What's in the News? 2.0

Started by Tolvo, January 16, 2019, 05:34:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaggedLouise

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Sara Nilsson

Quote from: gaggedLouise on March 20, 2019, 06:48:13 AM
Almost :)

I would say they are worse. The Daily Fail is a terrible rag, and the constant hate it spews makes me sick to my tummy

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Lustful Bride on March 20, 2019, 06:31:36 AM
What, are they like the Fox News of the UK?

I say the were the model FOR Fox News

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

Tamhansen

That would be an unfair comparison. Fox news still has people like Shep Smith, trying to do good.

Daily mail is more what would happen if Breitbart and the national enquirer had a baby.
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

Oniya

I'm going to hold out on this one until either a) May has passed (since that's when the 'scheduled release' is supposed to be) or b) someone other than Fox and the Daily Mail say it's happening.  Those are literally the only two news agencies reporting this.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

TheGlyphstone

More like the National Enquirer or Weekly World News of the UK, IIRC. A sensationalist tabloid, heavy on 'what did this celebrity wear today' and very light on fact-checking, accurate sources, or anything regarding journalistic integrity.

Lustful Bride

I am embarrassed to have shared possible sensationalism but amused by how everyone seems to just zero in on hating Daily Mail X3

Im glad we could  all come together on this :P

Mechelle

The Mail has actually mellowed considerably in the last following editor Paul Dacre's retirement. It actually supported Theresa May's softer Brexit which would have been unthinkable in his day.

It is a mid-market newspaper, rather than a scandal sheet which has gained (I think) in circulation against the trends, or at least compared to other papers, but always adopted a very right wing and sneering tone. As an example,  when Theresa May met Nicola Sturgeon to discuss Brexit, the headline was Lexit and it compared their legs.

The last time I tried to read a copy (a free one in a pub), I couldn't bear it after a few pages and got rid!

RedRose

O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

Vekseid

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on March 20, 2019, 06:52:17 AM
I would say they are worse. The Daily Fail is a terrible rag, and the constant hate it spews makes me sick to my tummy

I have called it the daily pedophile

Markus

мαякυs's αωσℓ ησтιcε

ᴀɴᴅ ᴡʜᴇʀᴇ ᴅᴏᴇs ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴇᴡʙᴏʀɴ ɢᴏ ғʀᴏᴍ ʜᴇʀᴇ? ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴇᴛ ɪs ᴠᴀsᴛ ᴀɴᴅ ɪɴғɪɴɪᴛᴇ.

Tamhansen

Quote from: markus on March 21, 2019, 02:47:59 AM
wow, really? NOT...cool.

To be fair. this happens quite a bit. Same with Imams who have called for violence, and even white racists who've called for the violent removal of muslims from society. European judges, and French ones in particular just don't like sending people to jail for saying things, no matter how vile.
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

Markus

Torturing, shooting a man on video, calling on babies (yes babies) to be killed, a video titled "Hang White People"?? While I'm all for artistic freedom and freedom of speech in general, this seems pretty hateful and racist. As such it should be held to the same standards as white supremacists, neo-nazis, isis.

мαякυs's αωσℓ ησтιcε

ᴀɴᴅ ᴡʜᴇʀᴇ ᴅᴏᴇs ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴇᴡʙᴏʀɴ ɢᴏ ғʀᴏᴍ ʜᴇʀᴇ? ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴇᴛ ɪs ᴠᴀsᴛ ᴀɴᴅ ɪɴғɪɴɪᴛᴇ.

Sara Nilsson

So.. Well.. I don't know what to say.

Kate Pavlich on Fox news say that.. white america doesn't get any credit for ending slavery. That is her problem with the whole little inconvenient thing that was slavery. That white americans don't get any credit for ending it.

Quote“They keep blaming America for the sin of slavery but the truth is, throughout human history, slavery has existed,” Pavlich explained, using the most-used entry from the Official Manual of White Excuses. “And America came along as the first country to end it within 150 years. And we get no credit for trying to move forward and trying to make good on that.” (snip) “My point is, we were the country that decided to end it,” Pavlich retorted, blatantly lying. “And we’re still dealing with the issue. But if you want to start a problem and to inflame racial tension even more, start blaming people who had nothing to do with slavery for the sin of slavery. That is not fair. That is not the American way. We shouldn’t be doing it.”

I am at a loss for words. We where the country that decided to end it? You mean unlike the countries that did it before the USA? And.. decided and decided, I think there was some argument about it, I can't quite remember but I think there was some heated words about that. Think it was at Fort Sumter that they started discussing it, I don't quite remember. Yes I am being sarcastic.

And 150 years? I.. can't for the life of me try and figure out how that works.

Yes we are still dealing with the issue. And we need to keep dealing with the issue because no it isn't solved yet. Because racism is still a fucking problem!

source: https://www.theroot.com/a-late-thank-you-letter-to-white-america-who-fox-news-1833441329

RedRose

Agree Markus, especially when France does NOT have full free speech. There are many things you "are not allowed" to have as an opinion (outloud).
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on March 21, 2019, 05:44:22 AM
So.. Well.. I don't know what to say.

Kate Pavlich on Fox news say that.. white america doesn't get any credit for ending slavery. That is her problem with the whole little inconvenient thing that was slavery. That white americans don't get any credit for ending it.

I am at a loss for words. We where the country that decided to end it? You mean unlike the countries that did it before the USA? And.. decided and decided, I think there was some argument about it, I can't quite remember but I think there was some heated words about that. Think it was at Fort Sumter that they started discussing it, I don't quite remember. Yes I am being sarcastic.

And 150 years? I.. can't for the life of me try and figure out how that works.

Yes we are still dealing with the issue. And we need to keep dealing with the issue because no it isn't solved yet. Because racism is still a fucking problem!

source: https://www.theroot.com/a-late-thank-you-letter-to-white-america-who-fox-news-1833441329

Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t other countries eliminate slavery legally long before us?

Tolvo

To get an idea, after the murder of Jo Cox, just ten days after, the Daily Mail published an article titled "Labour MUST kill vampire Jezza!" Jezza is Jeremy Corbyn. It came with a picture of him in a coffin looking like a vampire. Which again, happened right after a Neo Nazi assassinated the front figure of the Remain movement. They later changed title to "dump" instead of "kill."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/16/taking-a-closer-look-at-abuse-in-politics

This was in 2016.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3660328/Labour-dump-vampire-Jeremy-Corbyn-DAN-HODGES-says.html

Sara Nilsson

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on March 21, 2019, 06:38:02 AM
Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t other countries eliminate slavery legally long before us?

You are not wrong.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on March 21, 2019, 06:42:01 AM
You are not wrong.

I know both the Dutch and English did away with slavery around 70 or more years prior to the civil war but I’m not as solid of that part of European history. 

Callie Del Noire

Found it 1833. England passed the Slavery Abolition act. Bit later than I though but way earlier than the UD

Oniya

Well, there was the Haitian Revolution a few decades earlier.  Ended in 1804, with self-liberated slaves expelling the French colonial government.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on March 21, 2019, 10:57:13 AM
Well, there was the Haitian Revolution a few decades earlier.  Ended in 1804, with self-liberated slaves expelling the French colonial government.

1792 Dutch banned slavery imports in their colonies, though full implementation took a decade longer

ShadowFox89

I recall the US banned importing slaves legally, but slavers still brought them in
Call me Shadow
My A/A

TheGlyphstone

The US banned the import of slaves in 1807, but slaves already in the country were legal and could be legally bred for more slaves.