News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

A Game of Epic Proportions *Please Read*

Started by MagicalPen, June 24, 2008, 08:55:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicalPen

[Note: This is still a work in progress and always will be while discussions continue.

Scroll down to next lengthy post for more information.]

Bear with me here. This is still a bit of a jumble in my mind, so I might do some rambling. Basically, this is something that as far as I can tell, has never been done on Elliquiy. Sure, it may seem similar to a typical GM run game, but the way I envision this is completely different. I suppose I'll start with how this is to be played.

First, you can almost view this as several stories/games being run in the same world. Sometimes their paths will cross, some may never cross. The decisions in one story/game will effect the other stories/games - indirectly or directly.

My role is strictly going to be that of the Game Master. I will be playing a host of NPC's and will try to keep all the stories/games running consistently. I will also perhaps play a PC in some of the stories/games, depending on how I see fit and depending on how much control I want on things.

Any of the below mentioned roles can be Male or Female, unless otherwise stated. But I reserve the right to pick and chose who I want for the role. I am looking for excellent writers, people who won't flake out after 1 week, people who can write multiple paragraph responses with good grammar. This will all be in the 3rd Person POV.

Think of this as a small group game - I really don't see more then 6 people in this one, unless there are several interested in court life and politics. I have no set Character Archetypes that need to be filled, so I am open to creative suggestions. Below I will describe each of the 'scenes'  - I suppose that is what I should call them - and how many characters I am looking for in each one, and what those characters should typically be.

Again, ignore my wording when referring to Gender. Any role can be filled by a Female or Male character.

But first, a brief background to our story:

Ribenheim is nestled in the North West of the World, the Wild Lands to its North, the Great Ocean to its West, more Wild Lands to its East, and several Kingdoms to its South. It had started as a City-State, that eventually grew and acquired more land. It grew to become a Kingdom, and now seeks to become an Empire as it spread South and East, swallowing up lesser Kingdoms through War and Marriage.

Ribenheim is situated in an interesting place. Its wild regions in the North and East provide plenty of raw materials and metals while its coastal and southern regions are prime farm land, providing food for the Kingdom and its Armies. The River to its South has long stood as a natural barrier between its enemies, but now the Legions of Ribenheim are swarming across the bridges and into the fertile lands of the South.

The Legion of the Ninth – named after the first General that led them to fame and glory (the 9th Son of King James the Great) – has grown in legend and is always at the front of any war, adding more names to their conquests.

Expansion East is slow and dangerous, with think forests and hills to clear, and wild tribes who are mysterious as they are silent. Expansion to the North is impossible, with the Northern Barrier mountains impassable and untold savages in the frozen tundras. Ribenheim has never been a sea faring power, so expansion West onto the Four Isles is not feasible. South is the only way to go, so South they shall go.

North Watch is a town that sprung up around a mining colony on the fringes of the Kingdom in the North East. Life is far from easy, but the town is self supporting, albeit a place where fugitives and thieves have found a home outside of the reach of the Kingdom. It sees a large population of travelers - some stay for a few months then head on - and the only Imperial presence is the small garrison the guards the mines and the shipments sent southwards. The Loner, the Ranger, and the Adventurer all pass through its gates at some point - seeking solitude in the wilds, hunting wild game, or seeking to find buried treasures and other legends rumored to be in the mountains and wild lands.

The Players:

[Group 1] The Grunts

The Legion of the Ninth has been around since the birth of the Kingdom of Ribenheim. It has played a major role in every War Ribenheim has ever been in. Its history is shrouded in legend and myth, its veterans greet each other with open arms, and young children dream of serving with the Ninth. One particular group of the battle-hardened Ninth have a reputation that is hard to distill. Sergent Moony's squad happens to be the 1st Squad, 1st Platoon, of the Ninth, a Squad that is as rich in history as the Legion itself. They're commonly referred to as the 'Devils of the Ninth' and are always tasked with the most difficult and dangerous of missions.

The Legion of the Ninth has currently been deployed to the South of the Kingdom, the spear head of an attack against a long time enemy to the South. The 11th Legion is also on the front lines, with the 5th Legion acting in a supporting role. The lands to the South are rich with farmland that the rulers of Ribenheim have deemed important to the growth of the Kingdom.

[Looking for at least 2 Soldiers of Moony's Squad - the Devils]

[Group 2] Survivors at Dawn

Ribenheim extends from the Coast to the North East, inland, which brings its Northern most border to the Fringes of the Wild, a vastly unexplored area where winter comes early and lasts longer. Tribes roam the Wilds, wild, unconquerable, raiding villages and forts alike. No one knows how many Tribes their are, how many warriors they have, but the Tribal fighting has always been enough to keep the Tribes as a minimal threat.

The Town of North Watch, situated on the Mining Road that provides raw materials for the needs of Ribenheim, has been attacked several times in the past. A frontier town, an earthworks and wooden palisade protect it from attack, with a Town Watch of retired Veterans and Townspeople the only thing to fight back against the Tribes. It has been a dozen years since the last attack, but all that is about to change.

[Looking for 2 - 3 people for this one. A Town Watch 'Veteran' and a towns-person or two. If two towns-people, they need to be related in some manner as one will be kidnapped]

[Group 3] The Royal Palace

At the heart of any ambitious empire is the Royal Family. The current King (or Queen) is very ambitious, very dangerous. As armies move ever southwards, riches begin to flow back in to the Capital City of Ribenheim, which shares the same name as the Kingdom. The City is large, with an Inner and Outter Wall, and as old as the Kingdom. The first King of Ribenheim had conquered a nearby city a thousand or two years ago, creating the birth of a Kingdom that continually spread out - through marriage, or war. The current King (or Queen) had inherited one of the most powerful Kingdoms in the World.

Nobles vie for power and favor with the Royal Family, seeking to marry their offspring with that of the Royalty. Friends and Enemies alike are made, and one can never bee too safe in the City of Ribenheim. The Game of Power is played everyday, during festivals and other gatherings, and even in the bathing chambers.

[Looking for a King OR a Queen - the spouse is dead either way. Looking also for a Prince/Princess or two between the ages of 16 - 21, along with Nobles hungry for power, Nobles eager to marry the Prince/Princess, and the like.]

[Group 4] Under the Hill

The Dwarves are a secretive people, rarely seen above ground outside of their above-ground city of Above Ground (as it is commonly referred to). A mining race, and craftmanship that can not be surpassed by human hands, the Dwarves main trade is in weapons and armor. Armor is costly and rare, few beyond Royalty and the Filthy Rich can afford it, though a few soldiers are known to have acquired it - one way or another. A human town, on the other side of the river from Above Ground, sprung up in response to the massive trade brought by the Dwarves to the region. The Dwarven town - secretive and small and guarding an entrance to their underground world - is small and serves as the only place to buy authentic weapons.

Something is wrong, however, as over night the Dwarves abandon Above Ground, barricading the gate, making no sound or showing any sign of life. A week has passed and the humans across the river have grown concerned. Will some one be brave enough to venture to Above Ground and find out what has happened to the Dwarves?

[Looking for 1 Townsperson, of the curious type, along with a Dwarf Prince and a Dwarf Shield-Guard (Personal Body Guard to the Prince)]

Either respond here or PM me with interest. Make sure you let me know which Group you are interested in first, and then we shall talk.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Ephemera

I'm watching to see how this develops.  I might like to join in, but am not sure I've found a niche yet.  Maybe background info would help me find a comfy place?

E.
“I bleed myself to be your drink:  Is not the blood of poets—ink?”   ―William Soutar
My Ink Blood Spilled | Who I Am | Where I Am (A/A) | Intro | Avi Source
My Poly/Kink/Random Blogs | My Drawer | My Concupiscence (O/O)
I, with a deeper instinct, choose a man who compels my strength, who makes enormous demands on me, who does not doubt my courage or my toughness, who does not believe me naive or innocent, who has the courage to treat me like a woman.” ~Nin  Working on: Ink Blood Spilled

MagicalPen

*bump with updated information*

Still no takers?

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

MagicalPen

Keep in mind that this game can start with only 2 or so people...once one of the [groups] is filled, we can begin.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

GrinningHound

Do you have anyone for any group?  If you need one more somewhere to start I may be interested.

I like the idea of playing a Prince pursued by power hungry suitors.  Maybe he's in love with a knight in the Ninth, though. ;D

MagicalPen

So far, very little interest despite nearly 100 views.  :'(

But yes, creating such a plot line creates room for some one to join as such a suitor - so anyone interested in such a role should post here.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

GrinningHound

So, do you plan on this turning into like a sort of adventure, that would be played out on the different fronts (the Ninth, the Palace, the Survivors, the Dwarves?)

Would it be like a system game or freeform? 

I'm not really sure what type of format you're looking to set up the story in, which may be why you aren't getting much interest.  Be a little clearer?  It looks like one big conflict is going on, and it will be seen from four different points of view, am I right?

MagicalPen

You pretty much hit it on the head.

Its Freeform. Its a main event that will be viewed from several different perspectives. So to some its some far-away event that has little effect on them while for others its a matter of life or death. Conflicting reports on various things, etc too.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Haibane

I have never touched fantasy before and usually shy away from it as soon as the "elf" or "dwarf" or "magic" words get mentioned, but you do seem to have thought this one through and your background work is impressive. Can you say how much of a real setting this would be compared to a fantasy setting? It sounds like it could be a reality-based history of a state like ancient Rome or an Eastern European expansionist nation such as the Golden Horde or medieval Poland with merely socio-politcal-economic skulduggery or it could go into full-blown Tolkein mode, in the latter case I do not think I would be interested.

Currently the two settings that do appeal are North Watch where I see myself as a female townsperson, probably the one who is kidnapped, or Under the Hill where I would play a curious female. I am unsure of you'd need a soldier/fighting type curious person or a scholarly/academic type curious person, my tendency is slanting towards the latter, perhaps someone earthy or with druidic or clerical/religious leanings. I've always been more of a thinker than a fighter.

A female druid/cleric type might be used to fill either role actually.

MagicalPen

Ugh, busy weekend, and its going to be a busy week.

Haibane, you are correct. I am honestly not a big fan of Magic. I was contemplating limiting it to healers, generally employed by the Army, though they have limits as far as its use and their skills. You'll also have noticed i've only mentioned Dwarves. No Elves or anything like that, though I think one of the 'enemies' is not going to be too 'human'. I might use the 'Devourer' creature i've created...sorta like a human, real short and wild. More on that latter if needs be.

Hopefully if a few more people get interested, we can start up a few of these [groups] and work out character details. So far, Haibane, Eph and GrinningHound are all interested. Maybe just a few more so we can some PC + PC interaction?

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Haibane

You'd probably be wise to try and focus the players into one of the four settings to begin with, it would be a pity if you got 4 of us and we all wanted to only be in different places. Pad out the other settings later on. 'Tis just a thought.

MagicalPen

Yeah, well Eph said she is pretty flexible. I am thinking the Town (North Watch) setting is most feasible at this time, since no one has vested any interested in being a Warrior or a Dwarf. GrinningHound perhaps could take on the role of one of the Town-Watch, even if it really means being the son of the Blacksmith or something. A bit of a step down from Royalty though :)

BTW, if interested, prod your writing partners who you think might be interested (and are capable of good posts).

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

MagicalPen

Heres a little more information for [Group 2] Scenario. Hopefully this sparks some interest.

The town of North Watch, if it can be called a town, is perched in the northern corners of the Kingdom. Its sole existence relies on the minerals mined from the mountains a few days journey to the North, in the mountains across the river. The mines are so remotely located that only mules can make the journey from North Watch to them and back. Once the minerals arrive in North Watch, they are loaded onto wagons and begin the long journey southwards, into more hospitable lands.

North Watch, you see, is on the brink of civilization. It is surrounded by the Wilds, land as mysterious as it is deadly. Bandits, fugitives and Tribes of wild-men all post a threat to the inhabitants of North Watch and the mines. A small garrison guards the mines in the mountains, protecting the interests of the Kingdom, but the locals and the Town Watch are left to defend North Watch. The wooden palisade is enough to deter most attackers – the last attack was nearly a dozen years ago – but you can never let your guard down out here.

Despite its location, North Watch sees its share of travelers. Adventurers, seeking fame and fortune, are willing to brave the wilds in the hopes of finding one of the lost cities or buried treasures rumored to be  hidden by the forest. Hunters come, seeking some of the largest and deadliest game in the Kingdom, eager to mount another trophy on their wall or sell the much prized fur. And Gold Miners, eager to stake their claim, eager to find their mountain of gold, often descend on the mountains to the North in search of their own earnings. Of those who venture out, not all return.

A small miners community – mostly lodging for the miners, a blacksmith to repair their tools and the mules shod hooves, stables for the mules and horses, and a mess hall for eating – has been constructed around the entrance to the mine shaft up in the mountains. A separate building for the 30 man garrison, along with a stone wall constructed around all the buildings and mine shaft also populate the area. Due to its seclusion, it has seen very little trouble in the past, and the garrison is a bigger deterrent then any wall.

Once every two weeks, 15 – 20 mules are led down from the mines carrying their burdens. A three day journey to North Watch is perilous, with near vertical drops on the side of the trail until it enters into the valley. Once at North Watch, they get a day long break to unload, before making the return journey carrying whatever supplies the miners need. The miners also rotate on who gets to lead the mules – the day off in North Watch is much sought after – and often use their shifts to trade for a place in the mule caravan.

“Did any get away?”
“One sir, headed towards the town. Wounded, sir, so he won't get far. The Hunters are after him just to make sure.”
“Good.” The dark robed figure says, turning to look down on the mining community from his vantage point on the hill overlooking it. Already, the bodies of the dead were being piled in the center of the community to be burnt. A steady stream of miners were led out from the shaft entrance under guard – they had sought refuge inside during the attack. Not a single man of the 30-soldier garrison had survived the attack that was launched an hour before dawn. The fighting was over before the first rays of the sun pierced the night sky. “See to it that the mines return to full operating capacity as soon as possible. Clear the forest in this area too, so we can improve the operations here. Women from the town will be sent here in a weeks time. For the men.” He says with a smirk on his face. Nearby, several figures dressed in black, covering them from head to toe, and heavily armed, stood motionless amongst the trees. Turning to face them, he raises the loudness in his voice. “Come, we make haste to North Watch, to kill the Unbelievers and spread our cause!” The figures disappeared silently back into the trees. A rippling amongst the trees was the only evidence of the group of 500 who had made the journey southwards, part of the vanguard sent to take out any early warning system that was in place.

The vanguard had already secured its first objective, much to the pleasure of its commander. Securing the mines was the first step and would allow them to resupply and repair armor. North Watch would provide much of the slave-labor to expand the production of the mines, construct further blacksmiths and buildings, and the women were to become whores for the soldiers and skilled laborers brought in from outside of North Watch.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

MagicalPen

Ok. I guess i should make this one as EPIC FAIL...thanks to the three of you who showed some sort of interest in this.

Anyways, I am off for the weekend (not a good thing) so will return some time next week.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry