Instrumental Inspiration

Started by kasper, December 06, 2012, 11:47:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kasper

When writing, I find that instrumental music is most inspiring to me. But often times I find myself scrapping to find good instrumental music that moves me. So here's a place where others can share, appreciate and talk instrumental music. It doesn't matter where the music is from - whether written for a video game or a piece that has endured time. It doesn't matter whether it's piano or synthesized, Sigur Ros or Mozart, new or old, mainstream or strange. There are only three rules:

• Respect each other and keep negative opinions to yourself.
  • Keep the conversation appropriate for a non-adult thread.
  • Post instrumental music. (Opera, primarily instrumental or vocal instrumental may be posted too.)

With that said, I'll share a simple piece:

Brian Crain - Wind

Enjoy!

NO LOOSE ENDS; LET NONE BE THE NOOSE.

Lilias

I'm usually the opposite - I need at least a vocal line to keep me 'within' the music; complete instrumentals tend to make me drift away. Perhaps that's why my favourite instrumental works are those that use one instrument like a voice. Example below (one of the sexiest pieces of music I've EVER heard, too, but unfortunately not embeddable):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiDHohu050A
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Seress

This has actually gone on repeat when writing a few scenes, and during a tabletop session it came on during an action scene and worked really well.

Resident Evil - Seizure Of Power

Izzie Aditi

I'm exactly the same. Music with vocals usually distracts me when writing. My two go-to pieces:

The Machinarium soundtrack (fun game too)
Full Machinarium OST

Also one of Wolfstone's instrumental tracks:
Wolfstone - Glenglass
“Redheads are said to be children of the moon, thwarted by the sun, and addicted to sex and sugar.”

kasper

I really liked the Machinarium soundtrack! I listened to the whole thing and couldn't believe a whole hour had passed once it had finished!

Any way, here's one that inspires me and was made a bit popular by the anime series Samurai Champloo. It is so moving and haunting in a beautiful way. I always go to it when trying to write emotionally wrenching scenes and it helps so much. Enjoy!

Ikue Asazaki - Obokuri-Eeumi ( very Relaxing & beautiful Japanese Song )

And if interested, here's one of the first scenes it inspired for me:

Nanami
Stretching along that overturned dirt, between his fingers he feels the fresh earth damp and cool against calloused fingertips. Her scent still lingers, warm and delicate like a breeze carried on the current's back. The air hangs heavy with salt, licking his wild hair with sweat. A storm brews some where in the distance, the ocean crashing fiercely against the craggy shore. Those grey eyes were once as alive as those dark blue waves, but now those grey orbs are dead still.

Breathe.

Instead he chokes on a sob, trying not to let the tears escape. This was not how it was supposed to end. He had kept her safe all this way only for her to follow the Shadowfolk's footsteps. He tried to pull her along with him, but she would look up at him, the smile on her lips one that told him she had already accepted this fate. She was at peace with it but it tore him up inside. He had never felt so helpless. He was incapable of accepting death, always resorting to brute force to solve his problems. But this was an enemy his sword could not cut down.

He would disappear for hours on end, staring at the ocean with withdrawn eyes. When she reached out for him, he pulled away, angry with her for giving in. She couldn't do this to him... It wasn't fair! But on the good days, when she seemed healthy his hope renewed, "I could search for a cure," he would tell her, as they watched the gulls circle around the shore, her hands running through his unruly hair. "Hm..." she would softly sigh, that smile written in her eyes before leaning in to softly kiss at his temple before going back inside. That was when the rage would come. He would lose it and break some thing as soon as she disappeared through that door- any nearby pot or crate, once his hand, slamming a fist against the wall too hard.

He resorted to begging. Praying to gods he didn't believe in, promising his own soul to the Shadowfolk. Whispering softly into her ear at night, pleading for her not to leave him like this as his hands subconsciously mapped out her body, to preserve her in his memory. But the harder he pleaded, the worse her condition became. On that final day, he could see her eyes, the light inside those brown orbs dimming as she watched some thing that he could not see, as she was slowly fading from that life to the next. He held her tight to him, as if maybe he could lend her his heartbeat if she was held tight enough against him. But the light in her eyes extinguished and the heartbeat in her chest ceased and the warmth from her body slowly seeped away as he was left weeping over his departed lover. He could feel the Shadowfolk, knowing their silhouettes tower over him and his lover's grave. She was with them now, as he could feel her presence over him too.

The Heavens opened, heavy rain spilling upon him, washing her scent away. It rained as he made the trip back, leaving behind a part of him he would be forced to roam the Earth without until the Shadowfolk came for him too.

Lilias

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

SheepishRogue

Most of my instrumental music comes from video games, since I play them so often. Here's a couple of my favorites:

Skyward Bound (Motoi Sakuraba)

Idol of Time and Space (Tetsuya Shibata,...)

Marcus Memorial (Russell Shaw)

The Shrouded Village
More about me!       Ons and Offs
Skype Available

kasper

The phenomenal soundtrack from the film Cloud Atlas:

Cloud Atlas Official Soundtrack