RPGs you want to try but you doubt you'd get your Real Life Group to try.

Started by Callie Del Noire, May 26, 2011, 09:35:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Empyrean

Scion, Eclipse Phase, and Legend of the Five Rings primarily. Possibly Witch Girl Adventures, just for the hell of it and because I recall reading some lengthy debates on the dangers of giving kids magical powers once.

Thufir Hawat

I honestly doubt there is anything my group wouldn't want to try, unless we consider it to be a poor system or setting. Pendragon, Eclipse Phase, Unknown Armies, Reign, and quite a few others are games we all like, and we can be persuaded to try almost anything at least once :P.
What's more, there are 4 GMs, myself included, and many of them are willing to even run a game once they've decided they like it enough >:)!
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

Callie Del Noire

Guess what showed up in my email today.. a link to a free version of the Vampire: 20th edition since I pre-ordered!

Black Howling

Updating my list, as it has continued to grow.

Mutants and Masterminds
Rifts
Palladium
BESM
Dresden Files
Hero System
The Unisystem (Witchcraft in particular)
Geist: The Sineater
Werewolf: The Forsaken (Played a couple of times, but never got as far as I'd like. My homegroup aren't into lycanthropes)

All I can thank of for now.

Thufir Hawat

Just being curious here, but why do you want to try Palladium and Rifts?
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Black Howling

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on September 24, 2011, 05:25:54 AM
Just being curious here, but why do you want to try Palladium and Rifts?
I'm not certain. They were talked up by a couple internet friends of mine, and so I got my hands on a PDF for rifts which seemed somewhat interesting. Same with Palladium, and after I read through a game, I like to try it out to have a more clear opinion of it.

Not sure if it'd be any good, they both are d20 3rd edition based after all, but it'd be worth a try if it turned out to be something fun.

Callie Del Noire

Still want very much to try out an Eclipse Phase game or a CthulhuTech game

Black Howling

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on September 24, 2011, 12:58:59 PM
Still want very much to try out an Eclipse Phase game or a CthulhuTech game
I was interested in CthulhuTech, until I watched a game a friend of mine was playing in. It was just, surprisingly unsavory for my tastes. Perhaps I'll meet someone that plays better in the future and will be willing to give it another go.

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Black Howling on September 24, 2011, 11:48:19 AM
I'm not certain. They were talked up by a couple internet friends of mine, and so I got my hands on a PDF for rifts which seemed somewhat interesting. Same with Palladium, and after I read through a game, I like to try it out to have a more clear opinion of it.

Not sure if it'd be any good, they both are d20 3rd edition based after all, but it'd be worth a try if it turned out to be something fun.
Actually, I'm pretty sure they predate d20 3e by a decade or two. Also, AFAIK, their age shows ;).
Still, curiosity is a pretty valid reason to try it, and even if it ends with a trainwreck campaign, you can at least laugh at the memory ;D!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Callie Del Noire

Yeah.. the Palladium system goes back to the 80s.. TMNT and Palladium Fantasy were among the first ones that they put out. Then Robotech (which is where I started) and from there they revamped their system and then RIFTS in the late 80s. So they predate d20 by a little.

Black Howling

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on September 24, 2011, 02:23:06 PM
Actually, I'm pretty sure they predate d20 3e by a decade or two. Also, AFAIK, their age shows ;).
Still, curiosity is a pretty valid reason to try it, and even if it ends with a trainwreck campaign, you can at least laugh at the memory ;D!
Kinda how I figured it. And does the age show in a good or bad way? Also, it looks like you might be right since Palladium is popping on a web search as being based off AD&D second edition. So, my friend was completely wrong. >_> Not even sure if that web check was correct or not.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Black Howling on September 24, 2011, 02:30:13 PM
Kinda how I figured it. And does the age show in a good or bad way? Also, it looks like you might be right since Palladium is popping on a web search as being based off AD&D second edition. So, my friend was completely wrong. >_> Not even sure if that web check was correct or not.

It's.. sorta kinda related. The attributes were a LOT more wide open and the mechanics while similar aren't the same. I had fun with it but god above does it milk for min/max in some ares.

I remember one pair of PCs me and a bud made up. The battling bronto brothers.. mutant brontosaurus baseball players.. So big they could hit a midfield ball and be on second base while still tagging first base. :D

Oniya

With the right group, even AD&D 2e can be a rollicking good time.  If you've got min-maxers and rules-lawyers, any game can be turned into a grind.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on September 24, 2011, 03:46:06 PM
With the right group, even AD&D 2e can be a rollicking good time.  If you've got min-maxers and rules-lawyers, any game can be turned into a grind.

Are you kidding.. I had a BLAST with 2e. I was playing a 'bard' before 3e came out. A half-elf triple class.. Fighter/Mage/Cleric of Finder.. Kyrie was a blast of fun. Not the best at anything but very flexible. She was possibly one of the best characters I ever played.

Oniya

And I'm betting you had a good group.  Don't get me wrong - I never bought anything past AD&D 2e, but I hear a lot of people gripe about it.  We had an awesome group, though, and the one rules-lawyer quickly learned that she should just take a chill-pill.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

HairyHeretic

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Black Howling

dakabn

MasterMischief

Quote from: HairyHeretic on September 26, 2011, 04:30:41 PM
The right group can make or break any game.

I am too much of a system snob.  Excessive perceived flaws ruin game flow for me.  I keep thinking this would be so much better in [Game X].

Callie Del Noire

I really would like to play a game of Eclipse Phase but it doesn't seem to be.. the last five games that have come up on RPOL, 3 imploded during start up (didn't even get to make a character per se in one) and the other two I never got a response back from the GMs. Sigh.

meikle

Quote from: MasterMischief on September 28, 2011, 01:09:54 PM
I am too much of a system snob.  Excessive perceived flaws ruin game flow for me.  I keep thinking this would be so much better in [Game X].

I don't know if it's really snobbery.  I play PnPs as much for the system as for anything else.  If I didn't care about the system, I wouldn't use one at all. :p
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

ChaoticSky

MasterMischief

Quote from: meikle on September 28, 2011, 01:36:40 PM
I don't know if it's really snobbery.  I play PnPs as much for the system as for anything else.  If I didn't care about the system, I wouldn't use one at all. :p

You know...we seem to have a similar RP temperment.  I am thinking we should do a game.

meikle

My efforts to do system games on Elliquiy have fallen flatter than flat.
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

MasterMischief