Word Game...

Started by dad savage, August 10, 2011, 09:41:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dad savage

Based on a game I was playing with some people in the CB before it closed. A game to increase your vocabulary and also hopefully make people laugh. The rules are very simple. One person posts a word they think other people will have a tough time recognizing (something out-there, erudite or highly technical) and the next person to post must either define it (if they know the definition) in their own words, or make up their own definition based on what they think it should mean before posting the actual definition followed by their own word.

The next person follows suit, and so on and so on.

So for example I might begin by posting the word Mesomorph, and the person after me might respond (if they do not recognize it) 'Mesomorph, noun, a small lizard which in order to confuse predators disguises itself by metamorphosing into a small, overhanging balcony,'

They would then follow up by posting the actual definition: "mesomorph, noun, a person with a muscular body build: said to be correlated with somatotonia, compare ectomorph, endomorph." and their own word for the next person to define.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com I post this as it would help if we all use the same reference although we may need to refer to wikipedia when people start to reel out obscure collective nouns, philosophical terms and technical jargon (i.e. medical or legal terminology) make it as hard as you can though so hopefully people can actually learn something, and play in good faith. There is no reason to cheat. I am sure there are plenty of terms we are all unfamiliar with and that's the whole point of the game. Super vocabulary points to anyone who can beat the dictionary with a real term that must be looked up on google or wikipedia.

I can start - sui generis