Interest check: ShadowRun 4, Seattle Adventures

Started by GloomCookie, July 04, 2013, 09:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GloomCookie

I've recently been big on Shadow Run and I was thinking how nice it would be to have a Shadow Run game, preferably with people who are aware that their GM is still learning how Shadow Run works. So anyone willing to put up with me while I try and convert some 3rd edition missions to 4th and how the mechanics work, that would be great.

In case anyone is wondering there will be five books, Core Rulebook, Arsenal, Augmentation, Street Magic, and Unwired.
My DeviantArt

Ons and Offs Updated 9 October 2022

Videospirit

My interest has been claimed. I like to play Mages or Hackers. Are you planning on running us through premade scenarios mostly than? Anything in specific you're looking for from the characters, like a shared past, professional reputation for getting jobs done quietly, every character a grizzled combat veteran who can slug it out with the best of them, a minimum number of contacts for every player, that kind of thing?

Robyn Hood

I've been very interested in playing in a setting like this. I am completely unfamiliar with the rules and would need guidance to get started and be up to speed on how it works.

What section would this game take place in?

ReijiTabibito

SR4e!  My interest is spiked, I've got a handful of character types that I could use...and I bring to the table a knowledge of the rules and such, so Linna, if you want any help...

Muse

I would love to play, please. 

I've played a few times--mostly tabletop--and enjoyed fourth edition.  The differences to the matrix will surely make some work for the conversion, but it still sounds exciting. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Blinkin

I've been hankering for a SR game for years. I just have 2 problems...

I know next to nothing about SR 4E. I have a partial rulebook, so if someone could give me a hand on character creation... great.

2. I'm blind. Doesn't effect my posting, but pics are out of my ability range...

and lastly, anyone got a problem with a sniper type? If there is still space, consider me interested.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

GloomCookie

Quote from: Videospirit on July 04, 2013, 10:16:35 PM
My interest has been claimed. I like to play Mages or Hackers. Are you planning on running us through premade scenarios mostly than? Anything in specific you're looking for from the characters, like a shared past, professional reputation for getting jobs done quietly, every character a grizzled combat veteran who can slug it out with the best of them, a minimum number of contacts for every player, that kind of thing?
The premade scenarios I have are geared for characters who are just beginning their Shadow Running careers.  They've never been on a job before and it's only because they're unknowns that they even got the job.  Basically, one morning around 1030, they get a phone call from a friend of a friend to show up at a sports bar in downtown Seattle for a quick job.  No real details, take it or leave it.  You have no contacts yet, not even a fixer.

Quote from: Robyn Hood on July 04, 2013, 10:23:00 PM
I've been very interested in playing in a setting like this. I am completely unfamiliar with the rules and would need guidance to get started and be up to speed on how it works.

What section would this game take place in?
The game will take place in and around Seattle, UCAS.  For those needing rules, there's the Quick-Start Rules pdf that'll cover the basic rules and the more detailed stuff will be done on my end.  Also you might want to pick up a copy of Chummer as it helps in character creation.

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on July 04, 2013, 10:36:32 PM
SR4e!  My interest is spiked, I've got a handful of character types that I could use...and I bring to the table a knowledge of the rules and such, so Linna, if you want any help...
I will probably rely on you quite a bit since I'm still getting up to speed on the rules once more.

Quote from: Muse on July 05, 2013, 01:54:15 AM
I would love to play, please. 

I've played a few times--mostly tabletop--and enjoyed fourth edition.  The differences to the matrix will surely make some work for the conversion, but it still sounds exciting. 
I have a conversion table for moving characters over.  Still figuring out the differences between 3e and 4e when it comes to the Matrix.

Quote from: Blinkin on July 05, 2013, 03:51:24 AM
I've been hankering for a SR game for years. I just have 2 problems...

I know next to nothing about SR 4E. I have a partial rulebook, so if someone could give me a hand on character creation... great.

2. I'm blind. Doesn't effect my posting, but pics are out of my ability range...

and lastly, anyone got a problem with a sniper type? If there is still space, consider me interested.
The character generation can be done with the aid of Chummer, and I'll go ahead and specify how to set it up.  It's a .zip file that you download to a folder of your choice and then run.  Before starting a new character, go to Tools > Options, and there will be a long list with lots of little check boxes.  Make sure you check four additional source books: Arsenal, Augmentation, Street Magic, and Unwired.  Those are the four books we'll be using.  As far as character specifics go, you will be limited to 300 Build Points and a maximum availability of 6.  I think that's about right for characters starting their careers. 

You asked about a sniper.  You can play a sniper but I'll be honest, you're going to be more useful as a Street Samurai or something along those lines.  I'm not going to tell you how to play your character, but if you want to be a former sniper in the Army that's certainly possible, just be aware that if you limit yourself to sniper rifles, you're going to have a hell of a time being useful when it's up close and personal.  Of course, checking Chummer's files, there's not a single sniper rifle under 10F, and being seen with one in public will get you a nice quick chat with a Lone Star Officer or dozen.

As far as future characters go, I would like to limit it to just the peeps I've got so far as long as you build your characters.  5 or so seems like a good number.  One thing I would like to point out is that while sex can take place in this game, please remember that the goal is to do things to earn money and what not.  While you can certainly visit a strip club every night once you're paid, remember that I will be marking your expenditures on your sheets and when you go to buy that pretty new pistol, don't come bitching when I remind you that the down payment on it was left in a stripper's panties the night before.

Also, and while I don't mean to go off on a tangent, please be aware that I have a standing rule on any games I GM for: Stupidity gets punished.  We all have our moments of stupid, me more so than others, but that does not mean you can just erase the dumb stuff that you do.  If you need an example of how NOT to act, please read The Clue Files.  If you're still alive after laughing so hard you can't breathe, please take a moment and consider how your actions will be perceived.  It may make perfect sense to tackle someone but if you're out in public on a busy street, you can bet Lone Star will either see it or hear about it soon enough.  Sometimes it's better to have a bit of patience and wait till they're in a secluded alley before deciding his liver could use some fresh air.

So if you're still with me and willing to stick with it, I'm more than happy to run a game for you guys.
My DeviantArt

Dracorion

I'd also like to note my interest. There's a shanan I've been craving to play.

AndyZ

Not to be mean but you may want to hold off a bit. 5e comes out in less than a week
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

GloomCookie

Quote from: AndyZ on July 05, 2013, 10:25:02 AM
Not to be mean but you may want to hold off a bit. 5e comes out in less than a week

I'm too poor to buy 5e so I'm not looking forward to the release other than as a new version I'll have to wait for. 

Quote from: Dracorion on July 05, 2013, 07:48:32 AM
I'd also like to note my interest. There's a shanan I've been craving to play.
Hmm... I guess we'll let you in too ;) get Chummer and get started with a character.
My DeviantArt

Dracorion

Ah damn, not using Runner's Companion? I was hoping to have my character be a SURGEd wolfgirl.

ReijiTabibito

Wait...300 BP?  Half the normal Availability?  No contacts?  No RC book?

*headshake*  Sorry, I'm out.  This isn't Shadowrun, this is Grand Theft Corporation.

EDIT: I'm still available for system reference and help questions, however.

Videospirit

The availability limit is more of a problem than the BP points, since 400BP characters are usually fairly talented.

Much of the gear in the 7-12 availability range is perfectly legal and easy enough to obtain though.

I'll still play in this game.

Blinkin

I have a street sam that Muse created for me some months ago, but it's not a 300 buy... So, I'll try to see if Chummer will work with my accessible software and see what happens. Thanks.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Blinkin

Well, I have the quick start rules, but Chummer just will not work on my system. I don't mind making the character the hard way, but the character generator is out... if this will be a problem, I'll withdraw my interest.

As always, the system is too old and my screen reader gets in the way.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

GloomCookie

OK I'll raise the availability to 12.  I was just thinking that since you're just starting out, the harder to get stuff would be, well, harder to get.  But if you guys insist, I'll raise it to 12.  The BP limit though... hmm... 350 should be ok.  I just wanted to make sure you guys didn't start out as hardened Runners when you're starting your career.

Quote from: Blinkin on July 05, 2013, 01:11:02 PM
Well, I have the quick start rules, but Chummer just will not work on my system. I don't mind making the character the hard way, but the character generator is out... if this will be a problem, I'll withdraw my interest.

As always, the system is too old and my screen reader gets in the way.

If you can get me a character sheet I can convert to chummer on my end.

Quote from: Dracorion on July 05, 2013, 11:23:09 AM
Ah damn, not using Runner's Companion? I was hoping to have my character be a SURGEd wolfgirl.

Some of the basic stuff in RC is covered by Chummer automatically, but since I don't have the book I can't read it to tell what is and isn't offered.
My DeviantArt

ReijiTabibito

Linna, there's another SR4e Chargen program out there that I have - it's free - and it tells you all the stuff that comes from the RC in terms of qualities when you look at it.  Maybe I can dig up a link?

And if you need to, I've got the RC book on hand, so I can evaluate charsheets for stuff from it.

Marie Reynolds

If you don't mind a Shadow Runner Newblet I would not mind jumping in on this.

GloomCookie

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on July 05, 2013, 02:04:39 PM
Linna, there's another SR4e Chargen program out there that I have - it's free - and it tells you all the stuff that comes from the RC in terms of qualities when you look at it.  Maybe I can dig up a link?

And if you need to, I've got the RC book on hand, so I can evaluate charsheets for stuff from it.

Chummer will tell me all that, I just wish I had a copy of the RC book so I could say yes to additions.  As it stands, having a GM who can't reference a book means I'm at a huge disadvantage.

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on July 05, 2013, 02:12:55 PM
If you don't mind a Shadow Runner Newblet I would not mind jumping in on this.

I'll add your name to the list as a backup in case Reiji doesn't want to come back.  I might go ahead and include you, we'll just have to see what happens, yeah?
My DeviantArt

ReijiTabibito

What do you mean by additions?  Also, even with the changes to the charcreate, I'm thinking that if I'm going to be helping out the GM with the system, then it might be best for me if I stayed out of the game, that way I don't have any incentive to bend the rules or otherwise manipulate them in anyone's interest.

I mean, I might come back in, but...I'm still thinking it over.

Blinkin

Hmmm... the quick reference doesn't actually tell me anything about creating a character... figures.

May I ask for help in the process? Mr. Muse?
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Callie Del Noire

Muse

*waves to Blinkin* 

Would be glad to help. 

What character generation rules did we end up with?  I didn't see the reduced starting character points 'til Reiji mentioned them. 

Are we supposed to not buy contacts? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

GloomCookie

Quote from: Muse on July 05, 2013, 06:33:04 PM
*waves to Blinkin* 

Would be glad to help. 

What character generation rules did we end up with?  I didn't see the reduced starting character points 'til Reiji mentioned them. 

Are we supposed to not buy contacts?

No, and the reason is you're supposed to be given all your contacts based on how you do.  You start off getting a call from a friend of a friend, and then you go from there.  I know Reiji was upset by it but that's part of the appeal for me to run this mission set, because you're starting out with basically nothing but the bare essentials, and you're dependent more on success than anything else.  It's a higher challenge curve, and I know that I can build very effective characters using 350 points, you just can't get the really fancy stuff right off the bat.

So the final charbuild rules are 350 BP and availability 12. 
My DeviantArt

Muse

Thank you, Liana.  That's a little hard on casters and others dependent upon powers to be competitive with equipment, but that's okay.  :) 

Videospirit

Huh... just about finished my 300 point character with 6 availability, and now I have to go buy all this new stuff that's suddenly been made available :p. Mages and technomancers are the only thing that really suffers with reduced points. Anyone else could be quite competent with 300 points. There was more stuff under 7 availability than I thought too.

Also... the runner's compendium is not essential at all, we'll be perfectly capable of playing without the book. There is nothing in that book that should prevent a player from joining this campaign from not having it.

Blinkin

I'm in touch with Mr. Ah-Muse-ing and I'm hoping that he'll turn me out a street sam that will have some chance of living beyond a hang-nail incident.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Muse

*Grins*  I'm sure we can do that. 

Linna, did you want any erotic content potential in this story? 

At your convenience, could you check the Disadvantages materials you use and tell me if Lost Love is avaible? 

If I go with my mage concept, it's kind of key, so I hope it'll work. 

Day Job would be nice too, but not necessary. 

Edit: That's Lost Loved One.  :)   Not Lost Love. 

GloomCookie

Quote from: Muse on July 05, 2013, 08:06:22 PM
*Grins*  I'm sure we can do that. 

Linna, did you want any erotic content potential in this story? 

At your convenience, could you check the Disadvantages materials you use and tell me if Lost Love is avaible? 

If I go with my mage concept, it's kind of key, so I hope it'll work. 

Day Job would be nice too, but not necessary. 

Edit: That's Lost Loved One.  :)   Not Lost Love.
I know for a fact it's not, and day job is also unavailable. It's in Runners Companion which is unavailable to me. I will try and get a copy of the book here in the next few days so don't take that as my final answer, just please bear with me.

As far as erotic possibility, you can have sex with hookers, each other, etc, just remember that you do have to face consequences, like rolling that you don't get some std that you will have to then have treated or be stuck with. This is one of those games that as a GM, I have plenty of ways to punish anyone I need to for stupid moves.
My DeviantArt

Videospirit

So Sex falls under "Stupid moves" for this game? ;p.

Mirage, a Hacker

That chummer thing really doesn't lend itself to giving files to share easily I guess.

ReijiTabibito

Actually, it looks like you've got plenty of interest from this game, Linna, so you don't need me.  I'll be over here if you need system help, though.

GloomCookie

Quote from: Videospirit on July 05, 2013, 11:20:51 PM
So Sex falls under "Stupid moves" for this game? ;p.

Mirage, a Hacker

That chummer thing really doesn't lend itself to giving files to share easily I guess.
I never said that. Just said that if you do something stupid there would be consequences. You can hump your brains out for all I care.

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on July 05, 2013, 11:23:46 PM
Actually, it looks like you've got plenty of interest from this game, Linna, so you don't need me.  I'll be over here if you need system help, though.
Aweh ok then
My DeviantArt

Marie Reynolds

Let me know if you need to draw from team B. ;D

GloomCookie

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on July 06, 2013, 08:06:03 AM
Let me know if you need to draw from team B. ;D

*Tosses Marie into the mix and begins to stir*
My DeviantArt

Blinkin

Ok, since it does seem stupid to have sex with anything at all.. or even someone that you might know well... and that everyone in the sprawl has an STD...I suppose that it's time to say that I'm not touching any furry PC with a bio-hazard suit, a condom and a IV drip of Vankamiasen (SP?)...

If you don't want any erotic content, just say so. Hell, in a group game, I have yet to see one myself. lol

And then... it's my luck that if there was an erotic event, some troll with a mohawk, 20kilo of gold necklaces and a bad attitude would break in and say, "I pitty the fool! before hosing the place with explosive rounds, a handgrenade and a bottle of lemon juice just to add insult to injury... Would that make the stupid files? ;)
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Videospirit

For players accustomed to earlier version of shadowrun, the move to wireless in shadowrun 4 has caused a few lifestyle changes that make a couple pieces of gear absolutely essential.

All characters will want to have some method of seeing augmented reality(Image link Glasses are the standard way of doing this) as nowadays most people don't even bother putting up signs or price tags and the like in the real world, and everyone should really have a comm-link, as Wireless functionality allows ID checks to be performed automatically, and you will be barred from doing a lot of things or get into a lot of trouble if you aren't broadcasting a "valid"(It can be a fake one just as long as it checks out) S.I.N.

Blinkin

I'm a little unclear on the stupid actions and consequences. I read the clueless files and by and large, those are pretty significant in how outragiously foolharty the not overly bright... or perhaps just young... players could be. Those are, I hope are the extreme end of rare events.

On the other hand, very inexperienced people usually make more than one mistake when they try something new to them, and that is without the stress of doing it illegally, under fire or just trying to not get caught. As I understand the set-up, the characters have limited experience and mistakes are as likely as not to be from inexperience as from stupidity.

As an example, a character has to steal a car and picks out a likely target on a street that looks deserted at 3:30 AM. He knows that the car has an alarm and a GPS that can be tracked... and he manages to disable both of these things... if he's caught on a camera 30 stories above as he drives away, is this stupidity or inexperience? Both results in the same result if he's even moderately unlucky. My point is that you cannot account for everything and what someone might considr "Stupid" may be as much from inexperience or not picking up on the subtle clues.

So, how hard are you going to be on this subject? I'm still going to play, and a character is forming nicely (General description follows), but a little more clarification would be nice.

Admittedly, screwing a silencer onto a gun in a cop hang-out is not the most well thought out thing to do... nor is robbing a convenience store because the clerk asked you if it was your car getting gas... The character deserves the wrost in those cases... But if not stating that you lock your cardoor hit the stupid monitor, it'll be nice to know about in advance.

Anyway, a brief bio of my Street Sam.

Name; Joesph LittleBear
Street name: Injun Joe
Metatype: Human
Archtype: Street Sam

Joseph Littlebear is the product of a Mexican mother and a Native American father; not particularly accepted by either side of his heritage. When his father died of "unusual circomstances," he found himself dropped in the middle of nowhere Mexico with his mother and joining a gang simply to survive.

When an offer was made by a guy in a suit to the leader of the gang to do a little "Job" for some really good pay, Joe found himself participating in a bit of wetwork that turned bad fast and hard. The only one to make it out alive, he ran north to escape the fact that he could be linked to both an attempted murder of a corp rep of no small consequence... and the fact that he could identify the guy who hired them... in time, he even linked the hit to Aztechnology and this put a mark on his head... and a vendetta he was determined to someday collect on.

He ventually found himself in Seattle and doing whatever he needed to put food in his belly and some kinda roof over his head. He had managed to pick up a fake SIN or two to hide his own and became known simply as Injun Joe.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

GloomCookie

I want to make this abundantly clear because apparently I haven't already:

I WILL NOT PUNISH SEX.  I WILL NOT PUNISH FOR INNOCENT ROOKIE MISTAKES.  I WILL PUNISH STUPID ACTIONS TAKEN WITHOUT THINKING.

If you do something so blatantly stupid that I'm left staring at the screen dumbfounded, I will punish you for it.  This can include shooting someone just for looking at you funny in broad daylight on a busy street.  This can include trying to rob a strip club.  This can include walking down the street in illegal armor in full view without even trying to conceal it.  Yes, sometimes we forget that our armor is illegal, and I understand that.  But if I remind you, and you still do it, I'm not holding back.

Now, on to Mr. Injun Joe... yeah, that's not flying.  Reason is, if you're in the Mexico region (Also referred to by Atzland), there are native tribes there too.  If you need a reference, check here for various tribes you can use as a background.  If your heritage is Mexican and Native American, you might pick up the name Jose Xiichipari (White Horse in Matlatzinca) from the village of San Juan Atzingo, not far from Cuernavaca, which is a decently sized town south of Tenochtitlan (Mexico City).  If you need a street name, try Caballo, which is Spanish for Horse.  It ties together your heritage and the horse is powerful yet graceful and very fast.  Just a suggestion.

If you want to be part of a street gang, fine, but if you're new on the ShadowRun scene, you would pop up on someone's radar if you had an Aztechnology bounty on your head.  If you did get that bounty, what are the details?  Why did you flee to Seattle instead of, say, Amazonia?  Or even to Europe?  What makes Seattle so appealing to you?  Is it distance?  Because there's a relative there?  Give me details so that I can make use of your backstory.  Remember, the more details I have on you, the more I can tweak missions to be more interesting to you and your character instead of just a job.  Maybe the job targeting Aztechnology could give you the chance to erase your bounty.  Maybe a job with Ares includes an offer to pay off your bounty.  Maybe someone comes gunning for you after recognizing you from a wanted poster.  The more you give me now, the more I can give you later.
My DeviantArt

Videospirit

Any issues with Mirage's backstory Linna? It's not set in stone at the moment if there are problems.

GloomCookie

Real Life has this nasty way of sneaking up on me from behind and grabbing me away.  I really hate this but RL is gonna drag me away for some time and I don't know when I'll be back, so the game's gonna need to go on hiatus.  Really sorry guys :(
My DeviantArt

Blinkin

Hey, as Dr. Malcomn says in Jurrasic Park... Life finds a way... to screw up the best laid plans.

I'll be around when you're ready
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Muse

Aw.  *hugs  Linna.* 

Well, thank you for trying.