The Games of Nobles

Started by Darrow Huck, May 27, 2013, 04:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darrow Huck

Okay, this is an idea for an RP I had. I'm throwing this out there to get some comments on the setting or things that I should clear up before an official interest check.

Setting:

The setting is an an alternate universe version of the united states. The technology is identical to the real world's. The setting is predominately Christian, although with a slightly more 1700's attitude. Culturally, it is much the same, except where the premise of the RP would make it diverge. 

Instead of having a popularly elected government, the country has a noble class. The nobles run the country via an elected council. Only a noble is allowed to either vote for or serve as a council member. Only a noble is allowed to own land, although there are a similar number of "home owners" as the real world, with the exception that their homes are leased from nobles.

The Law:

For the common people, the law is pretty much the same as it is in the real US unless a noble is involved. A noble's testimony is almost always accepted over a commoner's. A noble who is found guilty of a crime against a commoner only faces paying some nominal fines. A commoner found guilty of a crime against a noble is likely to face imprisonment or slavery. 

Slavery:

Nobles are also allowed to own slaves. Owning a large number of slaves for mundane labor is still technically legal, but is looked down upon in modern times. Most nobles own less than a dozen slaves, with only a few still owning a hundred or more. Most slaves are used as some form of personal assistant, from maids to nannies to sexual servants. Any offspring of a female slave is born as a slave. Certain crimes are also punishable by enslavement, and some commoners have even entered slavehood voluntarily. The most valuable and sought-after kind of slave, however, is a former noble who has been found guilty of crimes against the council and is stripped of his position.

Slaves have few legal protections. Their owners are not allowed to outright kill them, although the wealthy and powerful usually have little trouble covering up such a crime. They are also not allowed to intentionally cause their slaves serious bodily injuries. Physical punishments are perfectly legal, however, and some nobles will occasionally get "carried away". It is socially expected that an obedient slave will be treated well, however, so a noble who develops a reputation for cruelty will likely face other consequences.

Slaves are legally required to be placed in some form of bondage while not on their owner's estate. This is satisfied by having a locked tracking collar, but it is customary to have a slave's hands cuffed as well while he or she is not serving their master.

The Game:

The nobles are subject to a code of law preventing them from trying to seize more power at other noble's expense. This code is strictly enforced- at least against any noble foolish enough to get caught. In reality, the nobles are constantly competing against each other, trying to gain more wealth and power by any means they can get away with.

Recently, a council seat has been vacated due to the death of a very old, long-standing member. An election will soon be held to refill it, and some individuals will do anything it takes to secure it for themselves.

Sharon

sansa

O/O
Hello E friends. For those who've role played with me, I disappeared for a while due to lack of access to a computer and personal issues. Life has calmed down and I now have access to E and inspiration has struck me again. :)

minerva7790

Quote from: sansa on June 06, 2013, 08:21:01 PM
I'll be watching this :)

As will I. I may also have to do an inventory check to see if I have time for this. ;)
'But I will wear my heart upon my sleeve
For daws to peck at: I am not what I am.'

Ons and Offs ~ Absences and Apologies

satinanddaggers

Watching too. Would be a nice way to ease back into E.

Charlemagne

Put me on the watch list too. My preferred role would be a male slave (Id like to come up with a rather well described, thought out reason of why he's enslaved) to a female noble.

Anyway, yea. Bookmarked.

Caela

This sounds like it has the potential to be highly entertaining. Would probably look at playing a female Noble.

Question, is either sex more highly favored than the other? Are either men or women punished or rewarded more than the other or are they pretty well equals with only the difference between Noble/Commoner/Slave mattering?

Vaulera

Oh! If my new schedule will allow, I would love to be a part of this, as a female slave (probably a noble-turned slave, if possible).