News:

Main Menu

Dragon Age 2

Started by NightBlade, January 18, 2011, 04:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CmdrRenegade

I can see that, but the assumption is that people want to bring her along at least a few times. 
"Every creative act is open war against The Way It Is."-Tycho Brahe of Penny Arcade

I'm CmdrRenegade and these are my Ons and Offs and Apologies and Abcenses on Elliquiy.

Inkidu

In a rather ambiguous game like Dragon Age: Origins (Why the flipping first game needed a subtitle I'll never know.) a straight up selfish character in your party is annoying. Morrigan got left at camp and wooed.

That's something they're fixing with DA 2. Now you no longer have to have someone like you oodles to get their nice big massive stat boosts. They say (the developers) that having a party member disapprove of Hawke's actions will also garner some reward. They're working hard to foster that, "How would I play?" game style.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Serephino

I get Morrigan to like me by giving her gifts and talking to her.  It's easy if you know how to respond to her.  Getting her mother's grimoire from the tower makes her like you a lot, as does killing her mother.   

Wyrd

I just gave her the gifts that the strategy guide told me to and Wham Bam Sex. Easy, easy, easy
Ragtime Dandies!

Inkidu

Quote from: Wyrd on January 22, 2011, 08:42:48 PM
I just gave her the gists that the strategy guise told me to and Wham Bam Sex. Easy, easy, easy
Isn't it though. I can literally get her in the sack like right after Lothering. Lilianna on the other hand is like a freaking puzzle box of crazy!
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on January 23, 2011, 05:12:14 PM
Isn't it though. I can literally get her in the sack like right after Lothering. Lilianna on the other hand is like a freaking puzzle box of crazy!

She's all adorable until you find out she's a highly trained assassin. But it's okay, that happens to me all the time.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on January 23, 2011, 07:12:05 PM
She's all adorable until you find out she's a highly trained assassin. But it's okay, that happens to me all the time.
Nothing so plebeian, my friend. She's an agent. She's like the James Bond of the fantasy world. She does a lot more than kill people.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on January 23, 2011, 07:16:21 PM
Nothing so plebeian, my friend. She's an agent. She's like the James Bond of the fantasy world. She does a lot more than kill people.

Technically, she's a bard. ; D

Inkidu

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on January 23, 2011, 07:47:08 PM
And she can sing too!

Apparently, she came up with the main Dragon Age theme ... thing.

Anyway. Adorable, and dangerous. Sexually .. open. Red hair! Weirdly likeable accent.

What's not to love?

I mean, aside from being batshit insane.

Wolfy

Has this not been posted?

Buy Dead Space 2 and get Sir Isaac Clark's armor:

Dead Space 2 - Armor for Dragon Age 2 Trailer (HD 720p)

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on January 23, 2011, 07:51:59 PM
Apparently, she came up with the main Dragon Age theme ... thing.

Anyway. Adorable, and dangerous. Sexually .. open. Red hair! Weirdly likeable accent.

What's not to love?

I mean, aside from being batshit insane.
French equals weird accent? I can't wait to see the Chantry Seeker character for DA 2. It's supposed to be like Templar Internal Affairs.

EDIT: Thanks, Wolfy, thanks a lot. :(

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on January 23, 2011, 08:41:23 PM
French equals weird accent? I can't wait to see the Chantry Seeker character for DA 2. It's supposed to be like Templar Internal Affairs.

It's weird because sometimes she doesn't sound French at all. It's puzzling. I do like her accent, don't get me wrong, but if someone had that accent and there was no indication at all that they were from a place inspired by France, I would not immediately identify it as a French accent.

Wolfy

Quote from: Inkidu on January 23, 2011, 08:41:23 PM

EDIT: Thanks, Wolfy, thanks a lot. :(

...:/ Ya know, you could just hook your 360 up to the internet to download it... You don't need a gold account for that, ya know.

Inkidu

Quote from: Wolfy on January 23, 2011, 08:52:26 PM
...:/ Ya know, you could just hook your 360 up to the internet to download it... You don't need a gold account for that, ya know.
I can't, I don't have a hardline. I don't have wireless I Virizon mobile broadband. I don't think it hooks the Xbox up.
Plus those cards have expiration dates.

Wolfy

Quote from: Inkidu on January 23, 2011, 08:56:59 PM
I can't, I don't have a hardline. I don't have wireless I Virizon mobile broadband. I don't think it hooks the Xbox up.
Plus those cards have expiration dates.

:/ Why don't you buy a router and hook your xbox and computer up to that, then? You know, split the connection?

Inkidu

Quote from: Wolfy on January 23, 2011, 09:07:11 PM
:/ Why don't you buy a router and hook your xbox and computer up to that, then? You know, split the connection?
How would I go about doing that with a broadband modem that creates a wi-fi hotspot? I have no internet out here, none. I have to get it from a cell tower basically.

I have no hard lines or anything. Where would I route it from?

Wolfy

Quote from: Inkidu on January 23, 2011, 09:12:51 PM
How would I go about doing that with a broadband modem that creates a wi-fi hotspot? I have no internet out here, none. I have to get it from a cell tower basically.

I have no hard lines or anything. Where would I route it from?

Well then...I'd say buy the little Wireless thing for the Xbox, but that's way too expensive. >_>

Inkidu

Quote from: Wolfy on January 23, 2011, 09:36:19 PM
Well then...I'd say buy the little Wireless thing for the Xbox, but that's way too expensive. >_>
I doubt it would still work. I really do.

Wolfy

Well if you have one of the newer models, they can just hook up wirelessly automatically. o3o

Samael

Not sure I like what I've seen of the new game so far.
It's like they tried to "actionize" it, and I don't think that'll go over so well (it won't with me), I also don't care for that they took out the relationships and tried to give your character a preplanned direction. Will have to see how it goes... That aside, I totally dig the pieces of the new soundtrack though.
On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

Hemingway

Quote from: Samael on January 25, 2011, 01:42:41 AM
It's like they tried to "actionize" it, and I don't think that'll go over so well (it won't with me)

I was uneasy about that as well, but judging by the gameplay videos, the changes are an improvement. Combat in DA:O felt clunky at times, and what I saw really looked more like ... like fights will be shorter, more frantic so to speak. It's so of hard to describe. But the bottom line is, whatever they did, it didn't look like it was at the expense of planning. In fact, I think planning ahead rather than rushing in will give you more of an edge in this game, than the last one.

Quote from: Samael on January 25, 2011, 01:42:41 AMI also don't care for that they took out the relationships

I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean by this. I'm curious, though, so any chance you could elaborate? : )

Quote from: Samael on January 25, 2011, 01:42:41 AMand tried to give your character a preplanned direction.

I guess this is a fair point. I'm a huge fan of character creation and all that myself, but ... considering how much I like Mass Effect, and how well the same formula worked there ... I'm excited about it. But that is a question of personal taste.

Inkidu

Is it preplanned in that you go from point A to point B? Yes.

I actually think it allows a really interesting and large amount of freedom to be honest. Dragon Age isn't about the Gray Wardens, it isn't even about Fereldan. It's about the whole whopping shebang.

So, you get to decide how the tale of Hawke, The Hero Of Kirkwall becomes the hero of Kirkwall. It's a story that's told from the present and sure you go into preset areas and do stuff, but it's the stuff that you do while there that makes the freedom. Seriously, is it any worse than choosing which stand-alone area you go to next when it doesn't matter when you go to them? I always thought that was a bit clunky to be honest.

So yeah, you're a human, yeah you've got a name, but it still allows you a lot of freedom. I would think more than Mass Effect really. Because the actions Hawke makes will be felt for years to come, and the narrative setup makes it where you will feel those choices later in the story instead of some text blurb at the end.

Apple of Eris

I can't wait! I don't like most games since I'm not much of a gamer, but I LOVED Dragon Age, and some of the expansion stuff. I hope they didn't go too action-y since the combat was the hardest part for me. I had to keep pausing just to get my bearings. I so miss turn based.... still the story was really good in the first, and I absolutely adored the setting... [Dragon Age RP anyone? ;-) ] so I have high hopes for part the second, and I hope they kept all the party companion chatter and what not, that really made the first game. My only complaint is that I want to be a dalish elf again dangit! :-(
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Inkidu

Actually being a human is not that irksome to me. I never beat a Dragon Age game unless I was human. Male or female, didn't matter. I just could only play it as a human. Maybe because I don't like elves, and dwarves should remain lovable comic sidekicks. (Ogren anyone?) I have to give credit to the DA staff though, elves were well done and not the perfect pointy-eared bastards that they always seem to be.

Look at the party though:

Alastair: Human.
Lilianna: Human.
Morrigan: Human.
Wynn: Human
Dog: Canine.
Sten: Qunari (sp).
Ogren: Dwarf.
Zevran: Elf.

So my bias may be more engineered than I think. Seriously, no city-elf party member?  Literally half the party is human. So it actually comes out half and half. Even the plot was human-centered. Less than half actually lets not count the dog.

While I'm at it. I might as well say that. They're supposedly (this is from what I've read in Game Informer) making it more action-y in the following ways. i.e. If you're a warrior instead of dumbly running up to your intended buyer of a sword slash he does a little dash. They've taken out the clunk. The attack animations are also getting some more variety.

Possible Spoilers ahead if you've never played Dragon Age:

Also: My least favorite part of Dragon Age has got to be the Sloth Demon part. Oh my God, root canals have got to be more fun than that stupid part. I always do the tower first because of that part. It even beats out the Deep Roads part. (Which only redeems itself because of the horror-like atmosphere as you near the broodmother.