What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on August 21, 2012, 10:39:38 PM
W-wait... what?

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
So... Megatron get's punched repeatedly by Metroplex. Metroplex's fist is three times the size of Megatron. He is pummelled into a crater, and is utterly destroyed. Starscream takes over. But Soundwave picks up Megatron's limbs, puts them back together, shocks him, and revives him. He is instantly back to full power. No serious repercussions. And they even mentioned it's not entirely his original body.

Just... how? What? In a story where people are constantly moaning over their comrades getting mortally wounded, you're telling me they can just... do that? Why? Since when? Was it a one of thing? Is it near impossible to repeat? Is there any reason why they can't just do this to any main character? Forgive me if this kind of dulls any impact that comes up from characters kicking it later.

Sabby.

How many times has Optimus Prime Died?

You shouldn't be so surprised.

Sabby

Every time that's happened in a competently written story, they stress it's a one time thing or a long shot. Hell, even the second Bay film made it pretty clear this is a one use revival and that even getting to use it will require fighting to Primes body. Here, it's just bam, he's back, have fun.

And then you get shit like Optimus being backed up on a floppy disc...

Sabby

...this is fucking ridiculous x.x

"Megatron, we can work this out! D= If we keep fighting there'll be no Energon left!"

"PFFT! Your love of PEACE only made WAR, CYBERTRON IS DEAD BECAUSE OF YOUR PATHETIC IDEALS! I am the CURE THAT CYBERTRON NEEDS!"

Not exact quotes, but they may as well be... what the fuck is this guys problem Dx any second I can just picture him grabbing the nearest object and biting it in half while screaming to his father he's not a faggot. He's just a madman. I don't have Transformers in my Nostalgia Banks, so I have nothing to compare this to, but he's either a worse villain then the bad Power Ranger's villains, or he's one of the least flattering reboots I've ever seen.

Aside from his atrocious character, games fun as hell. Love the car battles xD doesn't matter what ya kill a jeep with, it always tumbles and explodes.

Oniya

Quote from: Sabby on August 21, 2012, 11:06:51 PM
Every time that's happened in a competently written story, they stress it's a one time thing or a long shot. Hell, even the second Bay film made it pretty clear this is a one use revival and that even getting to use it will require fighting to Primes body. Here, it's just bam, he's back, have fun.

And then you get shit like Optimus being backed up on a floppy disc...

A 5.25" floppy, no less.  Twice the size!  Half the capacity!

And as someone with Transformers Generation 1 in her memory banks (including that annoyingly catchy song from the animated movie - earworm, gah!) You've got Megatron's personality down to a tee.  If Prime has him down and helpless, ready for a one-hit kill, Megatron rags on Prime for not having the pistons to do it.  Of course, Prime wouldn't do it, and that's a good portion of the reason that the war went on so long.  Prime is too much of a peacenik to put down the rabid warmonger, who won't stop fighting.

Of course, the other reason that the war went on so long is because Starscream undermines anything resembling competency on the Decepticon side.  I was almost happy when the animated reboot had him get kicked out.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sabby

That was... amazing. If anyone even remotely likes Transformers, you need to play Fall of Cybertron. I can't think of a better way to break a newbie in. I haven't watched any of the newer series or reboots, so I don't know if they're on par with this, but if Transformers has gotten this damned good I need to watch it. Wow.

I've always said that the most important part of a game is the last hour. The final stretch. This is what can ruin or immortalize a game for me. It can take a rather by the books game and ascend it, and a brilliant game and utterly destroy it in my eyes. Borderlands was a game I loved and it's pacing and ending managed to bring it down. Condemned 2 started great, and proceeded to collapse in on itself and end with a jarring, confusing halt. And Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones was an awkward final chapter in an otherwise great trilogy that managed to completely save itself with a perfect final level.

I can't speak for anyone other then myself, but those are just three examples of how much impact a games last level have had for and how they can change the entire game for me. And Fall of Cybertron has THE best final stretch I have ever played. Both from a story standpoint and a design standpoint. It perfectly conveys the scope of the battle, that it's all rushing towards one point, and the pure CHAOS of it all, throwing in almost every mechanic you've learned through the whole game in one breakneck, hectic battle royal that all just slams together in a perfect climax.

Fuck me. I am in complete awe. Well done High Moon. Well fucking done.

Sabby

Quote from: Oniya on August 22, 2012, 08:48:44 AM
If Prime has him down and helpless, ready for a one-hit kill, Megatron rags on Prime for not having the pistons to do it.  Of course, Prime wouldn't do it, and that's a good portion of the reason that the war went on so long.  Prime is too much of a peacenik to put down the rabid warmonger, who won't stop fighting.

I really can't spoil, but the last boss fight (if you choose to play as Optimus) will either get your immense approval or hatred, depending on what kind of fan you are. Let's just say...
Very minor spoiler, I think
he get's pushed a bit too far. Some would call it breaking character, others would say it's just the natural conclusion. All I know is it had WEIGHT to it, seeing him snap.

persephone325

This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Sabby

This goes without saying, but video contains massive spoilers. Posting it here for anyone whose interested in the ending I just loved all over without playing the game.

This is how you do a final level guys >.>

Oniya

Quote from: Sabby on August 22, 2012, 09:22:45 AM
I really can't spoil, but the last boss fight (if you choose to play as Optimus) will either get your immense approval or hatred, depending on what kind of fan you are. Let's just say...
Very minor spoiler, I think
he get's pushed a bit too far. Some would call it breaking character, others would say it's just the natural conclusion. All I know is it had WEIGHT to it, seeing him snap.

I always liked the bits where Spock lost it, too.  >_>
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Hemingway

I just preordered Jagged Alliance: Crossfire, which releases here on Friday. I saved 33% by doing so, so...

It may end up being more frustrating than Back in Action, though. I've talked about what makes Back in Action good and what makes it bad here already, so I won't go into details. Simply put, though, it's a game that punishes the tiniest mistake severely. The AI also has an unreasonable advantage, making shots that a mere human couldn't possibly manage because they require such precise positioning of your soldiers. Other technical issues also compound this problem.

Crossfire has a chance to change this, but ... going by the description, which states that supplies are scarce and you'll have to make good use of what little there is, I'm worried that finding armor ( which deteriorates incredibly fast, is expensive and can't be repaired in BiA ) will be even more difficult, and there will be even fewer kits for repairing weapons.

Anyway, none of my complaints about BiA negate the fact I've played the game for far longer than most games in my Steam library, frustration or no, and I would've gotten Crossfire regardless.

Edit: I should mention this, because I find it funny.

The mentioned thing about body armor not being repairable by your mercenaries bothers quite a few players. I find it .. realistic? I mean, using oil and other tools for fixing up weapons I can understand, but repairing a kevlar vest in the field? That seems ... I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm no experts on ballistic vests, but ... it's riddled with bullets! How are you going to fix that!? ( Nevermind that you'd probably be dead long before )

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on August 22, 2012, 09:14:20 AM
That was... amazing. If anyone even remotely likes Transformers, you need to play Fall of Cybertron. I can't think of a better way to break a newbie in. I haven't watched any of the newer series or reboots, so I don't know if they're on par with this, but if Transformers has gotten this damned good I need to watch it. Wow.

I've always said that the most important part of a game is the last hour. The final stretch. This is what can ruin or immortalize a game for me. It can take a rather by the books game and ascend it, and a brilliant game and utterly destroy it in my eyes. Borderlands was a game I loved and it's pacing and ending managed to bring it down. Condemned 2 started great, and proceeded to collapse in on itself and end with a jarring, confusing halt. And Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones was an awkward final chapter in an otherwise great trilogy that managed to completely save itself with a perfect final level.

I can't speak for anyone other then myself, but those are just three examples of how much impact a games last level have had for and how they can change the entire game for me. And Fall of Cybertron has THE best final stretch I have ever played. Both from a story standpoint and a design standpoint. It perfectly conveys the scope of the battle, that it's all rushing towards one point, and the pure CHAOS of it all, throwing in almost every mechanic you've learned through the whole game in one breakneck, hectic battle royal that all just slams together in a perfect climax.

Fuck me. I am in complete awe. Well done High Moon. Well fucking done.

So how's the multiplayer? ;3

Wolfy

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119213-Rockstar-Reveals-More-Grand-Theft-Auto-V-Screens

My god.

Look at those screenshots.

..@_@ Now, granted, of course, that Grand Theft Auto V is very, very far away, and all of this is subject to change...but daaaaaaaaaamn...

Also:

Tokyo Jungle - Trailer Gamescom 2012 HD

:D Tokyo Jungle.....you know you want it, Sabby.....

Also, it's going to be $15 and Download only...I assume just on PSN.

Heaven Sent Blossom

Sleeping Dogs. This game is pretty good. No snoozing Alsatians yet though.

Sabby

Quote from: Wolfy on August 22, 2012, 08:56:39 PM
So how's the multiplayer? ;3

Don't care. I want co-op. Skids and Mudflap campaign where every door has two switches, and you both transform into a low rider.

YodaSan2

Xenoblade Chronicles-Wii
The Last Story(Come my birthday Tues.)-Wii

Sly 2: Band of Thieves-PS2
Final Fantasy IX-PSX

Dissidia Final Fantasy: 012 Duodecim-PSP
Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep-PSP

Halo 3-X360
Fable III-X360

Tonalberry

Quote from: Wolfy on August 22, 2012, 10:32:30 PM
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119213-Rockstar-Reveals-More-Grand-Theft-Auto-V-Screens

My god.

Look at those screenshots.

..@_@ Now, granted, of course, that Grand Theft Auto V is very, very far away, and all of this is subject to change...but daaaaaaaaaamn...

Also:

Tokyo Jungle - Trailer Gamescom 2012 HD

:D Tokyo Jungle.....you know you want it, Sabby.....

Also, it's going to be $15 and Download only...I assume just on PSN.

I was fine, up until I saw one of the pandas start to mount the other.  Then I lost it.

Wolfy

Hemingway

Hmm. Jagged Alliance: Crossfire is ... not unlocked yet? Weird business is going on. It was supposed to release yesterday, then today. And nobody has said anything about anything.

I'm considering getting Jagged Alliance 2 from GoG to kill time with. The only thing really keeping me from doing so is that I'm pretty sure JA2 will actually be a way better game than BiA and Crossfire, which would be a slight problem.

GolGol

Right now I'm playing Eschalon: Book I, and Darksiders II.

One great rpg and one great action game!
My game ideas: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=75040.0

Ons and Offs, the updated list,  and pictures. Updated 29/10: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4506

Discord: Plasmapudding#3339

Hemingway

While waiting for Crossfire, I gave Jagged Alliance 2 a spin. It's exactly what I expected. It's one of those old gems that's still worth playing, if you can deal with the outdated graphics and the unnecessarily complex controls. In many ways it's even better than Back in Action ( which is a remake of JA2 ). In particular, it has more banter between characters, and the turn-based combat is better than the real-time-with-planning system Back in Action uses.

Now to see if Crossfire does things better.

Wolfy

Sabby

Was lamenting over how bad the whole Stargate scene is when it comes to games... clunky shooter, get's cancelled, a team based deathmatch game, gets cancelled, an MMO of all things, gets cancelled. All round suckage.

Then, I stumble on this...

StarCry - Crysis mod - First trailer

It looks too good to be true. I mean, the video is from 2 years ago! Surely the projects dead by now, just like every other Stargate game. I check the website.

Releases next month. Fucking yes! A little disappointed at the random sci-fi weapons they're jamming in. I would have liked an entirely faithful Stargate game, but at this point, I can deal with the Starship Trooper Arachnids and Halo Plasma Rifles. It looks a hell of a lot more like Stargate then Worlds ever did.

Hemingway

Jagged Alliance: Crossfire wins.

Why?

One of the mercs you can hire is a French woman. Who cares that her stats are atrocious!?

Lirliel

Hemingway, if you are dead-set on playing Jagged Alliance 2, download the 1.13 mod for it. Greatly improves the game, trust me.
"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

Hemingway

Quote from: Lirliel on August 26, 2012, 09:50:26 PM
Hemingway, if you are dead-set on playing Jagged Alliance 2, download the 1.13 mod for it. Greatly improves the game, trust me.

Thanks. I'll look into it.

Once I've played Crossfire to death.

I say "played to death" because even after spending 37 hours with Back in Action, I haven't actually beaten it. I have more fun just playing the game, than with trying to beat it. Actually, so far I find the early game much more entertaining. Back in Action felt like it progressed way too fast.