What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaggedLouise

Prince Harry at a Q&A session with a class of Maori school children in New Zealand:

"What do you call your grandmother the Queen when you're talking to her?"
"Uh, Granny I suppose."
"Do you live in a castle?"
"Certainly not, I don't even have a crown!"

:D

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Beorning

Quote from: consortium11 on May 10, 2015, 07:25:15 PM
She's just biding her time and taking the opportunity to establish Cthulhu cults across the land. The Great Old Ones are eternal. They can afford to wait an election cycle.

Heh.  :-)

Seriously speaking, though: Ogórek's campaign was bizarre, especially in the final weeks. Can you imagine that there were actually rumours of the DLA withdrawing their support for her in later weeks of the campaign? It was because of the fact that, despite having her campaign financed entirely by the DLA, Ogórek refused to make concessions to the DLA's political ideas and she actually kept claiming that she was an "independent" candidate. It went as far as her refusing to declare (during one rare interview she agreed to give) whether she even voted for the DLA during parliamentary elections... You can imagine how much the DLA members appreciated this kind of attitude.

Quote from: gaggedLouise on May 11, 2015, 07:29:04 AM
Prince Harry at a Q&A session with a class of Maori school children in New Zealand:

"What do you call your grandmother the Queen when you're talking to her?"
"Uh, Granny I suppose."
"Do you live in a castle?"
"Certainly not, I don't even have a crown!"

:D

He does not? He doesn't have any regalia at the moment?

Oniya

Quote from: Beorning on May 11, 2015, 07:29:36 AM

He's the younger son - but I'm not even sure that William has any regalia.  Currently, the coronet of the Prince of Wales is held by his father, Prince Charles.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

gaggedLouise

A personal coat of arms perhaps for his letter-writing (e-mail?) stationery and some regal orders to wear on his uniform but no, I'm fairly sure he doesn't hold a sceptre or even a royal belt.  ;)

Princesses tend to have more clearly visible stuff - regal jewellery, diadems, diamond and pearl necklaces and such...

Lustful Bride

So an airline pilot made an emergency stop just to have a 15 year old girl with autism get off the plane because she was 'making him feel uncomfortable'.

Despite the fact that she was at the back of the plane, never made any fuss, never threw any tantrum, and was being watched over by both her parents.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/united-airlines-pilot-makes-emergency-stop-and-kicks-child-with-autism-off-plane-because-he-felt-uncomfortable/ar-BBjAPpt?ocid=HPCDHP

I think this pilot needs to grow a pair, if he cant handle 1 kid with autism on his plane then I fear to see how he would react in a real emergency. And the parents are slightly at fault too because they should have made their kid eat before they got on the plane rather than bothering the flight attendants with that something so simple.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Beorning on May 11, 2015, 07:29:36 AM
Actually, as son of the heir apparent he does have an official 'fancy hat' that you and I would call a crown, only that it's not called that. In official British parlance, only the crown of the monarch is actually called a "crown" (and maybe that of the heir apparent, I'm not 100% certain there). Every other member of the peerage (i.e. baron and higher) and a grandchild of the sovereign has what is called a "coronet". Looks like a crown, but it's not called that.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Zakharra

Quote from: gaggedLouise on May 11, 2015, 08:13:06 AM
A personal coat of arms perhaps for his letter-writing (e-mail?) stationery and some regal orders to wear on his uniform but no, I'm fairly sure he doesn't hold a sceptre or even a royal belt.  ;)

Princesses tend to have more clearly visible stuff - regal jewellery, diadems, diamond and pearl necklaces and such...

Princesses get all the good bling.   :D

Dice

Kythia

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on May 11, 2015, 09:23:05 AM
In official British parlance, only the crown of the monarch is actually called a "crown" (and maybe that of the heir apparent, I'm not 100% certain there).

Nah, Charles gets a Coronet.  This one

Oniya

Quote from: Kythia on May 11, 2015, 12:35:06 PM
Nah, Charles gets a Coronet.  This one

Yup.  That's the one I was talking about.  That one's destined for William if Charles becomes king, as I understand it. (Of course, he'll get it sooner if QE2 outlives Charles, as she's reportedly threatened to do.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Kythia

Quote from: Oniya on May 11, 2015, 01:21:09 PM
Yup.  That's the one I was talking about.  That one's destined for William if Charles becomes king, as I understand it. (Of course, he'll get it sooner if QE2 outlives Charles, as she's reportedly threatened to do.)

Not automatically.  The heir apparent being Prince of Wales is a tradition that requires the monarch to actually enact.  There's nothing preventing King Charles (or whatever his name ends up being) not making William Prince of Wales, hell there's nothing preventing him making me Princess of Wales.  It's a gift from the Monarch, not a title that automatically falls to the heir apparent.  Course, it would be odd if he didn't, but it's not quite "destined" for William.  If QE2 outlives Charles I actually wouldn't be surprised if William doesn't become Prince of Wales, although I would be surprised if she did outlive him.

TheGlyphstone

Is Charles in particularly bad health? The Queen is 89 years old, and he's only 66 otherwise.

Dice

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 11, 2015, 12:02:42 PM
That's behind a paywall for me. What is it about?

Here: http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/un-inspectors-find-undeclared-sarin-linked/6459206

The original artical:
QuoteInspectors have uncovered evidence that President Bashar al-Assad is still holding stocks of chemical weapons, ­almost two years after he promised to declare and destroy his entire stockpile after a devastating attack on a suburb of Damascus.

Investigators from the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons discovered traces of chemicals used to make sarin gas and a nerve agent called VX at the Scientific Studies and Research Centre, a military facility where it is believed that Syria has previously developed chemical and biological weapons. The revelations come six months after the OPCW declared that all of Syria’s chemical weapons stocks had been removed from the country.

Assad agreed to sign the international Chemical Weapons Convention after rockets filled with sarin gas were fired at the Ghouta neighbourhood in August 2013.

The attack killed hundreds of civilians and left many more with long-term illnesses. It brought Syria to the brink of outright war with Britain, France and the US. Direct action was averted at the 11th hour after the British government failed to secure parliamentary backing for a military intervention, and Assad subsequently agreed to a US and Russia-brokered deal to allow UN weapons inspectors into the country. Assad has consistently denied responsibility for the Ghouta attack — described by UN general-secretary Ban Ki-moon to the UN security council as constituting a war crime — claiming it was launched by opposition groups. However, the new findings add to the evidence that regime forces were responsible.

However, chemical weapons expert Hamish de Bretton-Gordon said: “This is yet another key piece of evidence which should lead the UN to state unequivocally that the regime is responsible. The UN and the international community must act, unless they are to lose all credibility.”

The findings were not released by the OPCW, but a diplomatic source confirmed they had thrown doubt on Assad’s commitment to terms set after the Ghouta attack.

“This is a pretty strong indication they have been lying about what they did with sarin,” the source said. “They have so far been unable to give a satisfactory explanation about this finding.”

Sarin is a colourless, odourless liquid that was originally developed as a pesticide. It is a powerful nerve agent that quickly interrupts the breathing reflex when it enters the body.

It is classed as a banned substance under the Chemical Weapons Convention.

Oniya

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 11, 2015, 03:05:24 PM
Is Charles in particularly bad health? The Queen is 89 years old, and he's only 66 otherwise.

Back when Diana was still around, there were some rumors that the Queen didn't really think Charles would make a good king, and that she would make a point of outliving him so that he didn't inherit the monarchy - I'm not sure if this is still the case, of course.  It's more a statement of the Queen's stubbornness than Charles being in any way sickly.

Lilias

Quote from: Oniya on May 11, 2015, 03:16:57 PM
Back when Diana was still around, there were some rumors that the Queen didn't really think Charles would make a good king, and that she would make a point of outliving him so that he didn't inherit the monarchy - I'm not sure if this is still the case, of course.  It's more a statement of the Queen's stubbornness than Charles being in any way sickly.

That's Queen Victoria and Prince Albert all over again. :D At least that one made a decent king in the end.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Beorning

Quote from: Kythia on May 11, 2015, 03:01:04 PM
hell there's nothing preventing him making me Princess of Wales.

Now that would be interesting...  ;)

Deamonbane

#KythiaForPrincessOfWales
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Oniya

Quote from: Lilias on May 11, 2015, 03:30:53 PM
That's Queen Victoria and Prince Albert all over again. :D At least that one made a decent king in the end.

She's apparently only a few months from surpassing Queen Victoria for length of reign.  (That surprised me.)

gaggedLouise

Her mother (also called Elizabeth, known in later decades as the Queen Mum) lived to be a hundred I think. ;)

Dice

To date, best thing on the topic of royals I have seen is the Private Eye's headline when George was born:

"Woman has baby"

Right in line with my care factor on the topic. I am just pissed we are not a republic yet.

Dimir

A 13-year old boy in Hamilton, Ontario became irate after his father took away his Playstation 4. The boy responded by smashing property outside with a hammer and baseball bat and had been previously locked out due to his parents fearing him. The boy was arrested and charged.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/police-called-as-playstation-4-tantrum-leads-to-out-of-control-son-1.3069593

If only this boy could have found an age-appropriate roleplaying site as a new hobby rather than going ballistic over a gaming system. *sigh*

My PM Box is always open for those who wish to chat with someone.
Major fan of Magic The Gathering, Sailor Moon and Pokemon
O/O's: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221869.0

Oniya

I suspect the boy had more issues than just this one tantrum.  Hopefully, he'll get the help he needs.

gaggedLouise

After the British elections, three major party leaders stepped down immediately, their movements having been badly beaten. Nigel Farage of UKIP, however, arose on the third day - as they facetiously stated it at a blog I'm sometimes reading.

gaggedLouise

There's been a major aftershock earthquake in Nepal, not that much weaker than the big one two weeks ago (estimated strength 7.1 Richter against 7.8 for the earlier quake; the scale is logarithmic).  :-(