Cooking Cookies Collectively!

Started by Kimmy, January 17, 2014, 02:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kimmy

I hope this is the right place (I asked for ideas of where to put this in the intro thread so forgive us for being unsure...) So... I'm making cookies today and I just wondered if people have ideas for unusual cookies and/or flavors! What I want to do is get some fancy cookie cutters - namely an Angel, a unicorn & a devil. And this big box of dinosaur cookie cutter/printers I found on Ebay! :) I want a nativity scene with cookies!

But I'll be trying out making icing with lots of colors & drawing with it on my cookies. Only I don't have any tools to apply the icing... I have sewers & a cup though - so hopefully I can draw lines like a quill. :) But any ideas for improvised tools and how-to guides would be appreciated!

Also, does anyone bake anything into their cookies? I'm thinking of trying some fruit in the next batch. Strawberries and such.

We have a new oven that cookes from all sides instead of just burning one side - so I'm hoping my cookies can finally be nice instead of semi burnt/undercooked...
Posting rate: Moderate       Currently Chasing: Playful, Romance & Something Rough.
A&A           RL Issues: Some Insomnia.
Offsite RP's: 2 online + 1 RL. Currently Craving: Romance and just a touch of something darker...

Avis habilis

The wife of a friend of mine used to make sugar cookies that had a single rose petal glued on top with strawberry jam mixed with rose water. You ate the petal along with the cookie. (She was pretty hard core though - made her own gnocchi, for crying out loud.)

Oniya

You can make a simple pastry bag by taking a zip-lock bag (freezer bags are a little stiffer and give more control) and cutting a small hole in the corner.

MacGyver is my personal idol.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Kimmy

Quote from: Oniya on January 17, 2014, 07:14:02 AM
You can make a simple pastry bag by taking a zip-lock bag (freezer bags are a little stiffer and give more control) and cutting a small hole in the corner.

MacGyver is my personal idol.

All hail MacGyver! I shall try that idea :) It's just about my budget! :)

Quote from: Avis habilis on January 17, 2014, 06:59:20 AM
The wife of a friend of mine used to make sugar cookies that had a single rose petal glued on top with strawberry jam mixed with rose water. You ate the petal along with the cookie. (She was pretty hard core though - made her own gnocchi, for crying out loud.)

A rose petal? Now I wish I had a rose garden. My mum has roses - but they just finished blooming... I'll have to try that another year :) Thankies though! I really wonder what it tastes like now...
Posting rate: Moderate       Currently Chasing: Playful, Romance & Something Rough.
Offsite RP's: 2 online + 1 RL. Currently Craving: Romance and just a touch of something darker...

consortium11

A devil cookie seems ripe for adding some chilli to... with the amount/type/heat level dependent on how devilish you're feeling. Chilli and chocolate is a pretty classic combination so use either a standard chocolate cookie with some chilli or add some chocolate chips in.

Oniya

Quote from: kimmy on January 17, 2014, 08:56:16 AM
A rose petal? Now I wish I had a rose garden. My mum has roses - but they just finished blooming... I'll have to try that another year :) Thankies though! I really wonder what it tastes like now...

Slightly tart, as I remember.  (One Renfaire, Mr. Oniya had a rose sent to me, so I tried it.)  Violets are also edible, and are the closest thing I've experienced to 'tasting a scent'.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

ThatOneGuy

Kimmy

Quote from: consortium11 on January 17, 2014, 09:19:16 AM
A devil cookie seems ripe for adding some chilli to... with the amount/type/heat level dependent on how devilish you're feeling. Chilli and chocolate is a pretty classic combination so use either a standard chocolate cookie with some chilli or add some chocolate chips in.

Ohhh I like it! I like it so very much! *grins evilly* Weaponised Cookies!

Quote from: Oniya on January 17, 2014, 11:10:29 AM
Slightly tart, as I remember.  (One Renfaire, Mr. Oniya had a rose sent to me, so I tried it.)  Violets are also edible, and are the closest thing I've experienced to 'tasting a scent'.

So your saying people don't need expensive drugs to taste scents anymore? I wish I knew anyone that grew Violets... I wonder if there is a public garden somewhere...

Quote from: ThatOneGuy on January 17, 2014, 07:37:47 PM
wrap a cookie in a pancake?

And that, that is just... madness or genius... Only time, trials & chocolate syrup will tell! I'll let you know the results. Though I have half a notion to try frying up a mini-pancakes with cookies crumbled into the batter. If their cooked a little slower, the cookie won't burn & should create a miost, slightly crispy fried edge to the cookie bits if their thicker than the pancake... That's like three kinds of delicious... And it worked with chocolate bits... so why not cookie bits?

Thankies! I have lots of ideas to try now - and a garden to go nibble on. You've been most helpful! *offers non-weaponised cookies in reward*

ThatOneGuy

Oniya

Quote from: kimmy on January 18, 2014, 06:08:06 AM
So your saying people don't need expensive drugs to taste scents anymore? I wish I knew anyone that grew Violets... I wonder if there is a public garden somewhere...

Sometimes you can find violet-flavored candies in old-time shops.  One time, I was working in a craft store, and they had clove, violet and something called 'teaberry' chewing gums at the register.

Kimmy

Old time candy stores are something we do have. I'll have a look around! Thankies!

PS - Icing + Freezer bags worked well! My hole was a little big I think - and I made a bit of mess... But then I covered it all in sparkles! And I got lots of icing to lick of the designing plate! Practice will make perfect though...