Laptop keeps losing wifi connection

Started by Teo Torriatte, November 20, 2012, 09:48:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teo Torriatte

I am at a hotel with public wifi, and I can't seem to stay connected. There have been problems in the past that the hotel swears they have fixed, but I still can't seem to stay connected for more then half the time, if that.

Is it possible that something is wrong with my laptop? Because sometimes it seems to work fine, then it will just cut out for hours at a time, or become incredibly slow.

Is there anything I could do to make sure things are working ok on my end? Could some kind of virus be doing this?

Autumn Sativus

Honestly it's more likely the hotel Wifi. I always have problems with hotel Wifi no matter how many times they assure me it's fixed and I should be having no issues and it must be on my end.

Do you have these problems on personal Wifi connections? Do you have a cell phone you could use as a Wifi hotspot for a few moments to test it out?
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Oreo

It might also be how many users are on the same wifi. It may be more than the hotel can handle at peak times.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

mayovagn

If things are fine elsewhere, no matter their protestations, its them.

Likely they haven't configured their overlapping wireless access points correctly or they don't have enough for the area's they are trying to cover.
All hail Eris! Kallisti! All Hail Discordia!

Member in good standing but poor sitting and terrible leaning of the Most Secret Order of the Stone Bonker of the Kakapo