Salma Hayek Breastfeeds Baby

Started by Caity, February 11, 2009, 09:47:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caity

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/feb/12/health-breastfeeding-salma-hayek

I saw this tonight on TMZ and was appalled at the joke they made of it.  But I suppose that's what TMZ does.  The thing that pissed me off the most was the slide-in advertisement of Similac. 

Thoughts and opinions?

WyldRanger

My initial thought is that there is no reason to hide breastfeeding from the public. It's a natural way of giving a baby the nutrition it needs at that stage and actually quite beautiful.

As for the publicity and overreaction of the media....*shrugs* what else is new?

Caity

Thanks Xana!  It is very beautiful.  I was nearly in tears watching it.  The little baby, only a week old, is eating so well and he's so engaged and looking at her.  It's beautiful.

Does the guy in the video say, "hide this from the kids?"  I couldn't quite tell.  But it's like... with all the crap on TV, does he really think breastfeeding needs to be hidden?  *sighs*

WyldRanger

Quote from: Caity on February 11, 2009, 10:04:01 PM
Does the guy in the video say, "hide this from the kids?"  I couldn't quite tell.  But it's like... with all the crap on TV, does he really think breastfeeding needs to be hidden?  *sighs*

See that's what pisses me off sometimes about television morality. We can have people like Jerry Springer showcasing harlots and sluts who don't give a shit about anything, say anything and wear nothing just for shock value...yet a simple woman breastfeeding a baby causes a ruckus?  ::)

Oniya

I've been told I have a natural Obfuscate, and managed to feed my little one in all sorts of places with no comment.  The only time someone did comment was when I did so at a concert (lawn seats) - and they congratulated me.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Caity

I breastfed my son until he was a little over 2.  It's really one of the most empowering, joyful experiences I believe is possible.  I didn't care where I fed him, if he was hungry, he ate.  Simple.

Quote from: Xana on February 11, 2009, 10:10:00 PM
See that's what pisses me off sometimes about television morality. We can have people like Jerry Springer showcasing harlots and sluts who don't give a shit about anything, say anything and wear nothing just for shock value...yet a simple woman breastfeeding a baby causes a ruckus?  ::)

This and the advertisement for formula really pissed me off.  TMZ advertised the formula, not this article. 

The Overlord

Salma Hayek has breasts? Hadn't noticed.  :)

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Xana on February 11, 2009, 10:10:00 PM

Of course, TV rating and morality hypocrisy is nothing new.

Why can we see someone getting his brains blown out on prime-time TV, but not a nude human being taking a stroll?

Lilias

Good for her! It takes a lot of courage, with all the pressure stars get, not to do anything that could impair their looks or keep them out of work for any length of time.

Breastfeeding is a big issue, and mightily screwed up over there... you might want to read this blog and its comments.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Lithos

I do not get all this fuss about breast feeding. It is the most natural thing related to growing up a kid there is. Only thing I sometimes feel wrong when looking at it is tinge of jealousy at the kid :P
There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

Caity

Quote from: Lilias on February 12, 2009, 02:07:22 AM
Good for her! It takes a lot of courage, with all the pressure stars get, not to do anything that could impair their looks or keep them out of work for any length of time.

Breastfeeding is a big issue, and mightily screwed up over there... you might want to read this blog and its comments.

I can't read anymore comments. Ugh.  It's ridiculous and a different time.  People don't have to expose their entire breast to breastfeed, I certainly didn't.  Nor should they have to leave the room.  They're not taking a dump, they're feeding their child.  People who see it as something other than that, need to leave the room and my house and not come back.  I was the first woman in 14 or 15 years to breastfeed in my family, and it was joked about or whispered about is hushed voices.  If it bothers people so much, they need to not look.  Believe it or not, breastfeeding women aren't putting on a show for them to watch. 

Lilias

Did you get to the one about the restaurant scene? It's the one I found most infuriating of all.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Caity

There are several restaurant stories (I highlighted 'restaurant).  :)
It just makes me mad.  I didn't do much breastfeeding in public, just because I'm much more of a home-body type of person, but if I was out and he needed to eat, he ate.  I don't think I ever got dirty looks, and if I was in a store, I went to the dressing room. 

It's just unfortunate that breastfeeding is met with such disdain when it is so much better for the child. 

Lilias

I suppose it unnerves a lot of people that breasts can be functional as well as decorative *snickers*
~Wendell Berry

Caity

They're most decorative when they're also functional.  Hehe. 

Oniya

“Nursing does not diminish the beauty of a woman’s breasts; it enhances their charm by making them look lived in and happy.”  ~Robert A. Heinlein
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Maeven

I saw a spot on it on Good Morning America this morning. Good for Salma Hayek.  The negativity surrounding breast feeding is disheartening and I'm happy that some of the folks in the public eye are trying to change that.  Angelina Jolie was also featured recently breast feeding her twins in, I think, Vanity Fair. 

What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule

Scott

Ahhhh, it's a natural thing and I don't see a single thing wrong with it. They are just making a big deal out of it because of her celebrity.   

WyldRanger

Quote from: TyTheDnDGuy on February 12, 2009, 01:45:00 AM
Of course, TV rating and morality hypocrisy is nothing new.

Why can we see someone getting his brains blown out on prime-time TV, but not a nude human being taking a stroll?

*nods* My point exactly!

Oniya

I know I'd rather see a nude human taking a stroll ;)

Trieste

It's interesting that people see it that way. Around here, when someone does something incredibly stupid, one of the things you can say to them is, "Were you not breast fed as a child?" and it's seen as inferior, developmentally and socially. I didn't run into the same kind of slang other places that I lived, so while I'm not entirely certain, that sort of thing speaks to me of a different culture where I grew up... which in turn leads me to wonder if it's a regional thing to feel that you have to "Put that thing away". It's so ingrained where I grew up that it's always sort of been "If I ever have a baby, of course they'll be breast-fed. There isn't any other way." ... and with that comes, I think, more acceptance of doing so in public. I see women doing it in restaurants, and on benches in the mall (granted, out-of-the-way benches, but still benches in the mall's atrium). It wasn't until I moved somewhere else that I began to realise that this was not the way things were everywhere.