My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Started by Kunoichi, April 10, 2011, 08:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kunoichi

Well, given the show's unusually high popularity elsewhere on the internet, I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.  Is anyone here on E watching the latest My Little Pony Cartoon?

My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic Highlights

It's funny, well-written, has excellent characterization and animation...  It really deserves all the popularity it's gotten, I think. ^^

Phoenixrisen

I watch it with my daughter sometimes. It's one of her favorite television shows. I Haven't really watched enough of it to form an opinion of my own though I don't think.
~A full heart has room for all things, an empty heart room for nothing.~
PM's and Discord messages always welcome.
New folks friendly.

Write a love story with me? Updated 3/30
Curious how to fan the flames?
Updated 9/21

Kunoichi

I rather like it, myself, though I'll admit that I've seen pretty much every episode. ^^; It's a very character-driven show, and the characters tend to grow on you after the first episode or two.

NotCarrot

The only thing stopping the series from being a guilty pleasure is my ever-dwindling supply of guilt over enjoying children's cartoons. Started watching it because of a post on Fandom_Wank that basically boiled down to "Ponies broke 4Chan".

Kunoichi

xD Yeah, I myself heard that, for a while, the mods were auto-banning people who even so much as talked about the show...  They seem to have rolled back their stance on that to something a little more reasonable, though.

So who's your favorite pony?

NotCarrot

As I heard it, the bannings caused a minor explosion the creation of a bunch of new pony-centric image boards and the like. May have had something to do with the relaxation of policies.

To answer your question, it's probably sort of a tie between Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy which makes the opening of 'Sonic Rainboom' a thing of beauty.

Kunoichi

I find myself really relating to Twilight Sparkle, personally. ^^ Though, between Suited for Success and Dog and Pony Show, I also rather like Rarity.

And of course, Rainbow Dash is pretty much at the top, as far as popularity goes...

SinClaire

I was a fan of My Little Pony growing up... I think xD I honestly only remembering having a Rainbow Dash toy, but not much about the show. Particularly because, for some reason, I confused it all with Rainbow Brite =/

I'd all but lost track of it up until a month or so ago, when my girlfriend, who is in her late 20s, sent me the links to the first two episodes of FiM. I was skeptical at first, but then, whenever she recommends something, it's usually very worth it. So, I gave it a shot, and I loved it! The only thing stopping me from watching more of it is the fact that my home internet connection sucks big time, so loading a 20+ mins episode takes me AGES. Still, if it ever comes out on DVD or something, I'd definitely buy it!

Vekseid

For a second I thought this thread would have this:

PonyCraft 2

That error is now fixed >_>

Kunoichi

xD True.  I should have added in the Ponycraft 2 video.  Allow me to make up for my error with another good video...

Call of Cutie: Blank Ops

Callie Del Noire

Kunoichi

Callie Del Noire

NotCarrot

Kunoichi

Might as well add in this fun little image I stumbled across...

Ironwolf85

interisting... ahhh well I'm not going to wqatch it, but it seems to be popular among the furry groups lately.
believe it or not about a year before I joined E I was involved in a MLP role play, it was orignally all furry girls based on the show living togeather (with a lot of fun to read girl on girl scenes) the girls had a blast, and eventually invited some of the guys who'd watch now and then in to play, but they had to do a few M/M scenes for the ladies as well as M/F scenes for everyone.
that was where one of my orignal characters Vernon Hoss came from. by the end he was one of their favotite guys, kind of "head of the harem" so to speak.
well glad to just ramble about the past a bit.
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Kunoichi

Sounds like it was a fun game to play in. ^^ Also sounds like it must have been long-running, too...

Callie Del Noire

Ironwolf85

it was, about seven months five nights a week on chat, with two days off now and then. that's long in internet time.
anyway we all had a lot of fun, the idea for the setting was. "the show has ended, stopped being watched, and stopped being cencored, but the world and it's characters are still there, and now blossem into their own"
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Kunoichi

So, anybody else seen the latest episode, yet? ^^ I think Rainbow Dash just got 20% cooler.

NotCarrot

I dunno about cooler, but the main cast now has 20% more subtext.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Seriously, Dash induced puberty in the entire main cast. Don't tell me that's not at least a LITTLE intentional.

Also, anyone else get the sense that Pinkie's story probably changes a little each time she tells it?

Kunoichi

I don't quite think that comparison works, myself. ^^; The way I see it, getting a cutie mark is a lot closer to finding a career than anything else.  It's about gaining a purpose in life, figuring out what you were meant to do, that sort of thing...

NotCarrot

I dunno, the whole CMC story arc started with Applebloom angsting that she wasn't as grown-up as the rest of her class, in a way that manifested in physical changes around a certain age... (Also, a Quinceanera celebrates the transition from girlhood to womanhood, and the ponies hold similar parties for fillies that get their marks.)

So yeah, the finding-your-path-in-life interpretation is definitely valid, but the first episode was definitely a puberty metaphor, in my mind. So that kinda colors everything relating to it.

Kunoichi

Hmm.  I guess there's compelling evidence both ways...