Jedi religion founder accuses supermarket of discrimination over rules on hoods

Started by Lilias, September 26, 2009, 06:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Overlord

Quote from: HairyHeretic on September 28, 2009, 06:24:28 AM

Oh, and respect is not taught. It's earned. Try and teach someone 'respect', and you may get fear, or obedience, but you won't have respect.

Hairy, way I see it, if I have to go toe to toe with someone and can't have thier respect then I'll settle for thier fear, but I digress, this is a original topic that was blown way out of proportion and there's nothing really more to say on it.

Nimmy

Quote from: RubySlippers on September 28, 2009, 06:30:36 AM
I bet if he was a Jewish person they would let him where that little cap they wear if a gentleman, how dare the discriminate against the Jedi Faith. And he is like the Pope of that faith the founder so he sets the rules really for the Jedi's.

Part of the thing with the yamaka (yes, that "little cap thing" has a name) is that it's typically on the back or the top of the head, and doesn't obscure facial features unless you take it off and hold it in front of your face. Hoods can have the ability to obscure the face, as do some hats. That seems to be the main problem in this situation.

Inkidu

But the Jedi don't seem to tie the same religious sentiment to their hoods that Muslims and Jews tie to their hats.

Hat Etiquette

Historically though I think it's because you don't remove your hat indoors it is showing animosity towards the person or persons inside. A lot of hat etiquette comes from medieval helmet etiquette.
You don't wear a helmet to a friend's house you wear a helmet to battle.

It's like why we shake hands. That comes from showing you have no weapon. Thus come in peace and good will.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Nimeneth on September 28, 2009, 05:08:02 PM
Part of the thing with the yamaka (yes, that "little cap thing" has a name) is that it's typically on the back or the top of the head, and doesn't obscure facial features unless you take it off and hold it in front of your face. Hoods can have the ability to obscure the face, as do some hats. That seems to be the main problem in this situation.

Exactly.  The rule isn't to discriminate against anyone.  It's to protect everyone.
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

Nimmy

Exactly. I'm not out to steal anything or harm anyone, but typically upon entering a building I remove my hat/hood. It's for both protection and, like Inkidu said, respect. It's just the way I was brought up. (On a related note, the one thing I don't remove is my "sunglasses" but that's because my glasses have transition lenses and I'm horrifically nearsighted without them. They tend to get light enough within a few minutes that it shouldn't cause a problem.)

Revolverman

once you step onto someone elses property (such as the store in question) you don't really have any right to privacy (at least, in the way of your person), because they only let you on to their property if you obey there rules.

If you do not wish to have you face be seen over a security camera, do not go to that store. Simple as that. It is not like they are watching you on your own property.

Inkidu

Quote from: Revolverman on September 28, 2009, 08:24:11 PM
once you step onto someone elses property (such as the store in question) you don't really have any right to privacy (at least, in the way of your person), because they only let you on to their property if you obey there rules.

If you do not wish to have you face be seen over a security camera, do not go to that store. Simple as that. It is not like they are watching you on your own property.
True, as long as they don't discriminate in an illegal way. I doubt the Jedi hood has that much religious importance to the order. Then again I haven't read the extended universe so what the heck do I know. *Oh snap*
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Moon and Star

Quote from: Inkidu on September 27, 2009, 09:43:04 AM
Well I've always wondered would a regular lead bullet be deflected by a lightsaber.

Actually, A regular led bullet would be stopped by a lightsaber. A revolver in the Star War universe would be branded a 'slug thrower'. If you want a ranged weapon to kill a Jedi or Sith... invest in a Verpine shatter gun. Essentially a hand held rail gun. Just... ah... make sure you aren't too attached to anything next to or directly behind your intended target. I'm not entirely sure what will be left of the target.

Now when your target is an idiot teenager who claims to be a practicing Jedi, yet doesn't act like one, or seem to know any basic canon... Yeah you're pretty much free to use whatever weapon you want. :P

Inkidu

Quote from: Moon and Star on September 28, 2009, 09:09:35 PM
Actually, A regular led bullet would be stopped by a lightsaber. A revolver in the Star War universe would be branded a 'slug thrower'. If you want a ranged weapon to kill a Jedi or Sith... invest in a Verpine shatter gun. Essentially a hand held rail gun. Just... ah... make sure you aren't too attached to anything next to or directly behind your intended target. I'm not entirely sure what will be left of the target.

Now when your target is an idiot teenager who claims to be a practicing Jedi, yet doesn't act like one, or seem to know any basic canon... Yeah you're pretty much free to use whatever weapon you want. :P
Well all I'm saying is:

A.) If a lightsaber is a tube of magnetically contained plasma then the magnetic field would not repel the lead in a bullet, so it might atomize before it hits the Jedi.

B.)You ain't stopping all those little pellets from a twelve gauge and some 00. it just can't be done.

C.)Both methods work great on snotty Jedi teenagers.

Moon and Star

Quote from: Inkidu on September 28, 2009, 10:09:02 PM
Well all I'm saying is:

A.) If a lightsaber is a tube of magnetically contained plasma then the magnetic field would not repel the lead in a bullet, so it might atomize before it hits the Jedi.

B.)You ain't stopping all those little pellets from a twelve gauge and some 00. it just can't be done.

C.)Both methods work great on snotty Jedi teenagers.

A: Possibly.

B: Well the lightsaber might not stop it... It's still possible a Jedi in question might go all Neo from the Matrix on the shooter, which is still a possible pitfall for A as well.

C: Hell yes. 8-)

Inkidu

Quote from: Moon and Star on September 28, 2009, 10:19:53 PM
A: Possibly.

B: Well the lightsaber might not stop it... It's still possible a Jedi in question might go all Neo from the Matrix on the shooter, which is still a possible pitfall for A as well.

C: Hell yes. 8-)
Pfft everyone knows how you beat Neo.

Ctrl, alt, del. :)

OldSchoolGamer

Hunter

Quote from: Inkidu on September 27, 2009, 09:35:18 AM
Besides any self-respecting Jedi knows you freaking take your hood off indoors! It's just rude!

No, no.   Any self-respecting Jedi wouldn't be recorded by the camera at all.   ::)

OldSchoolGamer

I have a hard time taking this "Jedi" seriously.

Star Wars is fiction, for God's sake.  Labeled as such.  We don't even have an L. Ron Hubbard-type setup going where Luca claimed to have had some sort of divine revelation or inside info as to how the universe operates.  Lucas no more believes in the Force than Clint Eastwood walks down Main Street with a .44 Magnum blowing away street criminals.  Now, LARPers are fine--maybe they take their roles a little more seriously than us pencil-and-paper gamers, but they understand they are ACTING out FICTION.  But this "Jedi..."

It's fiction.

These people need to get a life.

Oniya

If he actually embraced the philosophy (which as I recall, involved peaceful resolution of conflict and respect for all living things and their interrelation), I'd have some more respect for him.  The fact that he's making such a big deal over this - as well as not respecting the custom of the shop-keeper - shows that he's completely missed the point.

Most religions (and I'll lump mine right in there too), viewed from the outside, could be classed as fiction.  Heinlein never pushed the Church of All Worlds (from Stranger in a Strange Land) as a religion, and yet its followers (the ones I've met) have developed it into a viable philosophy.

Founder or not, this guy is just looking for an excuse to dress up.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Quote from: TyTheDnDGuy on September 29, 2009, 02:04:45 AM

Star Wars is fiction, for God's sake.  Labeled as such.  We don't even have an L. Ron Hubbard-type setup going where Luca claimed to have had some sort of divine revelation or inside info as to how the universe operates.  Lucas no more believes in the Force than Clint Eastwood walks down Main Street with a .44 Magnum blowing away street criminals.  Now, LARPers are fine--maybe they take their roles a little more seriously than us pencil-and-paper gamers, but they understand they are ACTING out FICTION.  But this "Jedi..."

It's fiction.

Don't tell the Australians that. It's an official recognized religion down under.

Lilias

Quote from: Inkidu on September 29, 2009, 07:35:56 AM
Don't tell the Australians that. It's an official recognized religion down under.

Likewise in the UK (390,127 members, 0.79% of the population at the 2001 census). The incident would have been a lot more amusing otherwise.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Will

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good security camera. :D
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

RubySlippers

Quote from: TyTheDnDGuy on September 29, 2009, 02:04:45 AM

It's fiction.

Who says under Multiverse Theory taken to the natural limits there could be at least one unvierse WITH Jedi and Sith in it, in a Galaxy far far away. So it might not be fiction just fiction in this reality we are in.

Inkidu

Quote from: RubySlippers on September 29, 2009, 03:53:40 PM
Who says under Multiverse Theory taken to the natural limits there could be at least one unvierse WITH Jedi and Sith in it, in a Galaxy far far away. So it might not be fiction just fiction in this reality we are in.
If there is a multi-verse. (Ironically the idea exists more in fiction, than actual scientific theory)

Galleon

The philosophy is fine, but it suffers from all religious drawbacks, it became organised.

ShrowdedPoet

I have to disagree.  Organization is great.  What most religions lack is organization.  Take most christians for example.  There are a million different branches and each of them scream that they are the only correct branch.  Yeah, reak organized!
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

Inkidu

Quote from: ShrowdedPoet on October 01, 2009, 10:15:59 AM
I have to disagree.  Organization is great.  What most religions lack is organization.  Take most christians for example.  There are a million different branches and each of them scream that they are the only correct branch.  Yeah, reak organized!
Hey, every Christian used to be Catholic.

OldSchoolGamer