Scott Walker, Union Buster

Started by Valerian, February 17, 2011, 09:31:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsbeenfun2000

so  now the republicans want to take over the local governments in two states. They are moving towards a dictatorship more and more. Perhaps people are right we wont lose our freedoms from an outside force, we will give them away instead.

Zakharra

Quote from: Valerian on April 17, 2011, 08:58:56 AMWalker is said to be preparing a plan that would allow him to force local governments to submit to a financial stress test with an eye towards permitting the governor to take over municipalities that fail to meet with Walker’s approval.

According to the reports, should a locality’s financial position come up short, the Walker legislation would empower the governor to insert a financial manager of his choosing into local government with the ability to cancel union contracts, push aside duly elected local government officials and school board members and take control of Wisconsin cities and towns whenever he sees fit to do so.

Such a law would additionally give Walker unchallenged power to end municipal services of which he disapproves, including safety net assistance to those in need.

Thanks for posting that.  ;D  If the govenor of my state tried that, there'd be a small uprising in the northern counties. Anyone he would appoint would probably not do well up here.

Callie Del Noire

The thing I don't understand about the Walker local government bit is WHY? That will come up and there will be MASSIVE amounts of flack on it. You don't come in and basically suspend due process on that scale and not expect folks to notice (much less move on it)

Valerian

I'm actually starting to wonder if he's trying to push things like that through even faster, before the recall elections start.  They've just filed the recall petition for Senator Luther Olsen of Ripon, with 23,000 signatures (the minimum was 14,700).  With petitions already filed to recall Dan Kapanke and Randy Hopper, this newest recall could mean the necessary three Republican removals needed to give the Democrats the majority in the senate.

Obviously they may not all succeed, but the Kapanke and Hopper elections, at least, are promising, since they both won originally by very small margins.  Olsen is especially disliked by his constituents at the moment, since he has traditionally been a moderate Republican and was originally lukewarm about Walker's proposals, but followed the party line anyway when it came to voting.

Interestingly, the Republican recalls against the Democratic senators have been saying for two or three weeks now that they have enough signatures to file against a couple of them, but haven't yet done so.

Even if only one of the recalls actually happens, I'm still hoping it will knock some sense into the remaining Republicans.  Right now, I think the only Republican who can afford not to be nervous is Dale Schultz, the moderate Republican senator who proposed the compromise to the bill that Walker flatly refused.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Valerian

Now it's easy to tell the way various news agencies lean by how they're reporting the recent special elections for the Wisconsin Assembly.  Left-leaning:  Another Loss for Walker!  Right-leaning: GOP Wins 2 of 3 Assembly Seats.

The elections were to fill Assembly seats left vacant by incumbents being appointed to other positions.  Republicans kept the 60th and 83rd districts in southeastern Wisconsin, while Democrats won the 94th District in the western part of the state, traditionally a Republican stronghold; and also the same area where Republican Senator Dan Kapanke will have to face a recall election, hence the excitement among Democrats.

Thankfully, none of those elections were close enough to warrant a recount.  At least I hope not.  :P

The Waukesha County recount for the supreme court race isn't going to make the deadline of 9 May -- as of yesterday, only 12% had been recounted.  Otherwise, the recount is about half done overall, with no major changes in the totals, as expected by all.

The recalls are still moving fast and furious, amidst increasingly nasty accusations on both sides.  One of the Republicans being recalled wants a professor at the UW-Oshkosh fired for urging his students to sign that Republican's recall petition, while the Democrats are saying that the GOP used mainly out of state "hired guns" to circulate petitions, one of whom was a Colorado man with a felony record, now accused of stealing from a couple at Lambeau Field, where the Packers play.  Around here, that's sacrilege.

Then there's the whole debacle over the signature found on the petition to recall Democratic senator Bob Wirch, D-Kenosha -- the signature of a man dead for twenty years.  Weirder still, it's also the signature of a man whose son is currently a Democratic assemblyman.  You can't make this stuff up.

Recall petitions have been filed for six of the eight GOP senators (the other two, Glenn Grothman and Mary Lazich, were less seriously targeted and those recalls missed their signature quota):

Randy Hopper, R-Fond du Lac
Dan Kapanke, R-La Crosse
Luther Olsen, R-Ripon
Robert Cowles, R-Green Bay
Sheila Harsdorf, R-New Richmond
Alberta Darling, R-Menomonee Falls

And for three of the eight Democratic senators:

Jim Holperin, D-Conover
Robert Wirch, D-Pleasant Prairie
Dave Hansen, D-Green Bay

The only recall with time left before the filing deadline is the one against Democrat Julie Lassa of Stevens Point.

And that's the current chaotic state of Wisconsin Politics.  The Daily Show must love this.
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

itsbeenfun2000

I live in Wirch's district and could not believe some of the antics. The guy running the recall is upset that the Democrats are calling "signers" to see if they knew what they were signing. Rumor is that some of the recall workers asked people to sign a petition to support Wirch. I wouldn't understand why someone would get upset unless it may be true. Some of the workers were down right hostile to people who wouldn't sign it depending if they were male, female, someone that looks like they could take care of themselves.

Valerian is right you can't make this up.

Pointless Digression

Quote from: itsbeenfun2000 on May 05, 2011, 01:23:07 AM
I wouldn't understand why someone would get upset unless it may be true.

Just because somebody sincerely believes something doesn't make that belief correct.

Lyell

(Massachusetts) House votes to restrict unions

QuoteHouse lawmakers voted overwhelmingly last night to strip police officers, teachers, and other municipal employees of most of their right bargain over health care, saying the change would save millions of dollars for financially strapped cities and towns.

The 111-to-42 vote followed tougher measures to broadly eliminate collective bargaining rights for public employees in Ohio, Wisconsin, and othe states. But unlike those efforts, the push in Massachusetts was led by Democrats who have traditionally stood with labor to oppose any reduction in workers’ rights.

Unions fought hard to stop the bill, launching a radio ad that assailed the plan and warning legislators that if they voted for the measure, they coul lose their union backing in the next election. After the vote, labor leaders accused House Speaker Robert A. DeLeo and other Democrats of turning backs on public employees.

No national outrage on this one.
When you absolutely, positively have to kill it with fire...accept no substitutes.

consortium11

Quote from: Lyell on May 12, 2011, 02:41:49 AM
(Massachusetts) House votes to restrict unions

No national outrage on this one.

Unfortunately in today's political world mass outrage is a partisan issue...

Trieste

There is quite a bit of statewide outrage. You can't -force- the national news outlets to cover stories they don't want to, and apparently they're only interested in covering the exploits in WI.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Trieste on May 12, 2011, 08:10:11 AM
There is quite a bit of statewide outrage. You can't -force- the national news outlets to cover stories they don't want to, and apparently they're only interested in covering the exploits in WI.

The Cynic in me says 'Well yeah.. WI is a republican outrage..and the other is a 'proper' Democrat move'." But I don't see any of the 'my way or the highway' actions that Walker did. Without an out and out tyrant to focus on it might not be enough interest to bring in the media. Which is a shame, though I think the Dems cut their own throat.. talk about biting the hand that feeds you. Labor in Mass has always been very democratic

HairyHeretic

If it was wrong in one state, it's still wrong in the other. That move may well come back and bite them come the next election, and they'll have only themselves to blame for it.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Zakharra

That is interesting. Republicans and a governor* do it and it's huge nationwide news. Democrates do it and all you hear are crickets.

* I'm not really counting the governor of WI as a Republican  considering the massive damage he's doing to that party's image in WI. Unless the Democrats screw up in a disastrous way (which isn't an unlikely chance), the Republicans are not likely to win state offices for a long time.

Oniya

Out of curiosity, how much national news was there about Ohio doing this?  I can't answer this for myself, since it was all over the local news, but I think it was still vastly overshadowed by Wisconsin.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Valerian

Well, Walker is a Tea Partier, whether he's confessed it openly or not.

Wisconsin did have tens of thousands of protesters turn out, in Madison (which is famous for its protesting) and elsewhere in the state.  I don't know if there have been any similar demonstrations in Massachusetts, but that's the main reason why we made the national news.

There are still a bazillion problems with the Supreme Court recount, by the way.  It's not looking pretty.  *sigh*
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Trieste

Several states have done this, but only Wisconsin was covered extensively.

Quote from: Zakharra on May 12, 2011, 12:53:19 PM
That is interesting. Republicans and a governor* do it and it's huge nationwide news. Democrates do it and all you hear are crickets.

And it was the Repubs that are trashing things in FL, and also in OH (I think). So please don't draw party lines like that; it's unnecessary and
it really just pisses people off.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Trieste on May 12, 2011, 01:25:51 PM

And it was the Repubs that are trashing things in FL, and also in OH (I think). So please don't draw party lines like that; it's unnecessary and

Yes, the GOP is screwing us down here in FL. I'm not happy with my representation. It's hard to accept that my vote is worth less than corporate sponsors and I've had several emails with my representatives on the state and national level. The Jax Mayoral race is turning nasty at points, though right now it's 'he's bad, I'm good'.

Oniya

Quote from: Trieste on May 12, 2011, 01:25:51 PM

I'm fairly sure that it was the Republicans down here as well (Ohio).  (Once they get into office, I honestly lose track of who's D and who's R, as it's their behavior that makes the difference.)

That was one of the reasons that I asked how much national coverage Ohio got - if it got little to nothing outside of my state, that would be another data point.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Callie Del Noire

I think the big reason WI got all the attention and the rest of the states didn't is that they other states weren't picking and choosing specific unions/groups to disenfranchise and the fact they are willing to TALK to folks and discuss things whereas Walker was 'my way or the highway and not one inch'.

Lyell

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on May 12, 2011, 02:01:17 PM
I think the big reason WI got all the attention and the rest of the states didn't is that they other states weren't picking and choosing specific unions/groups to disenfranchise and the fact they are willing to TALK to folks and discuss things whereas Walker was 'my way or the highway and not one inch'.

Judging from what I've read though, the union impact is roughly the same. Would states not WI be a case of the means justifies the end?
When you absolutely, positively have to kill it with fire...accept no substitutes.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Lyell on May 12, 2011, 09:01:16 PM
Judging from what I've read though, the union impact is roughly the same. Would states not WI be a case of the means justifies the end?

Perception is the big part. No one else showed, pardon my crudeness, their ass to the public in as blunt a way as Gov Walker. He flatly and loudly refused to even remotely consider changing a word or even listen to the oppositions issues. Most of the other states have at least made token gestures to the opposition.

Walker has been a tool from day one and a lot of his moves showed he's working for a massive power grab. The teachers are just the beginning of his spree.

itsbeenfun2000

today the Dane county judge ruled that the did not meet the open meetings act. The question is now how many Republicans will change their minds now that they have seen the backlash. That is if they don't go through the State Supreme Court.

itsbeenfun2000

Figured for those watching this. The Republican party came out today and admitted they may or will run fake democrats to force a primary in the recall elections. Their reason is this will give the incumbents another month to campaign and use up the money for the democratic hopefuls in a primary. It also will cost the taxpayers of Wisconsin more because they will have to run two elections instead of one. I guess it is OK to be wastefull of taxpayers money when it benefits you.

Sariel

I have to agree with the topic starter, the reason we're seeing so much press about the situation in Madison is two fold.  First and foremost state senators held up the original vote by running over state lines to not be available.  The last time this happened was in Texas after several electoral districts within the state were re-drawn and those changes were to be ratified so to speak by the Texas legislature. 

When elected officials go 'on the run' it makes head lines.  I don't believe I've heard of anything similar in any of the other states facing the same issues as we are in Wisconsin.

Secondly, (mind I may have missed something, so if I did I apologize now) I have yet to see anything that indicates in any of the other states the level of civil unrest, constant protest, crazy allegations* of Republican law-makers against said protesters etc., that has occurred in Wisconsin.  Since the day this controversy began there have been hundreds and often thousands of protesters assembled in and around the capital building, with buses occasionally running from gather points around the state to drive people there.

* http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/statements/2011/apr/25/dan-kapanke/wisconsin-sen-dan-kapanke-says-protesters-capitol-/
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/statements/2011/mar/08/mike-huebsch/wisconsin-officials-claim-cleaning-state-capitol-w/

There have been half truths on both sides, however - that is no surprise to me.  What does seem to be clear is that destroying collective bargaining rights for public employees in the state is NOT going to fix the state budget, and that when it comes to spending Scott Walker is dishonest and just as bad as anyone else.  I support unions, I support workers rights, and if the momentum continues against him and his Tea-Party antics we'll likely see him packing his bags next January.  Though, I doubt his replacement will repeal his changes... its just how it goes.

Valerian

Welcome to Walkerville

Eighty years after Hoovervilles sprung up around the country, and four months after tens of thousands descended on the Wisconsin state capitol, progressives have a new home in what they're calling Walkerville.

The Madison tent city is named in honor -- or, more accurately, in defiance -- of Gov. Scott Walker, who became an icon for conservatives and lightning rod for liberals after he pushed through a controversial new collective bargaining law earlier this year.

There are 80-100 tents, and thousands of protesters, now braving heat instead of cold.

http://www.npr.org/2011/06/07/137028551/the-nation-the-republican-they-always-wanted

It is not going well for Walker. Last week, the state Government Accountability Board (a combined elections and ethics agency) certified recall elections against the six targeted Republican senators. At the same time, the board asked for more time to review petitions that were filed against the Democratic senators—following revelations about fraudulent signature-gathering and the inclusion of the names of dead people on the petitions.

The Republicans cried foul and filed legal actions. But last Friday a circuit court judge upheld the accountability board's position, and there is little reason to believe the Republicans will have more success in higher courts.

They will continue the delaying tactics, however, seeking to buy time to advance of the governor's anti-labor, anti-education, anti–social services agenda as they can before their electoral judgment day. But their crude tactics are now so transparent that they have brought the people back into the streets. And the combination of protesting and political action is cornering the governor. He may still think he is the next Ronald Reagan. But he is looking more and more like Herbert Hoover every day.

And in the weird story of the week:

http://www.jsonline.com/watchdog/noquarter/123169908.html

Earlier this year, the governor and first lady Tonette Walker took down [David] Lenz's painting "Wishes in the Wind," a realistic portrait of three children - one black, one Hispanic and one white - playing with bubble wands on a Milwaukee street.

The governor and first lady have replaced it with a century-old painting of Old Abe, a Civil War-era bald eagle from Wisconsin.

The African-American girl, featured in a Journal Sentinel column on homelessness, spent three months at the Milwaukee Rescue Mission with her mother. The Hispanic girl is a member of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee. And the boy's father and brother were killed by a drunken driver in 2009.

"The homeless, central city children and victims of drunk drivers normally do not have a voice in politics," Lenz explained in an email. "This painting was an opportunity for future governors to look these three children in the eye, and I hope, contemplate how their public policies might affect them and other children like them."

He added: "I guess that was a conversation Governor Walker did not want to have."

The library board will display the painting at its central building downtown. But in truth, [Alderman Nik] Kovac said, the people of Milwaukee don't need a Lenz painting to be reminded of the importance of Milwaukee children. He said the work would have served a greater purpose in Madison.

"Once the governor decided he didn't want it, he did everything right," Kovac said of the loan to the Milwaukee library. "But the fact that he didn't want it says a lot."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE