News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Comments or criticism about the new blogging format is welcome : )

Started by Vekseid, March 08, 2009, 06:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

Obviously, will work on better organization in the future. However, right now my main goal is to get everyone's old blogs into SMF here, to encourage commenting and general forum amukary.

Haibane

Will they no longer be on the main page? If so.. why? I enjoyed dipping into them there.

A blog in forum format feels strange and not... bloggy... if you get my drift.

Vekseid

Quote from: Haibane on March 10, 2009, 06:56:57 PM
Will they no longer be on the main page? If so.. why? I enjoyed dipping into them there.

A blog in forum format feels strange and not... bloggy... if you get my drift.

Want something where people can comment on them and not worry about having them disappear in a forum upgrade. Also one less software package to track. Also allows the entirety of the admin team to control who blogs.

What I want to do is well... make them feel less forumy and more bloggy, so suggestions are appreciated : /

Haibane

Okies, yes, I guess not having to juggle more software than you need to is good.

As to making them look more bloggy and less forum-y... um... have them somehow linked to a person's profile? If they are going to be in the forum they are part of the forum I guess... it's a tricky one if you don't want them on the main page. I know you've already rejected the idea but the main page is the best place for them I think, since visitors to the site are likely to dip into them there and they thus become a good adertisement for the sorts of thinking that goes on here and the writers who dwell here.

Once you get to the forum page... they kinda get lost. Unless you have a header or a side bar of some kind.

Caeli

From the main blog page, I would create some kind of sidebar, with modules - Recent entries, recent posters, and a cloud tag. That would definitely make it seem more blog-like.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Vekseid

Quote from: Haibane on March 11, 2009, 03:45:42 AM
Okies, yes, I guess not having to juggle more software than you need to is good.

As to making them look more bloggy and less forum-y... um... have them somehow linked to a person's profile? If they are going to be in the forum they are part of the forum I guess... it's a tricky one if you don't want them on the main page. I know you've already rejected the idea but the main page is the best place for them I think, since visitors to the site are likely to dip into them there and they thus become a good adertisement for the sorts of thinking that goes on here and the writers who dwell here.

Once you get to the forum page... they kinda get lost. Unless you have a header or a side bar of some kind.

Well they'll be going back to being linked from the main page after a few more people move them over.

Can certainly make a little sidebar though. Tag clouds, hrm... There is a mod for them, will look into adding : )

Vekseid

Caeli

... I like! :D

I think, for the entries, the title should be more pronounced from the rest of the entry - have it bigger, maybe have an
underneath the entry title / date of entry. And tags? :O Or categories...?

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Desan

Now these blogs...they can be as random as the writer chooses for them to be correct? Nothing really...specifically "On Topic" per say?
And I don’t really give a f-ck, and my excuse is that I’m young.

Vekseid

Quote from: Caeli on March 12, 2009, 07:02:29 PM
... I like! :D

I think, for the entries, the title should be more pronounced from the rest of the entry - have it bigger, maybe have an
underneath the entry title / date of entry. And tags? :O Or categories...?

Tags can wait, I think, will see.

And yes, as long as it's somewhat worthwhile. Want it to be something people will read, etc : )

Vekseid

Caeli

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ