DnD 3.5 Thayan Campaign Wanted Small Group GM/Players Interest Check

Started by RubySlippers, July 30, 2014, 11:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RubySlippers

Kunoichi

Yes, and Zaer noted that this Apprentice of his would function as a cohort.  If she was his equal, it wouldn't be much of an apprenticeship, now would it? ;)

Zaer Darkwail

I wonder also why Shar lacks Trickery domain, the trickery devotion is awesome! Also I agree magic should also included in Shar as she is creator of shadow weave.

Anyways for future a dip level on shadow adept would give you all other shadow weave feats what you need (it progresses cleric cast also I think).

However, as I change apprentice to mentor feat in 5th level, it means your apprentice was in 1st level when I was in 5th level. When I gain level, my apprentice also gains it. So in 8th level the apprentice is 4th level (and I need 1 more level so she falls to 5th level and transforms into a cohort).

Besides that, evil and undead domains are best as main thing from Darkness domain (armor of darkness and darkbolts) you get as initiate of Shar.

But as tip; another race which you could be is Illumian. There is power sigil combination known as Naenhoon, it allows twice a day on swift action to extend one or more rebuke/turn undead attempts to use a metamagic feat for free on any spell. You need extend metamagic feat increase slots in turn/rebuke undead daily attempts.

So, 6 uses of rebuke/turn undead and you got 9 of them thanks undead domain. Now, you get benefit of a feat through racial but also loose bonus feat for being not human :P. Also it's limited to twice a day, however you could take extra turning in 5th level to get 12 attempts per day (so use persistent spell twice a day). Compared to feat you spend -1 attempt use per day to use persistent spell, also unlike the feat it's not connected to metamagic feat you have (you can use it on any metamagic feat you have).

Also the power sigils give +2 to all wisdom, intelligence and constitution checks (and skill checks although need choose between Wis or Con skills which bonus it goes to). With a feat you can get these upgraded to +3. Besides this what else you get?

Well, Glyphic Resonance (ignore any glyph spells same or under class level, damn useful for sneaky cleric), +2 saves vs anything related to shadow plane (and shadow weave magic), Linquistic as class skill (forgery and speak language).

Also if take sigil feats, can get +2 bonus to vs death effects, massive dmg, non-lethal dmg from hot/cold or illusions and language dependant abilities.

Plus cool ability make glowing runes dance around your head and provide night light for reading :P.

RubySlippers

As a rule my character is likely to nest focusing on making the family money, nesting, you others can focus on power and glory.

Zaer Darkwail

btw RubySlippers, check pg180 in DMG II; Running a Business. Perhaps we could implement those rules for your merchant playing and determine how much business (and what events) occur :).

Warlock

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on August 07, 2014, 04:51:35 PM
btw RubySlippers, check pg180 in DMG II; Running a Business. Perhaps we could implement those rules for your merchant playing and determine how much business (and what events) occur :).

I'll take a peek at them aswell as soon as I have the book infront of me.

Zaer Darkwail

They are pretty good, gives realistic method how to get income as PC or even as commoner. Although if want run business as farmer you need optimize a lot as 1st level commoner to be successful (or lots of farmhands, wife and kids give aid another rolls).

Kunoichi

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on August 07, 2014, 03:18:17 PM
However, as I change apprentice to mentor feat in 5th level, it means your apprentice was in 1st level when I was in 5th level. When I gain level, my apprentice also gains it. So in 8th level the apprentice is 4th level (and I need 1 more level so she falls to 5th level and transforms into a cohort).

Actually, based on what I've found for the Apprentice and Mentor feats, they seem to work pretty differently from the way you think they do. ^^; You graduate from your apprenticeship at 5th level and can then take the Mentor feat and gain an Apprentice, but the Apprentice isn't treated like some mini-cohort who just gets left several levels behind you.  Instead, the Apprentice is a fully separate NPC who starts at level 1 and whose advancement is entirely in the hands of the DM.  And once your Apprentice hits level 5 they graduate from their apprenticeship and you have to seek out a new Apprentice.

For what you want, I think you'd be better off ditching the Mentor feat altogether and just asking to take Leadership.  You can just say that your various followers are all your apprentices and servants, while your cohort could be your girlfriend or something like that. :P

RubySlippers

Quote from: Warlock on August 07, 2014, 05:24:14 PM
I'll take a peek at them aswell as soon as I have the book infront of me.

I have a feat, its easy I invest in a market say 1000gp and every month there is a 50/50 chance of I earn 25% of that back ,indefinitely, until I remove the money and can't lose normally unless said market is destroyed. Say I invest in the nearest city in the grain market and a dragon eats it I lose the money. I see no reason to do all that other stuff and she is not trained in that sort of business she focused on investing. And I can do this for anyone say Ssazz Tam gives her 100,000go there is  50/50 chance that will make money with no loss indefinitely. Minus a small fee per month she can rake in tons of gold and never really have to do much.

I'm not using a ton of rules to run a tavern that is for peasants she is a Red Wizard she is above mundane work.  ;D

RubySlippers

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on August 07, 2014, 04:51:35 PM

I don't have access to those rules anyway.

Kunoichi

The DMG Ii rules are pretty simple, and mostly revolve around making monthly skill checks in order to see how well you run whatever business you choose to establish.  That said, because the rules revolve around skill checks, they're not exactly hard to abuse for ridiculous gains...

It sounds to me like Ruby is more interested in using the Pathfinder feat to essentially play her character as some sort of medieval stock market consultant.

RubySlippers

No to make money, she is a financier and is good at finding opportunities and letting other people do the work, she taking her profits for the money. She can do that for anyone else to.

Re Z L

Are there any classes and things strictly off-limits?  I hadn't noticed anything like that...

I'm fiddling around with some ideas and knowing if there are any restrictions may help  :D
A&A

Kunoichi

I don't think that we have any classes off-limits, though the DM has given a warning to the effect that he'll be responding in kind to anyone who goes overboard on the power levels.  So, presumably you wouldn't want to bring something like the infamous Locate City Bomb to the table, but aside from that any basic ideas you have build-wise should be good. :P

Zaer Darkwail

Kunoichi: Ah, that case I would want keep my cohort instead. My bad misreading the feat then. But I do also like having +2 bonus to my four skills for having apprentice, so can I keep the bonuses even if my apprentice graduated and became my cohort? If I do continue give her lessons 8 hours per day the bonuses would stay right?

Anyways here comes my char in below. According the DMG II regarding how high level my mentor is, he is 10th level (or 11th if assume I was LE when I started studies as apprentice but later moved to neutral evil and it does not affect mentor's level after taking the feat).

I decided my mentor (when I was apprentice) is Samas Kul, zulkir of transmutation. Considering he is 15th level I assume it's okay so long he does not give me 6th level or higher spells copied for free from his spellbook. Now so far as I understand the apprentice feat for wizards it means I can copy higher level spells from mentor's spellbook instead just getting spells which are appropriate for my level. So example in 2th level I could copy from master's book a 4th level spell and so forth.

Anyways only big stuff is scroll of time stop which I purchased with my gold to copy that spell on my spellbook. Also I wonder are Dead Levels article stuff okay? If so, RubySlippers can also add animated writing as class feature from her wizard levels :). Anyways RubySlippers did not write any family background, childhood, relatives etc so I went creative with my char background. If RubySlippers find something offensive in there I can edit it; either change or remove it entirely.

Rhaza Ankhemon
Biography
Rhaza Ankhemon was born to family of ancient Mulan nobility who had fallen to bad times to point they struggled to keep themselves fed by working as merchants. In their ancestry there has not been great mages for generations (which is one reason for their fall). However they had retained some their ancestors glories in form of study books, which most rest family considered garbage (as nobody wanted buy them) but both Rhaza and his sister Gehennora read them.

However when red wizard visited to test family's two children, Rhaza and Gehennora, they both showed great potential for magic. Naturally parents were overjoyed for it, as it meant they can be finally elevated from squandron! Naturally they auctioned their children to two different zulkirs to become apprentices (their slaves basically if not in name) and get generous sum of money for it.

Rhaza and Gehennora was moved to two different masters but they were old enough and skilled enough to write for each other, red wizards did not forbid writing letters after all to your relatives although meeting your siblings is rare luxury (more so if said sibling studied under another zulkir). Rhaza lived in Eltabbar in his studies so he met slaves everyday and saw plenty of them in sale in market. During one market day there was on sale somethign exotic; a halfling and a tiger as a pair?! halfling was pretty and what slave seller told she was trained rider for the tiger and also trained in....other sensual purposes. Rhaza had curiosity (carnal sort) towards halfling species at the time and on their language. So he bought her and her tiger for himself and learned her name to be Rima. Over the years he has grow fond of her, like a delicate rare pet which he grooms and praises when successful and crops when it misbehaves or does not perform well when she is capable doing so. He does not punish failures if they are pushing her on the limits. Also she is regular target for enlarge person spell for the all obvious reasons in bedroom side.....once she suggested him trying smaller size she regretted uttering even hint Rhaza becoming lesser being.

Also in city of slaves he got in contact with Shar cult through one sexual orgy which was ran by Loviatar cultists to some slaves (in behalf of slave master)....as cooperative ceremony between Shar worshipers and whip mistresses to both celebrate pain and also alleviate sorrow and express hatred (give slaves relief to reduce uprising). Rhaza was not drawn by Shar's doghma but more by shadow weave magic what cultists employed....he was quite tempted to learn use said magic so he formed contact to the cult through her.

Rhaza studied and spend much time indoors, he hated traveling as he had accursed motion sickness which he had suffered entire life. Even teleportation causes it for brief time. He was excellent and bright student and very cunning and persuasive indeed. Also he studied ancient lores and ancient magics of Netherese and even other non-human race in origin. He studied much about transmutation magic from his mentor, Dmitra Flass, Zulkir of Illusion and also called as first princess of the Thay. When he graduated and then became red wizard he forsworn further studies of transmutation. Explain his choice to his mentor who had wondered why he had focused so much on transmutation and then abandon it; 'I have learned all useful things from that school and thus it holds no longer mysteries useful to my future. If I need use something I can use magic item to duplicate it.' His mentor approved his choice in the matter. Although she herself had not banned transmutation when she became red wizard.

Rhaza immediately formed contact with his sister and met her first time face to face for over ten years. As she has keen business skills and interests Rhaza benefits living with her for now while he provides her support when she has needs for his talents or spells. Although Rhaza chastises her for lack of grander ambitions than he. Rhaza dislikes his family though; as he feels they are useless leeches which drain him and his sisters success to benefit themselves and he had more than once considered killing them off and thus heritage the entire remaining property for himself and sister. But so far he has decided effort doing so outweighs the benefits.

After graduation Rhaza learned to use shadow weave from the cult which he visited regularly but before he is indoctrinated deeper to the cult (and it's precious delicious secrets) he had to train a apprentice himself, not wizard but a cleric and teach her about lore what he had studied as wizard and especially about magic. So he took her in and taught her what he knew. Growing close in process as they both had passion for learning more knowledge, sometimes learn just sheer joy of expanding one's knowledge. It's not love, but more a respect between them and also simple lust.

Kunoichi

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on August 08, 2014, 02:15:47 AM
Kunoichi: Ah, that case I would want keep my cohort instead. My bad misreading the feat then. But I do also like having +2 bonus to my four skills for having apprentice, so can I keep the bonuses even if my apprentice graduated and became my cohort? If I do continue give her lessons 8 hours per day the bonuses would stay right?

Anyways here comes my char in below. According the DMG II regarding how high level my mentor is, he is 10th level (or 11th if assume I was LE when I started studies as apprentice but later moved to neutral evil and it does not affect mentor's level after taking the feat).

The +2 competence bonus comes from taking the Mentor feat, so if you're taking Leadership instead, you wouldn't get the bonus.  Though, since your followers from Leadership don't gain levels, if you have both Leadership and Mentor you could easily have one or more of them have the Apprentice feat and get the bonus that way.  Of course, since it's a competence bonus, it won't stack with most skill-boosting items...

As for your Mentor, the only real requirement for him is that he be 5th level at minimum, to qualify for the Mentor feat.  Aside from that, he's an NPC and only gains levels when the DM decides he does.

I decided my mentor (when I was apprentice) is Samas Kul, zulkir of transmutation. Considering he is 15th level I assume it's okay so long he does not give me 6th level or higher spells copied for free from his spellbook. Now so far as I understand the apprentice feat for wizards it means I can copy higher level spells from mentor's spellbook instead just getting spells which are appropriate for my level. So example in 2th level I could copy from master's book a 4th level spell and so forth.

Considering Thayan culture, I think your Mentor would probably be specialized in the same school of magic that you are.  The political hierarchy is pretty heavily divided between the eight different schools of magic in Thay, and the Zulkirs in particular are at the top of each respective faction, so I doubt that Samas Kul would even deign to teach magic to a student who was planning to specialize in a school other than Transmutation.  And if that student was also planning to stop studying Transmutation altogether in order to more closely devote himself to another school when he became a Red Wizard...

Yeah, I really don't think that Samas Kul would work as a mentor. ^^; Perhaps your mentor could be Dmitra Flass, instead?

Biography
Rhaza Ankhemon was born to family of farmers. In their ancestry there has not been great mages or such but the family was wealthy enough to buy books for reading and had slaves working on fields so family lived in comfort (and continues do so today).

However when red wizard visited to test family's two children, Rhaza and Gehennora, they both showed great potential for magic. Naturally parents were overjoyed for it, but also saddened as they will now loose their children as red wizard who intents train them buys children off them and they are not raised nor meet parents until they graduate. If they wish meet their commoner parents at all that is once they have ascended to ranks of red wizards.

Rhaza and Gehennora was moved to two different masters but they were old enough and skilled enough to write for each other, red wizards did not forbid writing letters after all. Rhaza lived in Bezantur, city of thousand temples and also one dealing exports to foreign trade and importing it's main goods; slaves from elsewhere. During the market day there was on sale a pretty but very much beaten and abused halfling, Rhaza did not feel sympathy for her but he had curiosity towards halfling species at the time and on their language. So he bought her and he then trained her. Over the years he grow fond of her, like a delicate rare pet which he grooms and praises when successful and crops when it misbehaves or does not perform well when she is capable doing so. He does not punish failures if they are pushing her on the limits. Also she is regular target for enlarge person spell for the all obvious reasons in bedroom side.....once she suggested him trying smaller size she regretted uttering even hint Rhaza becoming lesser being.

He used various methods in training and discipline her, she was just mere child but he had access to resources for good trainers and she became very well trained indeed, more so as she bonded to one mage bred experimental tigers which she started use as mount and practice archery. So besides being pleasure slave she served as also Rhaza's bodyguard.

Also in city of temples he got in contact with Shar cult through one sexual orgy which was ran by Loviatar cultists....a cooperative ceremony between Shar worshippers and whip mistresses to both celebrate pain and also alleviate sorrow and express hatred. Rhaza was not drawn by Shar's doghma but more by shadow weave magic what cultists employed....he was quite tempted to learn use said magic so he formed contact to the cult through her.

Rhaza studied and spend much time indoors, he hated traveling as he had accursed motion sickness which he had suffered entire life. Even teleportation causes it for brief time. He was excellent and bright student and very cunning and persuasive indeed. Also he studied ancient lores and ancient magics of Netherese and even other non-human race in origin. He studied much about transmutation magic from his mentor, Samas Kul, Zulkir of Transmutation. But when he graduated and then became red wizard he forsworn further studies of transmutation! Saying that 'I have learned all useful things from that school and thus it holds no longer mysteries useful to my future. If I need use something I can use magic item to duplicate it.' Naturally his mentor was furious for this but it no longer mattered; Rhaza was graduate and thus independent red wizard.

He immediately formed contact with his sister and met her first time face to face for over ten years. As she has keen business skills and interests Rhaza benefits living with her for now while he provides her support when she has needs for his talents or spells. Although Rhaza chastises her for lack of grander ambitions than he. Rhaza did not contact his parents nor his younger brother who apparently had born after he and his sister had left. He thinks he is above them and thus it's below for him associate with his humble beginnings.

Rhaza after graduation learned to use shadow weave but before he is indoctrinated deeper to the cult (and it's precious delicious secrets) he had to train a apprentice himself, not wizard but a cleric and teach her about lore what he had studied as wizard and especially about magic. So he took her in and taught her what he knew. Growing close in process as they both had passion for learning more knowledge, sometimes learn just sheer joy of expanding one's knowledge. It's not love, but more a respect between them and also simple lust.

Important note about Thay's population: From what I've read, in Thay, there are two major ethnic groups.  The Mulan are the nobility, descendants of the original chunk of the Mulhorandi Empire that rebelled against their oppressive god-kings and used wizardry to establish the nation of Thay, and the Rashemi are the common folk, the farmers and lesser merchants and such.

In Thay, only the nobles are allowed to learn the art of magic, though some commoners do get trained in secret if they prove to be particularly talented.  Even then, they generally don't get to be Red Wizards, though.  Assuming Ruby is alright with that general backstory, you might want to change it so that the two of you are landless nobles, coming from a family that hit hard times and now has a title and some money, but little else to their name.  Your character could have a disdain for his family due to viewing them as parasites who want to leech off of the success he's found, rather than merely seeing himself as being above them.

Edit: Or the two of you could come from a family of landowners, who primarily make their living leasing out the land that they own to common farmers and make a nice profit off of the rent.  That would pretty much let you keep your backstory as it is, with no major changes needed.

As for my character, Rima, the basic backstory I've come up with for her is that she was born and raised in a small community in the Hordelands that was formed from escaped slaves who managed to make it across the Thayan borders.  Said community was raided by slavers when she was fairly young, and she was captured as part of that raid.  Once the slavers joined up with a larger caravan to transport their humanoid cargo to a Thayan market, the Orcs guarding the caravan got it into their heads that it would be great fun to toss one of the smaller, scrawnier slaves into the pen of a large, exotic tiger that another merchant was carrying, and watch the beast tear the slave apart.

Unexpectedly, however, the great beast took a liking to Rima, to the point that it became extremely unruly whenever she was kept away from it for long periods of time.  Ultimately, the halfling was broken in and then sold alongside the tiger as a pair, the two of them both to be kept as exotic pets, bodyguards, and for... other forms of entertainment.

Zaer Darkwail

Good points given, I will edit my background so that I was educated by zulkir of illusion (but I stick with transmutation spells, as no source indicates what banned schools Dmitra had chosen).

Kunoichi

Actually, depending on what year Warlock wants to run the game in, Dmitra Flass might not be the Zulkir of Illusion yet.  Mythrellan is probably still alive, though Dmitra is still going to be an influential figure and known associate of Szass Tam, which should help tie things together nicely with Ruby also wanting to have Gehennora back Tam's faction. ^^

Zaer Darkwail

Aha, indeed it depends which is my mentor. Benefit of Mythrellar can be that through her I got associated with cult of Shar (or learning how use shadow weave).

I edited the story so that Rhaza (and Gehennora) are from mulan nobles who had got into bad times and house being in decline because several generations no magic gifted child had been born there.

Warlock

Quote from: Re Z L on August 07, 2014, 10:03:16 PM
Are there any classes and things strictly off-limits?  I hadn't noticed anything like that...

I'm fiddling around with some ideas and knowing if there are any restrictions may help  :D

Anything that allows me to retain my sanity, can't have me reciting prayers to Cthulhu before we've even started. Do however keep in mind the larger cultural context of Thay and it's power structure, a human wizard is allowed full social mobility while a non-human attempting a power-play would result in harsh retribution and eventual disintegration, Thay is not open-minded. So if you can justify the mechanics and build, then go ahead.
--------------------
Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on August 08, 2014, 02:15:47 AM

Anyways only big stuff is scroll of time stop which I purchased with my gold to copy that spell on my spellbook. Also I wonder are Dead Levels article stuff okay? If so, RubySlippers can also add animated writing as class feature from her wizard levels :). Anyways RubySlippers did not write any family background, childhood, relatives etc so I went creative with my char background. If RubySlippers find something offensive in there I can edit it; either change or remove it entirely.

I could see that being incorporated into the Leadership feat, it requires an extra level of dedicated time that could be expended elsewhere. However remember that the Cohort/Apprentice graduates at 5th level, no-longer needing the 8 hours/day to maintain the bonuses, which if you have no bonus or penalties to Leadership would be at level 8. I would however require that one of the Cohort's feats are still Apprentice, naturally.

Flass works fine, you'd've been studying before her time as Zulkir and coincides nicely with the theme of Ssazzy Tammie supporter that RubySlippers is going for, Flass being a former support and now working against him (Many possibilities I can use here). Keep the 6th level spells to a handful with increasing number as you go down spell-levels and I don't see any particular problem.

Can't really object to you having a Time stop scroll .The dead-level article is good, indeed anything that closes the gap between spellcasters and non-spellcasters are good in my eyes, it also have a flavor component I enjoy.
--------------------
Quote from: RubySlippers on August 07, 2014, 07:44:16 PM
I have a feat, its easy I invest in a market say 1000gp and every month there is a 50/50 chance of I earn 25% of that back ,indefinitely, until I remove the money and can't lose normally unless said market is destroyed. Say I invest in the nearest city in the grain market and a dragon eats it I lose the money. I see no reason to do all that other stuff and she is not trained in that sort of business she focused on investing. And I can do this for anyone say Ssazz Tam gives her 100,000go there is  50/50 chance that will make money with no loss indefinitely. Minus a small fee per month she can rake in tons of gold and never really have to do much.

I'm not using a ton of rules to run a tavern that is for peasants she is a Red Wizard she is above mundane work.  ;D

Not familiar with feat, which Pathfinder sourcebook did you find it in? The feat is fairly straight forward, with you seeing a 12.5% profit margin after the initial capital have been covered after about 8 months. It has this hands-off approach that I really dislike....

I would suggest something like the following:
3d6-8% Profit each month (-5% to 10%)
Modifiers to the number are handled through both random events (a la DMG II),RP and Skill Checks, with an opportunity to gain both temporary and permanent bonuses and penalties.
A temporary might be clearing the road of bandits. A permanent might be gaining the service of a competent barkeep
There's a hardcap on what you can invest in a single business since there's only so much profit you can make in relation to the available population and their buying power (more people=more profit). Could maybe do some funky things with diminishing returns also and not tell you about it.....If the idea sounds good.

I could see the relevant skills being ''Profession (Capitalist Swine)'' and ''Appraise'' xD

Would a system like this work for you? The growth is on average much smaller and would require some more work but can in return reach higher numbers.
--------------------
Quote from: Kunoichi on August 08, 2014, 04:06:07 AM
Actually, depending on what year Warlock wants to run the game in, Dmitra Flass might not be the Zulkir of Illusion yet.  Mythrellan is probably still alive, though Dmitra is still going to be an influential figure and known associate of Szass Tam, which should help tie things together nicely with Ruby also wanting to have Gehennora back Tam's faction. ^^

Starting around somewhere 1375 could be good and I can adopt the political struggles, letting you the players, have an effect on it after the inital ''purge'' of Zulkirs. Also mentioned earlier is that Flass is against Szass Tam (after being pro-Tam) and could offer some opportunities in the form of potential distrust, double agent and what-have-you.

Zaer Darkwail

Ok, studied under Flass before she hit being Zulkir (and I am pro-follower of Szam Taim idealism). I may take later on leadership feat (after 10th level) so my first apprentice (cleric of shar) becomes my actual cohort. My leadership score would be base 9 if not count any modifiers or such. But overall the mentor bonuses are because 'spend time teaching apprentice you refresh your own skills' sort approach. So perhaps 8 hours 'extra studies' per day keep me having the bonuses even without apprentice.

Now, does scroll get spend when you copy spells from them? I do not remember what the ruling was with them. Anyways bought time stop scroll so I could copy it as past event onto my spellbook. I have only three 6th level transmute spells so not biggy. Just polymorph in 4th level and telekinesis in 5th (if wonder lack of flying, there are scrolls of teleport or magical transports like flying carpets around or such. Plus my guy has motion sickness as flaw so he will hurl over you if he flies around).

Running Business for RubySlippers (quick DMG II run down): The rules in DMG II are quite easy; it assumes you take 10 on relevant skill check with your main skill and add modifiers to it based on do you have 5 or 10 in secondary skills supporting the business. Then check do you spend less than 8 hours per week working in business or not (or do you overwork for +40 hours per week). Also check do you have a feat (like business savy) and do you have assistant doing the assisting roll for you.

Also same formula can allow that you purchase entire business and hire a hireling to do the main business roll and you get cut of the profits.

For your business module, there is actually exchisting rules for it in that DMG II section; Moneylender (or investor other times called).

Primary Skill; Profession [Bookkeeping]
Secondary Skills; Diplomacy and Appraise (when have 5 ranks in both, gives +1 to your profit check roll, 10 in both gives +2 although in pathfinder the skill reqs can be reduced by -3)
Capital: Medium (meaning how much you spend money start/invest business, this cannot be refunded)
Resource: Medium (meaning money used for physical space like building and can be refunded by selling business)
Risk: Medium (just average risks so one roll per month and determines profit margin)

Depending where business is located determines the capital cost where as it costs flat 5,000gp for resources (and needs 5 employees which one can be you or the hireling you get).

Now, building to wilderness is cheapest but it gives you -10 profit rolls as it's disconnected. However building metropolis gives +4 bonus but costs 32,000gp in capital to start it! Either city (16,000gp, +2 profit) or town (8,000gp, +0 profit) are possible choices.

Now profit check is by taking 10 and adding your primary skill mod (plus other mods) atop it. Reaching 20 = no profit (nor no loss). Medium risk business gives profit margin x 20gp. So if you get example 30, you get 200gp profit per month with said business.

Now, if business keeps constantly making profit it slowly grows the profit margin (and events can both permanently and temporally increase or lower it). Also spending extra gp for 'masterwork gear' can improve profit margin but it costs a lot.

So if want run business while doing politics, the above rules have clear way going about it. Perhaps bit more complex than simple feat which gives flat rules how it works, but the feat your using has no risk involved if you invest money wisely (like on major metropolis like Waterdeep or Thaymount which both unlikely face permanent demise), so the GM may want add some risks to it seems.

I am sure the GM (and I) will help guide you how adjust your char to be successful business woman with the DMG II module. Or we can use the one which GM above suggested.

RubySlippers

Remember people her brother is the political one, my character as far as she is concerned "made it" in Thayan Society she is a Red Wizard so wants to settle in and at most has her eye on a government appointment maybe doing something respectable but is a former adventurer and came out of it with a jingling pouch, some magic items and her body and mind intact. - her public position - But remember in game terms she is a business version of a Master Alchemist or Master Craftsman the best that Waukeen could have trained to return to Thay.

And what no risk we have a decent plot of farmland, she can't even use it without a village there. So her first goal is to attract free Thayans to farm the land and provide services I'm thinking a sharecropping system slaves are generally more trouble than they are worth, set up an area for a village and two churches one to Shar and one to Waukeen and invite in adventurers to base there. I have ways around the laws requiring triple pricing to foreigners that might work.

Warlock

Quote from: RubySlippers on August 08, 2014, 07:33:46 AM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/master-of-the-ledger

Arghhh math makes my brain hurt. Feat put in money, every month in game flip a coin (1d2) on a heads she makes money, tails doesn't. Can send an agent to collect she gets half or can fetch the money herself. SIMPLE! I like simple.

And can invest for others they give me money and I make them money over a year.

I understand the appeal of its simplicity aspect, my fears are however gains in relation to the amount of time put in. Over 12 months you gain on average 150% of the initial investment, that's a lot. It being a binary 1: Gain money 2: Do not gain money choice also rubs me the wrong way.

I hoped to fix this with my system, adopt the modifier aspect and reduce the numerical values by making it percentage based, making the numbers less of a headache while still having some player influence on how much you gain every month.

But focusing on the feat, I'd rework it like this:
Keep the give money, get money aspect and get ride of the chance based system and instead give a 1d20-5% of return investment every month. The system is still skewed in favor of you but can have som bad spells.

RubySlippers

I was just kidding to some degree.

My issue is being out in the middle of nowhere it makes her useless until a community aka a Market even small is formed. Would her brother let her handle the plans for the land with his input some will seem radical by Thayan standards?

EDIT:

I had a simple solution why not do this base it off of a craft or profession only you get the modifiers for the feat they largely fit, and your really good at what you do getting the craft or profession roll not halved. I can make her profession something like Land Manager she would be trained to best abuse the land granted for a profit she taking her income from her work, assuming its a lot more to he family as in her brother.

If I roll a ten it would be under this 27 gold a week, with a ten day system it could be more complicated we could modify it up 30% or something with three rolls a month. It would make sense and well she would be good at exploiting what they have. And adding or subtracting on the roll is easy enough to do a well developed property could give a nice bonus.

Kunoichi

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on August 08, 2014, 05:57:44 AM
Ok, studied under Flass before she hit being Zulkir (and I am pro-follower of Szam Taim idealism). I may take later on leadership feat (after 10th level) so my first apprentice (cleric of shar) becomes my actual cohort. My leadership score would be base 9 if not count any modifiers or such. But overall the mentor bonuses are because 'spend time teaching apprentice you refresh your own skills' sort approach. So perhaps 8 hours 'extra studies' per day keep me having the bonuses even without apprentice.

So... you're taking Mentor now and Leadership later (because you don't get the bonuses for being a mentor without spending a feat on them) even though the GM has said that you can get the mentor bonuses by just taking the Leadership feat?

I guess you must really need that 7th-level feat slot for something else. ^^;