Pathfinder D&D: Dreamscarred Press' Path of War, using Tome of Battle system

Started by Skynet, August 18, 2013, 06:56:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Brady

What happened?  Seriously, what made them do it.  The Tome of Battle book was the most reviled book on the Pathfinder forums for at least the year it came out.  Not to mention that most players of PFRPG seemed to hate it with an unholy passion.  So why the change?

Not complaining, it was my favourite of all the source books, but this came out of nowhere.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

ShadowFox89

Maybe they got sick of casters yet again doing everything in Pathfinder, like they do in 3.5?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Skynet

There is a demand for it, even among Pathfinder fans according to the paizo.com thread.  Dreamscarred Press' good reputation also helps them.

I think the thing is that the Pathfinder fans who are spellcaster supremacy advocates really hate Tome of Battle and color the discourse.

ShadowFox89

They really hate it and are really fucking loud. Like, flood any thread related to ToB loud.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Revelation

This might actually make me look at pf again. Fighters, barbarians, etc are just so underwhelming compared to the casters.

Chris Brady

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on August 19, 2013, 11:33:59 PM
Maybe they got sick of casters yet again doing everything in Pathfinder, like they do in 3.5?
In my anecdotal experience, most of the people who stuck with 3.x and Pathfinder were the Caster fans, those who believed that Magic was the most important thing in D&D, and because they were magic user fans, they hated the Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords.  And most of the Paizo crew also believed the same.  That's what I'm curious of why it changed.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

ShadowFox89

Dreadscarred Press has been pretty good with being nice to non-casters.....
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Chris Brady

So WHY does Paizo care about them then?  What happened?  I'm incredibly curious.

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Chris Brady on August 20, 2013, 06:10:27 PM
So WHY does Paizo care about them then?  What happened?  I'm incredibly curious.

It's not Paizo, it's Dreamscarred. The only 3rd party company who would give psionics their due in 3.5, which is tied for the most hated system by caster fanatics.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Revelation

Right. PF is still under the OGL, so 3rd parties can and do produce content for them. Dreamscarred is just one of the ones thats seen as 'just as good as' Paizo.

Chris Brady

Ah, OK.  So it's not sanctioned by Paizo, just works WITH Pathfinder.  Interesting.

Revelation

It's made to be used with path finder, but is not an official product by paizo.

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Changingsaint on August 20, 2013, 07:52:44 PM
Right. PF is still under the OGL, so 3rd parties can and do produce content for them. Dreamscarred is just one of the ones thats seen as 'just as good as' Paizo.

I would put them as "better than Paizo". But that's because there's no SKR involved with them.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on August 20, 2013, 09:59:02 PM
I would put them as "better than Paizo". But that's because there's no SKR involved with them.

Sounds like you don't like SKR.

I wish they'd put more 3rd party stuff in Pathfinder Society Play (I'm a VL down here), all we see is a few critters from Frog God Games.

Chris Brady

Given the general dislike of Book of Nine Swords and Psionics, do you honestly think that will happen, Callie?

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on August 20, 2013, 10:52:59 PM
Sounds like you don't like SKR.

I wish they'd put more 3rd party stuff in Pathfinder Society Play (I'm a VL down here), all we see is a few critters from Frog God Games.

Do you blame me? He's the guy who made this bile: http://www.seankreynolds.com/rpgfiles/misc/featpointsystem.html
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Chris Brady on August 20, 2013, 10:54:10 PM
Given the general dislike of Book of Nine Swords and Psionics, do you honestly think that will happen, Callie?

They aren't the only 3rd party publishers out there. Granted I doubt you'll see any psionics soon, given I have seen NO support to certain segments of their own world in PFS Play (Numeria for one.. Gunslinger support for another)

Chris Brady

I heard that the Gunslinger was a badly designed class, and that the only way to fix it would be to redesign it completely.  Again, this is what I heard of the class, never seen it myself.