Upgrading Windows7

Started by Sybl, November 15, 2011, 11:52:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sybl

I ordered Windows7 Professional from Tiger Direct.
I am disappointed as no instructions came with it. No CD/DVD just a product key and a link to get the download. 

I have never done an upgrade before. My question is, when I download it will I lose my bookmarks, and programs that are on my computer right now. Can someone help me with this, please? Thank you.

Vekseid

It will probably change your theme, but nothing else should change, no.

Sybl

Sarena

Hi, Sybl!

There are two ways to install a new operating system on your computer.  The first is to do just an upgrade, where it only changes your OS, but all of your programs and files and bookmarks, etc. remain the same.  The other is to do a fresh install, which I believe you need a disk in order to do but I could be wrong.  But what it does is wipe the harddrive and installs Windows 7 in place of the old OS rather than upgrading the old OS to it.  This is what I did because I was getting rid of viruses and crap that I could not get rid of. 

Once you start the process, just follow the directions that it gives you when you start the process.  Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of W7.  Personally, I love it so much more than any of the other Windows operating systems!
I can go from southern belle to ghetto thug faster than you can say "Bless your heart".

Sybl

Thank you Sarena. I have Windows7 Home. on this PC,  I need the Windows XP that comes with Win7 Pro, to be able to use my art programs that are not compatible with the Home version..

I am doing a complete back up of everything just in case. :) Better safe than sorry.

Sarena

Oh most definitely!  I've been known to have a back up for the back up. ~grins~
I can go from southern belle to ghetto thug faster than you can say "Bless your heart".

Kronn

Hi Sybl,

You shouldn't lose anything it you treat it as an upgrade but as you were saying, better back-up your book-marks, data files, saved games....also it's good practice to write your passwords separately like i a special notebook or something.

Yes and do back-up all your fractal programing and files....

Kronn
XXX