News:

Main Menu

Gamers Helping Haiti

Started by Valerian, January 21, 2010, 07:56:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valerian

DriveThruRPG.com, a company specializing in downloadable PDF gaming files, is raising money for earthquake relief in Haiti.  They've put together a mega-bundle of dozens of sourcebooks, modules, even some character artwork -- over $1000 (U.S. dollars) worth of product -- and are selling it for just $20.00.  They've already raised over $48,500 in about two days, so the response has been great.

It's all from smaller publishers, but there's a huge variety, from Cthulhu to steampunk to standard fantasy.  If the bundle doesn't interest you, you can also click to donate $5-$10 directly to Doctors Without Borders, and the fine folks at Drive-Thru will match your donation.   :)

You can buy for other people, remember. If anyone wants to sponsor Ryven/Chris, contact them. -Vek
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Lilias

Snagged! (C'mon, with titles like Shaolin Squirrels: Nuts of Fury on there, who would resist?)
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Avis habilis

Omigod - Damnation Decade, Diana: Warrior Princess and gorram Serenity? Mine! Mine mine mine!

Vekseid

Moving this to Off Topic to get (a bit) more attention : )

Ryven

I wish I had money.  I would donate. :-(

Valerian

*hugs*  Please, please don't feel guilty for not being able to contribute.  These days, lots of people won't have the money to spare; but for those that do, I wanted to help get this option out there so they can take advantage of it.  And spreading the word is helping, too, for those who can do that.  :)

The total is now over $61,000, so that's about $12,500 more in just five hours.  Woo!   ;D
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Ryven

Cool!  That's awesome.  Hopefully I can give next month when I actually have money coming in again.

Chris Brady

I'm with Ryven.  Wish I could help.  But I need to figure how to take care of myself first. :-(
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Kip

*nods* I snagged it just because of the ones Lil mentioned...

but the thing is - you give what you can when you can - if you can't then you can't and that's just the way of life.  Don't feel bad about it - it's far more important to take care of yourself first.

"You say good start, I say perfect ending. 
This world has no heart and mine is beyond mending."
~Jay Brannan~

"Am I an angel or a monster?  A hero or a villian? Why can't I see the difference?"
~Mohinder Suresh~

Kizurin

Snagged. Thanks for showing it.
My switches ON and OFF
When Kizurin is away...

I am rooting for you Vekseid, stay healthy.

The human species is made up of seven billion subspecies each consisting of one specimen. 
~Robert Brault

Mr Self Destruct

I am totally doing this when I get my check tomorrow!  Good find and for a good cause!  Can't beat it!

DarklingAlice

Awesome, thanks for finding this Valerian!
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Queen Be Damned Sheiba

I has another way gamers are helping. For everyone with halo3, who changed there emblem, bungie donated money...it's over now, but it was a great way to help out. There also selling t-shirt that go towards helping too.

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=BeAHero

darkvamplips

Is this actually the games or just books?
He once said "If he ever hurt you I will walk again to hurt him." Well he did hurt me and where is my friend? RIP Coby you are still on mind even after 10 years.

My request thread:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=29818

Vekseid

Some of them are full games, some of them are supplements of various sorts - some requiring another game, some not specific to any game.

Lilias

Goodness, that bundle took forever to download... But it's worth it!
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Valerian

There is also the option to only download some of the files from the bundle, for those who don't want to deal with the long download times.  :)
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

HairyHeretic

Thats what I did. I think I still downloaded about 900 meg though :) Over $130,000 raised though. That's pretty damn impressive.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Lilias

Likewise. I think that, when I picked the titles I wanted, before they did away with the voucher code and just rolled out the links for everything, my cart was worth some $370. Even my mum was impressed by the bargain. Of course, I neglected to say precisely what kind of books they were... ;)
~Wendell Berry

Avis habilis

Quote from: Valerian on January 25, 2010, 03:43:23 PM
There is also the option to only download some of the files from the bundle, for those who don't want to deal with the long download times.  :)

Yeah, if you go back & look at your order history you can fetch down one title at a time. Try & grab them all at once & you'll get old & die waiting. (At least on dial-up.)

Lilias

From the latest DriveThru newsletter:

QuoteTwo days after the devastating first earthquake struck the heart of Haiti, we put up a couple of donation buttons - $5.00 and $10.00, which we agreed to match. Our publishers began asking us for a way for them to put their products up to encourage more sales. We constructed a bundle product, expecting a few publishers would put a few products in, and we'd make a few thousand dollars, maybe.

We had no idea.

As of this writing, we've collected over $149,000.00

We've never seen anything like it. No one in the tabletop RPG industry has. Dozens of publishers, 180 products, all worth almost $1500.00. Trust us, many more publishers wanted in after we started, but with the intense surge that literally crashed our servers, there was no way.

With the Gamers Help Haiti Mega Bundle, we discovered a great power in our culture. A power to help and to heal. Gamers are legion, and we are good people. Each and every one of you should be proud.

Take a look at the press release and the list of products. And if you're going to donate, do it soon. January 31st is the deadline.

We, the find folks of Doctors Without Borders, and the people of Haiti thank you all.
~Wendell Berry

Talia

WOW! That is truly amazing. Maybe it will inspire additional bundles down the road. Especially seeing how other companies now see the benefit, oh...not to mention the money to be made. A great way to raise money and awareness.
He looks at me and my heart starts skipping beats, my face starts to glow and my eyes start to twinkle.
Imagine what he would do to me if he smiled!

Smile... it's the second best thing to do with your lips.

On's & Off's
The Oath of Drake for Group RP's
A&A