Cyberpunk / Near future RP ideas

Started by Beorning, June 18, 2012, 03:44:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

Okay, I could use some creative assistance right now :)

I'm trying to put a GURPS solo RP together. Both me and my player would like to do something in near-future (cyberpunk-ish, even) setting. I don't have a specific story yet... Any ideas as to what such a RP could be about?

Chris Brady

How big are you going for?  Epic adventure, or something more personal?
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Callie Del Noire

Well you got to figure out what sort of hook you want to put in.

In my old games (Cpunk 2020, and Shadowrun) I liked to use

-Technology. Corp A has developed something Corp B wants.
-Culture Shock. Gang Wars, Mob Issues.. fall out from old wars ('Borgs vs Moreaus)
-Alien Invasion: That was fun.. the players were caught in an alien invasion.. the aliens didn't realize how much Humnaity would advance in 2 centuries.. they jumped in, shelled earth with bombs that worked on the nitrogen in the air.. huge explosions around some areas..then the AIs running the mass drivers on the moon hit them with a few megatons of lunar junk.. insert massive ground war with neither side making a lot of progress and a lot of side journeys.
-Politics.

Lots of stuff. Read William Gibson's Nightside series.. Snow Crash.. they always inspire me.

Shjade

There's the possibility of something widespread of a viral nature, the cybernetic version of an epidemic. If most people have some kind of cybernetic implant or assistance software/hardware in this world, a massive disruption could be cause for discord and investigation amid reality-altering incidents for the characters involved. Sort of a cyberpunk equivalent for being caught up in a net of hallucinations or enchantment, giving one reason to doubt and suspect everything around them. Lends itself to paranoia.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Occident

What would the urbanisation level be?

Beorning

Thanks for all of the ideas so far...  :-)

One thing I should add: at the moment, I'd be interested in a story idea for a reasonably short game. We'll be playing by PbP and we'd like to complete the story in a few months or so  ;)

Oh, and the industrialization level would be high, definitely.