A question of breakfast in general and opinions on it.

Started by Thesunmaid, May 04, 2021, 06:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thesunmaid

So...I am not really a breakfast person in general. I usually can't stand the thought of eating solid food until at least an hour or two after I am awake these days and usually I skip it all together in favour of coffee or juice. I know some say"It's the most important meal of the day!" But...like I said its rare that I am even hungry when I wake up.

But there are times when I might have had an early dinner or I did not eat much the day before I will be and I just kind of eat what ever is convenient. I mean the other day I had hash browns and some left over chicken soup I had. And a few days before that I made some fries since I was up mid morning and I wanted to have fries. And another time I had a piece of pie. I was telling my friend about this and he was like"But....with the exception of the hash browns those are not breakfast foods!"

I said"It's food....whats the big deal?"
Well you can't have pie for breakfast! its full of sugar!
so...are most cereals and poptarts...what's your point? Also I see people eat muffins the size of a small car. Filled with sugar..It might as well be a cupcake. I simply had actual dessert for breakfast instead of advertised dessert for breakfast."

I dunno the way I grew up my parents are essentially "so long as you eat something semi substantial before you head to school we don't really care what it is." And I always sort of kept that in my head. It's food...why can't have I have soup for breakfast and eggs and toast for supper? I make pan cakes sometimes for lunch or supper because...I want pancakes.

So...I suppose I am just wondering if I am truly a weirdo here or does any one else eat weird things for breakfast or...maybe I should say"Do you care if its considered a breakfast food?"
Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Current Status for posts: working on them Current Status for RP:Tentatively looking

Eva

I think whatever you eat at breakfast is, by definition, breakfast food. I think cereal, muffins, etc, aren't really the best choices in the end.  I'm more inclined to have eggs and toast, or even leftovers for breakfast. One of our favorite breakfasts here is making a simple fried rice with egg, frozen peas and scallions.  When I worked a different schedule I would skip breakfast since, like you I'm not always hungry when I wake up.

One of the things I've been doing over this pandemic is collecting cookbooks from cuisines from around the world and cooking from them. I haven't been able to cook as many breakfasts as I'd like because of my schedule, but it is interesting to see how much heartier breakfasts seem to be elsewhere (I'm in the US).  One of these days I'm going to get around to making Ful Medames, Shakshuka, or Congee for breakfast.

And for the record, I totally eat pie for breakfast.  It's how we start thanksgiving in my family every year. 

Rinzler

I often have Patum Peperium on toast (sometimes a bagel) for breakfast. If you've ever tried Patum Peperium, you'll know it's a damn strange thing to eat for any meal, let alone breakfast.

However, despite how the smell brings to mind dog biscuits and old women's tights, the flavour is an absolute umami bomb which does a far better job of waking you up than coffee. Even though I still have coffee.

Bear in mind I'm talking about anchovy Patum Peperium here. The salmon variety - known also as Poacher's Relish - is just utterly, stunningly gorgeous in every way. And bloody expensive too, unfortunately.

Oniya

Look - an apple danish is basically a single-serving apple crumble.  Fite me.  I've had cold pizza for breakfast (or really, any meal...), and pancakes and sausage (or bacon) for dinner.  I've got a quickie recipe for an egg sandwich that I'll nom any time of day.  Carbs are good for a quick start, proteins for longer energy, but it's all calories in the end.

Because of my family's schedule, my 'breakfast' is usually a chicken sandwich, followed by the big family meal a few hours later, and then I go for whatever I fancy after they turn in.  (Mr. Oniya works at 3 AM on some days, and has to be in bed by 7 PM.  I'm up late because it's the only time I'm able to write without distractions.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Shores

Asia eats soup for breakfast.  ;D

Nothing wrong with it! It's delicious!

Eva

Quote from: Shores on May 04, 2021, 09:00:07 PM
Asia eats soup for breakfast.  ;D

Nothing wrong with it! It's delicious!

Those look AMAZING! 

Hrairoo

They really do! Very yummy looking, bright and colorful.

As far as the OP, I admit to still thinking of certain foods as breakfast foods. However, the older I get the more I stray away from actually eating the sweeter things on that list(U.S.A.). However, in planning my meals, I'll put the omelet or egg sandwich as the first meal of the day just as default operating on that bias. As a result, I'll be less likely to have something like a tuna fish sandwich or pasta as the first meal. Just because my brain automatically shoves it to second or third, lol.

Nico

Breakfast is my favourite meal of the day!

Generally, it's oatmeal for me, with fresh fruits and yoghurt. Coffee, perhaps toast.

Buuuuut I've also eaten soup in the morning. Salad and garlic bread, roasted veggies. Whatever I feel like, really. There is no weird thing for breakfast for me.  ;D

Autumn52

For me I eat whatever is easiest, unless I am cooking for my husband and family.

I will eat leftovers, just something to keep my pills down mainly. I usually cook a nice breakfast for my family on the weekends.
Sausage, eggs, hash browns, biscuits, or maybe pancakes. Really breakfast is just whatever you eat for your first meal of the day.

I don't think their is any wrong thing to eat. I think it is quite healthy that you let your body dictate what you eat and when you eat.

May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

White Light be upon you if that is your wish

RedRose

O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

Sagitta

I will eat breakfast half the time, so maybe 3-4 days a week. Being quick and easy to make, eggs are a favorite, with a bit of bread and butter. Sometimes, we'll do the Asian thing and have noodle soup, rice, or congee for breakfast.
Request Thread: Plots, Pairings, Preferences - Selectively looking for Genshin Impact/Honkai Star Rail tales.
This aptly named thread: Ons & Offs

Thesunmaid

I fried up mashed potatoes this morning and a cheese sausage this morning. I had an early dinner so I was hungry when I woke up early because my kitten decided to do a dance on my bladder at 6 am this morning.
Current Status for posts: working on them Current Status for RP:Tentatively looking

Envious

I eat strawberry shortcake for breakfast. It has yogurt on top of the icrecream, so that makes it healthy!

Not every day, just when strawberries are in season.

Haloriel

I eat a portion of food for breakfast. That could consist of anything, honestly.  XD My favourite things are soup or some rice, though. I don't really like sweet stuff first, but I will eat them after a savoury item.

TeamVelma

If I'm not going to work then it's normally toast (love toast) and some coffee, if I'm really not in a hurry then freshly ground coffee.  If it's a work day then I'll have one of those breakfast biscuits when I get to work.  That said I've eaten all kinds of food for breakfast.
Scooby: I’m afraid you’ve gone mad with power.
Velma: Of course I have! Have you ever tried going mad without power? It’s boring, no one listens to you.

From herecomesthosemedellingkids on tumblr

Belated A&A here
O/Os here

Lilias

I'm a big fan of the full English breakfast, and I will have it at any time of the day. (It makes an easy makeshift dinner as well, because it's a rare day that we don't have eggs, bacon or sausages on hand.) In practice, I only make it when we're not rushing around in the morning. During term time, I make toast or porridge for Big and Small, send them off, then have something myself; usually muesli and coffee. I'm consciously trying to move towards high-protein breakfasts, because the sweet stuff, much as I adore it, has me hungry again within a couple of hours.

I used to be the kind that can't function without eating something within half an hour of waking up. Since I took up intermittent fasting, I've been pushing breakfast later, because I try to go out and do my morning hike on an empty stomach. If I worked normal hours, I'd probably have to eat before leaving home. And skipping it altogether is out of the question.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

mahari

I agree with you op. I’m personally not hungry when I get up, so I just chew through whatever I can come up with. But since you mentioned it, I actually do enjoy chicken soup for breakfast! It’s very tasty which helps with my appetite after getting up. I personally can’t eat sweet stuff off the bat though, my brain goes ‘sweet = dessert and dessert after a real meal please,’ but in general I agree that breakfast food is what you make it. (And cereal feels like a snack food to me since we never had it for breakfast in our household growing up. And to me, cereal with milk is a horror story.)

That said, I do love breakfast food! (Eggs, toast, bacon, etc.) But for dinner. I don’t know why, but that kind of ‘breakfast food’ tastes so good come dinnertime.

Chaosfox

Lets see for the past several years  since  living with my grandmother (and my mother before she passed 5 years ago) breakfast is usually oat meal, cereal, Peanut butter sandwich (on my end), eggs with some kind of meat thrown end (depends on what we have sometime it's just cheese ), and on a rare occasion pancakes. That being said I have eaten everything from cold pizza to ice cream for breakfast. Yes I said ice cream because growing up when we stayed with my grandparents on my dads side are Papa would ask what we wanted for breakfast and if we wanted ice cream we got ice cream.  So to your  question OP nope your not weird. I think plenty of people eat "non traditional" breakfast foods for breakfast. Also the whole  eggs and such for supper is one of the best suppers, at least that is my opinion.
There is no Order only Chaos and all the joys that it brings. 
This way too On's and Off's

Oniya

Quote from: Chaosfox on May 30, 2021, 06:01:04 AM
I think plenty of people eat "non traditional" breakfast foods for breakfast. Also the whole  eggs and such for supper is one of the best suppers, at least that is my opinion.

Judging from the dining room at IHOP on Friday nights, plenty of people share that one.   ;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Thesunmaid

Well come on now you can't go wrong with pan cakes. I actually made pancakes for dinner the other night because I was craving carbs but also something sweet and the week before they had buy one get one free on buttermilk pan cake mix. lol

Chaosfox

Quote from: Oniya on May 30, 2021, 02:04:25 PM
Judging from the dining room at IHOP on Friday nights, plenty of people share that one.   ;D

I prefer Waffle House to IHOP. Sadly we have neither where I live.

Oniya

Quote from: Chaosfox on May 31, 2021, 11:33:26 AM
I prefer Waffle House to IHOP. Sadly we have neither where I live.

They literally know us on sight at the WH here.  (We're the family that actually plays the electronic jukebox.)

Chaosfox

Quote from: Oniya on May 31, 2021, 02:14:11 PM
They literally know us on sight at the WH here.  (We're the family that actually plays the electronic jukebox.)

Sadly most the crew that worked the shift I would go during has long since left. But I almost a 2 hour drive well actually a bit over a 2 hour drive  away so not worth going to XD

CinematicMind

I don't really find myself naming specific foods into "Breakfast" foods, or limiting any food choices to certain times of days. I spent a decade working graveyard shift, so my breakfast was usually happening when most people were already done with dinner and getting ready for bed. I come from a family of cereal lovers, but almost none of us eat it for breakfast. We see it more as a sweet snack that is enjoyed at a random time later in the day.

When I choose breakfast, I more weigh my decisions based on the time I have before my first scheduled task. My habit breakfast is some coffee, some bread/toast with whatever topping I am feeling that day, and a small bit of quick and easy meat. I like a breakfast that doesn't take a lot of prep, so my time can be spent getting ready and enjoying the food I have chosen. I rarely have any, but if I do have access to pie for breakfast that is definitely my favorite way to start the day.

I do try and eat fairly close to when I wake up just to get everything in the body firing up and doing what it needs. If I happen to not be hungry when waking up, I will still make sure to eat a handful of something small.

RedRose

I can get something "non sweet", say from 10 am on.
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]