West Borough Baptist Church to picket Dio's funeral

Started by Muninn, May 22, 2010, 01:04:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

I wouldn't be surprised if the Patriot Guard did show up in force, though they usually stick to military funerals. Though the idea of drowning them out with rock music is an even better idea, it should at least be proposed to people who could potentially make it happen.

As for the WBC themselves....the Ku Klux Klan has a disclaimer on its website disavowing the WBC and refusing any and all associations with them. That should serve as a pretty accurate evaluation of what scum these people are.

Paladin

Quote from: Sabby on May 22, 2010, 01:29:41 AM
*zips up his fire proof leotard, crosses his leg over an ATV and hefts a paintball gun on his shoulder* Well, I've got a funeral crash to crash.

Me too. Remember to partially freeze those painballs. make them hurt more.

Serephino

When they get in your face you say 'I am not God, therefore it is not my place to judge'.   My teacher taught me that phrase.  Easier said then done I know.  Believe me... I have a fiery temper....  But that phrase is basically using their own claims against them.  It does say in the Bible "Judge not lest ye be judged."  I think there are a bunch of other references too, but I can't remember them.  But using their own reasoning against them usually leaves people like that speechless because if they argue against their own book then they aren't true Christians are they?  It makes them look bad.   

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Sparkling Angel on May 23, 2010, 10:34:24 PM
When they get in your face you say 'I am not God, therefore it is not my place to judge'.   My teacher taught me that phrase.  Easier said then done I know.  Believe me... I have a fiery temper....  But that phrase is basically using their own claims against them.  It does say in the Bible "Judge not lest ye be judged."  I think there are a bunch of other references too, but I can't remember them.  But using their own reasoning against them usually leaves people like that speechless because if they argue against their own book then they aren't true Christians are they?  It makes them look bad.   

It depends if they're the kind that's just zealotistically focused on their beliefs, or outright malicious. Being able to fight them on their own ground, so to speak, will at least trip up the former - the latter just decide you're an unbeliever, perverting the true meaning of the Bible and so they don't have to listen to you.

Brandon

Something I usually ask zealots is this: "How can you presume to know what god wants or does?"
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Shores

I remember watching this youtube video. Was it from here? Basically, for every hour the WBC protests, people pledge to donate a certain amount to the people they are protesting against. So, the more they protest, the more money goes to the charity they would be against.

Ah, the sweet, sweet smell of passive aggressiveness.

Tharic

Damn.. I didn't even *know* Ronnie James Dio had died until I saw this thread..

I saw Dio back in concert before.. Good stuff, not only of my favorite 80's metal bands in concert (Yes I'm talking about you Iron Maiden) but still a good show..

Zakharra

This is probably bad of me but...  Who is Ronnie James Dio?

Sam

Quote from: Zakharra on May 24, 2010, 10:04:22 AM

In brief: he was probably one of the most accomplished vocalists of the heavy metal world, fronting at different times Rainbow, Black Sabbath, Heaven & Hell and his own band, Dio.

Oniya

Quote from: Zakharra on May 24, 2010, 10:04:22 AM

It's okay - I didn't discover his music until last summer.  He's got a strong sense of the mythic in his music, which appealed to me, as well as being more melodic than the common impression of 'heavy' metal (knew a lot more than three power chords - I'm talking to you, Angus Young!).
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sam

National Acrobat

It's really worth checking Dio out chronologically from Elf in 1972 all the way through Heaven and Hell in 2009 to hear the evolution. 'Trying to Burn the Sun' by Elf, 'Rising' by Rainbow, 'Heaven and Hell' by Black Sabbath, 'Holy Diver' by Dio are what I consider to be the bright spots in his career. Rainbow was essentially two bands with totally different directions, the Dio era and the after Dio era where they were basically pop-AOR.

MercyfulFate

Anyone else want to commit heinous acts of violence against the Westboro idiots? I sure do.

Sorry, I was listening to Cannibal Corpse and metal makes me violent and want to appease Satan.  ;D

National Acrobat

Wendy Dio is advocating that Westboro be confronted with kindness.

Personally, I think they should be ignored, and the media should stop covering them, so they'll go away. When they were up here at Virginia Tech a few weeks ago, many students were telling the local news media to simply not cover them, and they would go away.

Of course, moth to a flame...

Sam

Well, the memorial service happened and it appears the Westboro folks made little to no impact.  So all ends well.

Queen Be Damned Sheiba

Sabby

Avi

Forgive my ignorance, but who exactly is Dio?  ???  I've never heard of this person before, though I definitely think WBC takes things WAY too far.
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

Oniya

Ronnie James Dio was a heavy metal guitarist and vocalist.  He performed with Black Sabbath for a number of years, and is credited with popularizing the 'devil-horns' gesture made by heavy metal fans.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Lord Drake

I'm going to go with the "Ignore" thing actually. I would even end up advising against going with the paintball equipment against them.

Mark me, I dislike stupid zealotry but I am having the distinct idea that what this guys want is mainly publicity. Those kind of organizations need funding and fundamentalism, to be funded, HAS to appear somewhere. The more quietly this thing is take care of, the better.

As it seems, things have gone the right way.

;D
Hey.. where did you put that Drake?
I've taken the Oath of The Drake for Group RPs!
“Never waste your time trying to explain who you are
to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.”
— Dream Hampton

Hunter

Oniya

West Borough Baptist Church is the group that pickets military funerals with the 'God hates fags' signs.

Hunter

Oniya

Ramael

The best tonic would be letting them on a talkshow...with intelligent liberal Christians.

Watch them tear into their own kind as black, gay, and transexual Christians try to reason politely with their embarrassing, foaming-at-the-mouth, inbred, moron, white trash, scumbag "fellow" believers.