[Interest Check] Tohku City

Started by ManyMindsManyVoices, June 05, 2014, 07:09:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManyMindsManyVoices

What follows is just a plot summary for a game idea. You can check out the structure of one of my previous games over here to see that I've got some experience, and my games are generally quite detailed. This is just an interest check, so that I can get ideas and gauge what people think. I have a lot more in mind, but detailing games is time-consuming, and I don't want to invest a lot of time all at once if there's not even a reasonable hint of interest.

There's a post down here with a bit more information, but I'd suggest reading the first post first.

Welcome to Tohku City! Today, Tohku is the biggest city in the world, some call it the World's Capital.
We have an array of different districts, from our vibrant downtown to the quiet suburbs, and even calm rural countryside.
Our city is also home to the largest concentration of supernatural occurences in the world,
but not to worry, the Tohku Special Forces keeps the city safe.

Most citizens barely notice the supernatural elements in their day-to-day lives,
but residents of our beloved city find their encounters with the supernatural to often be very exciting.
We do warn our citizens that this concentration of supernatural events means that spirits have been known to cause problems,
and people should be very careful of majin attacks.
If a majin attack occurs, please evacuate quickly and safely and allow TSF to handle the situation.

Tohku City exists in a modern, 'Near-Earth' world (meaning it's like Earth, but it's not our world), where supernatural forces are a known presence, but not one normal humans interact with on a daily basis. The world is inspired by Tokusatsu and Anime tropes, but it doesn't seek to directly emulate the genre. It seeks to be less over-the-top and silly (though without denying a bit of silliness is necessary when Henshin Heroes and Magical Girls serve as its protectors).

The plot of the game centers around two major facets, the rise of dangerous supernatural forces and TSF's defense against it, and a look into the daily lives of the supernatural. Tohku Special Forces has recently developed a project to create super soldiers, to deal with the increasing threat of the majin, powerful destructive beings that, so far, could only be killed by highly trained squads with powerful weapons. The project, however, goes awry, and random civilians are given the abilities intended for soldiers, as well as the ability to connect wit the powerful suits developed by TSF.

The picture above serves to showcase both the character, KC, and the setting, so take note of the background as well.

Casey (who stylizes his name 'KC'), is a sickly boy who is altered by the project, begins to find himself in better health, and eventually TSF seeks him out to recruit him. KC wishes only to lead a normal life, and resists, but finds himself dragged into the plot, and his 'normal life' becomes complicated as he begins to attract other supernatural forces into his life. KC suddenly has a number of new people (mostly girls, as this side of the story takes a cue from the 'Harem' genre like Tenchi Muyo and Negima) involved in his life.

KC is not meant to be the main character of the story, mind you. He serves as a link between the two major parts of the story, and the various characters within. The inspiration of the 'Harem' genre isn't meant to put KC in a place where a number of girls fawn over him, but instead just draws on the idea of an awkward young man forced out of his comfort zone and put into complicated situations with these new people in his life. There will be room for other males, and definitely other relationships (romantically, sexually, and otherwise). The 'non-action' side of the plot will be exploring the daily lives and social events of a group of strange individuals (including other Henshin warriors, wizards/witches, spirits, Magical Girls, robots, and other things, including some humans).

Below are the rules and guidelines for this game (and probably any game I run). If you can't be bothered to read them, I can't be bothered to approve you. This is the only section I obligate every player to read all the way through (I know I write a lot of stuff), please do so. This is to give a better idea of how I run my games, this is still just an interest check.

• Communication! - I will say this as many times as I have to, as many times as I can, communication is key. I am here to talk whenever possible. I take my games pretty seriously, because I committed to its players, but I also can't make a game work without players with a little dedication. If you're not interested/excited, why should anyone be? Let's talk, get to know each other even, but most of all, let's talk about what you want in the game. I am happy to explain anything and everything I can, and players who talk are more likely to enjoy playing together.

• Changing Threads - When a character is changing to another thread, please link to that thread in the post (better yet, link to the post that yours leads into). On the flipside, if you are coming from another thread, post a link to where your character just came from (again, if you can link to the specific post, all the better).

• Writing Skills - The first thing to make me want not to read what you write is poor writing skills. If you don't speak English as your first language, that's fine, I'll cut you some slack. However... (if ur sentancez luk liket his with no punctuashun whatsoever) Then please, let's save everyone the headache. I don't want to reject you, you don't want to get into a fight with me and no one wants to look like a dick. So let's just agree that it's no fun to play together.

• Plot and Sex - I came to E to write collaborative stories and games with few restrictions. This means both plot and sex will likely be a major part of any game I GM. Sex scenes should be played outside of major threads, unless discussed with a GM beforehand, and it makes sense in the situation. If you are writing a sex scene that doesn't advance character interactions dramatically, play it out separately and move on with the plot in the main threads.

• Approval - My games always require approval to join, and I can be pretty selective. I want my players to feel like I will make an effort to choose role players who understand the rules and show signs of a good role-player. The game is a community, and I want to make a good community for everyone. It will not be first come, first serve, and I will not accept players just to fill roles.

• Gender - When it comes down to it, I will lean towards lords playing males, and ladies playing females. This isn't a rule, and if I feel a character is well written and believable, I don't really care who is writing them. This definitely doesn't mean I have a problem with lieges and trans-players/characters, in fact, I find their experiences with gender identity definitely makes the ones that are good RPers even better.

• Pacing - As I discuss in the 'On the Nature of Group Games' section, a healthy pace is important to keeping group games alive. I won't set an arbitrary post rate, but I will do what it takes to keep the game moving. If you're a slow poster, decide how much time you can devote to the game and make it clear. Fast posters should consider multiple characters (and probably multiple games), and remember that being patient is also important. Either way, communication is the key to making this work.

• I don't like having an arbitrary post size or limit placed on people. Don't overuse purple prose, and don't write so little that no one has anything to play off of. A good post should include something the progresses the scene/plot, and should include descriptive words that help make a character's tone and body language clear.

• There are exceptions to every 'rule', and someone who is genial and really tries to make an effort will be welcome much more than someone who isn't.

On the Nature of Group Games: I've done a lot of group games on E, and they are, as a whole, quite a pain in the ass. That said, they're also very fun and rewarding when done well, and I've learned a lot about how best to handle them since I first joined here. Before we get into anything, let me link to the Oath of the Drake. It's a very good set of guidelines to start with for group games.

I think the most important thing to note with regards to any game, and especially group games, is that it is a social contract. Agreeing to join this game (or any game) is an agreement to respect the desires and time of the people involved. Of course you have lives outside of the game, but the people behind the screens, cities, states, or countries away are still people. Their time is valuable, and their happiness is meaningful, and this is a place where they spend one to gain the other.

A social contract is an obligation, and that doesn't have to be a bad thing, but it should be treated like an important one. Don't join a game if you can't devote the time to it. If you're having an off day or your life becomes hectic, I understand, your fellow players will hopefully understand, so long as you let us know what's going on.

Pacing is the biggest issue I've seen with group games, and a healthy pace is lifeblood of a game. This comes both in the form of how often people post, and in the pacing of the story. I will do my very best to help both things along, but every player should consider this their responsibility to the other people involved.
My O/Os * Everyone should read 1/0

This is the Oath of the Drake. You should take it.

Juggtacular

Kokaine

Current Craving/Looking For: Romance, Adventure, Action, Humor, and Erotica. (F/Any)

Current Post Rate: Moderate

Current Posts Owed: 1/8

My O/Os

ManyMindsManyVoices

Hmmm... I forgot to mention, but it'd be helpful to know what aspect people are interested in.

Juggtacular

The concept as a whole is what sold me. I don't know that I could think of any one aspect over the others. It all seems like fun with good people to write with.

Kokaine

I like the overall concept as well. Admittedly Im not a hardcore anime nut, but I like the set up you've presented.

I'm not sure if I wanna play a female civilian who finds herself with an ability or a member of the TSF, kinda leaning toward the former.
Current Craving/Looking For: Romance, Adventure, Action, Humor, and Erotica. (F/Any)

My O/Os

Divine Tenacity

Put me down for interest as well. The setting and concept are amazing!

I'm thinking... 'cyber-ninja'.

EDIT: Or bounty hunter... Gunsmith or Gun runner...

Many things...
Group Games: 0 (pending) | Solo Games: 2  | Post(s) Owed: 2

Check out my Request Thread!

AndyZ

Sounds cool.  I'm learning towards TSF but no idea what yet.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

ManyMindsManyVoices

Okay, I've added my rules skeleton to the first post, it's a set of guidelines I've grown along with all my group games and they'll be the way I run pretty much any game. I'm also working out my recruitment rules so that the recruitment thread remains relative active, without being unwieldy, and is selective without resulting in too much drama or perceived rudeness.

Next, let me note that the world isn't going to be too over-the-top and action-y, so Midori, I don't want to write you off, but cyber-ninjas aren't necessarily going to fit in. A gynoid spy or soldier, or a 'ninja' themed Henshin character might work though.

Also, the more open to different character types you are, the more likely you are to get into the game, as the more likely you'll fill a role that someone else isn't filling.

So, let me chat about the world ideas I have a bit, and I'd like to get feedback from interested players. Your idea might not get implemented, but it might help me better understand what you want. I do have a pretty solid world in mind, but I'm always shifting and moving my ideas until the world is actually in play.

First, I am looking to fill a few specific slots. Most characters will find themselves participating in both sides of the story. I am probably looking to have at least 4 to 6 female 'harem' members (again, not actually sexually involved with KC necessarily, just a play on the genre), a couple of guys connected to the 'harem' plot (like KC's best friend, or the brother of one of the girl's, or a new neighbor), 2 more Henshin heroes other than KC (probably more), and some non-Henshin members of TSF (who may just be NPCs, but at least one that is an actual player).

That's the core of the idea, and some of those things will overlap (one of the 'harem' girls will probably be a member of TSF), and other characters will probably be allowed, depending on how much interest I gain.

Okay, so now a bit more info on the world.

Here are summaries of the different types of characters I have planned so far:

Henshin 'Heroes' - Various random citizens of Tohku who have been granted strange alterations in the attempt to fight back the majin. Most notably, they are attuned to the suits desiged by TSF, and with a belt, bracer, or other transformation device, they can go from slightly more skilled humans, to elite soldiers with special abilities. Every Henshin Hero has a 'finishing move' which gathers a great deal of energy (which would strongly tax a normal human) and is supposedly one of the few ways to truly kill a majin, at least for a human.

Majin - Demons, devils, powerful malicious figures that seek, well, no one really knows what, but it seems to involve destruction. Majin usually have monstrous forms, but usually disguise themselves as humans. Due to being extremely dangerous and difficult to kill, I will not just let anyone play one, players who are allowed to play majin have to develop a rapport with me first. A 'half-majin' or 'sealed majin' character might be allowed, however.

Guardians (Magical Girls) - The guardians are the kind, somewhat angelic opposites of the majin. They are agile and graceful, but generally tend not to be very aggressive. Rather than fighting the majin, they can pacify and purify them, as well as other individuals. A guardian is more likely to put someone to sleep, or be part of a sealing ritual, and most prefer to avoid violence.

Wizards/Witches/Warlocks (and other terms) - Practitioners of magic that are able to use small totems to create magical effects. A wizard might carry a small, otherwise worthless, key that allows him to cast a spell that unlocks things. They are almost 'fey-like' in nature, seemingly capable of nearly anything, but always bound to a small set of tricks and spells. A wizard or witch will have specific totems chosen during creation and specific spells they can cast, usually nothing too dramatically powerful, but witches and wizards with time and right ingredients can sometimes go above and beyond these specific powers. They are definitely the most versatile characters available.

Espers - Characters with a psionic specialty, like telekinesis or pyrokinesis or telepathy. They aren't going to be picking up houses or mind-controlling people, but reading thoughts and conjuring fireballs and throwing people into walls are all possibilities. I'll consider how much or little to allow, and maybe more powerful Espers may show up, with more than one specialty or more powerful abilities.

Spirits - Dead people with some reason for not staying quite so dead. They might be terrifying pale-faced entities that seek to haunt and torment the living, or they might just be floating, intangible dead people (maybe with some possession or poltergeist-like capabilities).

Android/Gynoid - Robots that look like humans. They may be very intelligent or strong, but in keeping with the rest of the world, nothing too over the top.

Okay, so that's what I've got in mind so far. Let me know what you guys think about anything.

Yukina

I think I'll join. I'm mostly interested in the henshin hero aspect. Is it fine if I reuse powers from a different tokusatsu show?

Zhu Que

Quote from: Yugishogun on June 06, 2014, 06:21:08 AM
I think I'll join. I'm mostly interested in the henshin hero aspect. Is it fine if I reuse powers from a different tokusatsu show?

"I figure that'll be fine, since there are so many interesting powers (given I've only seen 6-7 series and only from Kamen Rider, and have quite a few I enjoy)... but of course, everything is based on discussion with Ryu. Not sure if he'll want the 'Henshin Heroes' to have similar powers or what yet, as he is sleeping right now, and I am still recovering from the brain-death caused by the intense 'WHAT!?!?!?' from watching Kabuto last night... So I cannot give a better answer right now."

Juggtacular

I'd like a Henshin hero too if possible. Because fuck all kinds of duck that sounds like fun.

Zhu Que

"Since I didn't realize he put 'two' for Henshin heroes, I guess I should state that I've voiced to Ryu that if I join, I'd enjoy playing a Henshin hero (because women can be Kamen Riders... *sigh*). Knowing Ryu, that if there is enough interest and people jumping at the game, and the concepts are cool, then he'll probably let there be more than KC and two other heroes (I almost said 'riders' *sigh*).

...and I'm actually really interested in seeing other Henshin hero ideas, especially since there are already two others interested in being Henshin heroes." ^_^

Kokaine

Hmm.. I'm thinking of a female TSF soldier of decent rank and experience that is also an Esper (probably telekinetic and uses it to add some extra oomp to her fighting) rather than a Henshin Hero if that's possible.

Having read your requirements above I will state now that I am not a 'fast' poster. I tend to do best when I can find a relatively steady rhythm so I'm not the sort to post daily/multiple times a day for one scene (it could happen in a one on one situation if the muse is really flowing but I wouldn't be able to maintain that rate). That said I do try and fit myself into the flow of the game so long as it isn't speeding by like a runaway train.

My O/Os

Pyrkinas

You know I'm interested. And you know I'd want to be a henshin hero, but if the interest for that is already too high, I can think of something else. I'll discuss that with you in private.

ManyMindsManyVoices

I'll discuss recruiting with people in private if the game gets off the ground anyway, and don't worry too much about what other people want to play. If interest is weighted particularly heavily on one side of the scale, it might just mean that aspect will allow me to be pickier about players. I will also make it clear what sorts of things I'm actively looking for in the actual recruitment thread.

Pyrki and Zhu are people who I've played a lot of RPs with in the past, by the way, both in real life and on E, and they are very familiar with me as a GM. While I'm the final word on most matters, they can generally answer questions here and there and tend to help pick up the slack if things are busy.

Joslyn

I'd also like to express interest in this one.  :-) I would most likely play a gynoid character, but I've got a few different background ideas and I'll need to settle on one. I do have a few setting questions that will help me decide.

First, I was wondering what sort of legal status intelligent robots have in Tohku City--are they property, full citizens, or somewhere in between? Also I'd like to know how common they are. Finally, what level of prejudice is typical from humans?

One thing to consider is that if intelligent robots are common, that would lead to massive technological unemployment. And that in turn can be handed in a dystopian or utopian way.

ManyMindsManyVoices

Hello Jos, I'd love to have you play another robo-lady in my game, your first one way back when was so much fun. I also love people who ask me about my campaign worlds and make me think about things in them.

So, time for another little insight into the world of Tohku (as it so far appears in my brain). Tohku exists, as I mentioned, in a 'near Earth' world. I don't intend for the RP to get too big on the 'what goes on in the world' details, but I don't want to gloss over them entirely either. We won't see a lot about the world outside Tohku (if anything), and I don't intend to name countries and I'm still deciding on if I want to call the planet/world it's on Earth or not.

Tohku's technological level is on par with most first world countries on Earth. They have personal computers and mp3 players and televisions and video games, though they have a different sense of what is 'normal' since magic is known factor in their world. Still, most people don't encounter magic on a daily basis. Wizards and witches are likely to tone down their use of magic around humans because they are more likely to be ostracized for being different (Tohku is pretty progressive, but people still feel uncomfortable around beings with so much more power than them).

However, the small magical community still works with humans, and TSF and certain privileged companies have access to knowledge and supernatural things outside the normal boundaries of basic technology. I'll probably come up with a fun science-y word to describe technology that integrates the supernatural, but the Henshin suits, and robots, use supernatural sources to advance their technological capabilities. So Henshin suits can to their user with belts and bracers, and gynoids/androids can blend the biological with the technological in a way that makes it nearly impossible to tell them apart.

So, onto the specifics of androids/gynoids. Currently, they are very expensive, and reasonably new technology. They are built, as noted above, by TSF or high-level corporations, and as of now, they have no specific rights. Some run on true AI (as would be the case with any player run AI, unless they wished not to), but some are only Simulated Intelligence, and likely used to run corporate affairs or assist TSF. Most humans aren't aware of them, and so, like on Earth, there are varying levels of comfort with them, but since they are capable of passing off as humans, they are likely to do as the supernaturals do, and play down their 'supernatural' nature in favor of blending in.

An idea I had was for TSF to provide KC a gynoid nurse, which might be one part 'please join us', one part 'good will', and a tiny part 'please don't sue us for fucking with your body'. KC is a sick kid, and while becoming a 'Henshin hero' has made him more resilient and capable, he still needs a reasonable amount of medical attention. That's just one idea, though.

I still don't know what I'm doing with the KC storyline.

I'd like to continue to see interest, but I am going to start actively working on the setting, given the decent amount of interest I've seen so far. I intended to work on it either way (if I don't run it now, I might try again in a few months anyway), but an actual recruitment thread might be up sometime this weekend.

For now, continue to ask me questions, post interest, etc., etc.

Joslyn

Glad you remember me.  ;D I realize this is just an interest thread, but you mentioned KC having a gynoid nurse and I had one idea in mind that would fit with that.

The simplified version is, the gynoid character was created to be a bodyguard and courtesan for a very reclusive and wealthy woman. After her owner is killed by a group of majin, she joins TSF out of a desire to make up for her failure by protecting other humans. Also, she wishes to find out why her owner in particular was targeted.

I figure she would be programmed with enough medical knowledge to act as a nurse, as a precaution against her owner being injured. I've got a lot of other ideas but I'll save them for when recruitment starts.

ManyMindsManyVoices

I could definitely see TSF sticking their potential recruit with a bodyguard in the guise of a nurse, absolutely.

One note that I'll mention here since it might be worth knowing for other players is that majin aren't likely to hang out in groups. The idea is that they will be singular and dangerous threats. This is why they aren't meant to be available to normal players, they are very notable threats and they don't play well with one another in most cases.

I'd also note that they are not a threat that has united people against them (especially since until recently, majin attacks have been rather uncommon). There will likely be other conflicts (including between various player characters probably), and at least one 'Henshin villain'.

While I'm working on this, I'd like to hear suggestions for what to call the 'Henshin Heroes' as a whole, or what to call the project. I'd like to give them a name that isn't just a reference to a trope. A more concise name (like Riders in Kamen Rider) would make it easier to reference them.

Also, I've been very much on the fence as to whether to apply a very light system to the game. If I did it would work a bit like Fate Accelrated, using 'approaches' (Forceful, Sneaky, Clever) that you'd have points in and when conflict arises whoever rolls higher wins (players can simply agree out of character how a scene will resolve and forgo rolls if they so choose).

So it would basically work like this, a Hero might role play charging in and attacking a soldier who decides to dodge and weave away. I would determine this to be a 'Forceful' approach from the attacker and a 'Quick' approach from the defender, some sort of roll would occur, and whoever wins succeeds.

I still don't know how I want to form dice pools or build characters, and I just won't bother if people are strongly opposed to the idea.

Yukina

As for a branching term for henshin heroes, does "Soukou Yuusha" (Armored Hero) sound good?

ManyMindsManyVoices

I don't really intend to be extremely Engrish about things. Majin refers to an otherworldly being, so it's easy to justify the language change, but otherwise, the game is being played in English, so I'm going to stick with naming things in English. Also, I'd rather keep it short and simple.

I did originally consider calling it Project HENSHIN, but if I did, it would probably be a backronym or something.

Zhu Que

My little picture idea
"Random thing that popped into my mind today... not sure for a color scheme or name, or whatever, just had to get this on paper. Anyone got any ideas what would look good for this?"

"I've been wracking my brain for ideas for what the project may call the riders... I can't really come up with anything other than the picture.

Really, about the best I came up with was something like 'Specials' cause using special tech and gear to transform, lol."

Yukina

Quote from: Ryuka Tana on June 06, 2014, 10:10:55 PM
I don't really intend to be extremely Engrish about things. Majin refers to an otherworldly being, so it's easy to justify the language change, but otherwise, the game is being played in English, so I'm going to stick with naming things in English. Also, I'd rather keep it short and simple.

I did originally consider calling it Project HENSHIN, but if I did, it would probably be a backronym or something.

Understood. Maybe Project Evolution?

Joslyn

That's good to know about the majin. Would there be some powerful, recurring majin in the setting?

As for the game, I prefer freeform but I'm okay with a system as long as it is simple and all spelled out clearly.

I don't really have any good ideas for renaming the "Henshin Heroes." Maybe just "Heroes" would be fine. "Sentinels" occurred to me, but that would be redundant with the Guardians. I also thought of "Suits," but that just sounds like a bunch of business men.  :P