she asked him to leave to get Alliana ready for the short trip.
'Will she accept this new life we offer?... She mustn't know I've had to leave my order!...'

Earlier she prepared everything for the Big Day, taking the Stewarts' few remained belongings from the city hall's store to Austin's house by a large used car she got from a family who loved her so much, arranged everything in Allie's future room, large and light, and also decorated it for her arrival -everything had to look perfect and perfectly inviting. Also they settled the safety seat into Michael's jeep(?) and thanks to God, her chair also fit into the back of the car, though there wasn't much space left to see what was behind them. Francis stayed beside this bundle of wool and knitted accessories called Alliana and drank in her excited and happy expressions. When they passed the park and the already floodlit trees she saw tears running down on her cheeks, the city lights mirroring in her eyes...

Misery

His smile shown in his eyes, when she asked him if he could handle her, “Oh I don’t know, but I know there are things in life I would work very hard at trying and that would be a task I would work hard towards.”  Her eyes were like pools of dark water reflecting the light of the stars around.  As Francis breaks the comfortable silence between then, “Oh yes, sorry.” He replies.   

Driving through town his eyes floated from the road in front of him and his rearview mirror and watching her eyes light up with excitement.  He took his time with the drive, giving her the time he thought she would want to take in the night lights.  There was beauty in everything and it seemed that she saw it more than anyone he had ever met.  Most take the surroundings for granted but not her.  It made being alive that much more special.  That made her that much more special.  He looks over at the worried Francis and flashes her a reassuring smile.   Finally arriving after what seemed a very short drive, but in reality was over  30 minutes, he pulls into the driveway of a well-groomed and well lighted home.  “All right here we are.” He announces.  His butterflies had settled but came screaming back in full force.  It felt more like a belly full of bats screeching through his insides.  Will she like it?  Will she stay?

Quickly pulling the motorized chair from the back of the Jeep, he pulls it along the back door.  Opening the door, he hesitantly wraps his arms around Alliana.  He pauses with the lightness of her in his arms.  He is slow to lower her into the chair but eventually does.  Not wanting to say too much yet he asks, "So what do you think?"  He walks along side her chair as they move slowly towards the front of the house.

The ramp still had a look of just being installed in his eye, but he hoped she did not notice.  Opening the door he motions for her and Fran to both enter.  Turning the lights on inside the house he motions for both in.  "Please make yourself comfortable."  He flashes Fran a knowing look and smile.

Shia

And the nun quickly take off her hat, shawl and mittens, loosening her coat as well while they let her time to let the cozy atmosphere of the house filter in slowly. From the curtains through the nicely polished wooden floor till the large antique mirror hanging on the wall of the hall she was enchanted, rolling from one corner to the other then back - it was a happiness only to watch her first moves in this large house that was so lonely until they arrived - until she arrived.
Francis squeezed the soft materials in her hands, giving Michael a grateful look. For her it was a true miracle, whether she'll accept this huge gift or not. For her it already eased the pain of the last one year when she had to watch this flower suffer and wilt under a cruel climate called hospital care.
"God bless you" - she mouthed silently while Aliiana was on her rally to peek into the living room and quickly mopped a teardrop from her face.

To answer Michael's question she had to think it through first, she was sensitive and patient like a cat, like a soul walking on the line between visible and invisible. She took her time, to say so, like every true artist.
"No tt ba d" She stated then, teasing him with another wink as she tilted her head against the headrest. "Wo liv he?"
Sister Keller almost ate her nales by the time they reached this point of their first evening together...

Misery

His smile was enough to light up the room when he answered, “We all do.  That is if you want to.  I would really love for you and Francis to live with me”  His answer was simple and with very little in the way of an explanation.  He was hoping that she would approve of the house.  So far so good but there was so much for her to see and it was a long way from feeling like a home for her he assumed.   He walks over to Alliana and kneels in front of her. “Alliana, this is my home, but before I met you…..and Francis of course, my life was empty.  I only had my work to push me through life.  Since I have met you….well I have something else to look forward to move through life with.”  He reached out and held her hand before arising again.

Shia

Her other hand was still resting above the control panel and with trembling lips she was just staring at him, mind stirring, heart racing...
'How is it possible?? How is it possible??...'
And Francis at her, hands folded like she was praying...
'Say yes! Do say yes, my dear! This is your great chance, angel!...'
At this moment she was an empress deciding about the future of three - and she was a confused girl lost between worlds at the same time.
Feeling Michael's hand on her motionless one, seeing Fran's widening eyes... she struggled to form the words, even her neck was straining she wanted to do this so right now!...
"U ki ll sambod ii bef o rrr Mik iii?" Allie gave him a serious look that was somehow too serious to be real...
...Of course, she was playing a joke on him again, even now and added a few more words only the nun understood, giggling and tearing at once as she translated.
"Allie asks: is this your atonement? To let us live in your house?"
Slowly and carefully she peeled off the coat from her and hung it on the proper place in this friendly hall - for the very first time.

Misery

He held his breath in anticipation of her answer.  His mind screams that something is wrong, or she doesn’t like it or she is not comfortable with me.  He glanced at Francis who was just as nervous as he was.  When she answered he was so shocked that he at first mistook her look as something seriously wrong.  A look of utter panic crossed his face before he realized Fran was giggling.  The look of relief on his face was very evident.  With a large smile, “Alliana,”  he pauses, “nooo, I want you to live here.”  He did not care to mention the loneliness that he has felt growing stronger with the passing months.   

“So Alliana, what do you want to see first? “ spreading his arms wide, “This is your home now.”  It felt good to say that and to see the look on both ladies faces was something he would never forget through the rest of his living years. 

Shia

...And how they were just crying for long moments when Allie realized it wasn't just a dream and finally signed the form to discharge from hell - a magic moment. They were repeating thank you-s to him, like a well organized choir, the girl in the chair squeezing his hand, the lady hugging him, planting a mothernal kiss on his forehead. Michael Austin could feel like the hero of the century, when the nun quickly drove back to the hospital -promising to prepare a tasty dinnner later- to arrange papers and also to get Alliana's modest stuff, books and CD-s and her clothes and he stayed alone with her in her new room. Allie's eyes wet with tears as she was looking over Francis' work, again and again. There was a perfectly home looking and yet practical interior around her, the few remaining paintings of her uncle which wasn't sold at the auction smiling from the walls, her own adjustable bed covered with a new large patchwork blanket decorated with large tulips, old books on the shelves, her dear familiar checked curtains, cleaned and shod.

Only now she was able to reply his last question, still in awe.
"Is any th ng mo rrr to si?" - she joked.
Of course, there was, the house was BIG, and till now they only visited the lower level, where their rooms took place, Fran's was originally a secluded sanctuary to work and Allie's a guest's place to say, two cozy nests right next to each other. What hid at the storey was a mistery, though a question was already on her mind:
If he had this complete castle... then why the heck he had his practice somewhere else??
Two terraces embraced the house on two sides and there was a large, glassed winter garden at the corner of it - the perfect waiting room both for cold and for warm months.
'Maybe he's one of those who must travel day by day...' - she was eying him kindly as she turned the chair to face the doctor again.

Misery

The emotions that swelled in his chest to bursting was something he has never experienced.  On the verge of shedding tears with the ladies, he felt so joyful to have them there.  He has done good things for others, but this was more.  This was so much more, it was beyond helping someone in need.  This was building a family.  An odd family they may seem but a family.   Alliana’s hand felt warm and soft resting in his own.  He would lightly squeeze with reassurance.  Returning the Nun’s hug he blushes faintly when she kisses his forehead.

“There is so much more to see.  Everything you see is for you.  Go where you like, do what you wish.  The terrace is beautiful this time of night.  The moon should just be visible over the horizon.”  He offered to walk with her and enjoy the serenity of the moment.  When he looked in her eyes, the pools of joy that shown brightly swelled him with pride.  Pride that he was able to bring her such pleasure in life. With a large grin, “So what would you like to see first?  I am at your beck and call, my Lady.”  With a flourish he gives her a deep bow.

Shia

The familiar wink followed his last sentence. She was so wise, so over the wisdom of her age, yet she was so lazy, so joking almost all the time, which was perfectly understandable, after all. The other way was depression, self-pity, massively falling darkness. But she tricked and caught Life becoming the Sun herself - her own Sun.
"So... Ho a but th stor ee? Yu sed sambod i shu d cerr i mm in hi zzzz ams." Alliana finished her long battle with words, the spasmodic moves of her head and chest stopped as she lay back... truly hoping he understood what she wanted to tell, now that her best translator was away - an unexpected situation. "The nnn th Mu nn.. me y bb."
She so wished to see the rest of this wonder castle! Or... was this rather the desire to be lifted by him again?... Her heart almost stopped with this thought.
Was this possible he caught her as well?...

Misery

Michael did his best to understand her meaning but was at a loss for some.  He has not yet attuned his hearing to understanding everything the way Fran has.  He thought he heard carry her in his arms.  Risking everything her comfort to be here, her comfort to be near him, He flashes her his most handsome smile, and locks the wheels to the chair.  Gently and carefully he lifts her from the chair.  She was so light in his arms.  His heart beats fast as he holds her close to him.  With a lightness of breath, “So where shall we walk to first?”  He did not want to tire her, but he wanted to make this moment, her in his arms as long as he could.  He offers, “How about the terrace first? With the clear sky the stars are like fireflies in the sky.”

He slowly walks her through the terrace with her nestled against his chest.  He not once looked up at the stars.  His eyes stared into hers, seeing his owns stars in her.

Shia

In his arms she settled and relaxed like a little nestling after its first lessons learning to fly. It was so inviting to relieve herself and let him hold up her head, let him be worried about her balance, that she finally shared his joy over the chance he could carry her a little longer this time. Even the fact Michael decided where to go first and took her to the terrace instead of the storey seemed to be only a grain of sand in the machine. Wrapped around by the warmth of his own body and the blanket he got from her new room it was all safe and comfortable. So comfortable that when they became lost in each other's gaze instead of the stars they originally planned to watch, Allie broke the silence and chuckled again. She wasn't proud of her voice and sounds escaping from her throat but being silent seemed worse than anything else somehow.
"It ss dam nn d so romm a nn tc, rig t?"

There are those situations when you don't know why you kill the mood with a joke - yet you feel an urge to do it. Alliana felt that too yet so hoped their first walk didn't become a victim of her silly sentence.
This situation was even more vulnerable than her body or Austin's soul. And who cared about stars "like fireflies in the sky" when it was about the two of them, seeing through all the armours and disguises they ever created for themselves, one of them shielding himself with work, the other doing the same with acting like a clown. 
"Sorrr i" - she then gulped heavily and closed her eyes at last, instead of throwing another bomb of humour.
With this man: she could quit being that clown - here there wasn't need for that. And so the world expanded for the two of them suddenly.
They were those fireflies in the sky.

Misery

He held her with such care and so close to his chest.  His heart beat rapidly holding her there in the night.   He snaps as if in a trance from her gaze, he gives a hesitant laugh, “It is a bit romantic here.” Michael doesn’t understand what he is feeling.  With his confusion he puts a lock on his emotions.  He flashes her a brilliant smile, “It is okay, I understand.”  He says as reassuring as he can.  He can only pray that it is.  Going back to the one thing he is sure of, he gives her a playful squeeze, “With you living here we can work on diagnosing this .”

With a more reassuring smile, he walks back into the house and slowly heads up the stairs holding her tight.  He heads to the master bedroom where there is a private balcony overlooking the pool behind the house.  He mentions to her that they were passing through his room.  It was sparcely decorated, only with the necessities to call it a bedroom.  There were no pictures, the walls were plain white and the bed was flat and plain.    Walking through the double doors he takes her to one of the most beautiful views in the entire house.  He holds her so she can see down over the lighted yard.  “How do you like it?   During the day there is such a perfect breezes that passes through there.  I think you would like sitting out here.”   He wants to say so much more but he bites back the words he wants to say.

Shia

As she heard the word 'diagnosing' her smile turned wider and she nestled her head against Michael's chest sighing. It was truly like arriving home. But how in the world this was possible?... Well, she was too tired to investigate this right here and now, she rather gave herself a chance to enjoy this very special care...
But when they glanced down at the wonder garden, suddenly Allie became so aware that she even forgot to take a breath, this sight had such an effect on her!
Her lips began to move more times... but all the efforts to speak were quite by the image of this hidden miracle - the real treasure of this old building.
"U jok i nnn g? I cu d liv ma i who lll iff e an d dddie ot the rr!" She swallowed and kept up her head a bit more. Only to see more! "Maiik it ss a mirc ll!"
There was so much to tell on her mind and in her heart at this moment! Do his parents know about this place? Does he have a family at all? Do his patients know about this place?... Whether kids in the neighbourhood know about this fairy land? Does he have cats? Does he have a dog? Does he have ANYBODY to share all this beauty??!...
After another long battle with her quite independent muscles she managed to lift her hand and pat his face.
"Tha nnn k uu"
As the portion of new experience was quickly growing, only in one evening, she really began to miss her other voice...

Misery

It had been long since he experienced such happiness.  It felt that his part was really so small to open up his large house to both of them.  The look on her face spoke so much more than words could ever express.  The fascination, marvel, excitement all seemed to flash across her face.  “Alliana, no joke.  I really want you here. There is so much and I wish to enjoy all this with you and Francis.”  His smile full of warmth but with a hint of sadness.   His thoughts strolled through the night in quiet reflection.  So much has happened in such a little time.  Holding her close did not cure his loneliness in fact the sting of loneliness stronger than ever.  Someone he could share his thoughts, his ideas, and even just how his day went. 

Looking into her eyes, a sad smile flashes as her hand touches his face, “You are very welcome. I hope you can feel that this place is your home, because it will be if you wish it.”  He looks back out over the yard, “Are you up to seeing more of the house?”   He wanted her to be as comfortable and to really feel like this was home.  “How about we go to the entertainment room?  One of my favorite rooms in the entire house.”  He closes the doors to the balcony and heads downstairs to the entertainment room, where just so happens to be his bar and computer.  A gin always takes  his mind off things that he wants to forget.   

Shia

...But by the time they arrived there... she was slumbering peacefully in his hold, face against his chest, and he could only notice now: Alliana's fingers were squeezing the edge of his grey coat that carried thousand memories of today...
Her face has never seemed angelic like this since Michael knew her, in her dreams she was free from every chain reality placed on her, every burden this broken body forced her to bear. At these moments she was just a girl, or rather a young woman sleeping a well deserved, long awaited sleep - it must have been sweet. Yes, she definitely felt this place her home
- these two arms, to be exact...

Misery

Arriving in the room, he looks to see that she is sleeping so very peacefully.  The look of such innocence brings a single tear to his eye.  For such innocence to be shackled with such bodily challenges.  He tenderly walks back down to her room and with the greatest of care places her in bed.  Realizing she is fully clothed he only covers her with a light blanket.  He assumes Fran will take care of that later.  Dimming the light as he slides out of the room.  Stretching  he heads to his entertainment room, he turns on his laptop.  While it boots up he fixes himself a gin & tonic.  Taking a long draw, he launches his many points of interest email and various news sites.     Once the sites are up he pulls the laptop from it's docking station and with drink in hand he heads to sit outside Alliana's room.  Sitting his drink next to him he begins his nightly exploration of the Internet.

Shia

Quote from: Misery on January 17, 2010, 01:59:42 PM
He jumps as she materializes in front of him.  His fear pushes him several steps back as she begins to talk with the most fascinating accent he has ever heard.  He rubs his eyes several times to be sure that the cold or lonliness has not finally driven him over the edge.  Looking again her lithe form flows through the chill of the air. To his embarrassment it was becoming quite obvious that she was feminine and very much appeared to be without clothes.  Luckily for him his cheeks were already stained red from the severe cold.  He asks, “Who..who… or wwwhat are you?  What are you doing in this awful place?”  Her beauty memorizes him alien or not, there was a sense of beauty that he could not place.  He hopes that his loneliness for companionship is not tainting him in some way.  Realizing he never welcomed her he quietly comments, “Hello”.

And then there was it, a new message in their topic, this very special place under the stars, this scene of two lonely hearts' night-talk, the little orange sign that rose gamers' adrenaline level and spiced their days with some long craved freshness there, shiny and new.
However this post somehow felt unfamiliar, even style was a bit changed... or it wasn't?... No further explanation, just the story continuing and a single wink in a PM. Whoever was on the other end of the line they shared must have been like a hiding stream.

'She leaned forward and also a bit down to be at his eye level, a long greenish arm reaching out to touch him -his cheek to be exact- just like she was trying to measure his body temperature... But then that soft smile revealed all her intentions. It seemed to be part of her greeting.
"We've always been here..." - that ethereal voice exhaled, making him tend to believe it WAS a hallucination.
Her words mingled with the restless sound of wind here - or was it the wing mingling with her tones as the only true sound of this breathtaking landscape?... "Welcome, human son."
Crystal clear eyes were inviting, pulling him closer only with their aura...'   

Misery

Finally logging into his role-playing account he seems that Alien’ has replied.  Sitting up in his seat he begins to read the continuation of their story.  Sitting back as he finishes his reading.  He grabs his gin from next to him and takes a sip of his gin as he contemplates the continuation of their story. He looks over his shoulder to be sure that she is still sleeping peacefully.  His emotions a jumble from the evening of welcoming her to his now their home.

Her alien touch was so very smooth and cold as his brushed along his cheek.  When her hand left his cheek he could still feel her magical touch.  His brows arch, “What do you mean always been here?”  he spreads his arms wide, “You mean here in this barren hell?  Or all over Earth?”  He was beginning to fully believe that this was just a hallucination of his mind due to the cold.  Because of that he was beginning to feel slightly cocky with his reply.  For a hallucination her voice was so enticing to his ears.  He would like to talk to his hallucination more but his hands were beginning to lose feeling in his fingers and toes.  He begins, “It has been great conversing wi…..”    His eyes locked to hers, and he could continue no further.  He forgot of the numbing cold biting his fingers and toes. He slowly walked closer to her, almost floating towards her.

Shia

"U drii nnn k doc trrr Mii k?" Came the sleepy voice from the inside of Allie's brand new land - a whole kingdom within his kingdom.
Curious blinks welcomed his look as she was laying on her side, unruly fingers rubbing dreams away from her eyes and face. She could watch him for long minutes, like a sculptor watches its model before taking any actions.
Somehow it shocked her to see a doctor getting close to alcohol like this, though she heard myths of stress on physicians' shoulders, it was something totally else to meet one consuming spirit instead of using it to sterilize.
Resting under the large blanket she seemed nothing more from the spot Michael was sitting than a pair of smiling pupils.

Misery

With a jerk he sits up from the computer, barely registering what she said beyond saying something.  He turns and looks at her curled contently in her blanket.  He suddenly realizes what she asks and he looks at the gin &  tonic in his hand.  A sad look crosses his face before replying, “Unfortunately I do enjoy a drink on occasion.”  He did not want to concern her with his occasion being nightly.   Setting the glass aside he stands and checks to see that she is okay.  Resting the back of his hand along her cheek he asks, “Are you feeling okay?”  His touch tender.  “Did you sleep well?” he asks.

The room was already feeling like hers in just the short time she has been there.  He only hoped it would truly last.

Shia

"I wa ss drimmm g a bu tt sprrrn ggg enn d flo wwr s... sso yss I gu ss" she smiled and looked over his tall figure that was now sitting at the edge of her bed.
Having him close again immediately created that magic atmosphere between the two whenever they shared moments like this. And though they only had a short history it felt like a very treasurable and detailed one.
"Wh ttt yuu ty pppe?" Alliana moved forward with a question and parallely with this the story of a blighted arctic expert and a very warming alien girl continued as well, a new post appearing...

'Suddenly they were standing INSIDE of the humble container-building. Like it was her bare gaze that made them break through physical walls, not to mention those straining between their cultures. How was it even possible they understood each other speaking? - beginning with this question. And as he was watching her more carefully, replying:
"This place was not always a 'barren hell', like you say, human son."
he could notice her lips were NOT moving!
Two phenomena like this, nonsense and madness, travelling through solid reality and speaking without any actual sound would have been too much for anybody. But somehow her restless smile, soft and reassuring made him believe all this was normal, moreover average.'

Misery

Sitting there on the edge of the bed felt surreal for Michael.  Still grasping in his mind that she here living in his house.  Resting a comforting hand on her blankets in the approximate location of her leg.  Unable to recall the last time he dreamed something so pleasant, he says “Such a wonderful dream.  Do you always have them? “ even in a melancholy mood just moments ago, his smile returns instantly just looking into her eyes.  He adds, "Some day I would like to hear some more of your dreams."

Her question caught him off guard.  He debates within himself if this is something he should or want to share.  Writing or in this case writing with a partner is something deeply personal and provides some healing.  He would be sadden to lose his one outlet from the utter feeling of being alone.  Quickly deciding that he wanted to share this with her and likely she would see right through his lie anyway.  He was not very good at it.   “I like to write, but..but it is not like writing a novel.  Kind of hard to explain, really I am writing a story with another person.”  He left out that this other person was a woman.

Shia

For a few seconds she seemed to look somewhere else as Michael mentioned writing together with somebody else, but that could be simply a sign of thinking or gathering some strength...? He could feel the spasmodic little moves of her legs as she prepared herself to speak - even those limbs strained as her lips parted, she was literally talking with her full body, there was not a single cell that wasn't there in her communication, seemingly. But when it happened, it was surprisingly short, even from Alliana Stewart.
And that kind "Cool" was quickly followed by the arrival of Francis, their evening cut into two by that: they stopped being those who gently teased and pleased each other, even through the distance her condition and his many lonely years created, and continued to be doctor and patient, simply a landlord and his protege...

Misery

His eyes grow concerned as he feels just how much of a struggle it is on her body to talk.  As she replies just a simple one word, a curious look crossed Michael’s face at her so very brief answer.   Opening his mouth to question her on such as strange response, Francis arrives back from her trip from the hospital.  Jumping off the edge of the bed like some teenager that was doing something he should not have.  Flashing Francis a smile he asks, “So how was the trip? Did you get everything?  Is there anything I can help get from the car?”  Already forgetting their conversation he gives Alliana a friendly squeeze and moves forward to help Francis bring anything left out in the car in.

Leaving the comfort he felt when being around her was difficult.  Just sitting in close proximity gave him a feeling he really was not so alone.  Even though he was those moments with her were like little gifts that were to be treasured and held onto.  Sighing as he walks to the car,  someday it will be his turn to share his life with.

Shia

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
Both women seemed to be restless souls as he got the chance to get to know them better. Francis was uncompromising with the questions of cooking and laundry in the house and insisted to do all that herself, and Allie was the same in connection with finding a job. Even her caretaker managed to find something like that, as after her precious daughter was prepared for the night many time she left for one of the neighbouring houses to babysit - payment was better in such late hours and she knew her protege didn't mind some private time, especially that she spent that in front of her PC. Alliana took care of Michael's website as one of the most beloved general doctors of the area, her idea was to build a 'kid's corner' at his site, and paralelly she tried hard, again and again until she was accepted as a journalist of a propering art&style magazine.
Which meant weekly program, sometimes even more occasions a week, when she was transported to a newly opened exhibition or the opening itself, alongside with a photographer, and she had to give a full report later.
She could have used her uncle's name, yes, she could have made a benefit from his life-work quickly, but instead she chose to try an alias and relay only on her own studies and experience as somebody who spent years in the home of a university professor and also was his travel companion.
It was a difficult game, first because of the high number of applicants, then because of her distorted speech then because of stereotypes about disabled people. But she fought on and when her future boss met this steely young woman he gave every tool to serve and help her plus always did the favour and not only praised but criticized her as well, as often as he could actually, polishing her writing skills and pride enthusiasticly.
She always worked alone, never she let her two caretakers to accompany her.
This was her practice.

Though Christmas was an exception, when all the three of them were invited to a party at Michael's former mentor's house. To be honest all of them were disguised that night, Francis still keeping her non-nun existence as a secret, Doctor Austin still hiding his feelings from the girl he loved and Alliana still forced to play the role of a dumbo when she wasn't, wasn't at all, only her speaking abilities and weird gestures made other think she was, creating a rare air around her that only a few was able to bear. And even her juvenile journalist past couldn't change this, as problem was in people's perception not in her way of living. So she rather stayed the author behind the articles, using Fran's surname, and besides those events she had toparticipate at, and a few other program together with close friends or former students of Henry Stewart and of course, Francis, she hardly left the house, except for therapies, both physico- and the other one in water. Plus they got a new professionalist for her, visiting twice a week, a speech therapist who was now working as a rhetoric tutor in a nearby theater, a funny Italian man, who had the same passion for singing as for words, and so the two quickly found a common obsession: Verdi.
Tonio's opinion was that the first people were singing instead of speaking and like this he often cured his clients with that, saying: carefree chanting relaxes muscles and makes us believe 'we can'. And despite the fact Alliana's developement was slow and halting, he definitely made their friend more cheerful and less shy - measuring it from how happily she was healing herself with singing, even when she was alone.

And approximately once a week they made love to each other with Michael - without knowing about this fact...

Misery

Having the two wonderful ladies move in had been such a blessing in disguise.  What started out as doubt and uncertainty turned quickly to a family of sorts.  Fran has practically taken over the all the functions of running a house, which if it were up to Michael he would live out of his entertainment room letting the rest of the house to whatever fate dictated.  How he had lived without Fran in the past he will never know.  Alliana had come so far in such a short time.  Now having one of the best websites in the area thanks to the great work she had done.  He liked to think of himself as understanding technology but what she did with the site was stunning.

His practice had flourished over the months the word of mouth is a powerful thing.  Most his patients simply want someone that cares.  With more patients his trips to the hospital are much less than they were in the past. Missing those refreshing breaks to simply walk through and talk to people but his skills was needed elsewhere.  With a successful practice his influence in the community was also growing.  More than once he had to make an excuse or another to not attend some event.  The invitations were coming more frequently.  The only one accepted was to his mentors party, that was more uncomfortable than one could imagine.  That night was utter torture, in his eyes Alliana was absolutely beautiful that night.  That night he realized his feelings for her were more than a curiosity or a figment of just being alone.  He confided in no one nor would he ever act on those feelings risking her trust in him. 

After that night, Michael attempted to meet someone and it was an utter disaster.  The entire night was torture, the food and conversation were excellent but his mind continually drifted.  His date for the evening was simply unable to engage his attention for more than a few minutes.  His thoughts would continually drift to some moment when Alliana made a joke and her eyes would light up at his discomfort.  For a month or so after that there was an awkwardness around that house that he simply could not place but he knew it was there and that bothered him greatly.

The bite of loneliness had its teeth fully secure in him.  However most of the time it was tempered some by having the company of both Alliana and Fran for company.  It was the worse at night lying in bed alone, not able to roll-over and hold someone tight.  A couple drinks at night in private helped to forget.   He felt uncomfortable drinking so frequently around anyone lest they begin to question.  A little gin would at least allow him to sleep.  At first he would lye at night and stare for hours at the ceiling holding himself.  His mind unable to let her go, her eyes the way they sparkled every time she would tease him over one thing or another. 

The improvements have been nothing but stellar, her job brought an excitement to the house.  Her need to do it on her own was so rewarding.  Improvements were made everyday, and the tutor was a good man.  Michael would leave the house on some errand whenever he was around.  Seeing her laugh and sing with Tonio was difficult but the progress was unmistakable.  It was simply better for him to not be there.   

Shia

And it was an evening like that when he arrived home - and that serenading spagetti-monster was already gone. It came as a luck he had to work a little longer because of some bloody paper work and so no excuses, Michael could simply stay away from the house with a very loud Signor Tonio in it.
Yet his escape ended when the familiar buzzing sound was quit right in front of his entertainment room -and he left the door open-, a cheerful voice touching his back gently as he was making stirring moves with another glass of gin.
"You drink a bit too mch, Doctrrr Mik" Alliana's words still sounded a bit weird, as she only used the left side of her mouth to form them, but her way of speaking was getting more and more clear and easy with every passing week. "Don'ttt u thnk?"
Her fragile but by now healthily full figure was resting still under a handwaved blanket in her chair, dressed in her favourite pair of blue jeans and pinkish jumper they bought together with Fran. Its delicate cleavage and the one single butterfly-pattern above the heart suited her perfectly, just like the shiny brown hair which the nun cut a little shorter and recently Allie was wearing it in a tricky knot only they knew how to make.

"Tonio sss a happy marrd man with fivvve childrnnn. Besides.. he's Italinnn. They donnn t know divorce." She moved closer a bit but still paused at the place of the missing door-step. "So.. you don ttt have to run so far."
She was patient, she was soft, just two warm brown eyes trying to add to his evening - never to take away. Taking the straw between her lips she sipped herself from the cup that was placed into a holder.
"See? I won't lttt you drink alonn."
Oh, how much she wished she could jump on her feet and gave him shelter in her arms, to chase away all his loneliness and tell him she IS the solution for all his problems - but who was she to say something like that? Who was she to imagine a successfull physician would ask for a mate like her?...
So once again, Alliana just played the clown for her secret One...

Misery

Even when she is questioning his drinking, hearing her voice was like a salve to his heart.  Staring at his drink, he replies, “You are probably right.”  Setting his drink aside for the moment he turns to face her with a large smile lights up his face.  His thoughts wander on just how much of a beautiful woman she has grown into in such a short time.  His smile pauses as his eyes linger over her body.  With his smile blooming again, he comments “I see you received a haircut. I really like how you have it done.”  Working hard to redirect the conversation to something other than his glass of gin.  Michael knew that he should lay off of the nightly glass for a while, but seeing her glowing with life only makes it harder.  His thoughts are almost always distracted with thoughts of her.  At one point he thought it would get easier seeing her everyday, but instead it only gets harder.

“Pfft, A man is a man. I will admit that the progress you are making is wonderful, but with as beautiful as you are he would be a fool to not be attracted.”  Fearing he may have said to much he turns slowly grabbing his gin and taking a sip.  “Run? Me? Who would I run from?” he tried not to sound cynical but he couldn’t understand why he just didn’t tell her after all this time how he really felt.  He laughs lightly and tips his glass in her direction, “Cheers.”  Taking another sip.   Standing he walks toward Alliana, he wants to hold her, kiss her, tell her how deep his feelings are for her.  Instead he rests his hand on her arm, “Alliana, I simply do not know what I would do without you around.  You bring a smile to sour man with just your presence. Thank you.”   Just holding her arm, was so very comforting.   Kissing her forehead, “I think it is time I called this a night.  Sweet dreams love.”   The last of those words simply rolled from his tongue as natural as walking.  He heads for the stairs to sleep.

Shia

For a few seconds she just let him walk, walk, go away, listening to the harmonic sounds of his well measured, almost wise steps like so many times before, even without turning the chair. The word, 'love', was still lingering around her and everywhere in this fine air of old books and clean carpets, begging to bet let in, under her skin, into her thoughts... and she was nothing but rejection first. But then...
"Michll!" She raced after him, stopping him halfway in his climbing upstairs. "Michall..."
When he didn't see and hear it she repeated that word, more times, to herself to taste and embrace - and now she should repeat that for him... but she wasn't able to, simply couldn't. Only his name was left for her, and Alliana tried to fill it with as much emotion as her heart could keep and bear. Her voice dashing after him, wrapping around his shoulders desperately... For what was visible: a few teardrops on her cheeks, waiting, waiting for him.

Misery

Partially up the stairs something compels him to look over his shoulder. Alarmed at what he sees, “Alliana, are you okay?” rushing back down the stairs, he quickly kneels in front of her and gently wipes the tears from her cheeks with his thumbs.  “What…What is wrong?”  Concern was written all over his face.  Oblivious to the real nature of her feelings, concern etched deeply in his face, “Alliana, please you can tell me, I would hope before anyone else.”   He runs his hands along her arms reassuringly to provide comfort for her, but it gave him strength to be strong for her. 

He was patient; looking into her eyes he could see a sadness that simply should not be there. 

Shia

"Gd nighttt, lovv."
That was all she said finally, after long moments of hard silence and scared looks, Michael's is as fearful as hers, pausing close to the first stair, that maybe things get worse, somehow, too suddenly...!
But truth was they've just turned all right, very all right. Now that all was said aloud, his feelings, her feelings.
The circle completed, hopes turning into blossoms.
Asking for shelter under his arms tears kept on running on her cheeks as Alliana was smiling at him, moved, embarrassed, excited - everything!

Misery

His eyes widen slightly, did he hear her right?  Did she mean it they way he hoped she did?  Unthinking he slowly edges himself closer to her.  As his lips draw closer to her, his eyes close in anticipation of what he could only dream of before.   As his lips first touch her soft lips, so many emotions race through his body, lust, love, joy, sadness.  The kiss was so very short but everything he has felt over so very many months wrapped into that single kiss.  Realization quickly dawns on what he had just done, his eyes grow wide as he pulls back from her mumbling an apology, “I…I..am so…. sorry, I should not have.”   

Lowering his head to look into her lap with silence drawing deeper, “Alliana, I need to tell you something, that …..well something I should have told you long ago, but simply could not.”  Taking a deep breath Michael begins, “over the last months that you have lived here, they have been such a wonderful experience and….and I have come to realize you mean much more to me than just a roommate or family.   I have tried to deny it and drink it away but.  I don't know....I know that my feelings do not belong but to deny them any longer….I simply can’t.”  A tear slips down his cheek almost begging, “please do not think any less of me for how I feel.”

Shia

Smiling with a generous, kind expression she gathers all her strength and focus simply to lift her left hand to his cheek... mopping away that tear with the back of her palm, a wonderful benefit of all her tryings and fight for freedom, the result of long, sometimes even painful hours exercising, practicing basic gestures again and again and again.
"Ssss.. don tttt speekkk too much, dearssst.. That isss nttt nece sss arrri.. 'caussse I see u... anddd I lovv u..."
Dragging her body from the backrest Alliana lets herself lean forward... suddenly loosing balance and finally bumping into Michael's chest with a sweet chuckle, at least sweet for the doctor's ears.
"See? So mccch likk thiss."
Situation is awkward - but just perfect for the two of them!

Misery

His eyes close as her soft hand touches his cheek to wipe away his tear.  With a look of sadness, “Thank you.”  He takes her hands in his own for more comfort for himself. 

He slowly recognizes what she says, and his heart screams with joy hearing her share her feelings, tears role freely down his cheek.  His tears this time were expressing the sheer joy.  His smile glows as he holds her tightly in his embrace.  Whispering into her hair as he holds her, “Oh Alliana, to hear you say those words makes me so happy.  I love you.  I have for so long.”   Not wanting to ever let go he relaxes his embrace and looks her into her eyes before slowly kissing her again, this time the emotions that are swirl through his body race through his kiss. 

Shia

The kiss, The Kiss she doesn't break only returns as much as she can use her lips she uses them to tell how much she meant it, caressing his face with her fingertips now that he holds her arm and hand for her.
Everything feels so easy now! Light and bright and without a taste of bitterness. If there was rain clouding their sky - it stops. If there was a storm in their souls that stole nights' peace from them - it's quit.
Only smile and laughter remain, again they are those excited sixteen year olds, in a very old house they begin to re-live their youth, being reborn in each other's arms. What he planned to do, to leave for upstairs seemingly falls out of his head and they are so burried into their private summer they don't even notice Francis returning from her babysitting, nor her polite leaving through the same door, once she wrote a joyful post-it, sticking it on the fridge.

'Congratulations, kids :) See you in the morning. Love: Mom'

She always leaves notes signing like this to Alliana.
This was the most she could give to her. And what she saw at the foot of the stairs was the most she could hope.

Misery

Slowly separating from the most wonderful kiss he ever experienced there was no sadness only joy knowing that her lips were for him and his for her.  With stars dancing before his eyes, he looks into her eyes and says, “That was so magical.  You are so beautiful.”  Nothing exists but her right now. The house could crash around them and as long as she is in his arms he is content. 

As the clock strikes midnight he pulls back slightly, “It is getting late for us both, can escort you to your room?”  Feeling much like he did when he was in High School, all awkward with words and fumbling for meaning.  It has been so long since he held or so much as even kissed a woman much less one as beautiful as Alliana, he was so unsure of himself. 

Shia

Just like Allie doubted herself, in every second moment, especially when he gave her that look.
Something like this never happened in that house since they lived together. Such a late hour and Francis nowhere!... Of course, Michael was perfectly able to do everything around her to prepare their fairy-girl for the night but now that events took a strange turn like this even the most earthly acts between them were spiced with something very special.

She pulls back too, confusion and a little embarrassment spoiling these most precious moments as she finds her favourite nun is still out. Somewhere else...
"I... Whrr isss Frra ann?? I needd her hel pp."
But that post-it is still striking there on the door of the fridge, waiting for one of them to find.
And so Life didn't let her slip away just because she needed a little extra care. Wise Francis Keller knew why her daughter kept her distance and worries deep in her heart instead of simply returning Doctor Austin's feelings. She knew exactly how ashamed Alliana felt because of her condition -also because it was her who generated that once- and that she would have been able to see him choose somebody else only to avoid becoming a burden on his carrier.
So she had to do something - and she did...

Misery

Concern and uncertainty crosses his face as she pulls away before it occurs to him her concern and he blushes, “No..No, I …I  didn’t mean….I am sorry I simply meant to walk you to your room.  I will fetch Fran.  I am sure she is here somewhere.”   The moment evaporates before their eyes Michael stands but his hands never leave her, “Let me get Fran.” 

Walking to Fran’s room he knocks gently on her door, he says “Fran?”  Strange that she would not answer normally she is quick to answer.  Walking back from her room with a confused look on his face, he looks to Alliana, “She is not in her room.  She should have been back from babysitting by now.”  Concern grows in his voice as he paces through the house calling out her name.  Making his way to the kitchen he catches the note from the corner of his eye.  Pulling the note from the door he reads the note and reads it a second time.  His cheeks turn deep red as realization sets in what it means.  He walks slowly to back to Alliana with a half a smile on his lips.  Handing her the note he says, “I don’t think she will be home tonight.”

Shia

For long moments she's just staring at the small piece of paper between her slightly trembling fingers, its vivid yellow and Francis' nicely formed letters capturing her gaze... - that half-smile is there, on her face too, now that the nun's plan is finally revealed.
"It'sss bcauss I..... I thoghttt... u coulld nevrr lovv a womannn likkk me."
Alliana confesses. No matter how much it shocks him, hurts him, surprises him, Michael has the right to know the truth, all her silly fears, her worries about their future together.
"I knoww u arrr a docttor.. but it'sss ntt romanti ccc at a lll..." - she quits speaking then, dropping her head back against the headrest, like a climber who finally reached the peak of the mountain.
From this point things can only get easier, she sighs, closing her eyes, still to escape from reality...

Misery

“Alliana” he whispers and takes her chin in his hands, “I want to be with you, I love you!.  I want to be a part of your life for as long as you want me.”  He stares into her fearful eyes, “There is nothing to be scared of.  Romantic?  How is not holding you on the balcony under the stars not romantic? Or holding you on the terrace?”   He flashes her a warm smile, “and the most wonderful part is I am holding you close to me.”  He pulls her close and gives her a tender kiss.  “I have fears as well, but to be with you is worth the risk of my fears.”  He gently kisses her again with such compassion.  The music from their lips is a symphony to his ears.

Shia

Yet she hissed and turned her face away, upset or no: rather frustrated, her left fist hitting the armrest helplessly. Only once - but that expressed everything.
"But couplsss wan tttt to walk unnn ddd rr thhh sta asss, Mikk!"
When she was stressed her tongue still tended to let her down more and so by the end of her outburst Allie's words crashed on each other, melting into an unrecognisable cloud of things to say and nervously she turned the chair away from him, beginning to ride towards the main door.
Away, away!...

- That was the first time when he saw it.
A greenish sticker close to one of the motoric wheels, quite low, just above the floor. Who could place it there, and why??... 

Misery

Incredibly confused by her frustration, he stammers to try to explain but ends up simply sitting there quietly unsure of himself.  He tries to explain that he loves her for who she is but he is confused and it has been so long since he has been in any situation even close to this. 

Realizing where she is headed he jumps to stop her noting briefly the sticker.  “Alliana wait.”  He pleads, “I am sorry, I know Fran has a cell phone, I can call her to come home but please don’t leave.”  The sadness in his voice was apparent from the turn of events but the last thing he wanted was her leaving the house.  “I cannot say that I understand how you feel.  I can’t, but I can say that I would do everything I can to have the best therapists work with you to help as much as I can. Whether that is enough for you is for you to decide. Please”

Shia

Giving in at last she stops, leaning above the armrest she rubs her face with her left fingers.
Enough! Enough!...
Pondering then, searching for a few words to make things right again, to bring back The Mood they were fighting so hard to reach her lips begin to move even before she speaks.
All right then...
Slowly she turns back to him - that pander smile hiding in the corner of her mouth again, she's Alliana again, yes!
"U'rrr right.. We cannn still wakkk undrr the starrs.. You'll walll k and I'll wwatch."

To call Fran and report and emergency would have been the greatest mistake lovers could ever commit...

Misery

His smile glows once again as she talks of watching the starts.  “Alliana, as I said we are both scared of what the future may hold for us.  I simply want to enjoy each day we have together whatever that may be.”  He knelt again in front of her and took her hands gently into his.  Rubbing them reassuringly he brings them to his lips and kisses each hand lightly.  “I can sense you are a little uncomfortable, where as before you were not.   If you prefer I not take you to your room, I will understand.”  He was treading carefully, not wanting to push her away again. 

Shia

With a mischievous smile she leaned closer, and focusing hard her soft lips planted a long kiss on his forehead - months before she wouldn't have been able to do such a stunt but growing in Fran's loving attention and this man's perfect care everything seemd possible - especially now, standing at the other side of the door called love.
"Pllse ddo take me."
This was her magic word to chase those worries far away, so far that they could never return. This was Alliana's first 'I do' by his side and for the first time she was grateful not having Francis at home with them. Great souls know when to leave and when to come back.
The fact this night she only had him to help her was replaced by another:
this was their first night together as a couple.

Misery

His entire being glows with delight with her allowing him to escort her to her room.  Gliding her chair to the doorway of her room stopping only just inside the door frame.  With the chair locked he cautiously at first goes to lift her from her chair.  As he lifts her to his chest his love and care overshadow and further cautiousness that he has left.

Walking to her bed he gently sets her down onto her bed, his eyes lock onto hers.  Slowly his face grows nearer to hers until they are but only a breath away from her lips.  With a steadying breath he closes the distance to their lips touch, the softness  of her touch flows through his body.

Shia

As much as she could, strengthened by her feelings, Alliana wrapped her left arm around him - never wanting to let go, once they were standing at the end of their hard journey, finally.
"Wll u stay witth me?" She whispered, this time weakening by her feelings, by his presence, breathing in the warmth their love created, faces touching, lips touching, souls entwining.
Time seemed to stop, spaces melting into one, gates opening.

Misery

With a whisper he replies, “Of course I will, nothing on this Earth would make me happier.”  Their lips touching again, his arms embrace her lovingly guiding his way to lie next to her.  He silently sighs into her lips as he body settles next to hers.  His heart rages inside him just to be this close to her and to feel love once again be returned was almost more than he could bear.  He can feel the heat light up his cheeks with their touch.  The magic of that moment would live within his heart for the rest of his life.