Things That Did or Did Not Need a Sequel/Precursor

Started by Inkidu, August 03, 2010, 11:58:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

I will tell you what brought this about. So recently TNT ran the Matrix Trilogy and so I was thinking about it and I came to this conclusion:

The Matrix did not need a sequel let alone two. The function of the other two movies served only to do two things. That is, they further convoluted the plot until you were waiting for the next fight sequence just to numb your brain and the second thing was they just nerfed the hell out of Neo and made his whole existence kind of moot. 

Whatcha' think? It can be movies, books, games. Just kind of give a reason... so it doesn't descend into just angst-ridden whatever.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

King_Furby

Tomba - Ps1 game. It's kinda of one of the hidden gems of the system, it was a fun puzzle-platform game and i loved it. But then they did Tomba II in 3d and it wasn't good. It's shameful the sequel had no magic in it.

And there does not need to be so many Spyro the dragon games.

Hunter

I agree about the Matrix really not needing a sequel.

Needs a Sequel: Legend of the Dragoon.  Also Parasite Eve needs another sequel.

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Wolfy

Titanic..well, not a sequel, but a retelling...a MUSICAL.

That gave us this(Feel free to Cringe in horror):

Titanic: The Animated Movie - It's PARTY TIME

King_Furby

they are actually making Titanic 2.

Snakes on a plane should never get a sequel

Wolfy

Quote from: King_Furby on August 03, 2010, 08:18:57 PM
they are actually making Titanic 2.

..O_O...What..No..no no no no no no no no no no no no no no *gasp* no no no no NO!. o-o

Falanor

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Wolfy

Jude

Wolfy

Falanor

Quote from: Wolfy on August 03, 2010, 10:08:58 PM
..It's getting one? O-o
Yes, unfortunately, they've been planning it for a while now and Smith is even wanting to return to the role, since they went with the Action ending in theaters he can't be in a sequel so there you go.  I'm hoping this movie concept dies a horrible death that it deserves...

Geeklet

This that did not need a prequel? The original Star Wars trilogy...

Will

Quote from: Falanor on August 03, 2010, 11:13:12 PM
Yes, unfortunately, they've been planning it for a while now and Smith is even wanting to return to the role, since they went with the Action ending in theaters he can't be in a sequel so there you go.  I'm hoping this movie concept dies a horrible death that it deserves...

That is... what?  I don't... I don't even know what to say about that.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Oniya

Wouldn't the prequel to I Am Legend just be a classic 'plague-ridden-monsters' movie where the monsters win?  After all, I Am Legend (assuming that the movie was remotely close to the book in the way that Beastmaster was not) was about the last surviving human and his war against the 'creatures of the night'.

Heaven Sent Blossom

Quote from: King_Furby on August 03, 2010, 08:18:57 PM

It should spawn an entire series of "[Insert Animal] On A.." movies. All of them starring Dean Cain.

RubySlippers

My big pet peev on what the frak were they thinking:

Halloween, the revisioning by Rob Zombie

I thought the remake was genius the sequal was so stupid and annoying I lost alot of respect for Rob Zombie who created a masterpiece in the first.

On a similar note is anyone else sick of remakes of old movies that don't do anything special to the original? Halloween is fine the director really did revision it to be new and deeper. But come one Karate Kid when they don't do Karate and ,gasp, Clash of the Titans. And I heard that the legendary Logan's Run is being remade I see no reason for that at all.

Wolfy

Quote from: Oniya on August 04, 2010, 01:43:21 AM
Wouldn't the prequel to I Am Legend just be a classic 'plague-ridden-monsters' movie where the monsters win?  After all, I Am Legend (assuming that the movie was remotely close to the book in the way that Beastmaster was not) was about the last surviving human and his war against the 'creatures of the night'.

Well..techniqually, It's about the "last Surviving Human" fighting creatures of the night and surviving, broadcasting a message to anyone who will listen..

UNTIL.

Spoilers!

He finds out that he's not the last man on earth, at all, and that there is an entire colony of survivors who are immune just like him...however, he makes a heroic sacrifice after discovering the cure to said plague, allowing the woman and child that saved his ass one night to escape with it, and from the city, to get to the colony to give them the cure.

Oniya

Inkidu

I hope Avatar never gets a sequel, never! I'm just preempting this one...
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wolfy

Quote from: Inkidu on August 04, 2010, 04:24:45 PM
I hope Avatar never gets a sequel, never! I'm just preempting this one...

Which one? O-o..The Last Airbender set itself up for a sequel, and has room for two more 'books'...though considering it's a failure of epic proportions, I don't think it will happen.

akalasEDGE

...If you mean Avatar as in "blue cat people," there's one coming. It probably won't take as long as the last one, though.
But if you mean Avatar the cartoon, there's a sequel series coming, involving the next Avatar after Aang. (I'm hoping that Aang is as crazy awesome as Bumi was in Last Airbender... or that Zuko turns into the new Iroh. <3 UNCLE IROH)

...But! For things that don't need sequels... Saw 3? 3 of those movies was enough for me; i haven't seen any since.

Another would be Firefly, actually. I know, strike me down with lightning and various blunt instruments, but a new Firefly series would never be as good as the original, I think. The reasons it is so popular are that it was awesome, and that it ended too soon, but if it started up again, it'd feel forced.

Oniya

Quote from: akalasEDGE on August 04, 2010, 07:11:55 PM
...If you mean Avatar as in "blue cat people," there's one coming. It probably won't take as long as the last one, though.
But if you mean Avatar the cartoon, there's a sequel series coming, involving the next Avatar after Aang. (I'm hoping that Aang is as crazy awesome as Bumi was in Last Airbender... or that Zuko turns into the new Iroh. <3 UNCLE IROH)

I think they might mean the M. Night Shamalamadingdong affront to the Avatar cartoon.  He might have plenty of canon source material for two more movies, but we saw how badly he treated the first season.

Host of Seraphim

Almost all of the classic Disney movies. Way to taint my pleasant childhood memories of them by crapping out straight-to-video sequels just to make some extra dough.  :-(
Tentatively trying to get back into RPing...

:: O/O :: A/A (updated 3/2 -- please read) ::