News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

RPGs you want to try but you doubt you'd get your Real Life Group to try.

Started by Callie Del Noire, May 26, 2011, 09:35:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

I am a fairly diverse player, and starting with a new group that from the sounds of it is very Fantasy only orientated. (Will post how things go after this weekend).

But there area a lot of games in my RPG Archive folder (45 gigs to date) and looking over the games last night I realized there are some games I REALLY want to try out but don't see selling to a new group out the gate.

-The Laundry (Charlie Stross' mix up for Espionage, Red Tape and the Mythos) and Delta Green
-Cyberpunk 2020
-Dresden Files
-Paranoia
-Mutants and Masterminds (have high hopes for this.. slipped in a suggestion to check out hero lab to a few of the players so far. :D )

Anyone got games they like but can't sell to their players. :D

rhev

Paranoia and Cyberpunk 2020 are games I've played in the past, I had a lot of fun with paranoia.

I'd love to find a group that could get into a Serenity RPG.  (captain mal ftw)

HairyHeretic

Any of the 40k ones (Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Deathwatch and the upcoming Black Crusade).
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Oniya

I've tried more than once to get an Earthdawn campaign going.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on May 26, 2011, 10:01:47 AM
I've tried more than once to get an Earthdawn campaign going.

Oh yeah.. great setting.. Played an Archer type in it for the LONGEST time.. two archers..one windling and mine (an elf) doiing the 'who killss the most' contest..  the Windling once did over 100 POINTS in one shot. Never saw that many maximum die rolls at one sitting.. (keeping in mind that your typical Windling arrow is the size of a swizzle stick) GM ruled it hit his foe,, went in one ear, out the other..and KILLED the next guy too!

TheGlyphstone

Exalted. Every story and campaign log I've ever read about it is like a non-stop roll of crazy epic awesome.

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Hemingway

Anything. RPGs aren't that big here, quite simply. I don't know anyone who's into them, at all.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: HairyHeretic on May 26, 2011, 02:10:48 PM
It is that. :) Exalted plays best in an over the top style.

I'd occasionally thought about trying to find someone willing to run an Exalted game on E, if only because it'd an excuse to actually write up Sidereal Marital Arts, the best typo in the history of Exalts ever.

Star Safyre

I wish I could play more Mouseguard and live-action oWoD Werewolf and Changling.  We have a few groups we play different things with, so I know I can't complain much.
My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

HairyHeretic

I've toyed with the idea of doing a Return of the Scarlet Empress game. PCs could be a mix of solars, Lunars, maybe sidereals and even abyssals.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: HairyHeretic on May 26, 2011, 02:55:46 PM
I've toyed with the idea of doing a Return of the Scarlet Empress game. PCs could be a mix of solars, Lunars, maybe sidereals and even abyssals.

That seems kind of weird, I mean.. with her back wouldn't the dragon blooded have access to a lot of the powerful weapons and such she had access to?

HairyHeretic

Yes and no.

I don't want to go into too much detail, and spoiler plot stuff that the campaign gives. If you're not interested in playing it, I can tell you a bunch of stuff via PM, or something?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: HairyHeretic on May 26, 2011, 03:37:27 PM
Yes and no.

I don't want to go into too much detail, and spoiler plot stuff that the campaign gives. If you're not interested in playing it, I can tell you a bunch of stuff via PM, or something?

That would be grand. I doubt I'll ever play another White Wolf game after they took the editor's chainsaw of mayhem to the oWoD. Till Hasbro's release of 4e it was the second worse 'revision' of a game setting/world/system I'd seen. Cyberpunk 20XX will always be #1.

meikle

Quote from: HairyHeretic on May 26, 2011, 02:55:46 PM

You'd put in Abyssals but not, like, the most obvious splat after Solars to be working counter to the Reclamation? :P
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Callie Del Noire

I would LOVE to do an oWoD table top game.. magi running around fighting for reality.

(Last game we had there was a paradox storm in the middle of a three way battle between the players, the Technocrats and a bunch of mauraders who just brought in a 'friend' from the deep umbra. A full on multi-story 'I eat Hit-Marks' dragon. Needless to say there was a LOT of fun, and in the morning the clean up crews from the Technocrats were lying their asses off.)

meikle

I've never been able to convince anyone that oWoD Ratkin would be an awesome game to play.

Much to my dismay.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: meikle on May 26, 2011, 06:12:51 PM
I've never been able to convince anyone that oWoD Ratkin would be an awesome game to play.

Much to my dismay.

I remember the first time we met a were in oWoD.. (remember this is like 1st edition Vampire). We were chasing down a suspected diabolist for the Prince of Charlotte NC and had followed this Gangrel up into the mounts above Ashville (the Tremere and Venture had our minions bus us up there during the day).

We run into this heavy set burly guy, lots of hair, who literally growled at us to leave town. Most of us had listened to the Prince and the phrase 'don't aggravate the locals' when we were told to check out this town. The Gangrel and Brujah of the group figured they could take him, they had ripped apart a pair of nasty vampire hunters the month before and figured that was what they were facing.

The were beat the Brujah to death with a VW VAN. Two hits. Smish.

meikle

Werecritters in WoD can be ... pretty brutal!

Wererats just had ridiculous dexterity scores, though, not so much strength.  I loved the artwork.  I liked that Ratkin were portrayed running around with machine guns and dynamite, not killing things with their claws and swords.

Like this: http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2482873720032288519jKqoQP

And you could get away with running a Ratkin where the entire plot was summarized with 'kill everything between point A and point B' and be totally in theme, since they hate the weaver and they hate the wyrm and they don't really give a damn about gaia either.

O and O and Discord
A and A

HairyHeretic

Quote from: meikle on May 26, 2011, 06:06:43 PM
You'd put in Abyssals but not, like, the most obvious splat after Solars to be working counter to the Reclamation? :P

If the Reclamation worked, Creation would never be dragged into the Underworld, so yes, I would see the Deathlords working against it :)

Given the scale of the game, I think Dragonbloods would be a bit outclassed, the Fae would probably wait til everyone else had fought to exhaustion, then move in, and the Transformers wouldn't really feature :P

Cattle die, kinsmen die

meikle

Quote from: HairyHeretic on May 26, 2011, 06:44:18 PM
If the Reclamation worked, Creation would never be dragged into the Underworld, so yes, I would see the Deathlords working against it :)

Given the scale of the game, I think Dragonbloods would be a bit outclassed, the Fae would probably wait til everyone else had fought to exhaustion, then move in, and the Transformers wouldn't really feature :P

I'm referring to Infernals as the most obvious splat after Solars -- I'm pretty sure that a fair number of them would give up on working with the Reclamation as soon as it became clear to them just where they'd feature in the Yozis' ideal world (or even as they started to consider where they'd probably feature ...) :P

O and O and Discord
A and A

HairyHeretic

I don't actually have that one. None of my group would be interested in playing an Infernal, so I never picked the book up.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

meikle

Quote from: HairyHeretic on May 26, 2011, 06:50:11 PM
I don't actually have that one. None of my group would be interested in playing an Infernal, so I never picked the book up.

Oh man, that is disappointing.  It's definitely regarded as one of the tightest books (mechanically, at least), and I meant that in the sense that it is well-crafted, not in the oh man so tight sense of the word.

Beyond that, though, Infernals are pretty integral to the Reclamation plot, aren't they?

O and O and Discord
A and A

HairyHeretic

They'd be doing a lot during it, yes. I don't see them on the same side as the solars mind you :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Callie Del Noire

And of course how could I forget my two favorite Gurps settings.

IOU and Discworld (Oook!)