News:

Main Menu

Anime

Started by Null, December 15, 2013, 10:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yukina

"Fire Force" is definitely on my list as well, Haruki. :) Another one I tried which was rather good yesterday was "To The Abandoned Sacred Beasts".

_Yugi's Summer 2019 Testing List_
-Kouchouki: Wakataki Nobunaga
-Lord El-Melloi (insert a bunch of pointless subtitles here)
-Machikado Mazoku
-Dr. Stone
-Okaa-san Online
-Cencoroll (Connect)
-Ni no Kumi
-Granbelm

Mirrah

Quote from: Bly on July 02, 2019, 04:22:56 PM
I've binged the first two seasons of Tokyo Ghoul. (Yes, I'm behind & know this show isn't a new one; I'm never up to date with any anime nowadays <_< )

I like it more than I thought I was going to like it--the aspects of personal horror in season 1 really appealed to me. But I can tell the anime is leaving stuff out from the manga that is needed for viewers to understand certain characters (esp. in season 2), though, and I've never read the manga. It's that apparent--mostly because certain characters come off as very disjointed without certain explanations of their history and connections.

Art style is remarkably pretty to me.

I'm still just a few episodes into Tokyo Ghoul, and still intent on getting around to it again someday.

Also been meaning to get around to Love is Hard For an Otaku.
"Dream... not of what you are... but of what you want to be." - Margulis
Status: Closed. Semi Hiatus. | Have you taken care of yourself today?

Flower

Right now, I'm watching Miss kobayashi's dragon maid. I think it's adorable and funny although there are some moments that make me scrunch my nose.

I'm being "forced" to watch Neon Genesis Evangelion. The hubs says it was super influential. So far, it's been an interesting watch.

I'm also watching Love is War every now and then. I love, love, love that show.

I also enjoyed Hi Score Girl. The feels.

My brother wants me to watch Attack on Titan since supposedly it was amazing.

Haruki

Quote from: Flower on July 10, 2019, 09:56:48 AMI'm being "forced" to watch Neon Genesis Evangelion. The hubs says it was super influential. So far, it's been an interesting watch.

I've been rewatching Eva in doses, one or twp episodes each round.  For all the negative rap the new English dub is getting, I find it passable, as I did the original from ADV 'back in the day' (2001; dub was done in 1997-1998).  This is just one of those shows that has never avoided controversy and strong opinions, and probably will continue to have controversy and strong opinions follow it until I croak.

It's not meant to be a happy ride, that's for sure.  It's basically what Hideaki Anno was going through during his bout of severe depression, put to the medium of animation.  For that alone it's actually quite stunning, if jarring at times, in a visual sense.  The mecha action and fanservice was really just so it could get a TV slot in prime time hours.

=====

I took in the first episode of Fire Force with its premiere episode.  I'm thinking this one's going to need a few episodes to sink in right now.  I also put a close to Shield Hero earlier tonight.  Despite how many bailed on that show halfway through because it 'turned into a generic fantasy isekai', I kept on with it because I enjoyed it.  I guess isekai are my new guilty pleasure genre.

I also recently bought Log Horizon.  Since my summer anime intake is going to be lightweight, I'll try to find some time to get that in.  I heard nothing but positive things about it.

Finally, I added The Ancient Magus' Bride to my collection in physical form (the English dub, which was well done IMHO, isn't available to stream anymore in the U.S....thanks for nothing Production I.G. and the Crunchy/Funi split!), but that's a show I thought I'd hate early last year when I watched it.  I wound up engrossed with its characters and world.  It was like watching a Studio Ghibli film in a serialized TV series forma.
Always Seeking New Players!!
Want to write with me?  Please see the following below:
=====
My Introduction
O/Os & Lists -- Thread | Profile | Character Profiles | Canon Cravings
Request Threads - Haru's Canon Fodder (Anime, RPGs, etc) | Haru's Wholesome Needs
=====
Eep!! Who's Yanking Me Away by the Ponytail?! (A&As)

Mirrah

The Ancient Magus' Bride was pretty awesome. I also finished up Shield Hero last night with anime buddy. I really liked Log Horizon. Hope you enjoy it!

Fire Force seems interesting, so I'm looking forward to seeing what new episodes bring to the table.

Capone

ADV took liberties with Evangelion that I'm not partial to, but I also watch everything subbed these days. So Eva's new translation being a more literal effort is preferred, especially since they still gave it "flavor" that you wouldn't get if they did an actual literal translation. So for me, it's a better product overall.

Quote from: Mirrah on July 10, 2019, 03:08:41 AM
Also been meaning to get around to Love is Hard For an Otaku.

Ah, Wotakoi? I got the manga to that, actually. It's like Chicken Soup for the anime watching soul. Very much comfort food.

Mirrah

Quote from: Capone on July 11, 2019, 01:31:06 PM
Ah, Wotakoi? I got the manga to that, actually. It's like Chicken Soup for the anime watching soul. Very much comfort food.

Oh, darn. I must read the manga, too! It's been on my list for quite a while!

Haruki

Quote from: Capone on July 11, 2019, 01:31:06 PM
ADV took liberties with Evangelion that I'm not partial to, but I also watch everything subbed these days. So Eva's new translation being a more literal effort is preferred, especially since they still gave it "flavor" that you wouldn't get if they did an actual literal translation. So for me, it's a better product overall.

Gotta hate love the 1990s anime ascension, when translators...or rather, 'script adapters' pretty much went loose and wild, partly ignorance; partly inexperience.  We wound up with things like ADV's release of Evangelion among a slew of dubs that....at best, were passable and are classics today, and others..well....downright AWFUL!  In those days, the most literal translations were probably from Pioneer (Tenchi Muyo - Ryo-Oki OAVs, El-Hazard: The Magnificent World (which Rightstuf / Nozomi FINALLY rescued after too many years being OOP and fetching ridiculous prices second-hand), Fushigi Yuugi, among others)., and Viz (Ranma 1/2, Maison Ikkoku etc), but not too surprising, as both were basically American branches of Japanese companies.  The trouble was, often the dubs were stiff and didn't flow so smoothly.

While most do prefer subbed anime viewing these days, mostly 'cause that's what streaming pushes hard..and still does so even with dubs following a week or so later), I will vouch for them in that they've gotten better overall.  A literal translation that still allows for some wiggle room (but not too much) is key, and the new Evangelion dub / script is more true to the original content in Japanese.
=====
My Introduction
Request Threads - Haru's Canon Fodder (Anime, RPGs, etc) | Haru's Wholesome Needs
=====

Cold Heritage

Peak anime was when they would take like three different shows and splice it together for American consumption, in my humble opinion.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Mantis Shrimp Prime

Quote from: Cold Heritage on July 12, 2019, 01:54:05 AM
Peak anime was when they would take like three different shows and splice it together for American consumption, in my humble opinion.

Ah, yes, the Robotech method...

Capone

Quote from: Haruki on July 11, 2019, 11:12:34 PM
Gotta hate love the 1990s anime ascension, when translators...or rather, 'script adapters' pretty much went loose and wild, partly ignorance; partly inexperience.  We wound up with things like ADV's release of Evangelion among a slew of dubs that....at best, were passable and are classics today, and others..well....downright AWFUL!  In those days, the most literal translations were probably from Pioneer (Tenchi Muyo - Ryo-Oki OAVs, El-Hazard: The Magnificent World (which Rightstuf / Nozomi FINALLY rescued after too many years being OOP and fetching ridiculous prices second-hand), Fushigi Yuugi, among others)., and Viz (Ranma 1/2, Maison Ikkoku etc), but not too surprising, as both were basically American branches of Japanese companies.  The trouble was, often the dubs were stiff and didn't flow so smoothly.

While most do prefer subbed anime viewing these days, mostly 'cause that's what streaming pushes hard..and still does so even with dubs following a week or so later), I will vouch for them in that they've gotten better overall.  A literal translation that still allows for some wiggle room (but not too much) is key, and the new Evangelion dub / script is more true to the original content in Japanese.

To me, as long as the English subtitles to the Japanese language track are different from the English dub track, that's the ideal. The video game Judgment just did this, which video games don't really differentiate between the two translations. There are a lot of anime that differentiate (I forget what I was watching that I took note of the difference on the Blu-Ray/DVD between English subs), but not all of them do, and sometimes you can tell watching Netflix that they may just put the Dub subtitles there.

It's technically extra work, but the Dub has to be modified in order to sync the mouth movements up best they can. I've always understood this requirement when dubbing something. But the subtitles don't need that sort of compromise. So having a game like Judgment do both is, I think, an incredible attention to detail and really ensures that everyone gets the best experience possible.

Quote from: Cold Heritage on July 12, 2019, 01:54:05 AM
Quote from: Mantis Shrimp Prime on July 12, 2019, 03:49:06 AM
Ah, yes, the Robotech method...

Robotech is perhaps the most popular, but I know other shows had done it as well. Voltron is actually a perfect example.

Sessha

Quote from: Haruki on July 02, 2019, 11:51:20 PM

The latter, Record of Grancrest War, I'm grateful for.  Now I don't have to sacrifice my non-existent firstborn and put up with Aniplex's ridiculous pricing on their Blurays to at least check it out.  All I know about it is that it has a very loose connection, or some relation, to the classic RPG-styled, high-fantasy OAV series Record of Lodoss War, which I own and have enjoyed in the past.  Beyond that, I know nothing more, so it'll be a blind watch for me.

Ironically there are two other series that directly tie into the Record of Lodoss War OVA series. Well one of them ties more to the Record of Lodoss War tv series but meh, details. Anyway those series I spoke of were Legend of Crystannia and yes I know it sounds weird and such but trust me the series shares continuity, it's called Rune Soldier Louie.

As for my thoughts on the original Eva and such...eh I liked it and despite the fact it marrs it's story in such twists and turns(not good ones mind you) it's overall story is at the end of the day, nothing more than a boy coming of age story. Though the one thing the original Eva series did do right and it was a happy accident mind you that it happened that way anyway, but it created honestly what can be described as the perfect "Monster of the Week" anime. Though I will always maintain ShinjixKwoaru but I can buy ShinjixAsuka as well.  ;D ;D ;D
Locked, cocked and ready to rock!

Capone

Quote from: Sessha on July 16, 2019, 12:19:54 AM
As for my thoughts on the original Eva and such...eh I liked it and despite the fact it marrs it's story in such twists and turns(not good ones mind you) it's overall story is at the end of the day, nothing more than a boy coming of age story. Though the one thing the original Eva series did do right and it was a happy accident mind you that it happened that way anyway, but it created honestly what can be described as the perfect "Monster of the Week" anime. Though I will always maintain ShinjixKwoaru but I can buy ShinjixAsuka as well.  ;D ;D ;D

One of the most unwise things on the Internet is to try and get into a conversation over whether Evangelion is over-rated or not and so I tried to ignore this, but it's the sort of interpretation that so clearly misses the mark. To perceive it as a story about growing up -- which is effectively what a coming of age story is -- perceives only the most superficial elements and focusing exclusively on Shinji devoid of his relations with others, as well as how the other characters interact with each other.

Because if it was about growing up, then the entire cast would need to do so as well. The show's themes are focused on human relationships and the barriers we place in order to protect ourselves. The contradiction of wanting to be loved but being so afraid of hurt and rejection you put up barriers. Everyone lectures Shinji for his problems but the truth of the matter is that they're all the very same, just different manifestations of the problem. Which is why the "antagonistic force" is quite literally the unification of all humanity so that there are no barriers.

It's not about Shinji growing up and becoming an adult. To say that would be equivalent of saying, when you strip everything else away, Fullmetal Alchemist is a coming of age story. I mean, at the most superficial readings I guess? But that then disregards all the philosophy about consequences, equivalent exchange, and the self versus the group that encapsulates the whole series.

Haruki

Quote from: Capone on July 16, 2019, 03:15:05 PM
One of the most unwise things on the Internet is to try and get into a conversation over whether Evangelion is over-rated or not and so I tried to ignore this, but it's the sort of interpretation that so clearly misses the mark. To perceive it as a story about growing up -- which is effectively what a coming of age story is -- perceives only the most superficial elements and focusing exclusively on Shinji devoid of his relations with others, as well as how the other characters interact with each other.

Because if it was about growing up, then the entire cast would need to do so as well. The show's themes are focused on human relationships and the barriers we place in order to protect ourselves. The contradiction of wanting to be loved but being so afraid of hurt and rejection you put up barriers. Everyone lectures Shinji for his problems but the truth of the matter is that they're all the very same, just different manifestations of the problem. Which is why the "antagonistic force" is quite literally the unification of all humanity so that there are no barriers.

It's not about Shinji growing up and becoming an adult. To say that would be equivalent of saying, when you strip everything else away, Fullmetal Alchemist is a coming of age story. I mean, at the most superficial readings I guess? But that then disregards all the philosophy about consequences, equivalent exchange, and the self versus the group that encapsulates the whole series.

What I highlighted above, that's exactly what I took away from Evangelion.  You also see throughout the series prior to its final two episodes, how the characters act, interact with others, etc.  We get the 'what makes them tick / why are they like this' in those final two answers.  Not answered neatly or clearly, mind you.

Lots of fans went apes*** back in the day because I think many were expecting a big action-filled conclusion (got it with the End of Evangelion film), and in being realistic here, the budget by the show's end was dried up to nothing....the animation, or lack thereof, was terrible....the fast cutaways and imagery can make ones' head spin.  The same thing happened to His & Her Circumstances (Kare Kano) a few years later....nevermind the behind-the-scenes spit battle between Anno and that manga's author.

GAINAX seemed to always find ways to drain their alotted budget to $0 somehow.

(Aside:  Speaking of His & Her Circumstances, that's another show that could use a complete re-do.  With the manga having concluded years ago, that's now possible.)
=====
My Introduction
=====

Azuresun

Finished watching Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind, and I'd say it's a good watch, but a notch below parts 3 and 4.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

The big problem I had was that the structure of the story takes a lot of cues from Pt3--a bunch of bros on a road trip towards a final boss--but Diavolo just isn't as compelling a final villain as Dio. He doesn't have the screen time, the build-up or the personal relationship to the protagonists. Also, the climax felt like it stumbled a bit--like it was trying to revisit Pt3, but there, Jotaro's power-up was a logical extension of what he could already do, whereas Giorno's plan seemed to be "stab myself, hope it gives me a power that's even more hax than his hax", and it luckily happened to work. Add to that that I'm not actually sure what actually happened to counter King Crimson, and the ending felt like a bit of a damp squib compared to the more easily followable confrontations with Dio or Kira.

Nitpicks aside, it was a really fun ride. If you like the Araki trademarks of gorgeous visuals, neat character designs, and really smart, creative shonen battles, you'll love this one. Looking forward to seeing how Pt6 works out, considering the little I've heard about it. Oh, and

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Polnareff is a tortoise now.

Zaer Darkwail

I have finished watching several animes this month and quite happy about it (One Punch Man season 2, That's NOT the way summon demon lord, Rise of the Shield Hero), now started watch Youjou Senki. Attack of Titan seasons 2 and 3 are in watch list as well Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (watched the first published version of series years ago).

Also for sake cultural education on recent popular animes should check Dragon Maids as well and for historical significance Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.

Capone

So AnimEigo has been using Kickstarter to produce excellent Blu-Ray editions of niche or limited-run classic anime for some time. They did Otaku No Video and are currently preparing to ship Gunsmith Cats. They've just launched their kickstarter for Megazone 23, which has already reached its goal and helped push the OVA boom forward win the 1980's.

I'll let this paragraph speak for itself, though:

QuoteThe team that created Megazone 23 includes a Who's Who of anime legends, including (just to name a few) ISHIGURO Noboru (Macross, Yamato), ITANO Ichirō (creator of the “Macross Missile Massacre”), MIYAO Gaku (Devil Hunter Yōko), MIKIMOTO Haruhiko (Macross, Gunbuster), ANNO Hideaki (Evangelion), YATAGAI Kenichi (Bubblegum Crisis), ARAMAKI Shinji (Appleseed), HOSHIYAMA Hiroyuki (Dirty Pair), ARII Emu (Bubblegum Crash), SAGISU Shirō (Evangelion), MORIMOTO Koji (The Animatrix), YŪKI Nobuteru (Vision of Escaflowne), KAKINOUCHI Narumi and HIRANO Toshiki (Vampire Princess Miyu), UMETSU Yasuomi (Kite), and KITAZUME Hiroyuki (Gundam).

That "Macross Missile Massacre" also goes by the name of "Itano Circus". Basically, there's a lot of DNA in this project that would later go on to do a whole bunch of other great things.

I know there's a lot of debate between old fans and new fans when it comes to quality of animation pre-digital versus post-digital, but from my perspective there's just something about those moments you can tell an entire environment was animated frame-by-frame. The industry uses a lot of cel-shaded 3D and other cheats in order to portray vehicles and moving scenery, but when you see in old shows like Megazone or other anime those moments where an entire environment will move and shift and maintain its consistency in shape and dimension, it's just... it's so impressive. So yeah, there are moments that aren't as smoothly executed, but so many shortcuts are taken today that truly impressive moments rarely stand-out, if that makes sense.

Naturally, I'm backing this. I've actually never seen Megazone 23, but based on the trailers and clips they've shown and the names involved, I'd be dumb not to grab this. It's the sort of anime that no one seems interested in making anymore.

Demeverett

My favorite anime series: Kakegurui, Elfen Lied, Another.

Mirrah

Quote from: Demeverett on August 30, 2019, 05:00:23 PM
My favorite anime series: Kakegurui, Elfen Lied, Another.

Kakegurui was... something else. XD

Those were enjoyable anime that you listed!

Demeverett

And this is why I love Kakegurui. It is so fresh and original. So many good ideas that you cannot even compare with something. I hope there will be season 3. Did you know there is also Kakegurui drama with real actors? But it's far worse.

Why don't you list your favorites? Or maybe you did... This thread is so long I couldn't read everything.

Mirrah

I have only seen season 1 of Kakegurui, but I did know that there was a live action. I usually don't watch live action versions of shows though, because I cringe a lot during them. XD

Favorites? There's a lot. ^^; One of the ones I recently watched is Fire Brigade.

I also really liked Dororo.

MaryRose

Quote from: Mirrah on August 31, 2019, 05:16:58 PM
I have only seen season 1 of Kakegurui, but I did know that there was a live action. I usually don't watch live action versions of shows though, because I cringe a lot during them. XD

Favorites? There's a lot. ^^; One of the ones I recently watched is Fire Brigade.

I also really liked Dororo.

Oh I really liked Kakrgurui! I'm like you in that I've only seen season 1. I meant to watch season 2, but I completely forgot! I haven't seen the live action either. Have you seen the Ouran High live action? It's actually pretty good haha! I always recommend it. I thought it was hysterical ^_^

I started watching Demon Slayer so I'll continue through that (I'm only episode 5 or 6), but afterwards I need to go and watch season 2 of One Punch Man. I forgot that happened too haha! I'm so bad at keeping up with anime XD

Mirrah

Quote from: MaryRose on September 01, 2019, 01:19:33 AM
Oh I really liked Kakrgurui! I'm like you in that I've only seen season 1. I meant to watch season 2, but I completely forgot! I haven't seen the live action either. Have you seen the Ouran High live action? It's actually pretty good haha! I always recommend it. I thought it was hysterical ^_^

I started watching Demon Slayer so I'll continue through that (I'm only episode 5 or 6), but afterwards I need to go and watch season 2 of One Punch Man. I forgot that happened too haha! I'm so bad at keeping up with anime XD

I think I did watch the live action of Ouran High, but I'm not 100% certain at the moment. XD

I think I finished season 2 of One Punch Man, but I do want to continue where I left off with Demon Slayer as well as Fire Brigade. ^^

Haruki

Quote from: MaryRose on September 01, 2019, 01:19:33 AM
Oh I really liked Kakegurui! I'm like you in that I've only seen season 1. I meant to watch season 2....

This is on Netflix, right?  I'm in the middle of another show, but once I'm done with that, I'll dive in.
=====
My Introduction
=====

CaptainNexus616

Just watched the first episode of Goblin Slayer and boy what an experience that was. In all honesty though the way the title character operates is what I envisioned a Witcher anime would be like. A professional using his wits and skills to make up for the lack of anime power ups.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌