Restoring balance (D&D 3.5)

Started by ulthakptah, April 29, 2012, 02:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulthakptah

Okay, I'm not currently running any games, and I have lots of free time, so let's do this.

I have a craving for a good old "save the world" stories. So here is a the basics of it. All the nations are aligned together under one Queen, living in peace and harmony. Things aren't going to stay like that for long. And it's up to 3-5 fated heroes to team up and save the day.

This game will not be first come first served. Players will be starting a level 5, 32 point buy, and standard wealth for 5th level. Along with a character sheet I would like some background and character history.

RabbitJanitor

Alright I'm interested, Ill get to work on a Sorcerer character.
Any restrictions on Races?

Silk

As much as I would love to join in this, I'm really rusty when it comes to DnD 3.5 :(

Zaer Darkwail

I am curious for any limits of sourcebooks and such. But I wonder would you have problems with PC who follows Zarus?

ulthakptah

Quote from: RabbitJanitor on April 30, 2012, 02:09:10 PM
Alright I'm interested, Ill get to work on a Sorcerer character.
Any restrictions on Races?
No restrictions
Quote from: Silk on April 30, 2012, 02:11:24 PM
As much as I would love to join in this, I'm really rusty when it comes to DnD 3.5 :(
Don't worry about it. Not like you need to know the rules on the spot. It's play by post you have plenty of time to look something up if you don't remember.
Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on April 30, 2012, 02:25:52 PM
I am curious for any limits of sourcebooks and such. But I wonder would you have problems with PC who follows Zarus?
that's fine, I allow most source books

Zaer Darkwail

Ok, if I play as follower of Zarus then I have four char choices and I let you guys do the picks (assuming none classes are banned) :). All are going to be LE male human as note.

1) Crusader of Zarus
A specifically the 'tank' guy with shield and longsword or go for greatsword. Either way provides some heavy hitting and healing and with GM's approval use homebrew variant to trade off 'Charisma to will saves' feature for Lay of Hands (similar to paladin).

2) Knight of Zarus Empire
A more better 'pure tanking' than crusader and more battlefield influence/control. Only annoying the fact that despite potential for great mounted combat I am limited to get good mount either by leadership feat or go blackguard.

3) Enlightened Fist of Zarus
A mix of monk and cleric and enter then enlightened fist PrC which combines both. A combat machine monk really with some clerical spells and very rigid in faith regarding Zarus teachings.

4) Marshal of Zarus Empire
A kind of 'strong leader' type despite no direct combat prowess improvement but helps others to become good and also can himself work good in offense with scimitar + shield approach and do some combat debufs (like impervious command via intimidate or dreadful wrath).

As note even if Zarus faith encourages to be racist towards non-humans I intent play my guy more as either 'warrior with own disciplines' and if going more religious route he would be more a missionary who preaches about his faith and beliefs instead choking you to accept them or such. Also even if Zarus faith specifically forbids procreate with non-humans, my char would view it meaning there is no problem in teaching non-humans accept to become servants of humans than show also in bedroom that they are superior race (so long no offspring comes from it).

Roleplay Frog

Dnd has a god of racism? I learn something new! Well after Evening Glory nothing can shock me. Can you tell us a bit more about what you plan to do in this scenario?

Latooni Subota

See, now a dnd 3.5 game I can get behind, since after the years I have massive chunks of the system commited to memory, lol. I can knock out the crunch easily enough that I'm willing to join.

Zaer: If I played a race that was part-human, instead of Zarus' thing about ACCURSED HALFBREED ABOMINATIONS, I assume you'd just treat me as another non-human at that point and be secure in your superiority and whatnot, just to make things go smoother?

I'll probably play something magick-y, or dextrous. Wizard-y types, Warlocks, etc. Is the Dragon Compendium allowed, so I can have really cool magic missile enhancements? :D

edit: Or maybe even something bow-n-arrow-y! We'll see.
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Silk

I'm debating a elf priestess of some variety, be it either the naturey druidy type, or the divine clericy type

ulthakptah

Quote from: Latooni Subota on May 02, 2012, 05:10:42 PM
See, now a dnd 3.5 game I can get behind, since after the years I have massive chunks of the system commited to memory, lol. I can knock out the crunch easily enough that I'm willing to join.

Zaer: If I played a race that was part-human, instead of Zarus' thing about ACCURSED HALFBREED ABOMINATIONS, I assume you'd just treat me as another non-human at that point and be secure in your superiority and whatnot, just to make things go smoother?

I'll probably play something magick-y, or dextrous. Wizard-y types, Warlocks, etc. Is the Dragon Compendium allowed, so I can have really cool magic missile enhancements? :D

edit: Or maybe even something bow-n-arrow-y! We'll see.
Dragon compendium is fine

ShadeOfGray

Would tome of battle material be allowed?
Between young and old, Between was and be
Between dark and light, Between you and me
This pleasant shade of gray.. (O/O)
(Idea Thread)

ulthakptah

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Latooni Subota on May 02, 2012, 05:10:42 PM

Well, I played in game where most were part of empire which disliked non-humans (not religious tempo as Zarus does) and we had a collared cat-girl who was half-human and half-feline. She weared concealing monk robes and she lived in humble life hoping that lifelong devout servitude cleanses her body from taint of non-human blood or repents her soul have better life in next cycle or elevated to sainthood despite her tainted blood.

So my char will consider you a abomination but not something to destroy or smite outright. He would try rub it constantly on you to shame your status and seek repentance from Zarus. N half-orc or half-elf would be safe from this nor half-dragon. Dragonblooded beings would be more viewed to have dirty tainted blood same way as most other settings would view someone to be a tiefling or fiend blooded.

Anyways Zarus is racist but it should be considered more as 'god of humanity' than just god of racism and genocide even if in most extreme cases it does encourage to such behavior. But Zarus aims to simply establish a world where humans are recognized both as a fact and truth to be top of the food chain. It encourages to be better than any non-human in their own field (like human beating a elf in graceful movement in dance or archery or beat a dwarf with smithwork example).

Latooni Subota

Lol, now I'm thinking about being a catgirl of some sort, since there's like three different races in-canon that are basically kinds of catgirls. XD

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Latooni Subota on May 03, 2012, 12:47:57 AM
Lol, now I'm thinking about being a catgirl of some sort, since there's like three different races in-canon that are basically kinds of catgirls. XD

Rofl, would you like make your char a catgirl which is collared as servant/slave for my Zarus char :D. He would be kind master, as after all Zarus does not encourage cruelty towards those who have embraced teachings of Zarus, may it be fellow human or non-human slave/servant. Of course any sexual relationship between us is forbidden taboo but as said already; my char could practice a bedroom sort conquest so long it's ensured no offspring are born from said activity. So example sterilized catgirl which cannot become pregnant would be safe bet satisfy your lusts upon and practice sex as form of domestication of a catgirl's feral wilder urges.

Latooni Subota

Haha, likely not one that's collared, and I'd have to find a good mix of picture and race to inspire me.

SeriousMoonlight

Definitely interested. Probably going to go with a Tiefling Cleric, should have my character sheet up before I go to bed.

On another note, I'm wondering how a lawful evil Zardus-worshipping character is going to fit into a campaign that's being described as a sort of "saving the world" story?
Hello, I'm Moon!
My preferred pronouns are they/them/their/theirs/themself! Thank you!
ONs and OFFs + Request Thread

Latooni Subota

The Zarus-worshipper didn't sound that evil to me. REALLY Lawful, but not evil. Even if he is evil, Lawful Evil is the best ally for fighting evil. They fight extra hard to save the world, so they can try to control it! :D

Zaer Darkwail

Lawful Evil Zarus worshipper views saving the world as his duty as if world is not saved all humans are going to die. So he can be zealous and savior as any paladin if not more so depending how deeply he is devoted to teachings of Zarus. Consider Zarus to be LG regarding towards humans and those submitted to human culture and teachings but LE towards everbody else.

Silk

I pretty much see them being very akin to cerberus from mass effect. We'll save that species, if its in humanitys best interest to do so.

Zaer Darkwail

Hmmm, kinda yes that sort scenario. But they would had refused to merge with synthentics as it would 'pollute' pure human genetics or structure. They have kinda strong ego's and beliefs about themselves being truly perfect alpha race (or descendants of one).

SeriousMoonlight

Alright, had my character sheet as a .PDF so I just uploaded it to my Dropbox, y'all can see it/download it right here. I hope I did everything right! If I missed anything, please let me know. But as for an in-depth appearance and background:

Seraph was abandoned as a child, like most Tiefling babies are, and knows nothing of her real parents (nor does she want to). Luckily for her, however, she was found by a small group of priests who worshipped Fharlanghn, and was taken in despite her fiendish blood. From a young age she was taught that the road is the best teacher, and developed a love for exploration. She felt more at home traveling than she did anywhere else. Her adolescence was pretty unremarkable - she lived a calm life with her fellow clerics, learned how to heal and gather herbs. At first, she was deeply ashamed of her heritage, but the neutral nature of her order has taught her that balance is what matters. The Clerics of the Dweller on the Horizon have been the only family she's ever needed, and while that means she doesn't have any friends outside of the order, she's okay with that. Seraph carries herself with a quiet composure and grace, something that is generally seen more as eerie than comforting. In spite of her appearance and general aura of unease, Seraph has managed to find work as a very talented healer at almost every town she stops into.

Seraph is nothing short of striking in appearance, as most Tieflings are. Her skin is an unnatural shade of pale white, cheeks occasionally tinted pink on the rare times she blushes. Her eyes are solid orbs of white, and are quite unnerving to look into. Not wishing to make people feel uncomfortable, she's learned to avert her gaze from people and often looks slightly down or to the side of people she's speaking to. Her hair is also the same shade of pale white, and falls in thick, curled ringlets around her head down to her chin. As if this wasn't a giveaway of her non-human lineage, the large ram-like horns sprouting out of her head cement it. She dresses very simply, in light armor that provides protection and mobility, covered by a green tabard, as is customary for clerics of Fharlanghn. At the moment, she's been traveling for a few years and continues to do so, seeking to explore and map her journeys so she can write down her tales for future generations.
Hello, I'm Moon!
My preferred pronouns are they/them/their/theirs/themself! Thank you!
ONs and OFFs + Request Thread

ulthakptah

Quote from: SeriousMoonlight on May 03, 2012, 06:51:51 AM
Alright, had my character sheet as a .PDF so I just uploaded it to my Dropbox, y'all can see it/download it right here. I hope I did everything right! If I missed anything, please let me know. But as for an in-depth appearance and background:

Seraph was abandoned as a child, like most Tiefling babies are, and knows nothing of her real parents (nor does she want to). Luckily for her, however, she was found by a small group of priests who worshipped Fharlanghn, and was taken in despite her fiendish blood. From a young age she was taught that the road is the best teacher, and developed a love for exploration. She felt more at home traveling than she did anywhere else. Her adolescence was pretty unremarkable - she lived a calm life with her fellow clerics, learned how to heal and gather herbs. At first, she was deeply ashamed of her heritage, but the neutral nature of her order has taught her that balance is what matters. The Clerics of the Dweller on the Horizon have been the only family she's ever needed, and while that means she doesn't have any friends outside of the order, she's okay with that. Seraph carries herself with a quiet composure and grace, something that is generally seen more as eerie than comforting. In spite of her appearance and general aura of unease, Seraph has managed to find work as a very talented healer at almost every town she stops into.

Seraph is nothing short of striking in appearance, as most Tieflings are. Her skin is an unnatural shade of pale white, cheeks occasionally tinted pink on the rare times she blushes. Her eyes are solid orbs of white, and are quite unnerving to look into. Not wishing to make people feel uncomfortable, she's learned to avert her gaze from people and often looks slightly down or to the side of people she's speaking to. Her hair is also the same shade of pale white, and falls in thick, curled ringlets around her head down to her chin. As if this wasn't a giveaway of her non-human lineage, the large ram-like horns sprouting out of her head cement it. She dresses very simply, in light armor that provides protection and mobility, covered by a green tabard, as is customary for clerics of Fharlanghn. At the moment, she's been traveling for a few years and continues to do so, seeking to explore and map her journeys so she can write down her tales for future generations.
You should use mythweavers or plothooks for your sheet. If not you will just have to keep uploading it every time you make a change to it.

Snake

Color me interested. though I'd have to maek a char the sheets I have are way too powerful to use off hand.

I was going with a human barbarian type or sorcerer.

Latooni Subota

Unless he disappeared, we already have a sorcerer, and I'm going wizard or warlock, so we got buckets of arcane. @.@

Edit: Gotta admit, it would be refreshing to see a well-made barbarian. Nobody seems to like making them these days :(