News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Repopulation(Interest check: Light)

Started by Samzilla, April 05, 2010, 08:44:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Samzilla

I assembled this idea with a friend in the past, but it never panned out. The basic premise is that aliens discover the earth, unfortunately they discover that it is also soon to be horribly destroyed. Having no time to evacuate the population, they send a 6-12 scouts out to random points on the planet, with instructions to pick up a genetically diverse group of men and women, likely with more women than men, that they judge to be the fittest to continue the species. Now, I'm not looking for the usual cast of professional athletes and body builders.

These enlightened aliens are likely to select for intellectual success, and I'd be looking for a group of 18-30 year olds, filled with doctors and scientists alongside college students and young army officers. None of the cast are likely to be of the same race, either, plucked from all over the world. The characters we'd thought up included a russian officer, and a sexy ebony doctor from south africa. I encourage creative ideas.

This diverse group, plucked from earth in its dying moments, would be transferred to a tropical area of a new planet, and, after taking a few samples, instructed to repopulate their species. They'd be given a free hand in developing their new civilization, with aliens only stepping in if they are in danger, so the game would involve them setting up some sort of civilization. I'm starting this thread to get an idea of interest, and see if enough people have cool character ideas to set this up.

playfullchick76

Miles Trent

As am I. From what I have just read, the first thing that comes to mind is a mix of the Lost series and The Day The Earth Stood Still movie. If I were given a choice of what character to play as, I think I may go as one of the aliens.

..... Jellyfish......  :D
Using a real person's picture is like stealing their soul.... Consult your local roleplay doctor before proceeding. :D
My O & Os
GM One on One Thread

Xiddeus

I like the Russian soldier, a hardliner with a distinct survival instinct.
For want of something better to say... sometimes nothing is best.

ONs and OFFS
Plot ideas
Apologies & Absences
The Oath!

Samzilla

Well, I was thinking the aliens would make themselves scarce, with most of the game focusing on the characters making their way in their tropical paradise.

Miles Trent

Hmm, in that case, I'll guess Ill sit by this one. Its an interesting idea though.
Using a real person's picture is like stealing their soul.... Consult your local roleplay doctor before proceeding. :D
My O & Os
GM One on One Thread

Jarod1

I'm interested in this one as well.  I could see playing a College student, or an american soldier have to think about it a little more though

Dalamara

I'd be interested in this, could play a female doctor or student from scotland perhaps? 

Samzilla

Scottish accents are cool!

Another really cool aspect of the game is all the accents flying. I'm hoping to get 3-4 ladies interested to 2-3 men. Poor men aren't quite as necessary to have en masse for repopulation.

Urbanzorro

I'm interested. Wouldn't mind playing a centrial american scientist, or perhaps a soldier from that area. But it seems as if there are already going to be quite a few soldiers. Is there any specific info you'd want for a character?
I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

playfullchick76

Ok, I'm in. I would play a female member of the US Marshall service.

Dashenka

I'm in too! Shame the Russian guy is taken already... Ya priyezzhayu, chtoby ukrast' sekretnyye dokumenty!

Hehe... I can think of another good character though... probably an athletic survival instructor or something... she could be a 'guide' on the new planet?
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

Carlissa

Oh! RP based on pregnancy!!!...Sort of.

I wanna be an Asian collage student!
"Damn kids doing work. Back in my day we worked 18 hours a day and still had time for 12 hours of fun before a solid 8 hours of sleep in 24 hours".

gnoah

Any room for a Male Scandinavian Psychiatrist?  A Big ole Lumbering Gentle Giant, who cares about how you, yeah you, are feeling, don't cha know.

Wolfy

Any room for an American (or Australian. :P) Zoologist/Biologist?

Saerrael

*Taps chin in thought*

I'll be keeping an eye on this to see how this evolves.
If I join, I'll toss in a Dutch girl. Bit torn about the study/ profession still.

Jarod1

Yeah I'm still working on a profession myself.  I am going to be an American I know that for sure.  I'm leaning towards a survivalist.  Someone of a similar arch type to John Locke from the TV series Lost.  Perhaps he was also a writer of the subject. 

either that or a Marine still thinking though

Wolfy

I think I'll be an Australian Zoologist.

Too many Americans already..LOL.

Samzilla

I think we're a bit overloaded on males at the moment, I'm afraid we're probably not going to fit everybody. I was thinking at most 4 males, really. I don't want the group bloating out of control and getting unwieldy.

Wolfy

D:..Well..I guess I'm getting cut, aren't I? T_T

Samzilla

I don't know. I'll probably run applications and pick the most interesting/ diverse group, depending on how much interest I get.

Wolfy

Soo..I still have a Shot? :D...

Every group needs a Zoologist/Biologist....:P

Saerrael

I really can't come up with a profession or study area. Technology is what theNetherlands is known for, but that's so.. dull in my eyes. Would Art be a good field? I know it's not very science-y. *ponders*

Carlissa

"Damn kids doing work. Back in my day we worked 18 hours a day and still had time for 12 hours of fun before a solid 8 hours of sleep in 24 hours".

Samzilla

Sciencey is not required. I just wanted a tropical paradise of students, doctors and artists, rather than a bunch of musclebound jocks, which is rather common here. Anything an enlightened alien race would find valuble can qualify. Creativity is invited! You might even have a starving artist or sculptor who is undiscovered and brilliant, whose strange style appealed to to the aliens. Just musing!

Edit: and on pregnancy, It's likely to happen, though I don't expect us to center on it. I don't think anyone would start pregnant, either.

Saerrael

Quote from: Samzilla on April 05, 2010, 09:37:16 PM
Sciencey is not required. I just wanted a tropical paradise of students, doctors and artists, rather than a bunch of musclebound jocks, which is rather common here. Anything an enlightened alien race would find valuble can qualify. Creativity is invited! You might even have a starving artist or sculptor who is undiscovered and brilliant, whose strange style appealed to to the aliens. Just musing!

You got yourself a Dutch Artist then! I'll have to fill in the blanks still, but the rough idea stands before my mind's eye.

Xiddeus

I can add that my Character has a flair for poetry.   Make him the sensitive type soldier.  Not so hardliner, but the leadership skills found in military service could come quite handy, and besides surely the aliens would want these people to govern themselves later.  Or are they merely a zoo for the aliens?  Duh-dunuh!   >:)
For want of something better to say... sometimes nothing is best.

ONs and OFFS
Plot ideas
Apologies & Absences
The Oath!

Jarod1

If I'm one of the chosen I'll go with a writer.  Would you like us to submit bio's to you through the PM system to choose from?

Urbanzorro

If you don't mind would you please list which male players 'made the cut' ?
I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Samzilla

Noone's applied yet! I'll probably set up a formal applications thread tomorrow.

Dashenka

Quote from: Saerra on April 05, 2010, 09:18:12 PM
I really can't come up with a profession or study area. Technology is what theNetherlands is known for, but that's so.. dull in my eyes. Would Art be a good field? I know it's not very science-y. *ponders*

They are also known for something else.... something that is greater than any other part of the world...

Bureaucracy...

Anyway, I'm still open to play a female survivalist. I don't really care from which country I am. If that doesn't fit, I could always play a musician or something..

playfullchick76

Jarod1

I think the ladies are probably fine.  Its the men he wants less of.

Samzilla

I at least want gender balance, but for both genders, the applications are also a way to ensure a diverse group, occupationally and genetically.

I'll try to write up a proper applications thread tonight.

Jarod1

Ghostly

I like the starving artist idea... still looking for ladies?

Struggling Hawaiian artist.

Saerrael

Quote from: Dashenka on April 06, 2010, 02:31:57 AM
They are also known for something else.... something that is greater than any other part of the world...

Bureaucracy...

Do you have a permit for your statement? ;p

I'm Dutch myself, I know >.<

Quote from: Ghostly on April 06, 2010, 06:27:26 PM
I like the starving artist idea... still looking for ladies?

Struggling Hawaiian artist.

Go ahead. I'll retract then. :)

( Cause it's too close to my char )

Ghostly

Quote from: Saerra on April 06, 2010, 07:45:24 PM

Go ahead. I'll retract then. :)

( Cause it's too close to my char )

I don't want to poach your idea- I can change (you had it first). There's always music. I think cello, or maybe a violinist...

Saerrael

Well, I'm still contemplating the character anyway. If I'm too slow, feel free.

Dashenka

Quote from: Saerra on April 06, 2010, 07:45:24 PM

Do you have a permit for your statement? ;p

I'm Dutch myself, I know >.<

I've lived in Amsterdam for three years and my parents still do :)

Jadeling

Interested, but it's hard to come up with a character concept. I'll have to think this one through a little more...

playfullchick76

As interesting and skilled as this is, I should bow out.Someone that i have history with, not in a good way, wants to be a part of this group rp, so to avoid ruining it for everyone else, I will bow out.