Signatures not showing up?

Started by Seraph, January 13, 2011, 04:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey, I hadn't noticed. I've had sigs off for so long! I think I'll actually turn them back on now. Thanks Veks!

Xillen

So that's what's happening.

It has the unfortunate side-effect that if people use

in their posts, and that post is not the first post on the page, everything below it will look like the signature, and usually be skimmed over. I've missed vital information that was, and I just heard one of my writing partners having the same issue with one of my posts.

Would it be possible to make this a per user setting? There's already a setting between signatures on or off. Would it be possible for a signature on/first post only/off setting, with first post only being the default?

Izu

I've already stated that it would be way better if they were in the last post if it has to be on only one post per page...

ONs and OFFs || M/M Search || Izu's A&A
...Like reflections on the page, the world's what you create...

Trieste

Izu, did you see that it's an option in your preferences to put the most recent post at the top? I don't remember getting an answer when I pointed that out to you before. It might help. :)

Izu

I don't like it... Ever since I've been using internet new posts have been the ones at the bottom... it just... makes me feel quite... urgh... you know... maybe it's OCD or I dunno...

Maybe I'm not saying it right when I say the last post in the thread... I mean the newest one so that it will be either at top or at the bottom depends on the user's choice, because newest post is newest either way...

Trieste

I suspect, though I may be wrong, that he would have done something like that by now if it was code-able (given the willingness to change the author icon around). ^^;

Izu

I'm quite sure it's code-able... But I guess Veks hasn't had the time to look into it...

Trieste

Given the trickiness of other things to code, I'm not so sure it wouldn't break something. However, you could try rearranging posts in the interim...

Izu

I tried... and I failed... twenty minutes into it I got an anxiety attack because things just weren't the way they were supposed to be... I guess I'm quite messed up x'D

Xillen

Technically, everything is code-able. However, this is code written by other people that Vekseid needs to get accustomed to before he can mess around with it, which could make things drastically complex.

Changing an image is really easy. Heck, he wouldn't even need to change the code, he could just replace the source image. Having signatures move from the first to the last post on each page is something entirely different.

I would actually like the signature only appearing once per post, and dislike scrolling signatures with a vengeance, were it not for the fact that the [ hr ] tag, which is awesome for splitting up posts makes the last part look like a signature.

Come to think of it, would it be possible to change the style of the signature line a bit? Like make it as hard as the line directly above your post, and below the "Reply #XX on: Whenever" text? That would differentiate the signature line from the [ hr ] line and prevent this confusion.

Oniya

Just as another note about the idea of switching the order of posts on a page:

It's very natural for people to read top-down, especially when dealing with something literary.  If I'm going back and re-reading an RP in order to reset my mood or find info to help me post, it 'reads' much better if the earlier posts are above the later ones.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Nessy

I read the boards like a book, which means the "later" material is at the bottom.  I know e-mail systems do the opposite, but I kind of like the way it is now. Oh, I hate scrolling signatures too, especially when there are a dozen on a page and my attempts to scroll material gets stuck on those annoying sigs.
Ons and Offs    Short Term Ideas,
Misc. Long Term Ideas

If you send me a PM and I don't respond, chances are I just missed it. Send it again!

Some heroes don't wear capes. Some just #holdthedoor.

Vekseid

Quote from: Trieste on January 30, 2011, 10:17:21 AM
I suspect, though I may be wrong, that he would have done something like that by now if it was code-able (given the willingness to change the author icon around). ^^;

Xillen's got it. It's someone else's mod and I'd have to adjust their code, and possibly look into making it a user preference for whoever prefers it as it is.

Hell I've already got complaints for restricting the size of signatures already : /

For Xillen's issue I can just make the signature hr tag more prominent somehow. That may go in the next rollout since I've already combined and minified the css for this version.

Majere Dreavan

Reminds me of the time I kept a link to Vek's post about Signature limits on my Signature, Thinking this had to happen eventually if people didn't follow guidelines already in place. But I like the crystal rose better. :D

Blitzy

The only complaint (and it's not even that, really) that I have about the lack of signatures in the posts in threads is that you can no longer really put 'Updated A/A's on this date' in your signature, as a good number of people don't read threads from the first page onward. I know that some skim the A/A forum but not always, and it was the easiest way to inform your writing partners without PMing them all that you were away, slow to reply, etc.

I guess we can just put that in our profile to the left though, so it's there now. :)
One on One stories on hold currently. Apologies to my writing partners.

Trieste

The sig is not confined to the first page of posting, Blitzy, but to the first post on each page of the thread. :)

Blitzy

Well, still. If you're at the bottom of a page of posts with only a 1 on 1... Most people don't look at the first or second posts. :)

Again, it's not -really- an issue. Just one of the things to work around!
One on One stories on hold currently. Apologies to my writing partners.

Lady Aura

I have to agree with everyone the scrolling signatures area  pain in my *refrains from the real word* behind. However another thing that (and I think it might just be me... and I am sorry Trieste I am picking you for this ) When you come across a post and the side information is SOOOO long... the post is shorter then it... makes it annoying to read such posts threads for me. I hate scrolling down half a page of blank page because the user information is so long.

For example Trieste... no offence meant hun... its just a little overkill in my book and annoying in the end.

Personal opinion though.

Current RP Status: Not taking any more RP's