News:

Main Menu

Deadliest Warrior

Started by Sabby, January 21, 2011, 05:33:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

Just gotten into it, and I can best describe it as 'Mythbusters 4 Fratboyz'. A fictional battle between historical fighters is brainstormed by researching the two's tactics and weapons, and using the typical high speed camera style science to determine how effective the weapons are. Even though the science is a bit thin sometimes, with no repeatable results, and only an unexplained 'simulation program' to handle the theorizing, I am enjoying it a lot.

The test dummies have flesh, bone, brain matter and blood, which is just obscenely awesome, and each episode seems to boil down to both sides just having a passive aggressive bitch fit over whose weapons are better.

Currently on Apache vs Gladiator.

RubySlippers

I want to see the ultimate match from seasons one and two - Vlad the Impaler verses the Spartan Warrior. Come on that huge shield is a devestating weapon and defense even against perhaps Vlads primitive gunpowder weapons and crossbow technology. And I'd like to see the CIA verses the James Gang that would be funny.

Inkidu

Some of their reasons are so stupid though. They give out weapons' edges because they think it's neat. They gave the Spetsnaz the hand held weapon because they had a spring loaded shooty knife and the Green Beret entrenching tool was not designed "to be a weapon".

I also saw the shooting course. The beret went down it no nonsense hitting the cardboard targets as they popped up. The Russian did all these stupid little rolls and you can literally count three seconds before he deals with a cutout enemy on his right. Guess what you're dead, idiot!

They're totally biased. Empirical... I doubt that.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Shjade

The tests get sillier as the season progresses, the final "simulation" is almost always hilariously off-base (especially when it comes to tactics - why on earth would a ninja, equipped for stealth attacks and sabotage, shout before striking to alert his heavily armored target that he should put his shield up? Because Spartans beat ninja, obviously! *facepalm*), the judging serves no purpose since what the two hosts of the show think of the test results is irrelevant to the final testing data...basically the show is a comedy dressed up as research and experimentation.

Good for watching when you need to blow off some steam laughing at people behaving foolishly without the faux-drama attached to 90% of reality TV shows.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Sabby

Very well put Shade.

The announcer cums a little every time he says DEADLIEST! xD

I'm only just starting season 2, and I can tell they ran out of ideas :/ they're choosing actual people instead of orders or cultures... which is fine, just makes me think they ran out of warrior types.

Favourite so far was Monk vs Maori. That was poetic justice right there >.> Big ignorant Kiwi with more neck then brains spending the whole episode being a smacktalking dick (even by the shows usual standards) only to see his warrior absolutely raped, and then blame it on the computer.

Shjade

Quote from: Sabby on January 30, 2011, 03:04:58 AM
Big ignorant Kiwi with more neck then brains spending the whole episode being a smacktalking dick (even by the shows usual standards) only to see his warrior absolutely raped, and then blame it on the computer.
Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention: the smack talk? It just gets worse as the shows go on, too. Good lord, the Mob episode was SO camp.
◕/◕'s

Sabby

I kind of like it. Loved when they were testing the morningstar and they kept heckling the pirate team like "Oh! Look at that! Imagine that's a pirate =D dead. Totally dead" "Cool. You hit half a man who wasn't moving >.>" "...D=<"

Jag

It's not been updated in a while, but I had a Dealiest Warrior thread some time ago if you want to check out what some of the people said about it about a year ago:

Deadliest Warrior

Despite all it's flaws and the issues I have with the computer simulations, it's a fun show to watch and think about.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Funguy81

I think its a fun show to watch just cause you get to see the effects of the actual weapons on dummies. While the outcomes of the battles and the choice of weapons are always questionable, but the real life damage done to the dummies by the "experts" are non-negotiable. By the ways, i'm stretching the definition of experts because some of them are not quite the experts they play out to be.

Vandren

Quote from: Shjade on January 30, 2011, 02:57:16 AMThe tests get sillier as the season progresses, the final "simulation" is almost always hilariously off-base (especially when it comes to tactics - why on earth would a ninja, equipped for stealth attacks and sabotage, shout before striking to alert his heavily armored target that he should put his shield up? Because Spartans beat ninja, obviously! *facepalm*)

As a friend put it: "The Ninja's going to sneak into the Spartan's camp at night, cut his throat, then show up at the match the next day and ask where his opponent is."
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Sabby

Performing Necromancy here... why? Because George Washiongton and Napolean decided they wanted to kill each other.

Yup, season 3 has started. Thoughts on the episode?

Jag

I'm looking forward to next week. Joan of Arc vs William the Conqueror. It's their first female warrior.

Sabby

Yeah, looks like I called it right... they're running out of warrior archtypes and going more specific. I miss those battles with a type of warrior I wouldn't typicallly know of, like Apache and Zulu, but they weren't completely obscure, and now its all about history buffs.

Its still awesome though.

Sabby

Oniya

They did something like 'Deadliest Character' last year (everyone from Temeraire from Naomi Novic's Blackpowder War series to Drizzt, to Megatron [weakness:  Starscream]) in a tournament fashion.  I think Cthulhu made an appearance as well.  Mr. Oniya was following it with great amusement, because they did it by votes, and someone would write up a description of the battle and how the character that won the popular vote beat his/her opponent.  Sometimes, that involved a lucky shot or outright sneakiness.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sabby

Jag

Quote from: Sabby on October 09, 2011, 01:21:20 AM
They finally gave up any semblance of realism.

Deadliest Warrior Season 3 Episode 10 -- Vampires vs. Zombies (1 of 5)

Vampires vs Zombies

I saw that one. They actually used more science and realistic situations in that one than in most of their episodes.

Oniya

*nods*  They used an attack dog to simulate the jaw pressure of something that just doesn't care how hard it's biting, and an alligator to simulate the speed of a vampire strike.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Jag

I thought using blind folded muscle men to tear open the chest of a 'vampire' to see hold long it would take to get to the heart and destroy it was pretty neat.

Sabby

I couldn't see the rest of the episode, parts 4 and 5 don't seem to be uploaded yet, but I did see the speed test with the one vampire taking on a hoard with clawed gauntlets. Was like something out of The One.

Chris Brady

According to their site, they realized their mistake with season 1 and 2.  See, the big issue (for me) is that all they were comparing was weapon data and that was it.  Also, the Spartan vs. Ninja was actually more of a toss up.  Ninja aren't completely silent when stealthing (no one is) and the Spartan was trained to wake at a hair trigger of any 'odd' sound (what constitutes as odd was left to the imagination) so it would have probably be closer to 50/50, than the utter raping that happened.

The big turn off to me was the Knight vs. Pirate.  A) Pirates are NOT warriors.  They're raiders, they'd have run away long before the Knight showed up.  B) the Grenado was not something they used in a fight.  C) The technology gap was too wide.  The Gonne was designed to defeat plate, long before the 18th century Pirate even existed, giving him an unfair advantage from the beginning.

However, it was cool to see that broadsword myth busted.  Damn, that thing sheared right through that pig clean!  The saber/cutlass tore it's way through, leaving a ragged, if equally deadly, cut.

Season 3, they claimed would add things like tendancies, tactics and skills to the mix of data.  Haven't been able to watch any more episodes to see what sort of difference their talk made.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Shjade

Quote from: Chris Brady on October 09, 2011, 11:25:58 AM
Season 3, they claimed would add things like tendancies, tactics and skills to the mix of data.  Haven't been able to watch any more episodes to see what sort of difference their talk made.

The difference it made: not much. They talk about it more and there's more trash talk about how my dad would beat up your dad because my dad knows kung fu, but the tests just come out to weapon analysis in the end anyway. You can't input tactics as math into their simulation, I'd guess.
◕/◕'s

Oniya

I watch it for the porcine mayhem, myself.  Although, they do seem to be working with more contemporaneous opponents now.

Sabby

I've yet to see a weapon trump Vlad's sword. I know I'm parroting the show here, but until I see something better, that is one of the best designed weapons I've ever seen. It cut an entire pig in half with almost no resistance, and yeah, that's been done, but only by weapons so heavy they would class as clubs. This thing could be swung several times in one hand.

Oniya

The katana didn't do too shabby at making pork chops.