You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 13, 2017, 09:19:05 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

The Elliquian Herald & Post
Issue 74 (Autumn) ~ August thru October 2017

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: The Writing Column Q & A  (Read 3511 times)

Offline Nico

• #FAmily, Jag's Mulder - Deviously delicious - according to a certain, most awesome Liege ;) #Terrible #SorryNotSorry #MuseCrack. Always innocent despite what Caedy says. Spoiler buttons are evil. 42,19km!
  • Centurion
  • Carnite
  • #JeSuisUnAnge #ReallyIAm #BlameMads
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
Re: The Writing Column Q & A
« Reply #100 on: December 10, 2017, 08:59:28 AM »
Challenges are fine, but the setting has to interest me in the first place. Why would I write something I'm not interested in or lack the knowledge of?

Passing it on.

Offline Mirrah

• |Mischievous Kitsune| |Brat| |Incorrigible Tease| |You can't take the sky from me.|
  • Mentor
  • Addict
  • Kiss but don't tell...
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #101 on: December 10, 2017, 09:50:16 AM »
New question: When you ponder a new story, are you looking for a familiar and comfortable setting or do you look for a challenge?

If the story fires me up, I would go for that new and unfamiliar setting. That said, I tend to go into experimental stages, and don't mind doing research, though I see nothing wrong with keeping to comfortable settings. I guess I want and like both, depending on the space my mind is in.

Passing it on.

Offline Caeli

« Reply #102 on: December 11, 2017, 01:03:14 PM »
New question: When you ponder a new story, are you looking for a familiar and comfortable setting or do you look for a challenge?

I'm not sure that familiar and comfortable would necessarily be the same in my case - I am probably comfortable writing in a number of settings that I don't have actual role playing (or story writing) experience with, which would make them "not familiar" to me.

Thinking on my process, I don't think it's usually the setting that comes to mind first. When I come up ideas it's heavily weighted towards character interaction and potential for development; once I plant the initial seed for the idea, I then start working outwards from there on a number of things including setting. I ask questions about the  characters' backgrounds, start thinking about their immediate surroundings, NPCs they might interact with...

TLDR; the setting is incidental; I welcome the challenge if it comes but I'm more focused on character interaction.

New question!

What is your favorite part about world-building?