News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Jaeger Rising - A Pacific Rim interest check

Started by Primarch, July 24, 2013, 12:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yukina

My character would probably be in a Mark III then.

Ember Star

Rev, I'll shoot you a pm later today to discuss our characters and Jaegar. Or you can shoot me one first if you want. Fixing to go run dome errands.
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

Yukina

On second, I will wait till Zenaku returns.

Doomglazer

Is there still a spot open? if so i would be intrested

Revenent

I have a friend who plans on seeing the movie this weekend who may join up, so if he does, that would be one extra.

Darkcide

I vote L.A or Tokyo, don't have a preference. I'll be playing a straight male, and a former MMA fighter as far as pre-PPDC careers go.

Question Mark

I'm willing to draft up a character.  It looks like everyone has a match, but considering that this is a group game (and a BIG one at that), I'm guessing about half of the current players won't make it through the first page of the actual IC thread.  As such, I'd be willing to be a fill-in or replacement for when someone drops out.  I'd also be willing to play as the Kaiju.

On the other hand, it looks like there's been some hashing of details concerning location, orientation, and logistics, but the meat of the story remains largely undiscussed.  Here are some questions:

• What is the primary conflict of the story?  Obviously there will be Jaeger vs. Kaiju battles, but I feel an overarching plot (similar to the film's) would help tie the game together and add weight to the character's actions.  I suggest that our 3-5 Jaegers be a team selected to try and nuke/cross the breach for the first time.
  • What will the structure of the story be?  A freeform game with this many people and an emphasis on being in Jaegers (which are only deployed for Kaiju) would never work; this game needs a strong GM to keep a firm hold on the story to prevent stagnation.
  • Will there be lore characters present?  Will the Marshall make an appearance, or that Aussie dude, or named Jaegers like Gipsy Danger or Cherno Alpha?  Or are we acting slightly out of canon, with a commander who's not mentioned in the canon lore?
  • Speaking of canon, how close to canon will be sticking?  IIRC, all of the Jaegers ever built were named during the hype, but I'm under the impression we'll be "designing" our own, so we'll be breaking canon somewhat there.
  • What kind of posting orders or times will we have?  Having all of the PC's paired up to pilot the Jaegers is an intriguing move, but it will also slow the game tremendously if not handled properly.  I propose following Primarch's "A" method, with a slight alteration: the player whose turn it is to post has 24 hours.  If they don't post within a day, their partner can steal their turn.  If neither post within 48 hours, then we'll say the Kaiju has the advantage or stunned them or whatever and the Kaiju can post.

Primarch

Quote from: Doomglazer on July 25, 2013, 04:20:37 PM
Is there still a spot open? if so i would be intrested

Most certainly

Quote from: Revenent on July 25, 2013, 04:21:42 PM
I have a friend who plans on seeing the movie this weekend who may join up, so if he does, that would be one extra.

Excellent.

Quote from: Darkcide on July 25, 2013, 08:01:09 PM
I vote L.A or Tokyo, don't have a preference. I'll be playing a straight male, and a former MMA fighter as far as pre-PPDC careers go.

At this point I'm going to lock in Tokya as our Shatterdome.

Quote from: Question Mark on July 26, 2013, 12:27:13 AM
What is the primary conflict of the story?  Obviously there will be Jaeger vs. Kaiju battles, but I feel an overarching plot (similar to the film's) would help tie the game together and add weight to the character's actions.  I suggest that our 3-5 Jaegers be a team selected to try and nuke/cross the breach for the first time.
Currently the overarcing plot is the war itself, both the battles agains the Kaiju and what happens during downtime in the scenario, from the highs and lows of war. That being said I'm not here to say "This is the plot, this is what we're doing," I've kicked off interest in a setting and as the GM I'll try keep it structured, but if someone brings up a scenario in the OOC such as 'first attempt at hitting the breach?' and a bunch of people say 'that sounds great' then we can most certainly go with it. I'm open to suggestions to keep things moving and try new things. 

QuoteWhat will the structure of the story be?  A freeform game with this many people and an emphasis on being in Jaegers (which are only deployed for Kaiju) would never work; this game needs a strong GM to keep a firm hold on the story to prevent stagnation.
We'll have one thread for the Shatterdome for the downtime and 'in between missions' period. When a Kaiju emerges, a new thread will be started for that Kaiju. I would recommend the 'Shatterdome' thread continue as normal until after and not reference the Kaiju thread until it is resolved so as not to get held up. That being said, while I'm the GM here I also hope to play. I'll be here to help out and get things going, but I'm not going to hold your hand through the whole game. Players are encouraged to show initiative in making things happen and progressing their own characters. 

QuoteWill there be lore characters present?  Will the Marshall make an appearance, or that Aussie dude, or named Jaegers like Gipsy Danger or Cherno Alpha?  Or are we acting slightly out of canon, with a commander who's not mentioned in the canon lore?
As it stands the basis is that events that happen in canon and people that exist at the time when the game starts exist in this game. If someone decides to take up a canon, they most certainly can. If someone wishes to take up an OC Commander that runs our Shatterdome, they most certainly can.

QuoteSpeaking of canon, how close to canon will be sticking?  IIRC, all of the Jaegers ever built were named during the hype, but I'm under the impression we'll be "designing" our own, so we'll be breaking canon somewhat there.
We will follow full canon up to the point when the game starts and from there we shall break into an AU and proceed with events. As we will be proceeding through the war, we may occasionally skip forward large periods and in those periods events from the lore may be referenced as having happened. Unless of course events in our game make it very unlikely things will proceed as normal.

QuoteWhat kind of posting orders or times will we have?  Having all of the PC's paired up to pilot the Jaegers is an intriguing move, but it will also slow the game tremendously if not handled properly.  I propose following Primarch's "A" method, with a slight alteration: the player whose turn it is to post has 24 hours.  If they don't post within a day, their partner can steal their turn.  If neither post within 48 hours, then we'll say the Kaiju has the advantage or stunned them or whatever and the Kaiju can post.
I've taken a similar approach to games before, makes sense to me. If the players don't post after X period of time, it shall be assumed the Kaiju's last attack landed and damaged shall occur, if the players do not return then eventually the Kaiju will kill them. This also works the other way around. We'll decide on an appropriate waiting time later, we all have other commitments after all.

Primarch

As Paladin hasn't confirmed I've placed Doomgazer on his position. Tokyo is our selected Shatterdome location, if people could start getting characters in it would be appreciated. Once the characters in a couple of teams are approved we'll start Jaeger approval and start IC.

Is there any place for someone that can't post consistently? I'd like to play, but with my life as it is, it's hard to find the time. Doesn't have to be a pilot or anything.

Primarch

Could take someone at the Shatterdome that's not a Ranger, one of the scientists or engineers or any other form of expert. Even a Doctor...or the PR person.

My first thought is the daughter of one of the Jaeger program's founders, who died in one of the attacks, and has taken up his mantle.

Primarch

This gentleman appears to be one the main mastermind's behind the whole thing. Other people of importance can be found on that site too I believe.

How important is the extended universe stuff? I have to be pretty picky about how I spend my time lately, so I was planning to just make someone up. I'm glad to hear any suggestions you might have.

Primarch

Quote from: Karma on July 28, 2013, 02:45:26 PM
How important is the extended universe stuff? I have to be pretty picky about how I spend my time lately, so I was planning to just make someone up. I'm glad to hear any suggestions you might have.

I'm looking to respect the established story up to the point where we start. But adding elements where there is space is perfectly permissible.

Now that I think about it, if I'm playing a Jaeger developer, reading that comic would be more than a little helpful... *chuckle*

Genbu83

Awesome concept, to put it lightly you have just put my inner child into puberty.

I would be game to pilot and possibly play kaiju.

Primarch

Quote from: Genbu83 on July 28, 2013, 11:18:55 PM
Awesome concept, to put it lightly you have just put my inner child into puberty.

I would be game to pilot and possibly play kaiju.

Feel free to submit a character!

Yukina

Just finished discussing my character, so will be put up sometime today.

Primarch

Quote from: Yugishogun on July 29, 2013, 08:39:38 AM
Just finished discussing my character, so will be put up sometime today.

Excellent. How about everyone else?

I'm gonna try to wedge in some time to read the comic and get you something tonight.

evangel

Had a busy weekend, so just started talking with my partner now. Still here!

Question Mark

Name: Dr. Ryan Kodo
Nationality: Chinese/American

Appearance: Standing at 165cm, Dr. Kodo has a lithe and compact frame.  His often messy black hair is kept somewhat short, his scraggly beard more-or-less in check.  He has a single small gauge in his left ear, and a black tattoo on his right jaw hidden beneath his beard.

Positive Personality Traits: Attentive, easygoing, empathetic
Negative Personality Traits: Callous, habitual, lazy

Pre-PPDC Experience: Earned his Bachelors, Masters, and PhD at Boston University, working in neurobiology, specifically neural-machine interfacing.  Worked through post-docs in Boston and Tokyo, conducting research on electrical trauma to human neurons and the transfer of impulses from neuron to circuit, respectively.  After securing a position as an assistant professor at Tokyo University, Onibaba attacked the city, wounding Kodo and killing hundreds of thousands of others.  Although he had previously considered the Kaiju fascinating and a passing novelty, the stark reality of Onibaba's attack prompted Kodo to join the PPDC.  He originally worked on research into improving the Drift, but was eventually recruited as a Ranger.

Other Skills:
Trilingual (Mandarin, Japanese, English)
Wushu (Chinese martial art), especially Zui Quan (Drunken Fist)
Excellent swimmer
Extensive knowledge of neurobiology

Bio: Born in China, moved to Boston before his first birthday.  Normal childhood, won several Wushu tournaments as a teenager, and even participated in one in China (5th place).  Attended BU, etc. etc.

Ember Star

"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

TheGlyphstone

It's called "Pacific Rim: Tales From Year Zero".